PDA

View Full Version : Week 190: El Presidente Three Ways

Mr_White
11-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Week 190: El Presidente Three Ways

Results may be posted until December 11th, 2016.

Designed by: Jeff Cooper
Range: 10 yards
Target: Three USPSA Metric targets
Start Position: Facing uprange, wrists above shoulders
Rounds Fired: 12 (We are doing six reps and will fire 72 total rounds in this DotW)
Procedure: Start with pistol loaded and holstered, facing uprange with wrists above shoulders. Upon start signal, turn and draw and shoot two shots to each target, reload, and shoot two shots to each target. No extra shots allowed.

Variations:

Concealment is optional (not required in either the Cooper or USPSA Classifier version.)

Targets spaced three yards apart (Cooper version) or three feet apart (USPSA Classifier version.)

Pistol loaded with exactly six rounds to start (Cooper version), or more than that (USPSA Classifier version.)

IDPA targets are optional.

For this drill of the week, we'll shoot this classic practical pistol drill six times and compare a few different types of scoring.

Shoot this drill twice with pass/fail scoring. All A/-0 hits to pass. Record hits and times.

Shoot this drill twice with time-plus scoring. Record hits and times. Your score is your raw time, plus .5 second for each B/C-zone hit, plus 1.5 seconds for each D-zone hit, and plus 2.5 seconds for each miss. No penalty for A-zone hits.

Shoot this drill twice with comstock/hit factor scoring. Record hits and times. Add up the points. Divide your points by your time to get your hit factor. For the sake of simplicity, if you are shooting 9mm/.38 Spl, you will have Minor scoring. If you are shooting .40/.45/.357, you will have Major scoring. For Minor scoring, A = 5 points, B/C = 3 points, D = 1 point. For Major scoring, A = 5 points, B/C = 4 points, D = 2 points. If you are using IDPA targets, score the -0 zones as As, the -1 zone as Cs, and the -3 zone as Ds.

As references, 10 seconds with all As was a benchmark in the original Cooper version. In the USPSA Classifier version (CM 99-11), the Production high hit factor (100%) is 10.261133 and the Limited high hit factor (100%) is 10.8012006.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any)
Variations used: USPSA or IDPA targets, target spacing, whether you started loaded with six rounds or more than that
Pass/fail runs: hits, time, and pass/fail for each of the two runs
Time-plus runs: raw time, hits and penalties, and total score for each of the two runs
Comstock/hit factor runs: hits and points, time, and final score (hit factor) for each of the two runs
Observations: anything you noticed or thoughts you have regarding the three different scoring methods

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

backtrail540
11-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Glock 17 rtf2 under a zipped up sweater
JMCK wing claw
USPSA targets, minor scoring, slide lock reloads

Pass/Fail runs
1. 11.41 12a Pass
2. 10.37 11a1c Fail

Time Plus
1. 7.65 5c 7a +2.5 penalties= 10.15
2. 7.86 1d 2c 9a +2.5 penalties= 10.36

Comstock
1. 8.94 4c 8a =52 pts HF-5.81
2. 9.77 1d 1c 10a =55pts HF-5.62

Pretty piss poor shooting. Way too many c's and two inexcusable d's. I decided to crank it up on the time plus runs and then failed so I brought it back in a bit on the comstock runs. I should have cranked it up on the comstock as the HF was higher on the time plus runs. Actually I should have just shot more a's in the same timeframe, obviously. I called quite a few of the c's due to anticipation/pulling the shots. I don't know what was up with that. I need to do some dot torture and work on pure trigger control as it was lacking today. Overall still a fun day but I'm disappointed in the amount of c's and d's (13 and 2 respectively) which cost me 45 points!!! I've only got a few sessions left before my shooting year ends so I'll probably spend those doing dot torture and 3x5 draws and then it's dry practice to get me through winter.

Clobbersaurus
11-21-2016, 11:27 PM
Beretta PX4 Storm
Blade-Tech OWB holster and belt, Blackhawk mag holders.
USPSA targets, minor scoring, full mags.

Pass/Fail:
1) 9.39 clean - pass
2) 9.13 1c - fail

Time Plus:
1) 7.04 Clean
2) 6.41 (6a,6c) + 3 = 9.41

Compstock:
1) 6.65 (5a, 5c, 2d) = 44 points HF: 6.61
2) 6.67 (9a, 3c) = 54 points HF: 8.09

If I had scored my 7.04 run as comstock it would have been an 8.52 HF. The wheels came off a bit when I tried to go a little faster. Rush, try, hurry, miss.

This is a great drill and I need to do more of it in live fire. The pass/fail scoring method was the only one I slowed way down for. I had some trigger freeze on my very last run which slowed me down some.