PDA

View Full Version : Deer shot with 9mm--nothing new here

1gr8bldr
11-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Have you ever wondered if your the gun you depend on is capable of the task that you trust it to? Or wondered if your handloads are punching a hole or expanding properly? I have. So I decided if the opportunity ever presented itself, a short range shot, That I would harvest a deer with my 9mm. I know that the round is far from ideal, yet capable under very controlled circumstances. And deer are tough, but no animal can survive a lung shot contrary to the many tales of someone who assumed they had a good hit yet failed to recover a hit deer. My target shooting has revealed a pattern that I tend to hit 4 inches high, if I shoot fast, if I pull the trigger rather than traveling the trigger, and if I point/aim. These variables are consistent which gives me confidence. However, I can when needed aim the pistol, which is not how I like to shoot it. My front sight must be slightly buried in order to hit perfect. But I prefer to look at my target. The first shot was lethal but rather than watch the animal suffer, I chose to put more rounds into the deer in hopes quicker dispatch the animal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9yReNI5S8

Arbninftry
11-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Take your pistol hog hunting. The hog is harder to kill. It is very tough. You can find out what works and doesn't. Deer are easily killed with a handgun. Been doing it for years. You just need good ammo and shot placement.

Bill.45
11-20-2016, 04:48 PM
We had a policeman on our lease one year and he took one deer with his service auto, 9mm, just to see if he could. Yep, he could.

Jason M
11-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Ok, I'll admit that I clicked on this thread to see what was controversial. Before I complete my opinion of the information presented to the group I have several questions:

1. Was this a lawful (season and weapon type) hunt in your area designed to "harvest" an animal for food/trophy with a side benefit of testing your hand loads?
2. Was this a single test subject, live animal test to vet your hand loaded ammo?
3. What load/projectile was tested and was a necropsy performed to gather the data?

There are other things that I would like to know but those three questions will do.

J

Kirk
11-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Weird post.

Kyle Reese
11-20-2016, 05:31 PM

john c
11-20-2016, 05:44 PM
That's a pretty good first post and I enjoyed the video. My suggestion is to get a shorter rear sight or taller front sight so that your sights are on. Otherwise, that's a great looking buck!

john c
11-20-2016, 05:45 PM

In all fairness, he DOES have the video to back it up. ;)

SD
11-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Many years ago before NYS DEC issued nuisance permits, it was common knowledge the grape farmers in wine country shot deer with 22 cal. rimfire between the eyes. They ended up getting in trouble not for killing the deer but illegal dumbing of wildlife carcasses.

BehindBlueI's
11-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Have you ever wondered if your the gun you depend on is capable of the task that you trust it to? Or wondered if your handloads are punching a hole or expanding properly? I have.

No. I carry a well vetted pistol and well vetted factory ammo. They both have a track record, I've seen the effects of the shooting of people with them, and thus have zero reason to question them.

Arbninftry
11-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Ok, I'll admit that I clicked on this thread to see what was controversial. Before I complete my opinion of the information presented to the group I have several questions:

1. Was this a lawful (season and weapon type) hunt in your area designed to "harvest" an animal for food/trophy with a side benefit of testing your hand loads?
2. Was this a single test subject, live animal test to vet your hand loaded ammo?
3. What load/projectile was tested and was a necropsy performed to gather the data?

There are other things that I would like to know but those three questions will do.

J
Varies state by state. Not the OP.

As far as lawful, in OK Pistol hunting is allowed, it becomes a capacity question. You can only have so many rounds in magazine. Also has to be certain calibers, and no .22/17 rimfire allowed. Caliber regs on handgun will vary by state. But, pistol hunting has a cult following, much like bow hunters.

M2CattleCo
11-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Many years ago before NYS DEC issued nuisance permits, it was common knowledge the grape farmers in wine country shot deer with 22 cal. rimfire between the eyes. They ended up getting in trouble not for killing the deer but illegal dumbing of wildlife carcasses.

A gut shot animal will run off and die somewhere else, saving you the trouble of hauling it off. That's how I hog hunt. I don't want to attract more predators and scavengers that further endanger livestock.

Wayne Dobbs
11-21-2016, 10:06 AM
I've killed dozens of deer with handguns over the past few decades and did it last year with a Glock 19 with Federal 124 +P HST. It was a one shot kill, with the deer dropping in its tracks. I've killed them with .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP and handloaded .45 AR. All worked well, given good shot placement.

Lost River
11-21-2016, 10:21 AM
It would appear that the OP's post and title was purely to draw people to his youtube channel.

Frankly these kind of click-bait posts with "Controversal" titles get rather old.

I would bet money that he has posted the same crap on other gun/outdoor forums, for the same self serving reasons.

Lost River
11-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Nailed it.

A 30 second search revealed that he has posted the same self serving click bait bullshit on at least a couple different sites:

USA carry dot com

Survivalist boards dot com

Peally
11-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Noted and set him to ignore.