PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 press check

breakingtime91
11-17-2016, 11:02 AM
What technique is everyone using? I can't seem to settle on one.

LHS
11-17-2016, 11:14 AM
I come up underneath and use the stepdown at the front of the slide as a grasping point.

Mickey
11-17-2016, 11:18 AM
I have been using the first press check that EL describes.

https://youtu.be/5VP4X6FVa4E

jeep45238
11-17-2016, 12:06 PM
I have been using the first press check that EL describes.

Same. Didn't realize he taught this method until now.

breakingtime91
11-17-2016, 12:47 PM
awesome thanks everyone. Really falling deeper into the beretta hole. My head is saying get another p2000 and carry on, my heart is saying a 92 compact

pblanc
11-17-2016, 12:51 PM
I also use that first method that Ernest Langdon describes, which I have heard referred to as the "LAPD press check". This is pretty easy to do on a standard M9 or 92FS with the gun on-safe. Hook the index and middle fingers of the non-dominant hand over the right and left-sided safety levers and put the thumb on the upper back strap of the frame, then flex the fingers to open the breech. It is a bit harder to do with the Wilson Combat low profile non-ambi lever I have on my pistol, but it is still possible.

pastaslinger
11-17-2016, 07:09 PM
I either do it by the decocker levers sort of like how you would normally rack from the rear or I do it from in front of the ejection port on the slide flats regardless of the gun having front cocking serrations. I would not be comfortable doing it from the slide's step down near the muzzle.

ReverendMeat
11-17-2016, 07:28 PM
What I've been doing is putting my non-dominant (left) thumb on the beavertail, wrapping the rest of my fingers over the top of the slide between the safety and ejection port, and squeezing together (followed by decocking from half-cock). Though the method pblanc describes seems a bit easier so I'll probably start doing it that way instead (except for my D, because no safety lever).

Also bt the compact really that much smaller in grip length than a fullsize. I'd keep an eye out for a centurion instead, jmho

breakingtime91
11-17-2016, 07:29 PM
What I've been doing is putting my non-dominant (left) thumb on the beavertail, wrapping the rest of my fingers over the top of the slide between the safety and ejection port, and squeezing together (followed by decocking from half-cock). Though the method pblanc describes seems a bit easier so I'll probably start doing it that way instead (except for my D, because no safety lever).

Also bt the compact really that much smaller in grip length than a fullsize. I'd keep an eye out for a centurion instead, jmho

I would love to see a comparison pic if you have one?

farscott
11-17-2016, 07:39 PM
I do it by grasping the rear of the slide the way EL shows in the above video. I fell into that by accident when I started to deal with the lockup of Bullseye guns and Baer 1911s. Unlocking a new Baer 1911 with the sprung barrel fit is easiest done in the manner that EL showed. I have seen big, strong men not get a Baer 1911 to unlock, and I have demonstrated the "curled fingers" technique more than once.

I had to laugh when EL demonstrated what happens when one overcomes the hammer spring pressure as I did exactly that -- more than once -- before I learned a better technique.

ReverendMeat
11-17-2016, 08:47 PM
I would love to see a comparison pic if you have one?

I sold the compact already otherwise I would, hopefully somebody else has one and can show you

Colt191145lover
11-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Colt191145lover
11-17-2016, 09:16 PM
hope that helps 11726

Clobbersaurus
11-17-2016, 11:52 PM
I press check using a pinch grip (sling shot) with my WH. At the same time, while gripping the gun with my SH, I press my SH index finger into the flat of the slide. When I pull back the slide the pressure of my SH index finger seems to provide more control so that when I overcome the resistance of the hammer the slide doesn't fly back and eject a round. I've been using this method for a long time now and it works very well.

GardoneVT
11-18-2016, 12:07 AM
I also use that first method that Ernest Langdon describes, which I have heard referred to as the "LAPD press check". This is pretty easy to do on a standard M9 or 92FS with the gun on-safe. Hook the index and middle fingers of the non-dominant hand over the right and left-sided safety levers and put the thumb on the upper back strap of the frame, then flex the fingers to open the breech. It is a bit harder to do with the Wilson Combat low profile non-ambi lever I have on my pistol, but it is still possible.

On a 92F, flipping the safety down makes this much easier and spares the user from having to de-cock it from the half notch.

Paul Sharp
11-18-2016, 12:23 PM

I use this one.

Welder
11-19-2016, 11:21 PM
On the 92 Compact -- I agree with the other poster that there's not really very much "Compact" about it. They could have called it the 92 Less Big instead.

breakingtime91
11-19-2016, 11:27 PM
so basically just rock the 92 full size? I have been experimenting with a 92a1, thought a 92 compact could make it more "normal" compared to my p2000

M2CattleCo
11-20-2016, 12:04 AM
I always did a regular sling shot style press check, but while thumbing the hammer. With the 92 on safe it's probably the safest press check possible.

I can't do it like EL does.

Hi-Point Aficionado
11-20-2016, 09:41 AM
I come up underneath and use the stepdown at the front of the slide as a grasping point.

I'll also admit to doing this.

LSP552
11-20-2016, 09:48 AM
awesome thanks everyone. Really falling deeper into the beretta hole. My head is saying get another p2000 and carry on, my heart is saying a 92 compact

Sometimes your heart is right....

breakingtime91
11-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Sometimes your heart is right....

Going to my folks for the holiday.. gonna go to some of the local stores and see if there are any cheap 92s around that need some love..

Welder
11-20-2016, 05:27 PM
so basically just rock the 92 full size?

I'm not trying to tell you which size of 92 you'll like better, just saying it'd be best to hold one in person before you spend your $$. The 92 Compact is still a service-sized pistol in my eyes. The word "Compact" is a misnomer.

If I remember right, the full-size standard 92FS / M9 with standard barrel is 4.9".

Get one of the full-size 92's with a flush-fitting barrel (Vertecs, for example) and it's now 4.7".

Compact / Centurion barrel is 4.3". Which is still longer than the barrel on the full-size PX4, for example.

OnionsAndDragons
11-20-2016, 10:29 PM
so basically just rock the 92 full size? I have been experimenting with a 92a1, thought a 92 compact could make it more "normal" compared to my p2000

I do not like the 92 "compact". There just isn't enough of a size difference to matter to me, especially aiwb.

If you want a smaller Beretta, there's always the PX4 Compact which is very close in size to our beloved P2000's.

I'm with you on the matters of the heart here, BT. My pure shooting is still better with a TDA gun, even after this last year of 90% LEM time. I need to take a descrimination/thinking based class with a TDA now to really make a determination. I very much liked how I performed those sorts of drills with the LEM gun.