PDA

View Full Version : How to carry in Hill People Kit Bag

TheNewbie
11-20-2016, 01:16 AM
I use a Hill People Kit Bag to carry my gun CZ P-07 while I hike. It's a handy way to carry but I am trying to figure out a way to securely carry it loaded. I have what I think is a Dale Fricke "van guard style" holster. However it's so tight that it takes an insane amount of force to pull the gun out of the holster. So much so that it makes me nervous about an ND/AD trying to pull it out.

While I think it is unlikely that an ND/AD would happen just putting my gun in the pack, I am a little leery to do that.

I did some reading on the threads already on hiking and carry and the Hill People Gear Kit Bags.

How do you all carry? What do you all think of the Maxpedition universal holster?

Maple Syrup Actual
11-20-2016, 03:28 AM
Personally...g17, vanguard 1. Get a grip on the pistol, index finger in the ejection port. Draw and enjoy.

Although if I used a DA/SA gun I'd probably skip the vanguard.

At the range, of course.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
11-20-2016, 04:04 AM
I think I'm just going to use the maxpedition universal holster / strap thing. The vanguard style holster is well made but unusable for me in this role.

I'm just ver careful with firearms and want to be as safe as possible while keeping the weapon useable. You are right that it's probably fine to just put a Da/Sa gun in there but I just wouldn't have piece of mind.

A 92fs or USP eithe safety on would be a different story.

BobM
11-20-2016, 07:47 AM
I use an Original Kit Bag in the woods and a Runners bag for running. I usually carry a full size M&P and just put it in the gun compartment. I've used them since they came out and haven't had any issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hambo
11-20-2016, 07:53 AM
I took the loops off an old kydex IWB holster, stuck a bunch of velcro to the back of it, and stuck it inside the HPG bag.

Coyotesfan97
11-20-2016, 07:59 AM
I'm carrying a P30 in mine now.

GJM
11-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Fill the HPG with protein bars and your camera, while keeping your pistol in a George. Only half kidding.

Gray222
11-20-2016, 09:03 AM
I had a similar issue with my hill people chest bag.

I just tied a double paracord loop between both the holster and the loop in the bag inside, no issue since.

TXBK
11-20-2016, 01:05 PM
I just tied a double paracord loop between both the holster and the loop in the bag inside...

I do the same with a G19 or G26 and a vanguard.

TGS
11-20-2016, 01:16 PM
HPG runners bag seems to work dandy with midsize pistols without any holster.

If I was worried about it, I'd probably just buy one of the velcro Vertx holsters, or some other cheap nylon thumb break deal like the out-of-production Eagle fanny pack.

Dagga Boy
11-20-2016, 01:24 PM
I use revolvers in mine......this has never been an issue....:p

pangloss
11-20-2016, 01:30 PM
I carry a G19 or G26 in my kit bag when hiking. I also use one of the Fricke trigger guard minimalist holster and tie it with paracord to the bag. It does take more force to apply and remove these little "holsters" than I initially expected, but mine pops loose with no problem when I draw the pistol. I don't know what the variation is among these holsters, but if yours is really too tight, you could always heat it up and remove some of the tension. You could also e-mail Dale Fricke and ask him about it. The couple of times I've needed any advice regarding his products or wanted to discuss custom work, he was very responsive and really stood behind his products.

TheNewbie
11-20-2016, 02:11 PM
As you all can tell by my questions and posts here I have an active mind that is always questioning and searching. It's a blessing and a curse!

I'm a big fan of the kit bag, and short of open carry its my favorite way to carry with a pack. I can legally open carry in places like Big Bend, but I'm not sure I want the attention.

Maple Syrup Actual
11-20-2016, 03:41 PM
I carry a G19 or G26 in my kit bag when hiking. I also use one of the Fricke trigger guard minimalist holster and tie it with paracord to the bag. It does take more force to apply and remove these little "holsters" than I initially expected, but mine pops loose with no problem when I draw the pistol. I don't know what the variation is among these holsters, but if yours is really too tight, you could always heat it up and remove some of the tension. You could also e-mail Dale Fricke and ask him about it. The couple of times I've needed any advice regarding his products or wanted to discuss custom work, he was very responsive and really stood behind his products.
That's the solution imo...soften the retention on the trigger cover; tie it to the kit bag.

Retention on my VG1 is pretty gentle; I don't notice it during the draw.

LJP
11-23-2016, 08:23 AM
HPG holster from Contact Concealment is a purpose made solution that may interest you. I started with the Fricke Zach but have transitioned to the HPG holster to carry my G19 in a Snubby Kit Bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJM
11-23-2016, 08:38 AM
HPG holster from Contact Concealment is a purpose made solution that may interest you. I started with the Fricke Zach but have transitioned to the HPG holster to carry my G19 in a Snubby Kit Bag.

Neat. I cobbled such a thing together five years ago, but taking a Raven or something like that, and removing the belt loops. Nice to see they offer the HPG for so many model pistols.

GJM
11-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Here was mine:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Eagle.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Eagle.jpg.html)

SLG
11-23-2016, 08:43 AM
What bag is that?

GJM
11-23-2016, 08:49 AM
What bag is that?

Older Eagle.

orionz06
11-23-2016, 08:57 AM
That's the solution imo...soften the retention on the trigger cover; tie it to the kit bag.

Retention on my VG1 is pretty gentle; I don't notice it during the draw.

If you take a foldover holster and remove the retention screws it works well. A $25 Bladetech is usually the way to go.

SLG
11-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Older Eagle.

I think I recall it now. It was a later variant, after their original. I think Ben Lennet had a hand in it.

Doc_Glock
11-23-2016, 12:50 PM
I have used a Glock cheap plastic "sport combat" holster. Sewed into the inside of a bag for a similar purpose.

Irelander
11-23-2016, 02:49 PM
I use a HPG Original Pattern Snubby Kit bag and put my G19 in the back pocket. No holster has worked fine for me for many a run.

Lester Polfus
11-23-2016, 06:15 PM
I run a Glock 20 in one when I'm carrying a backpack with a hip belt.

I don't use an additional holster inside the bag. You may have seen it already, but there is a video on the HPG website where one of the Brothers Hill demonstrates the draw stroke. I practiced a bunch with it until winging my left arm up so it's out of the way of the muzzle is automatic.

TheNewbie
11-23-2016, 06:47 PM
You all have made my day! Now it's Mexican Food's turn to make me fat.

Rex G
11-27-2016, 06:20 AM
I have not yet used my HPG Recon Kit Bag extensively, but have not yet felt that a G19, with X200/X300 mounted, needed additional security when being carried in the Kit Bag, though my knees are not what they once were, so my ability to scramble up and down hills is about zero these days. I bought an RCS Vanguard, with the idea of using it, tied into the Kit Bag's loop provided for that purpose, but have not yet used it. I reckon it would be wise to start using it.

Olim9
12-01-2016, 06:33 AM
Would wearing this in a suburban area while running make me stick out? I want to try one of these but I don't want to be that guy everyone can tell has a gun right off the bat.

Spurholder
12-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Would wearing this in a suburban area while running make me stick out? I want to try one of these but I don't want to be that guy everyone can tell has a gun right off the bat.

I don't find their items to be overly tactical; still, the thing is , just what else would you carry in something like that? Having said that, I don't get strange looks while wearing my Snubbie. And, oh, by the the way, they appear to have a nice sale going on. Take a look at all their models, especially the Runner's Kit Bag, and you might find one that works well for you. Don't buy a Snubby for anything larger than a Glock 19. They're serious about that.

BobM
12-01-2016, 07:44 AM

Mine are black and I run in a black shirt so I doubt that very many people even notice.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-01-2016, 10:22 AM
I wear mine when running or fast hiking with no reaction at all. In a major city in Canada.

I'm sure people read it as "outdoor gear" and that's it.

Olim9
12-01-2016, 02:51 PM
just what else would you carry in something like that?

I'll most likely end up carrying my Shield and a small pouch for some cool packs I use. Would I be better off with the Snubby over the Runners kit bag?

BobM
12-01-2016, 03:45 PM
I used a Snubby for a while. With a G19 the pouch was a tight fit for my iPhone/Otterbox and my badge wallet and house key. I ended up getting the Runners pack.

Spurholder
12-01-2016, 03:46 PM
I'll most likely end up carrying my Shield and a small pouch for some cool packs I use. Would I be better off with the Snubby over the Runners kit bag?

For a Shield, I'd go with the Snubby with one caveat. The need to also carry a larger gun if you wanted. But if you're staying with a Shield, you'll like it fine.

That Guy
12-03-2016, 11:14 AM

When I saw someone wearing a chest bag like that in the Big City near me, that dude did stick out pretty well for me. But that might be because I knew what the bag was and was interested to see someone actually use one over here? (Besides, he got categorized as a probable good guy due to his good taste in gear. :) ) Not sure what the average city dweller would think about it, though.

jnc36rcpd
12-04-2016, 10:58 AM
If you're working out or in he woods, I think the HPG bags will blend in. You might be carying keys, a phone, medication, a wallet. Out to dinner or shopping, perhaps not so much.

SLG
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM
If you're working out or in he woods, I think the HPG bags will blend in. You might be carying keys, a phone, medication, a wallet. Out to dinner or shopping, perhaps not so much.

I have one in black for my formal dinners.

Andy in NH
12-04-2016, 01:38 PM
I had loop side of Velcro added to my HPG Kit Bag and then used a Kifaru holster and magazine retainer.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee212/adchesney/DSCF14741.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/adchesney/media/DSCF14741.jpg.html)

Notorious E.O.C.
12-04-2016, 07:34 PM

I've been using mine in a suburban area for three years. No issues, including a running route that takes me past one of our patrol officers waiting at the bus stop with his kid. Mine's a foliage green snubby modded with environment-appropriate camo - reflective tape and a couple of red Amphipod LEDs.

Spurholder
12-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Just bought another kit bag. A recon, this time. They have a sale going on, too.

TheNewbie
12-14-2016, 05:14 PM
I bought a cheapo 3rd world country style tactical nylon holster. They actually have a use! The holster works well in the HPG bag, if you put a little Velcro on back.

I have done a lot of hiking with mine, and have had no issues with people looking at me like I was crazy or they were freaked out because they knew I had a gun. The only problem I found on this hike was a tarantula on the trail. Oh how I hate them.