PDA

View Full Version : Week 192: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Mr_White
11-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Week 192: Defoor Pistol Test 1

Results may be posted until December 25th, 2016.

Designed by: Kyle Defoor
Range: 25 and 7 yards
Target: USPSA Metric with additional B8 repair center. Download B8 here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281&d=1322428748
Start Position: Concealed and holstered for all strings
Rounds Fired: 15

Defoor Pistol Test 1 is intended to be run cold. In the video below, Defoor specifies a week or ten days of not shooting to meet his definition of cold. A lot of us aren't going to go that long without shooting. Do use it as the first drill of a shooting session without prior warmup, however.

Defoor also specifies 6 yards as the closer shooting distance in his video. The distance has since been changed to 7 yards.

Position the B8 repair center so that the bottom edge aligns with the C/D zone of the USPSA Metric target. You can see the positioning in the video.

String 1: Start with your hand touching the target. At the start signal to run to the 25 yard line, face downrange, draw, and shoot 6 rounds to the B8 repair center. Score the B8. Must have at least 50 points, must complete string in less than 30 seconds (including running uprange.) Over time shot or less than 50 points = FAIL

The rest of the test is conducted at the 7 yard line, with the B8 repair center now representing a hostage.

String 2: At the start signal, draw and shoot 1 round to the lower A-zone. It will actually be the upper half of the lower A-zone, directly above the B8. Must hit in under 2 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the reduced lower A-zone) = FAIL

String 3: At the start signal, draw and shoot 6 rounds to the lower A-zone. It will actually be the upper half of the lower A-zone, directly above the B8. Must hit with all shots in under 4.5 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the reduced lower A-zone) = FAIL

String 4: At the start signal, draw and shoot 2 rounds to the upper A-zone (credit card in the head.) Must hit with all shots in under 3.5 seconds. Over time shot or miss (out of the upper A-zone) = FAIL

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment used
Time and number of hits for each string
Pass or Fail
Anything you noticed

Kyle Defoor shooting Defoor Pistol Test 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJtczDAUul0

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

DEG
11-27-2016, 02:47 PM
No live fire in about a week, shot it cold early this morning as per the instructions.

Pistol, holster, and concealment used: G4G19-1, Fricke Archangel AIWB, cover shirt

Time and number of hits for each string:

S1: 18.45 seconds; 49/60 points = FAIL
S2: 2.21 seconds to hit = FAIL
S3: 4.5 seconds all hits = FAIL, unless below or equal to 4.5 seconds is allowed
S4: 3.28 seconds dropped one = FAIL

Pass or Fail: Fail(4)

Anything you noticed: I could suck less. I really hurried through string 1 and had over 10 seconds left to make sure I got my hits. Then too slow on string 2. String 3 was about the right amount of time I needed to get all of the hits at that distance, but still needed to be a bit faster. String 4 I put one high out of the box, but within the required time. I didn't run it a second time, but it was really tempting.

MVS
11-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Glock 19 w/RMR, Fricke AIWB, pullover concealment
String 1: 20.66 seconds, 54 points.
String 2: 1 hit 1.95 seconds.
String 3: 6 hits 4.99 seconds. FAIL
String 4: 2 hits 2.49 seconds.

The reduced A zone really messed with me. I had no problem getting my hits, but they were slower. I did some work on string 3 after the test and was able to bring the time down considerably. (3.22 best)

backtrail540
11-29-2016, 12:47 AM
I am done shooting, save dry practice, for the year and will generally not hit the range until March/April. I generally shoot the Defoor Test #1 as my warmup, so rather than go shoot it, I decided to just post a few of my latest runs instead.

10/14/2016
WCBT Beretta 92
Concealed in a JMCK AIWB
Shot cold as a warmup

1. - 50 pass
2. - 2.12 fail per time
3. - 4.19 pass
4. - 3.12 fail dropped 1 b

I was still working out the draw with the beretta and it showed, particularly on string 2 which is generally a given passing run for me but it escaped me here. Also I don't generally record the time of my 1st string @25, as I'm always under. I usually shoot it too fast and end up failing but note it if I go over. String 4 is the other spot where I generally f myself. It's a mix of passing, an occasional ot hit, or me anticipating one low as happened here.

10/21/2016
Chopped gen 3 glock 17
Concealed in a JMCK Wingclaw AIWB
Shot cold as a warmup

1. - 55 pass
2. - 1.85 pass
3. - 3.81 pass
4. - 3.00 pass

This was my last time running the test, and actually my best run of the test to date (my first time successfully passing all 4 strings consecutively). The 55 is my best score to date. Strings 2&3 were pretty typical, and string 4 was pretty good for me although I have passed in the 2.8 range before.

I really like the defoor test #1 and like it as a cold warmup. My two biggest deficiencies are not taking my time on the 25 yard string (i fairly often drop a shot into the outside edge of the b8 in what would be the six ring resulting a -10 and a 40's score) and anticipation on the credit card resulting in dropping a shot low.

Clobbersaurus
12-04-2016, 11:36 PM
I ran this test (kinda/sorta) today.

Beretta PX4, Blade-Tech OWB holster and belt, Blackhawk mag pouches.

Full Disclosure: I didn't use a cover garment. I had a vest with me but forgot to use it. Also, I could not get access to a 25 yard bay and had to run this test from 19 yards, so take the results for what they are. I only ran it once, and it was run halfway through my practice session, so absolutely not run cold.

https://youtu.be/96VUeukaMuo

BaiHu
12-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Envious of you guys that can run this. I'm stuck in a great indoor facility now, but my outdoor facility and I are no longer simpatico.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kevin B.
12-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Envious of you guys that can run this. I'm stuck in a great indoor facility now, but my outdoor facility and I are no longer simpatico.

From the last time this was a DoW: (Note: If and only if you are unable to run on your range--start at the 25 yd line, at the buzzer draw and perform the drill as above without running, but the par time is reduced to 17 sec.)

Seems reasonable to me.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4985-Week-39-Defoor-Test-1

BaiHu
12-05-2016, 10:15 AM
From the last time this was a DoW: (Note: If and only if you are unable to run on your range--start at the 25 yd line, at the buzzer draw and perform the drill as above without running, but the par time is reduced to 17 sec.)

Seems reasonable to me.

Good point, but it's the aerobic stress, IMO, that makes this kind of drill. I was considering burpees, but 1) that's odd at an indoor range and 2) I have torn ligaments in my right pinky right now, so placing my hands flat hard/fast on the ground is a no go.

Mr_White
12-05-2016, 12:52 PM

Seems reasonable to me.

Good suggestion!

Usually, if there is some aspect of a drill that prevents people from participating, and an adjustment like this lets you join in the fun, I am all for it.

Risto
12-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Shot cold, literally cold 19 degrees.

Passed on all the times:
-failed the 25 horribly.. fundamentals.... haven't dry fired in a few days
-failed the 1 shot
-passed the 6 shot
-passed the head... barely

Thoughts: really need to hone fundamentals. caught myself looking at B8 after first couple shots. Found myself holding trigger back on reset. I know my first shot after stopping focusing on trigger reset was way off. Feeling like I wasn't focusing on the front sight hard enough. Cold weather cloths made me worry about and rush my draw.

Clobbersaurus
12-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Good point, but it's the aerobic stress, IMO, that makes this kind of drill. I was considering burpees, but 1) that's odd at an indoor range and 2) I have torn ligaments in my right pinky right now, so placing my hands flat hard/fast on the ground is a no go.

On ranges where you can't run the bay, I have used jumping jacks as a replacement and a reduced par time. The looks you get from other people in the bay are kinda funny. :cool:

I'm under no illusions, I am very, very lucky to have access to such a great range facility.

DEG
12-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Trying again with the P30 LEM this time. Same as before, no live fire in a week and shot the drill cold per the instructions.

Pistol, holster, and concealment used: P30-1 LEM, JMCK AIWB, quarter zip fleece cover

Time and number of hits for each string:

S1: 24.67 seconds; 51/60 points = Pass
S2: 1.63 seconds to hit = Pass
S3: 3.75 seconds 4/6 hits = Fail
S4: 2.54 seconds all hits = Pass

Anything you noticed: I had some additional time to make better hits at 25 yards on S1; I just made it with a 51/60 giving myself the questionable one on the line between the 8 and 9 rings. I hurried through S3 and 2/6 went high. I didn't wait for my sights to settle back on the target, and there was time. S4 hits were to the left, but just made it in the upper A box. I'm going to pass this sucker yet!

DocGKR
12-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Had not shot for a week.

M&P9 w/RMR06 carried AIWB in a JM Custom holster from under a Canali double breasted suit and long alpaca overcoat.

25 yds: 21.14 sec w/59-1x.
7 yds: 1.73 sec w/good hit, 4.21 sec w/no misses, 2.96 sec w/good hits to cc.

Pass.

DEG
12-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Okay, I am sneaking in one more try a day after the cutoff!

P30, JMCK AIWB, quarter zip fleece cover.

S1: 24.18 seconds; 55/60 points = Pass
S2: 1.79 seconds for good hit = Pass
S3: 3.96 seconds 5/6 hits = Fail
S4: 3.25 seconds for two good hits = Pass

Anything you noticed: I placed one low on S3, and two others that just split the line. I still had 0.5 seconds left to get the hits on that string. Dropped one low on S1 at 25 yards but recovered. Everything felt pretty good, just need to work harder on some fundamentals to get past S3.