PDA

View Full Version : Best aftermarket barrel to improve accuracy in a Glock 19/17?

Comedian
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
I shot a PPQ back to back with my G19 and the Walther was noticeably more accurate than the Glock. It would be nice to make the G19 equal to the PPQ in this regard. Anyone have any recommendations? Im referring to, increasing the inherent mechanical accuracy. Im already well aware that a shooter needs to train a bunch to maximize the performance of a pistol.

JV_
11-26-2011, 06:03 PM
A fitted BarSto is on the top of my list for quality Glock barrels.

mizer67
11-26-2011, 08:11 PM
1.) Fitted Bar-Sto
2.) Fitted Jarvis tie w/a 2.) Fitted Briley
4.) Fitted KKM

That's my list anyway for aftermarket.

JHC
11-26-2011, 08:15 PM
A fitted BarSto is on the top of my list for quality Glock barrels.

+1 I plan to get a G17 or 34 set up with one of those someday too.

Joseph B.
11-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Bar-Sto are top notch IMO.

YVK
11-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Sample size of one: save your money, shoot stock. Yep, Glocks are not as accurate intrinsically as other higher-end pistols, but a) they are accurate enough b) I am not certain match grade helps.

I have a fitted Briley barrel for my G19, job done by Briley themselves. It came with 50 rounds worth of Ransom testing, 5 groups of 10 HST rounds each, average group aboutn3 inches, range 2.4 to 3.4. Unimpressive to me, to say the least. I was told Ransom was not a good way to test Glocks; what is, then?
Anyway, in my hands stock shot just as well as match grade, so I switched to stock.

Again, sample size of 1.

JonInWA
11-27-2011, 08:49 AM
If my skill level was truly at the point where I could significantly benefit from the incrimental performance gain from a quality aftermarket barrel, I might be inclined to go the Bar-Sto route. The reality is that the stock barrel does quite well (re: Sevigny, Vogel, Rogers, et al), and there are other software skills that I'm far better off spending my resources on.

Best, Jon

GJM
11-27-2011, 09:13 AM
While the plural of anecdote is not data, I have a fitted Barsto barrel in one Glock 20 and can tell no difference in accuracy between it and several other 20's with stock barrels. Now the difference in accuracy between a Barsto and stock 1911 barrel is night and day. I am not interested in an after market barrel in any plastic pistol except an M&P 9.

jetfire
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
If I recall correctly, Team Glock used KKM barrels in the Bianchi Cup guns, which is very accuracy intensive.

Savage Hands
11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Bar-Sto can provide a fitted barrel that will shoot a 1" group at 25 yards.

Comedian
11-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all reply's!

iakdrago
11-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Things that i would do to my Glock before changing out the barrel:

--Change the sights (if you have not done so--do it ASAP)
--Put a 3.5 trigger connector

That alone will help you decrease your 25 yard accuracy more than any barrel can--unless of course you are shooting 2.5 inch groups or less.
Until you can consistently hit ~2.5 inches at 25 yards the barrel is not the limiting factor. For instance: shooting ofhand i shoot ~3-4 inch groups depending on ammo at 25 yards. If i shoot of a sand bag i decrease those groups to ~2 inches. By benching resting i mitigate some of my own shooting errors when shooting unsupported. THAT is what i'm working towards with my offhand long distance shooting.

I'll preface by saying that i have not shot the PPQ a lot, but i have shot it and talked to those who have. The main difference that i believe contributes to the increased perceived accuracy is ergonomics. the PPQ had AMAZING ergos. A superb stock trigger, and for most people it fits great in their hands. The sights are good as well--especially when compared to the garbage sights on the glock. All of this makes the gun "easier" to shoot accurately and does nothing for it's inherent mechanical accuracy. Ill venture to say though, that if put in a vice both guns with shoot sub 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Most people can't do that consistently. Unless you are shooting sub 2 inch groups (sub 3 inch with bulk ammo) at 25 yards with your glock and are not satisfied--you don't need a new barrel. The above mentioned upgrades will carry you much further in that department for substantially less of a cost.

Hope that helps

echo19
12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I do love my PPQ. Ergonomics are better than Glocks and so is accuracy. But my department issues Glock. Nothing wrong with either. It's good to have choices.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

EVP
05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Bump

Comedian, just wondering if you or anyone else went through with the Bar-sto barrel that you were thinking about?

My p30 is noticeably more accurate then my gen 3 g19.

beltjones
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
If my skill level was truly at the point where I could significantly benefit from the incrimental performance gain from a quality aftermarket barrel, I might be inclined to go the Bar-Sto route. The reality is that the stock barrel does quite well (re: Sevigny, Vogel, Rogers, et al), and there are other software skills that I'm far better off spending my resources on.

Best, Jon

If you look closely at the guns those guys actually shoot in competition, almost all of them have an aftermarket barrel.

Like a lot of others I was a stock barrel guy for a long time, but I recently bought a KKM barrel to give it a try, and I have to say, it's a lot more accurate than the stock barrel.

LittleLebowski
05-15-2012, 10:12 AM
If you look closely at the guns those guys actually shoot in competition, almost all of them have an aftermarket barrel.

Like a lot of others I was a stock barrel guy for a long time, but I recently bought a KKM barrel to give it a try, and I have to say, it's a lot more accurate than the stock barrel.

Was it drop in?

orionz06
05-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Why is everyone tweaking the trigger to improve accuracy?

beltjones
05-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Was it drop in?

Yeppers. Here's what I noticed:

On average, about 10fps faster velocity than standard barrel.

Depending on load used, groups freehand went from about 4" at 25 yards unsupported to about 2". I don't really bench handguns as it's not the most valuable info for me, but the difference in off-hand accuracy was striking.

Of course the reason for the improvement could be that it was a new barrel vs. my old 2nd hand stock barrel. I can't rule that out. But I can say it was a worthwhile change.

beltjones
05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Why is everyone tweaking the trigger to improve accuracy?

For shooting from a ransom rest or something I suppose a really good trigger wouldn't improve accuracy. But when you introduce a human to the equation suddenly the quality of the trigger plays a big role in accuracy. There are multiple variables that we might take into account, such as shooter preference, a crisp break vs. a rolling break, length of the pull, and so on, but let's take a look at pure trigger weight. Pretty much everyone agrees that the more tense your trigger hand is the more difficult accuracy will be, and pulling a heavy trigger requires more hand strength and therefore more muscle tension. On the other hand, with a light trigger your trigger hand and can be very relaxed, resulting in a very dexterous trigger finger and very little "shakes" due to muscle fatigue.

orionz06
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Am I out of my mind for believing that to be almost a line of crap? The stock glock trigger is more than reasonable, IMHO.

beltjones
05-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Am I out of my mind for believing that to be almost a line of crap? The stock glock trigger is more than reasonable, IMHO.

I wouldn't say you're out of your mind. As I said, a lot of it is personal preference.

However, read through the many posts here about the limitations of the HK LEM trigger. Go shoot a really good 1911 trigger. Maybe play with some gamer's Glock trigger just to see the kind of difference that can be made.

You may still prefer your stock trigger - heck, my G34's I use for USPSA are virtually stock when it comes to the triggers. You also may find that your accuracy improves with an "improved" trigger, though how it is improved will be for you to determine. I can say that probably no one in the world seems to prefer a really heavy, long trigger with a bunch of creeping and stages and grittiness.

orionz06
05-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I am saying this in the context of pure accuracy. It seems that if one can't shoot a good group due to their ability to use the stock trigger that a barrel should be lower on their list than other items. That does not mean I prefer a stock Glock or HK LEM, or anything else. Just means that the shooter who is asking about barrels is likely good enough such that the trigger is not an issue.

beltjones
05-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I am saying this in the context of pure accuracy. It seems that if one can't shoot a good group due to their ability to use the stock trigger that a barrel should be lower on their list than other items. That does not mean I prefer a stock Glock or HK LEM, or anything else. Just means that the shooter who is asking about barrels is likely good enough such that the trigger is not an issue.

That makes sense, but when do you decide when the barrel is holding you back rather than the trigger?

FWIW, two weeks ago I would have totally agreed with you, but after playing with the KKM barrel I can say that even with an ok shooter it makes an improvement. I mean, let's say you yank a shot at 15 yards and pull it off target by 3 inches. Would you like to add another inch to that just because of the barrel? On the flip side, maybe the barrel puts what would have been a shot off by three inches an inch closer to the POA. Now I think, "hey, that was a bad trigger pull but I was still only off by a couple of inches!" The barrel "helped" get me closer to POA, but it's unpredictable, and to get the most learning benefit from practice it's helpful to have a gun that gives you the best feedback, and that means making your gun as accurate as it can be.

GOP
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I've left my trigger on the PPQ completely stock (because well, there are literally no after market parts for it AND I carry the gun), but I can definitely see the benefit of having a better trigger. On the last stage of the match last week, I pulled a shot by .2 inches or so off the head (on target but the call went against me), costing me a -5 and a spot in the competition. With a better trigger, maybe I don't miss that shot? I can see the value of a solid aftermarket barrel too, because having a more accurate gun is always better than having a less accurate gun. I don't have any of these option available, mainly because there are only 6 PPQ owners on the planet apparently, and 4 of them shoot 50 rounds a year out of their guns, so manufacturers aren't real excited to put out after marker parts. If I did, I'd look into it.

orionz06
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
You can still jerk a finely tuned 1911 trigger.

beltjones
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Given an equal jerk, a jerk on a 1911 trigger will not be as inaccurate as a jerk on a longer, heavier trigger.

Super J
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I have a bar sto barrel in my G34 and it's more accurate than the stock barrel.

GJM
05-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Here is a question for the after market Glock barrel users -- does the barrel which provides greater accuracy have the same reliability as the factory barrel?

GOP
05-15-2012, 08:53 PM

That's not the point, competitive shooters generally buy things to make their guns as good as possible. That tiny .3 inch difference can be a difference between a win and loss. I'm huge into training and I'm not much of a gear person, but if a piece of gear works and you have the cash, you might as well give it a try.

Super J
05-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Here is a question for the after market Glock barrel users -- does the barrel which provides greater accuracy have the same reliability as the factory barrel?

No reliability issues with my bar sto barrel in my G34

beltjones
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I'd say it depends on the barrel and manufacturer, but no problems (knock on wood) with my KKM.

LittleLebowski
05-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't say you're out of your mind. As I said, a lot of it is personal preference.

However, read through the many posts here about the limitations of the HK LEM trigger. Go shoot a really good 1911 trigger. Maybe play with some gamer's Glock trigger just to see the kind of difference that can be made.

You may still prefer your stock trigger - heck, my G34's I use for USPSA are virtually stock when it comes to the triggers. You also may find that your accuracy improves with an "improved" trigger, though how it is improved will be for you to determine. I can say that probably no one in the world seems to prefer a really heavy, long trigger with a bunch of creeping and stages and grittiness.

The Glock trigger is not long. Try an HK LEM sometime.

Was your KKM barrel drop in?

orionz06
05-15-2012, 09:43 PM
That's not the point, competitive shooters generally buy things to make their guns as good as possible. That tiny .3 inch difference can be a difference between a win and loss. I'm huge into training and I'm not much of a gear person, but if a piece of gear works and you have the cash, you might as well give it a try.

In adherence with the ideas of this forum, and others, software > hardware. It has now been at least 3 threads where people are asking about accuracy and the first response is buy a different trigger.

YVK
05-15-2012, 11:31 PM
In adherence with the ideas of this forum, and others, software > hardware. It has now been at least 3 threads where people are asking about accuracy and the first response is buy a different trigger.

I am shooting better groups with my HK LEM (harder trigger) than with Glock - must be better barrel factor.

I shot better groups with negative Glock connector than regular one. Same barrel, gun - clearly a trigger factor.

Were I to go back to Glock, I'd get the best hardware (both trigger and barrel) right off, so I could just forget about hardware and work on software without any second thoughts. If you take a dude who's shooting 50 rounds a month - yep, such approach is superfluous, stupid, whatever you call it. If you take a dude who, in adherence with the ideas of this forum, is shooting 10-14K a year, hopefully in a productive and intelligent way, then why not to take care of an easy part (hardware) early on, as long as money is not an object? I've been doing this consistently - my Glock came with match bbl (turned out to be a waste, but that's different issue), my HK went to see Bruce Gray. Expensive - yes; puts the ball in my court beyond any reasonable doubt when I see oh-not-so pretty target - hell, yes. Worth the upfront cost to me, everybody's else mileage may vary.

beltjones
05-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Now we're in agreement. Step one is learn to shoot. Step two is optimize your gear so your mistakes (which we all have) won't hurt you as much.

beltjones
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
The Glock trigger is not long. Try an HK LEM sometime.

Was your KKM barrel drop in?

There is a very good reason I don't own an H&K ;););)

My KKM barrel was drop in. I suppose a fitted barrel could be even better, but initially bought the KKM just to shoot moly reloads, not expecting an increase in accuracy. I was one of those die-hard "stock barrel is best" guys. However, once I used the KKM with a variety of ammo I realized I was wrong about aftermarket barrels.

Of course, I may reverse my stance at some point if the KKM barrel starts giving me problems, but that hasn't happened yet.

LittleLebowski
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm on the fence about an aftermarket barrel. Can't find a KKM drop in for a G19 anywhere.

Matt O
05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm on the fence about an aftermarket barrel. Can't find a KKM drop in for a G19 anywhere.

You could always order direct from KKM (http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_pistol_barrels/product.php?productid=19&cat=15&page=1)...

beltjones
05-16-2012, 11:15 AM

They're constantly out of stock. I spoke to Kevin at KKM and he hooked me up.

LittleLebowski
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
I sent KKM a note, inquiring about availability. I fully realize that buying ammo might be a smarter move but I'm somewhat miffed at having shot tighter groups through a Walther PPQ the first time shooting one (a PPQ) than with my G19 after years of shooting 9m Glocks.

I'll probably end up going with Bar Sto.

Savage Hands
05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
I sent KKM a note, inquiring about availability. I fully realize that buying ammo might be a smarter move but I'm somewhat miffed at having shot tighter groups through a Walther PPQ the first time shooting one (a PPQ) than with my G19 after years of shooting 9m Glocks.

Let us know how it goes! I may eventually Bar-Sto my M&P and Glocks :cool:

JV_
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm somewhat miffed at having shot tighter groups through a Walther PPQ the first time shooting one (a PPQ) than with my G19 after years of shooting 9m Glocks. That's the new gun honeymoon. It happens to me too, and it goes away after a range session or two.

You try harder, and focus on everything you're supposed to, rather than rely on auto-pilot.

Corse
05-21-2012, 06:54 AM
Has anyone tried the Wilson drop in barrel? I put one in a 17 and it seems more accurate, but no officsl comparison on my part. I find the light Hk lem trigger nice to use. It is long, but is almost 2 stage like.

GOP
05-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Yes, I do shoot a PPQ (after shooting a Glock before along with some M&P's, CZ's, etc), but has anyone considered that maybe the PPQ is actually a little more accurate than the other guns? I certainly think it is, or I wouldn't be shooting it :p

Comedian
05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes, I do shoot a PPQ (after shooting a Glock before along with some M&P's, CZ's, etc), but has anyone considered that maybe the PPQ is actually a little more accurate than the other guns? I certainly think it is, or I wouldn't be shooting it :p

I shot a friends PPQ back to back with my G19 last year. 1st time shooting a PPQ. I was able to get tighter groups every time with the PPQ, over the Glock 19.

EJO
06-08-2012, 01:42 AM

Did you ever end up getting a KKM or ordering the Bar-Sto? I've been on the fence but have thought about getting either a KKM or a Jarvis. Leaning more towards the Jarvis just because I don't like a shiny barrel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Packy
06-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Yeppers. Here's what I noticed:

On average, about 10fps faster velocity than standard barrel.

Depending on load used, groups freehand went from about 4" at 25 yards unsupported to about 2". I don't really bench handguns as it's not the most valuable info for me, but the difference in off-hand accuracy was striking.

Of course the reason for the improvement could be that it was a new barrel vs. my old 2nd hand stock barrel. I can't rule that out. But I can say it was a worthwhile change.

was your KKM barrel placed on gen3 or gen4 g17?

Steve S.
06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm going through this decision process right now, but for different reasons. I need a threaded barrel for my G19, and I'm falling into the "next rung of the financial ladder" syndrome.

Lone Wolf + Thread Protector - $160
Glock Factory + Thread Protector - $240
BarSto + Thread Protector - $325

Tough call. I did read DeFoor say that he believes you lose about 15 - 20% accuracy with something like a G19 instead of a G17/34, and the easiest way to bring a compact up to fullsize accuracy standards is a match grade barrel. (Going off memory here. I'll search for the original article later).

Since my journey has likely started and stopped with a G19 being my go to pistol, the question becomes is the BarSto worth twice the Lone Wolf - and where does OEM fit in?

CQC.45
06-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm going through this decision process right now, but for different reasons. I need a threaded barrel for my G19, and I'm falling into the "next rung of the financial ladder" syndrome.

Lone Wolf + Thread Protector - $160
Glock Factory + Thread Protector - $240
BarSto + Thread Protector - $325

Tough call. I did read DeFoor say that he believes you lose about 15 - 20% accuracy with something like a G19 instead of a G17/34, and the easiest way to bring a compact up to fullsize accuracy standards is a match grade barrel. (Going off memory here. I'll search for the original article later).

Since my journey has likely started and stopped with a G19 being my go to pistol, the question becomes is the BarSto worth twice the Lone Wolf - and where does OEM fit in?

Steve,

If I were you I would skip the LW barrel. The current ones seem better, but I have seen issues with them from time to time on others' guns. The other issue with LW is they do not offer metric LH threads which are important to me in a TB. The factory threaded have been working out well for me (both G17 and 19). I happen to have a Storm Lake for the G17 as well (received for free) which is doing well with the limited (<1000rds) I have put through it so far. Personally, I dont think you will see any gains with any other barrel unless it is fitted, if you want to go that route I would agree BarSto is the way to go...tho the price tag is heavy when you include the fitting service (unless you can do that yourself or have it done elsewhere).

Basically if you're just looking for a threaded barrel go OEM, if you looking for accuracy improvement (how much is debatable) go with the BarSto fitted.

My .$02

EJO
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I was in the same boat as you Steve and since I needed absolute reliability I went with the OEM Glock 19 threaded barrel. Half the damn price of my pistol but I couldn't run into reliability problems down the road and I was concerned that having a match barrel fitted, may cause problems. I have no evidence to support that, it was just a nagging worry in the back of my mind.

To give you a couple more options:
Jarvis barrel (fitted to slide by Jarvis) $305 with a thread protector
Storm lake barrels are now being sold by Brownells and the LE price is very competitive (not sure on civi price though) and it comes with a thread protector as well. I havent heard that many good things about SL though, well except on M4C but that applies to the M&P and I'm still not convinced SL is on par with Bar-Sto, Jarvis, or KKM.

I'm sure I'll put an aftermarket barrel on my 19 that isn't used for work, I'm just not sure which I'll go with. What's the old saying, curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought him back, I want to know the difference and in the end I won't be completely satisfied until I do it myself.

EJO
06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Meant to say I'm with CQC.45 on the lonewolf barrel. I'd skip it altogether.

rjohnson4405
06-08-2012, 03:36 PM
That's the new gun honeymoon. It happens to me too, and it goes away after a range session or two.

You try harder, and focus on everything you're supposed to, rather than rely on auto-pilot.

For me it removes anticipation because I really don't know when that trigger is going to go off, unlike my Glock which I have memorized.

Jon C
06-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I've found the Lone Wolf barrels to be at best equal to stock Glock barrels in terms of accuracy.

I've had outstanding results from KKM drop in barrels, and have seen a lot of them do good things so I have no issues recommending them. I have also seen a fair amount of Bar Sto barrels in Glocks and they're on par with every other barrel Bar Sto has put out...which is a really good thing.

For $215 plus $175 for fitting plus shipping both ways...$100 or so...I'll take KKM for $165 for the drop in. If you can fit one yourself or get it done locally I still can't justify the cost personally over the KKM from a value standpoint.

EJO
06-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Have you had any experience with the Jarvis barrel, Jon C?

Also, with the KKM was it literally a drop in or did it take a little filing on the hood?

Thanks!

JHC
06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking about the $160 Wilson.

mizer67
06-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking about the $160 Wilson.

I've heard Jarvis makes the Wilson Combat barrel. Not sure this is true, however.

I just sprung for a fitted Jarvis since I chipped a lug on my stock G17 barrel.

We'll see if it helps or not. I plan on doing back to back comparisons once I find a load the Jarvis barrel likes.

JHC
06-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I've heard Jarvis makes the Wilson Combat barrel. Not sure this is true, however.

We'll see if it helps or not. I plan on doing back to back comparisons once I find a load the Jarvis barrel likes.

Ahhhhhh interesting. Thanks. I look forward to the report!

Kimura
06-08-2012, 09:10 PM

That's funny because I heard that Storm Lake makes the barrel for them and I was wondering if that was true.

LittleLebowski
06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Did you ever end up getting a KKM or ordering the Bar-Sto? I've been on the fence but have thought about getting either a KKM or a Jarvis. Leaning more towards the Jarvis just because I don't like a shiny barrel...

I got the Bar Sto semi drop in and it did not "drop in.'

I stoned it to a press-fit and it ran through 200 rds of Wolf just fine but POI at 25' is about 1.5" low. I need to bench it at 25 yards and measure things in order to get a custom height front sight. Unfortunately, I've been short on spare time of late.

Jon C
06-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Have you had any experience with the Jarvis barrel, Jon C?

Also, with the KKM was it literally a drop in or did it take a little filing on the hood?

Thanks!

I had a Jarvis in a G35 years ago but I didn't have the skills to take advantage of it at the time. It shot as well as I could and ran fine, FWIW.

I have 4 KKMs that dropped right in to G22s as advertised.

EJO
06-09-2012, 01:27 AM
JHC, unfortunatly Wilson doesn't offer a barrel for the 19 otherwise I'd consider it.

Look forward to range reports littlebowski and mizer67.

Thanks for the info Jon C! I'm think I'm either going to try the KKM or the Barsto.

Steve S.
06-09-2012, 05:50 PM
So what are the options for a threaded G19 barrel, aside from BarSto, OEM, and Lone Wolf?

I'm not necessarily interested in big aftermarket accuracy improvements. Just want to hang a can, and not have a shiny barrel (black is a must). Anyone with enough experience to beak down things like pricing, accuracy increases, drop in fit, etc?

I've handled the Lone Wolf, Glock, and BarSto. Glock was Glock, Lone Wolf seemed kind of long, and the BarSto (fitted by Irv) was beautiful. It was so tight, it was scary. But the owner had no issues running Blazer, Champion, and even low powered reloads. The cost of a BarSto fitted is pretty extreme.

Honestly, a Glock OEM threaded will be more accurate than I am. I'm no amazing pistol shot.

CQC45 - didn't know you were on here, dude. I'll have to make a "Red Dot vs 1-4x on 5.56 carbines" thread so we can hash it out. It's about to be optic time for a build.

Jon C
06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd go with the OEM all day for hanging a can on. I like their LH metric threading much more for suppressor use, and trust their reliability and quality. It might save you hassles in the event of a warranty situation as well, I don't know for sure. Just thinking out loud...

The Lone Wolf and Storm Lakes are long, but that is to keep the cans from potentially hitting the frame when the slide is cycling and the barrel tilts, possibly impeding function. At least that's what I am told. My factory 19 threaded barrel works just fine with AAC TiRants and Evos.

Johnkard
06-10-2012, 06:07 AM
+1 for Bar Sto, expensive but worth it

Matt O
06-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I've also been considering an after market barrel for a while, but I just haven't yet decided if the juice is worth the squeeze for me at this point.

As a general thought, to help people get the most out of this thread, when stating one's personal experience with a particular brand of after-market barrel, it would probably be best to provide some of the following data points:

What size groups were you shooting with the stock barrel?
What size groups are you now shooting with the after market barrel?
Are these freestyle or benched?

The above questions also assume the shots were taken at at least 20+ yards, preferably 25 yards or so on a B8 or other measurable target.

Little Creek
06-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Yes. Most if not all people will shoot a pistol with a good trigger more accurately than a pistol with a bad trigger. There is a lot of aftermarket trigger stuff on the market and there are a lot of shooters who buy it, myself included. Glock triggers can be much improved just by polishing all the internal parts and installing a "-" connector.

Johnkard
06-10-2012, 04:42 PM
One of my shooting buddies just recently upgraded the trigger connector on his glock and the result was an immediately smaller group. from a 5 inch group at 10 yards with a substantial density of fliers, down to a 1-2 inch group with few or no fliers.

My observation has been that drop in barrels in a glock make little or no difference in accuracy, they only serve to add unneccessary tolerance to a highly functional system. I've seen maybe 2 people in the upper echelons of USPSA competition for whom it makes any noticable difference. And they would not carry those guns in the outside world because the fully supported chamber in the drop in barrels makes their gun drastically more sensitive to fouling. (we should all know that the hexagonal bore in the stock glock barrel makes it one of the most accurate and reliable factory barrels on the market. They should produce a 3-5" group at 25 yards if not better. I trust the hype because I've shot an 8" group with a glock at 25 yards unsupported, and that was the first time I'd ever fired a glock.)

Savage Hands
06-10-2012, 04:51 PM
One of my shooting buddies just recently upgraded the trigger connector on his glock and the result was an immediately smaller group. from a 5 inch group at 10 yards with a substantial density of fliers, down to a 1-2 inch group with few or no fliers.

My observation has been that drop in barrels in a glock make little or no difference in accuracy, they only serve to add unneccessary tolerance to a highly functional system. I've seen maybe 2 people in the upper echelons of USPSA competition for whom it makes any noticable difference. And they would not carry those guns in the outside world because the fully supported chamber in the drop in barrels makes their gun drastically more sensitive to fouling. (we should all know that the hexagonal bore in the stock glock barrel makes it one of the most accurate and reliable factory barrels on the market. They should produce a 3-5" group at 25 yards if not better. I trust the hype because I've shot an 8" group with a glock at 25 yards unsupported, and that was the first time I'd ever fired a glock.)

They can make a difference if fit correctly , and here is a great post on the results here:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98542

Johnkard
06-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow, thanks for the great post.

It's nice to see some hard data on the subject.

They can make a difference if fit correctly , and here is a great post on the results here:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98542

Steve S.
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree that Glocks left hand threading is superior.

It looks like KKM can thread it how you want it, but I haven't called to verify. So now at basically an equal price, how would it compare to the Glock OEM? I will most likely use the can for HD, secondary to an AR, so reliability is important. However, I'd still EDC the factory 19 barrel.

Is there generally a POA/POI shift when going from a factory to match barrel? What about going to the Glock threaded?

I didn't see it on the website, but will KKM oxidize the barrel black? Has anyone cerakoted a barrel yet? If so, do you skip coating the threads?

Sorry, lot of questions.

Jon C
06-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I know some guys that did some very controlled and professional testing and gained 30% accuracy with the KKM over stock.

My POI did not change on my KKM equipped G22s. I used a Lone Wolf in a 17 and it was about 3" left and 2" low from stock.

I don't think they do any finishing but you can have it melonited for a small charge by an outside vendor.

CQC.45
06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
So what are the options for a threaded G19 barrel, aside from BarSto, OEM, and Lone Wolf?

I'm not necessarily interested in big aftermarket accuracy improvements. Just want to hang a can, and not have a shiny barrel (black is a must). Anyone with enough experience to beak down things like pricing, accuracy increases, drop in fit, etc?

I've handled the Lone Wolf, Glock, and BarSto. Glock was Glock, Lone Wolf seemed kind of long, and the BarSto (fitted by Irv) was beautiful. It was so tight, it was scary. But the owner had no issues running Blazer, Champion, and even low powered reloads. The cost of a BarSto fitted is pretty extreme.

Honestly, a Glock OEM threaded will be more accurate than I am. I'm no amazing pistol shot.

CQC45 - didn't know you were on here, dude. I'll have to make a "Red Dot vs 1-4x on 5.56 carbines" thread so we can hash it out. It's about to be optic time for a build.

Ha yep. Not on here as much as the other site, but still try to make it over from time to time...alot of good content.

Anyways, I honestly think either Glock Factory is the way to go...watch LAV shoot a Glock factory barrel sometime (it's all I've seen him shoot), he will show you just how "inaccurate" they are lol. Having said that the BarSto are really good barrels, especially when fitted. They do offer Metric LH threading as well. You will probably see some accuracy increase, but for what you want to use it for I think the Glock Factory will be your best bet and by far the most reliable. I have not seen any POI shift from Glock factory threaded (either in my 17 or 19) and have not seen any with the Storm Lake threaded either in my G17 demo gun.

As far as ensuring the barrel is black (not an issue with the Glock factory obviously), there is a guy local to you who does very good work with milling RMRs onto slides along with special serrations...you may know of him ;). I believe he will melonite barrels for around $40 or so, but I would 2x check with him to make sure.

mizer67
07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
JHC, unfortunatly Wilson doesn't offer a barrel for the 19 otherwise I'd consider it.

Look forward to range reports littlebowski and mizer67.

Thanks for the info Jon C! I'm think I'm either going to try the KKM or the Barsto.

I finally received my fitted Jarvis barrel/slide and had a chance to do a little shooting this weekend with my Gen4 G17.

Unfortunately, in an extremely bad stroke of luck, right after I received the fitted barrel and factory slide back from Jarvis, the whole unit ejected from the package while I was trying to open it and I dented in and cracked the left rear corner of my slide in the fall. When attempting to straighten it out enough to get it on the frame, it only cracked worse, and eventually the corner of the slide broke off during dryfire.

So, I sent my slide into Glock and they replaced it for a $180 fee. With the replacement slide and Jarvis barrel (barrel which was fitted for my old slide, but still locking up tight with the replacement) I went to the range.

I'm out of practice shooting a Glock, having been shooting a SAO gun in the interim, but was able to turn in a 1.9" 10rd group with the Jarvis barrel @ 25 yards rested using my practice load. The best I could achieve using a factory Glock barrel for 10 rds @ 25 yards on average was a 2.5" group with the same load. This is all without searching for a load this barrel likes.

I'm convinced there's more in this barrel than I'm able to squeeze out of it at the moment. I was able to stack 5 rounds touching, forming a rough pentagon shape two times, but pulled several other shots that opened up those 10 rd groups to >2".

JAD
07-18-2012, 07:00 PM
So, I sent my slide into Glock and they *sold me a new slide*.

Fixed it for you.

In all seriousness, 10 round groups under 2" seem exceptional to me -- but I probably would have been content with 2.5", and would have denied myself your adventure.

mizer67
07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Fixed it for you.

In all seriousness, 10 round groups under 2" seem exceptional to me -- but I probably would have been content with 2.5", and would have denied myself your adventure.

I chipped a lug on my stock barrel and that made me want to replace it.

In truth, it probably didn't need replacing, but I figured if I was springing for a new barrel I might as well try a fitted aftermarket barrel just to see for myself if it made a significant difference. In my case, that's a ~25% improvement over stock, probably more.

However, group size itself doesn't tell the whole picture, the Average To Center ATC (or "roundness" of the group) is also significantly smaller with the aftermarket barrel. This also tells me my shooting isn't up to par, yet, as a few outliers ruin an otherwise excellent group.

JohnN
07-19-2012, 10:48 PM
If you don't mind me asking what did you pay to have the barrel fitted? Delivery time?

mizer67
07-20-2012, 04:45 PM
If you don't mind me asking what did you pay to have the barrel fitted? Delivery time?

I had Jarvis fit the barrel.

They charge $45 for the fitting and $18 for return shipping.

Door to door was ~4 weeks as they didn't have the G17 barrels in production at the time I sent the order, but do a run every 1-3 weeks.

mizer67
07-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Here's an example of my best of 2 10-rd groups from today with the Jarvis barrel, 1.4". The other was ~2.1".

Shot it back to back with the stock Glock barrel @ 25 yards for eval. I averaged 3.3" with the Glock barrel today. I have a higher POI with the Jarvis barrel vs. stock and my sights are slightly off since Glock re-installed them, all groups were right:

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/mizer2167/JavisBarrelGroup2wmeasurements.jpg