PDA

View Full Version : Concealment in crowded areas in close proximity to other people

mmc45414
11-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Just got home from three different grocery stores, my rig must be good! :)

ralph
11-24-2016, 09:58 AM

Usually, if someone puts just a little bit of effort in to concealment, you'll be just fine. When I first started carrying, I was concerned that everybody could see I was carrying... What I eventully figured out was, that most people aren't really all that observant, and most, never notice.. I carried a couple different pistols over the years, but I always end up back where I started, G19, IWB, with a reload. I can carry this in the summer wearing shorts and a tee-shirt, no problem . As long as you have a decent holster, and make an effort not to print, you should be fine.

LSP552
11-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Concealment is almost as much mental as physical/equipment. No need to call attention to yourself by constantly touching, which is something many new to concealed carry do. A quality belt and holster, combined both appropriate colothijg and the general public will usually be clueless.

RevolverRob
11-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Appendix is awesome for this express purpose. Usually the only people bumping against your crotch in public are people who are acutely aware that you're packing heat. Emphasis on usually...

Zincwarrior
11-24-2016, 11:49 AM
When Texas went OC I became much more relaxed about worrying about it myself.

Totem Polar
11-24-2016, 12:35 PM
I've always wondered about the classic "nobody ever noticed" type statements. I don't think I can spend a day out and about in earnest without making someone, somewhere along the way. Most recent was a guy in line in front of me at the hip neighborhood coffee shop last time I was in. Since I didn't say anything, maybe he thinks that nobody ever notices. [/shrug]

Now, whether any of this matters is a different issue. In an NPE, the answer may well be yes, otherwise it probably falls under the heading of intellectual curiosity.

I will acknowledge that this very issue was the main factor steering me to AIWB over the last couple of years. That, and this forum, I mean. :)

Hot Sauce
11-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I will acknowledge that this very issue was the main factor steering me to AIWB over the last couple of years. That, and this forum, I mean. :)Same. I actually prefer Mike Pannone's verbiage of covert rather than concealed carry. I don't want people to assume the bulge is a cellphone, but rather don't want people to see a buldge at all. Paranoid? Maybe.

I would say that there are plenty of people in my life who don't know I carry, and who I choose not to tell. With some, I don't know if they would mind or not. Others I don't know well enough. And there are definitely those who would not get it because of their diametrically opposed background and life experience.

I've heard other gun guys say that they tell anyone who doesn't understand why you would carry a gun to piss off. I don't think the world is so black and white. So my carry gear is covert as fuck. :cool:

FOG
11-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Only time I think someone noticed I was carrying was in a restaurant walking past a table full of LEO, one immediately looked at where the gun was then casually looked away.

I'll never forget the advise I read on this forum (can't recall which member to attribute it to) who said something to the effect that successful concealment has to do with a solid belt, quality holster and a healthy dose of a I-dont-give-a-shit attitude.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Eric_L
11-24-2016, 03:06 PM

No one said anything? Lack of comment does not mean they did not see.... I think this has been addressed multiple times over on total protection but the vast majority of people will say nothing. Neither will they react in any way you notice. I am not being hard on you, just an observation.

SAWBONES
11-24-2016, 08:58 PM
I don't want people to assume the bulge is a cellphone, but rather don't want people to see a bulge at all.

Exactly.

No one, no one at all, should have any reason to notice anything untoward about my appearance, or to even think of weaponry or armament of any kind, much less wonder if I might have a sidearm.

It's not paranoia at all, it's discretion.

11B10
11-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Usually, if someone puts just a little bit of effort in to concealment, you'll be just fine. When I first started carrying, I was concerned that everybody could see I was carrying... What I eventully figured out was, that most people aren't really all that observant, and most, never notice.. I carried a couple different pistols over the years, but I always end up back where I started, G19, IWB, with a reload. I can carry this in the summer wearing shorts and a tee-shirt, no problem . As long as you have a decent holster, and make an effort not to print, you should be fine.

Are you A---IWB or just I--WB?

11B10
11-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Concealment is almost as much mental as physical/equipment. No need to call attention to yourself by constantly touching, which is something many new to concealed carry do. A quality belt and holster, combined both appropriate colothijg and the general public will usually be clueless.

This ^^^ is so vital and so hard to do because you wanna be POSITIVE you're gtg.

mmc45414
11-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Maybe I didn't use the proper cynical smart-ass font here, I was kinda joking around about going to the grocery the day before Thanksgiving. What a zoo, an I had to hit three stores to snag all of the elusive specific ingredients.

But on topic, this was a pretty good example of how well good gear can hide your pistol. Had a 9c under a pretty tight dri fit type shirt in a JMCK IWB-V3 at 3:00. And not just standing around, but going down asiles with so many people in them it was difficult to avoid physical contact. And bending over trying to find that one last container of garlic powder that was hopefully still back there somewhere.

Sorry if I was too vague, this forum used to be called Romper Room :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

donlapalma
11-24-2016, 11:07 PM
In crowded areas, I'm more concerned about being made for my crop dusting than I am for carrying concealed.

Cypher
11-25-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm sure it's been covered to death but there are obvious tells. I was in a restaurant with my with the other night and I saw a guy wearing a Glock Perfection hat, sure enough I looked at his waist and I saw the bulge.

Maybe he didn't care but that's why you'll never catch me dead in any clothes with any logo on it.

mmc45414
11-25-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm sure it's been covered to death but there are obvious tells. I was in a restaurant with my with the other night and I saw a guy wearing a Glock Perfection hat, sure enough I looked at his waist and I saw the bulge.

Maybe he didn't care but that's why you'll never catch me dead in any clothes with any logo on it.

While on my grocery trip I was wearing my BMW hat, I am sure nobody has a way of knowing I do not ride a BMW anymore... :)

Glenn E. Meyer
11-25-2016, 12:06 PM
My favorite guy was a fat oldster at the market wearing a form fitting, bulge hugging black Glock Perfection t-shirt with a large Sneakypete holster. I mentioned sarcastically on another forum that I was tempted to wander over and say that you are not fooling anybody. Some responder said that I was trying to start a fight and if he were he, he would give me a beatdown. Maybe that was him? Haha.

My wife wouldn't let me out of the house like that. Yesterday as we went out for Thanksgiving dinner, the Glock and extra mags were discretely covered by a sports jacket. I also dropped a NAA mini in my jacket for a totally unacceptable to tactical gurus BUG.

Kennydale
11-25-2016, 01:38 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/e63a49efabf0e56eb123ace2bcf09018.jpg

I'm not a small guy I AIWB a G17 . I don't like drawing attention to myself so I work at CC

LCP in off hand pocket too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLG
11-25-2016, 01:44 PM
I knew you were kidding. Actually, I figured you were making fun of something I must have missed. :-)

Cypher
11-25-2016, 02:12 PM
While on my grocery trip I was wearing my BMW hat, I am sure nobody has a way of knowing I do not ride a BMW anymore... :)

P:cool:ser

mmc45414
11-25-2016, 04:01 PM
P:cool:ser
Well, technically true, but at least I have owned two of them, and I do still still ride, so I will rank myself at about a two on the poser scale of ten... :)

ralph
11-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Are you A---IWB or just I--WB?

Assuming you're asking about how I carry, If it's some sort of play on words, I don't follow, you'll need to explain.
Just I-WB, I'm carrying a Glock, and I'm not comfortable carrying A-IWB.

Cypher
11-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Well, technically true, but at least I have owned two of them, and I do still still ride, so I will rank myself at about a two on the poser scale of ten... :)

You know I'm kidding right?

mmc45414
11-25-2016, 08:17 PM
You know I'm kidding right?
Oh yeah, plenty of Smiley Faces. :)

And I am kidding too, I really don't think I am a poser, well maybe a little :)

But I didn't use to be a poser, damnit !!! :)

Cypher
11-26-2016, 12:20 AM
I know this isn't quite the topic but I try to be very careful about drawing unwarranted attention to myself. I mentioned earlier that I don't wear logo'd clothing what I meant was I don't wear anything with a gun logo on it.

When I first started carrying a gun I joined the NRA and I got the hat and wore it everywhere I went. I found out that it drew unwanted attention as did the NRA stickers on my car.

I also made the mistake of telling people that were friends of mine. One guy dropped me and another proceeded to spread the word to everyone he knew and continued to do so after I asked him not to. He continued the behavior to the point that I had to drop him. If I can keep that kind of hassle out of my life by simply keeping my mouth shut I’m all for it. I don’t give strangers any reason to assume I might be armed.

I carry at work so it's kind of a given but I don't discuss my personal life with my co workers. I have one supervisor who I've known for 20+ years that knows I even own guns but other than that when the topic comes up I go grab a coffee.

JAD
11-26-2016, 07:47 AM
What drives me batshit here in the Republic is all the fat guys wearing magpul and 1* tshirts tucked in to tight jeans with no ankle bulge. I have the feeling that if the Huns come over the wire at the Kroger I'm going to feel awful lonely.

Hambo
11-26-2016, 08:14 AM
What drives me batshit here in the Republic is all the fat guys wearing magpul and 1* tshirts tucked in to tight jeans with no ankle bulge. I have the feeling that if the Huns come over the wire at the Kroger I'm going to feel awful lonely.

I appreciate unarmed people in target indicator clothing. They buy me time by getting shot first, and I'm not caught in the crossfire of bad guys vs. fat guys.

JAD
11-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Plus they're concealment; cover if they're heavy enough.

Hambo
11-26-2016, 08:27 AM

I hadn't thought of that. A new version of the old cavalry tactic of using the horse for cover. ;)

blues
11-26-2016, 09:06 AM
I appreciate unarmed people in target indicator clothing. They buy me time by getting shot first, and I'm not caught in the crossfire of bad guys vs. fat guys.

Memo to self: Don't linger in the snacks aisle at the Kroger markets in Texas.

Hot Sauce
11-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Memo to self: Don't linger in the snacks aisle at the Kroger markets in Texas. If the cartridge doesn't kill ya, the calories will.

Drang
11-26-2016, 06:40 PM

I believe the technical term is "ablative meat shield (http://schlocktroops.com/2015/04/16/taking-one-for-the-team-or-the-ablative-meat-shield-rule/)."

RevolverRob
11-27-2016, 12:38 PM
I believe the technical term is "ablative meat shield (http://schlocktroops.com/2015/04/16/taking-one-for-the-team-or-the-ablative-meat-shield-rule/)."

Awesome.

Well...they sometimes have an ankle bulge that isn't an ankle holster but instead is a cankle...

___

As I continue to lose weight, I am appreciative of the fact that I no longer qualify as good concealment or cover in the event of a gunfight. I guess I'll just have to leave if I think a gunfight is imminent.

The only t-shirts I own with logos have band-names on them. Everything else is plain white or plain black, with an emphasis on plain black. Seriously...black. Black t-shirts are the best...I have about 40 t-shirts of which more than half are black.

mmc45414
11-27-2016, 07:30 PM

Not only that, but from a vanity perspective they (we?...) look better with the shirt untucked. More and more I have been leaving shirts untucked when I happen to NOT be carrying, just so people get used to seeing me that way :)