PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get started

Lamarley
11-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm currently in the military teaching firearms safety/marksmanship and was wondering what kind of advice people on this forum have about starting competitions. Especially what kind of pistol would be good to start out with. I have alot of experience with Beretta 92 series, S&W Sigma and M&P. Thanks.

Joseph B.
11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm currently in the military teaching firearms safety/marksmanship and was wondering what kind of advice people on this forum have about starting competitions. Especially what kind of pistol would be good to start out with. I have alot of experience with Beretta 92 series, S&W Sigma and M&P. Thanks.

What type of competition are you looking to get involved in?

orionz06
11-25-2011, 10:06 PM
What are you looking to get out of it?

Joe in PNG
11-25-2011, 10:11 PM
May I suggest just showing up at a local match and hanging out/ talking with the competators and Range Officers. You should get a better idea if that is going to be the sport for you.

theblacknight
11-25-2011, 11:07 PM
I shot IDPA and USPSA for a year before signing up for the first. If it wasnt for me not wanting to shoot without the holster I carry or a cover garment(I dont wear those fucking vests), I'd be a USPSA production shooter.

The most important thing is that you stay away from NRA Action:p

guymontag
11-25-2011, 11:10 PM
With the lack of context, and as a novice myself, my only concrete suggestion is acquiring Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos.

JeffJ
11-26-2011, 09:01 AM
I'll echo - just show up. In my experience, most competition shooters are a friendly, helpful bunch (there are always a few assholes in every group). As long as you're safe - they'll be happy with you and be glad you're there. You'll need an appropriate holster, and at least 2 mags on your belt (maybe 3 for USPSA) Other than that - just show up and be patient. Remember that the club members and SOs don't know you and that everybody (especially guys) show up and think that they are GTG. Most of the time, these shooters aren't as knowledgeable or safe as they think they are so when you're a "new guy" they will most likely keep you on a short leash - don't take it personally and realize that after a couple of matches you won't be the new guy anymore, especially if you shoot well and are safe and follow all the rules appropriately.

It might be worth an email to the local club to see if there is anything that they want new shooters to do different. The club I shoot with has a new shooter briefing before each match and asks new shooters to get there early, they also mark the score sheets of each first time shooter so that the SO knows. I've seen other clubs that want you to attend a separate orientation so it's worth making contact to find out.

Odin Bravo One
11-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I shot one IDPA match several years ago, and it was filled with the assholes, and way too many Know-It-All's for me to bother to return to that club.

However, my local range has recently started offering non-affiliated/informal matches. They are formal in terms of running a safe range, having some rules for safety, but it is "run what you brung" without divisions or equipment restrictions (again, so long as it is safe). But they are informal in terms of following a particular brand of competition. THe only two divisions are "Professionals" and "Everyone Else".

My girl showed up, out of the blue with her gun, holster, mags, and ammunition one Saturday AM, and the guys running the match, as well as the range folks, and other shooters were nothing but helpful. She had relatively little shooting experience (maybe 15 total hours of live fire starting from zero knowledge). The Match Officials and Range Officers were extremely polite and very helpful. Virtually every shooter was patient with her and her rookie questions.

If shooting competition is something you really want to do, get out and get after it. If the first experience is less than ideal, or less than encouraging, find another facility or venue. Don't judge them all by experience with one. Just don't go back to that one if it is a shit show. Use the web to find places within driving distance, and throw out an e-mail to the director, or RO's. Most are helpful and want you to show up and have a good time. More shooters is always good for the sport.

Joe Mamma
11-26-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd talk to people at local gun stores/ranges and ask about the types of competitions at local ranges (and schedules). Then I'd just show up at a match. It seems like you have to find the right person at gun stores. Most people are not in tune with what goes on in the local competition scene.

I don't know where you live, but it seems like different geographic areas favor different types of competitions. For example, there may be a lot of USPSA/IPSC matches, but no IDPA or steel matches. Even informal club matches can be great to shoot. Personally, I try to avoid the slow bullseye type of matches. I'm willing to shoot anything else.

Also, keep in mind that different types of competitions favor different types of guns, calibers, holsters, etc. So a Beretta 92 may be a great gun for one type of competition. But an M&P may be significantly better for another type of competition. Also, there are always some people with great equipment who do not shoot very well at all. On the other hand, there are also some people with pretty poor equipment that shoot very well. I don't look down on the former group because some people like having great equipment, and if they are happy, they are one up on everyone else. But, if you are trying to be a skilled shooter, you do not need the absolute best/most expensive equipment.

Don't get discouraged when you start. Usually you won't shoot as well as you should because of the pressure of a competition and unfamiliar setting. You'll also make some stupid basic mistakes--everyone does. But if you stick with it, after just a short time, you will look back and know that you are *significantly* better than before you started.

Don't be afraid to travel for a match. A lot of people will drive several hours to get to a match (and not shot a lot of rounds).

Joe Mamma

JB326
11-27-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm in shoes very close to those of Lamarley. I shot my first formal match this very morning short of a couple of annual police matches. It was an 'unaffiliated' Practical Pistol/ Shotgun match at a local club. Fortunately I somewhat know a couple of the regulars there and I got put into a pretty good group. Everyone was extremely helpful and supportive, and I had a good time. I say all of that to say (like everyone has), find a local match that interests you and go check it out.

Joseph B.
11-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Personally, I think IDPA is easier to get started in due to the lack of special equipment. You can pretty much show up with whatever pistol you have (outside of an open class, optic, compensator, etc type pistol). A box stock gun + 2 mags, a holster, a magazine pouch and an un-tucked shirt will get you started. I think SCSA is also an easy way to get started, but very limited practical/tactical transition. However, SCSA will defiantly help with the speed.

I will agree that there are a lot of know-it-all’s and more than a few rulebook Nazis, but I have also found that in all clubs, training classes, work related, type shooting events. There is always some guy, somewhere, who knows everything about anything shooting. The guy who can’t be told anything different or even the guy who is so good with his “title” that thinks you’re a dickhead for saying “hey I noticed this”. lol I say ignore the hell out of them, and watch for the guys who actually shoot fast, accurate and follow the rules, tactics, etc. Then ask for advice from them when you can, you will work it out just fine and you will have fun laughing at all those “HSLD” who show up now and again.:D

theblacknight
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Also

By the rules, your only aloud one idpa match as a non member. My local clubs don't care I shot for a year before signing up. Hopefully you find a like minded group of guys.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk