PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19

daveyboy
11-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Any body use a Glock 19 for competition? How do you do with it???

jlw
11-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I use one in GSSF. I get better times and get less penalties with it versus my 17; however, I use the 17 in IDPA as the full length grip make draws and reloads easier for me.

In GSSF on the amateur level, I have been in the performance prizes several times.

gringop
11-27-2011, 07:23 PM
All I shoot in IDPA is my carry gen 2 G19. Made Master with it last year.

Get rid of the crappy stock sights, put in a "-" disconnector and run it.

Gringop

JonInWA
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Absolutely-and I've been exceptionally pleased with them. I have 2 Gen 3 G19s; one with Trijicons, Gen 3.5 smooth trigger triggerbar, coil trigger spring, "dot" connector, extended Glock slide release, and my new one which I discussed in the thread here on the forum:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1968-Brand-New-Gen-3-G19

It has a smooth trigger Gen 3 triggerbar, Glock steel sights, Glock extended slide release, a Glock "minus" connector, and a NY1 spring. It shot exceptionally well (for me) at a local IDPA match yesterday.

The G19 provides a very dynamic platform and quite good ergos, what with the abbreviated butt. It is very fast to acquire a sight picture from draw, and handles target transitions superbly. My G19s are used for carry, IDPA, and GSSF (the latest is in fact a GSSF award pistol).

Best, Jon

Arclight
01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
I only ever shoot local club matches but I've always done just fine with the G19, often outstripping folks with more gamer setups.

Some of it is about your perspective -- I shoot matches for practice. You get out of the box, shoot multiple targets, use cover, etc., and all with some artificial stress. All things I want to practice with my actual carry gun, the G19. If your goal is just to win, win, win, then you may want something more configured for winning a game and maybe less suitable for daily use. So, first figure out why you want to do the match, then that should help you choose gear.

That said, I was always happy to come in the top 5 (or #2, once) with my little G19.

Chuck Haggard
01-02-2012, 12:46 AM
I carry a G17 at work and a G19 off duty, so I switch back and forth between my guns and carry gear for the practice I get from working with my real gear and not some competition only rig.

iakdrago
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
i find that the transition between the glock 17 and 19 is not as fluid as it would seem. the grip angle is completely different. By that, i mean that i squish my hand to fit it entirely on the grip, which puts the glock "hump" in a different place in my hand when compared to my standard grip on my glock 17.

Chris914
01-04-2012, 07:59 PM
I use my G19 for IDPA and a G34 for USPSA. I have only shot a few matches with the 19 but since I carry it, I figure that is best to use to compete. I have done the majority of my classes both instructing and as a student in the past several years running the 19. I don't think you will be at any disadvantage with it at all. Since IDPA limits all Glocks to 10 rnds in the mag, capacity is not an issue.

VolGrad
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Like the Chief I score better in GSSF matches with my 19 vs my 17 or the 34 I recently sold off. I still shoot a 17 for IDPA but prob would do about the same with a 19, might even shoot the 19 some this year for comparison.

1986s4
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Just started using a RTF G19 for competition, so far, so good. Tried the G17, just didn't work for me, I think it's the difference in the grip. If all goes well with this 19 I will start carrying it.

NRAPistolDept
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Any body use a Glock 19 for competition? How do you do with it???

There are competitors that use a Glock 19 in NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi Cup, it would be an outstanding Production Division gun. Dave Sevigny won the Production Division with a Glock 34, they have a heavy presence in NRA Action Pistol.

NRA Pistol Dept...