PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Newbie Questions

packfan
11-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, Just signed up and this is my first post.

I am a relatively new shooter and recently was indoctrinated into IDPA shooting. I have not had a competion yet but have done a bit of practice with some of the veterans of my club. I recently took delivery of my new CZ 75 SP01 Shadow which I love as well as an Ernie Hill belt, Bladetech holster and CR Speed mag pouches which were all part of the deal we put together.

I hope my questions are not too simplistic so please bear with me. What I would like to know is basically how to put this rig together so that it functions the best it can and puts everything where it needs to be. I've managed to put it all together but first want to ensure it is all legal. While fast times are not my main goal right now, technique and accuracy is, but I still would like to have no wasted motion and practice as perfectly as possible to get the technique down properly and do everything safely. I have seen this rig put on with the belts fastened at the shooter's back not the front and wonder if this is the way it should be done at all times.

Thanks in advance for the hints

Mirolynmonbro
11-21-2016, 02:48 PM
I think the belts fastened on the back are so USPSA shooters can place mag pouches at the front.

IDPA doesn't allow mag pouches at the front, so it really doesn't matter how you attach it

Sal Picante
11-21-2016, 03:00 PM
CR Speed mag pouches

I dunno if these are IDPA legal...

packfan
11-21-2016, 04:14 PM
What are the rules for mag pouches? Is my gun even legal? How would I find out if it fits in the "IDPA" box? I'm assuming there's an IDPA website that would have all rules and regs for equipment that can/can not be used.

Luke
11-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Are you running a double belt? Dems not be legal. The funner shooting sport (uspsa) allows stuff like that. I fasten my belt in the back because I like it like that and would never do it in the front.

JCS
11-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Are you running a double belt? Dems not be legal. The funner shooting sport (uspsa) allows stuff like that. I fasten my belt in the back because I like it like that and would never do it in the front.

How do you fasten the inner belt? Front or back?

Luke
11-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Inner belt in the front, get good leverage to really get it tight.

Zincwarrior
11-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Hey guys, Just signed up and this is my first post.

I am a relatively new shooter and recently was indoctrinated into IDPA shooting. I have not had a competion yet but have done a bit of practice with some of the veterans of my club. I recently took delivery of my new CZ 75 SP01 Shadow which I love as well as an Ernie Hill belt, Bladetech holster and CR Speed mag pouches which were all part of the deal we put together.

I hope my questions are not too simplistic so please bear with me. What I would like to know is basically how to put this rig together so that it functions the best it can and puts everything where it needs to be. I've managed to put it all together but first want to ensure it is all legal. While fast times are not my main goal right now, technique and accuracy is, but I still would like to have no wasted motion and practice as perfectly as possible to get the technique down properly and do everything safely. I have seen this rig put on with the belts fastened at the shooter's back not the front and wonder if this is the way it should be done at all times.

Thanks in advance for the hints

Pretty certain the Shadow and holster is legal. I've seena lot of CZ's. The rulebook has the exact dimensions.
The mag pouches are ok, the belt might be a problem.

The funner shooting sport
Fun is the view of the beerholder. I haven't noticed them to be particularly different on the fun scale (just different), but then again I am too old a bunny to mistake a shooting competition for a track meet and I don't spill my glass of bourbon for anybody! :cool: :)

packfan
11-21-2016, 08:23 PM
I am using a double belt. Again that's what was recommended. At least the gun, holster and mag pouches are ok. I'm going to call the gun shop I bought the rig from and see what they say. They were very helpful through the whole process and are all IDPA shooters so I can't imagine they would sell me stuff that will not comply. I suppose a trip to the IDPA site to review the rules and regs is in order too.

Thank you all for the info so far. I will be checking out this forum lots in the future for sure.

JSGlock34
11-21-2016, 08:42 PM
What are the rules for mag pouches? Is my gun even legal? How would I find out if it fits in the "IDPA" box? I'm assuming there's an IDPA website that would have all rules and regs for equipment that can/can not be used.

We are discussing the most recent IDPA rules in this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23020-New-IDPA-Rules); the first post has a link to the newest edition of the rulebook.

I agree with Les - the mag pouches look edgy to me due to the tension screw. Also, they may put the magazine too far out from the body. I've seen CR Speed Pouches on USPSA rigs, but I don't think I've ever seen one at IDPA. Then again, I haven't shot IDPA in a few years.

For male shooters only, ammunition carriers must hold the loading devices such that a 3⁄4 inch/19.1 mm dowel placed between the shooter and the device contacts both the shooter and the device simultaneously.

Magazine carriers with screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the carrier are allowed if the adjustment screw(s) require a tool to change tension, the screws protrude less than 0.125” (3.2 mm) from the outer face of the magazine carrier, and they meet all other magazine carrier requirements. Additionally, all tension screws anywhere on a magazine carrier must require a tool for tension adjustment.

Which Blade-tech holster did you get?

Mirolynmonbro
11-21-2016, 09:08 PM
I completely missed the part about the belt. Oops. Unfortunately double belts are not legal, but local matches don't seem to mind.

That Guy
11-21-2016, 11:57 PM
I am once again amused by the regional differences in IDPA.

1.3.1.2 Practical - Must be practical for all day concealed carry self-defense, and worn in a manner that is
appropriate for all day continuous wear.

Over here this means IWB or an actual concealment OWB holster and the rest of the kit is selected with the same criteria. Concealment garments are often hoodies, shirts and such that the person normally wears. In the states, it seems race kit under khaki vests are the norm. Same sport, totally different approaches. (Same thing with rule change comments before the 2015 rule book. Compare, if you will, the comments from the US and, say, South Africa.)

The important thing is, of course, that y'all are having fun. I am in no way saying that "you are doing it wrong" or anything like that. I am merely making an observation.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

Jim Watson
11-22-2016, 12:31 AM
The SP01 Shadow is OK. It is SSP but takes some contorted logic to get it into ESP if you want to shoot it there.

IDPA only allows a single belt and has a thickness limit. I don't know what Ernie Hill is turning out now.
Don't know about those mag carriers.

double belts are not legal, but local matches don't seem to mind.

Don't mind, don't know, don't care, don't want to turn down an entry fee. Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules.
I have not seen anybody called on the rig at even sanctioned matches except for location and external adjustments. Maybe occasionally somebody trying to get in a double belt.

Zincwarrior
11-22-2016, 06:33 AM
The SP01 Shadow is OK. It is SSP but takes some contorted logic to get it into ESP if you want to shoot it there.

IDPA only allows a single belt and has a thickness limit. I don't know what Ernie Hill is turning out now.
Don't know about those mag carriers.

Don't mind, don't know, don't care, don't want to turn down an entry fee. Rules, we don't need no stinkin' rules.
I have not seen anybody called on the rig at even sanctioned matches except for location and external adjustments. Maybe occasionally somebody trying to get in a double belt.

What exactly was the reasoning against the double belt initially? Do you know?

BigT
11-22-2016, 06:39 AM
On your CR Speed mag pouches you will have to replace the adjustment knobs with something that requires a tool ie a screw.

You will also have to cover the hole on the side, a patch will do.

As has been mentioned no double belts.

BigT
11-22-2016, 06:40 AM
I am once again amused by the regional differences in IDPA.

Over here this means IWB or an actual concealment OWB holster and the rest of the kit is selected with the same criteria. Concealment garments are often hoodies, shirts and such that the person normally wears. In the states, it seems race kit under khaki vests are the norm. Same sport, totally different approaches. (Same thing with rule change comments before the 2015 rule book. Compare, if you will, the comments from the US and, say, South Africa.)

The important thing is, of course, that y'all are having fun. I am in no way saying that "you are doing it wrong" or anything like that. I am merely making an observation.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

My gut tells me that your over here and my over here are relatively close to one another. I see plenty guys with fishing vests and the raciest holsters they can get away with.

packfan
11-22-2016, 02:46 PM
The holster is a Blade-Tech OWB Holster - CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, LH, Tek-Lok. From what you indicate regarding the mag pouches it looks like if I remove the tension adjustment knob it will leave a Philips screw head for adjustments. I guess it might pass as long as it is within 3/4" from body to pouch. The belt itself is rather thick so I may be better off to go to a single belt which would resolve this issue as well as the double-belt question.

cclaxton
11-22-2016, 03:18 PM
8.6.2.3 Cover 2” (50.8 mm) of the magazine as measured from the top of the cartridge rim down the back flat of the
magazine tube.
8.6.2.4 Cover the entire outer face of the portion of the magazine inside the carrier. The outer face is the side away
from the shooter’s body.
8.6.2.5 Hold the magazine within 10° of vertical relative to the belt. (80° to 100° relative to the belt).
8.6.2.6 Magazine carriers with screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the carrier are allowed if the
adjustment screw(s) require a tool to change tension, the screws protrude less than 0.125” (3.2 mm) from the
outer face of the magazine carrier, and they meet all other magazine carrier requirements. Additionally, all
tension screws anywhere on a magazine carrier must require a tool for tension adjustment.
8.6.2.7 “Bullets out” magazine pouches are not allowed.
8.6.2.8 Magazine carriers must be worn in a belt location where the front edge of the carrier or magazine is behind the
shooter’s anterior superior iliac spine (hipbone).
I am pretty sure the CR mag pouches are not legal because they don't cover the entire part of the mag inside the pouch. The screws/knobs may be okay...read the rule.

I like belts that let me unbuckle to go to the bathroom...difficult to do that with the belt in the back. Check our the Cobras.

Cody

cclaxton
11-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Double belts are not prohibited. BUT the thickness of the belt is limited:
8.4.1 Belts may be no wider than 1 ¾ inches (44.5 mm) or thicker than 5/16 inches (7.9 mm) and must pass through a
minimum of all but two of the pant loops.
I am willing to bet your double belt will be too thick.
Most people I know use the Wildnerness Belt or a similar clone. Also, look up Nexbelt...really cool ratcheting belt.
Cody

cclaxton
11-22-2016, 03:25 PM
What exactly was the reasoning against the double belt initially? Do you know?
Belts should be appropriate for concealed carry. Nobody wears a double belt for CC and cops rarely wear them.
Cody

cclaxton
11-22-2016, 03:26 PM
The holster is a Blade-Tech OWB Holster - CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, LH, Tek-Lok. From what you indicate regarding the mag pouches it looks like if I remove the tension adjustment knob it will leave a Philips screw head for adjustments. I guess it might pass as long as it is within 3/4" from body to pouch. The belt itself is rather thick so I may be better off to go to a single belt which would resolve this issue as well as the double-belt question.
I own one of those, except for the 75 Shadow (non SP-01), and at a sanctioned match just tighten your belt really tight and you will pass. This depends too on your body shape.
Cody

Zincwarrior
11-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Belts should be appropriate for concealed carry. Nobody wears a double belt for CC and cops rarely wear them.
Cody

They don't wear vests either. ;)

cclaxton
11-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Ahem...Actually when the weather is good, I do. And, I occasionally see others do the same.
Cody

Glenn E. Meyer
11-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Zinc is right about vests. Around here - if you see a vest, it is a fleece or similar outdoor warmth oriented vest. I think I've seen a 'tac' vest about 5 times in all the years here. I bought two concealed carry everyday vests and they sit in the closet or go to a class. Belts - you can find nice looking but sturdy gun belts that work everyday. I shoot out of my EDC holster and mag pouches with one of those belts. Putting on two belts and my pants on backwards - I'll pass. But I don't have a microsecond competition mindset.

Seems to me that IDPA is getting USPSA creep - meaning equipment nuances for winning as compared to practical carry. Isn't that why IDPA split from IPSC?

Jim Watson
11-22-2016, 07:20 PM
I have:
The original Team Mediocre match vest.
An Armadillo Concealment vest really specialized for competition with my sponsors' logos.
A tackytickle vest without logos bought on sale. Often worn to exercise class and subsequent lunch over sweats.
An unmarked quilted vest for cool weather. Saw one just like it on a blonde chick at walmart checkout.
Assorted oversize shirts, even Aloha shirts for warm weather.

HopetonBrown
11-22-2016, 07:34 PM

Don't have to wear a vest in IDPA.

cclaxton
11-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Zinc is right about vests. Around here - if you see a vest, it is a fleece or similar outdoor warmth oriented vest. I think I've seen a 'tac' vest about 5 times in all the years here. I bought two concealed carry everyday vests and they sit in the closet or go to a class. Belts - you can find nice looking but sturdy gun belts that work everyday. I shoot out of my EDC holster and mag pouches with one of those belts. Putting on two belts and my pants on backwards - I'll pass. But I don't have a microsecond competition mindset.

Seems to me that IDPA is getting USPSA creep - meaning equipment nuances for winning as compared to practical carry. Isn't that why IDPA split from IPSC?
Agree. See my post under New IDPA Rules.
Cody

cclaxton
11-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Don't have to wear a vest in IDPA. I often wear the fleece that I use for everyday concealment at an IDPA match.
Cody

littlejerry
11-22-2016, 11:17 PM
My humble suggestion to the OP is stop worrying about gear and go to the match. Worst case your score won't count. Since this is your first match it won't really matter.

Go shoot, learn, repeat. Then think about gear.

Zincwarrior
11-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Ahem...Actually when the weather is good, I do. And, I occasionally see others do the same.
Cody

Not in Texas. You would literally burst into flame 10 months out of the year. :)
During the summer I actually use a shotgun vest as its primarily mesh, but CC wise I'm a made man in the Hawaiian Shirt Mafia. :cool:

My humble suggestion to the OP is stop worrying about gear and go to the match. Worst case your score won't count. Since this is your first match it won't really matter.
Best post yet. At one local club, we often will have some guys running their USPSA outfits and just going NFS. Everybody enjoys playing with the bang stick.

Glenn E. Meyer
11-23-2016, 10:49 AM
The Magellan light weight fishing shirts from Academy are cheap and work as concealment in the TX Inferno. We shoot the matches in the Austin/SA area in those days without concealment. The people who compete up the food chain wear their vests for realistic match practice. Here's a rule change - if you live in an OC state - then make concealment optional. Yes, that will screw up the walking bill boards of sponsorship.

Peally
11-23-2016, 11:11 AM
I always just wore a sweatshirt with my watch in the side pocket for swing-ability. Never seemed to affect my shooting, the same guys always won.

packfan
11-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Littlejerry you're absolutely right. I have only been to two IDPA style practices so far and need to pay far more attention to shooting accurately/safely than to my gear. I only used my own gun and holster I made to work with a plain belt and borrowed mag pouch and did relatively well with that. I know more shooting is needed and with the helpful advice from my club friends the results will get better each time out. I really enjoy the challenge and was surprised how my nervousness decreased after I shot the first course. It is quite an adrenalin rush when things go well and I can only imagine how the nervousness might ramp up in a real match. Its definitely the most fun I have had shooting to date.
Thanks for all the help and advise so far.