PDA

View Full Version : Making sure safe is locked

UNK
11-28-2016, 02:11 PM
How do you avoid leaving your safe unlocked when you leave the house? If I am in the house it is unlocked . My solution now is when I unlock it my house/car keys go on top of the safe. What is your solution?

Tabasco
11-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Keep mine locked at all times, when I'm home I always have my carry gun and a Rem. 870 in a Mossberg Lock Box handy. SOP after leaving the safe un-locked too many times. Gun Vault with touch pad is also handy in such a situation.

SJC3081
11-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Use a Digital keypad lock, keep it locked at all times it will only take two seconds to unlock.

Peally
11-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Why have it unlocked? If that's the case I assume accessible firearms aren't an issue (IE kids), so just leave something ready to rock out, or carry around the house.

Matt O
11-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Safe is locked at all times unless I am actively using it. If I'm home, I'm carrying.

ASH556
11-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Safe stays unlocked overnight, also pistol and shotgun by bedside. In the morning, pistol goes on the belt, shotgun goes back in the safe and safe gets locked...every single day.

TAZ
11-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Used to leave my keys in or on the safe. Once I got my permit the safe stays locked and my carry gun is either on me or put away.

MD7305
11-28-2016, 03:28 PM
I leave mine locked at all times unless I'm accessing for whatever reason. I keep implements out of the safe for readiness but will secure them when I'm not home. My reasoning might sound silly but it prevents me from ever accidentally leaving it unlocked (kids, thieves, a wife unaware of "all" contents) and I have a (perhaps irrational?) fear that someone will break in that part of the home and have access to contents leaving me out gunned.

JAD
11-28-2016, 04:03 PM
I keep my carry pistol in a separate little safe. It is otherwise empty and stays open from 0400 to 2300.

UNK
11-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Because there is more firepower there than I am willing to carry.

Why have it unlocked? If that's the case I assume accessible firearms aren't an issue (IE kids), so just leave something ready to rock out, or carry around the house.

Cypher
11-28-2016, 05:39 PM
As others have said I carry at home and leave the safe locked. I just upgraded to a Liberty safe but the one I had had a key lock and I just left my key ring/wallet hanging from the lock. That way I was sure to check the safe before leaving the house and I always knew where my keys were

Hambo
11-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Because there is more firepower there than I am willing to carry.

Probably more than you can use at one time. If you want a long gun available quickly while you're home, take it out and lock the safe. When you leave put it in the safe and lock it.

SAWBONES
11-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Locked unless getting guns out or putting guns into safe.

GMSweet
11-28-2016, 09:19 PM
I carry at home, but I unlock the safe when I get home for quick access the to the long guns. My keys stay in the lock until I get ready for work in the morning. The safe is in a closet 10' from my head.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

UNK
11-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Ditto

I carry at home, but I unlock the safe when I get home for quick access the to the long guns. My keys stay in the lock until I get ready for work in the morning. The safe is in a closet 10' from my head.

UNK
11-28-2016, 09:24 PM
May I ask the reasoning behind this?

Probably more than you can use at one time. If you want a long gun available quickly while you're home, take it out and lock the safe. When you leave put it in the safe and lock it.

GMSweet
11-29-2016, 02:45 AM
I'm not Hambo, but for me, I only have a couple rifles and a few pistols. If I had to have a much larger safe, I couldn't store it so close to my sleeping position which happens to be among the furthest locations from a primary entrance. If I had to put my safe father away from me, I would likely keep my pistol holstered on my nightstand as I do today and pull an AR out at night. I also don't have the blessing of children in the house so I'm less concerned about NDs due to improper fondling.

Hambo
11-29-2016, 03:55 PM
May I ask the reasoning behind this?

Sure. It seems to me that you want access to more gun than you would leave or carry in the house. Better to have one stolen than all of them if you forget to lock the safe. That's my system anyway.

Shawn Dodson
11-30-2016, 08:48 AM
I perform a security check to ensure all windows and doors are shut and locked before I leave. It takes just a minute or two to accomplish. I check my safes too. It's an automatic habit now. My wife sometimes rolls her eyes and tells me I'm paranoid.

That Guy
12-02-2016, 07:37 AM
How do you avoid leaving your safe unlocked when you leave the house?

Pure neurotic behavior, that's my solution. ;) I lock the safe, then I check I locked the safe. Put on a jacket, go check again...

I prefer to keep the safe open when I am home. It's a part of my plan to make dry practice easier - safe open, snap caps in easy reach... :) Also, sometimes I do like to spend time just looking at my guns. That there safe represents a huge sum of money and time - not the contents alone, but the amount of money that's gone into buying ammunition to shoot through those guns, not to mention the rest of the expenses involved in going to the range and matches... The idea that the safe would just sit there, locked and ignored, most of the days, sounds very sad to me.