PDA

View Full Version : T3 300WM

Lost River
11-10-2016, 10:06 PM
I figured I would break away from the Scout Rifle thread, as the .300 WM T3 is not really relevant to that conversation.

I took it out again this morning with a new batch of ammo, after I settled on the RL-22 load.

Zeroed it 1 MIL high @ 100. This puts it dead on at 320 yards, and with the Mil reticle of the fixed 10x it wears, I can get out to a little better than 1k without turning a turret, if I so desire.

That said, since this is a sporter weight elk (oriented) gun, I won't be taking any 1K shots at live animals with it, as it is configured.

After zeroing, I ran my 2/3 IPSC MGM plate out to 450 and tested my data against the steel. It was spot on, so I chose a flat rock at a shade past 600, and put 3 onto it. The hits looked good through the spotter. Later I was quite surprised to see the group size.

At just past 600, it put all three into about a 2&3/4" spot on the rock:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Targets/IMG_1877_zpsgtef5jvp.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Targets/IMG_1877_zpsgtef5jvp.jpg.html)

At just past 800 though it really opened up. I only shot one 3-shot group, and the POI was about 4"s higher than my POA. The group ended up @ about 10"s, with 2 shots about 3"s apart, at the same elevation, and one shot about 10"s lower.

That is a pretty good indicator (for me) to keep the ranges a bit shorter.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Targets/IMG_1878_zpsd3dklgal.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Targets/IMG_1878_zpsd3dklgal.jpg.html)

Shooting position was next to a cattle watering hole:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Rifles/IMG_1875_zpsrlroxemc.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Rifles/IMG_1875_zpsrlroxemc.jpg.html)

Lost River
11-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Rocks are in the distance, to the left:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Rifles/IMG_1876_zpssixxb1uz.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Rifles/IMG_1876_zpssixxb1uz.jpg.html)

SLG
11-10-2016, 10:21 PM
That is a pretty awesome gun. And the shootings not bad either;-)

What bullet were you using?

OlongJohnson
11-10-2016, 11:29 PM
I wonder if your low round was just a slow one, or a big meplat or something. Seems odd the other two would be so close, and then that vertical difference.

Odin Bravo One
11-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Can't wait to move back west where I can stretch the legs of my .300WM....... I know I'll never top my best feat of accuracy of 12" plate at 2097, but I do still enjoy shooting at a grand and beyond.

Nice rifle. Nice shooting. Thanks for letting us look.

Lost River
11-11-2016, 12:19 AM
I am running a 165 grain Sierra hollow point boat tail game king. I have used that particular projectile extensively in the .308, both for targets and game (deer, elk, coyotes, etc). While it has proven a great game bullet and very accurate, I noted that in the .308 it really got blown about by the wind out past 600 or so. It has a rather low BC of only .363 ( another reason why I now predominantly shoot 155 grain Scenars in the .308s). That said, one of the limitations of the T3s (for magnum cartridges) is the relatively short I.D. on the factory mags. The 165 grain HPBT GK bullet, with it's more blunt nose profile works quite well for the .300 and the magazines.

Eventually I will more than likely send the McMillan stock to CDI, and have them cut it for their bottom metal, and to accept a standard .300WM AI mag, which allows for substantially longer loaded rounds. My heavy .300 that is in an XLR chassis takes AI mags and allows the .300 to be loaded to its true long range potential.

With all that said, given that I really don't intend to be shooting at live game past 700 or so (and preferably a fair bit closer) the rifle, as configured is more than sufficient for my needs.

Lost River
11-11-2016, 12:24 AM
I wonder if your low round was just a slow one, or a big meplat or something. Seems odd the other two would be so close, and then that vertical difference.

It could be one of those 2 things OJ, but I would be inclined to believe it may have just been me, with less than perfect fundamentals, shooting from a field position. The only real "cheat" is that I had an actual medium sized sandbag helping me at the back of the stock. I do actually quite often carry a small "sand sock" (about the size of a tennis ball) filled with plastic beads when hunting

wrmettler
11-11-2016, 12:50 AM
LR,
So, not to be forward, but if I drive my 300 WM to Idaho from Phoenix next spring/summer for a weekend, can we go shooting? I intend to spend a couple of weeks in Wyoming (Wind River Range) and Idaho (no idea where to go) next year, and would love to see your country.

Sean M - That's shooting 1/2 MOA at 2100 yds, with a 300 WM. My compliments.

SLG
11-11-2016, 06:30 AM
LR,

That is the only real issue with the Tikkas as they sit. The short magazine box and less than ideal twist rate. The twist rate may be mostly theoretical until you get further out, but my 300 is a 1:10, and accepts very long bullets. In my case, the berger 230's.

I really don't need another precision rifle, but now I want to get a 300 Tikka and drop it into a Cadex chassis. Should be pretty awesome.

I like the old school Leica rf a well!

SteveB
11-11-2016, 06:49 AM
What gorgeous country. I haven't taken my 300WM out of the safe since Africa; makes me want to take it out west and throw a couple way out there.

GJM
11-11-2016, 06:57 AM
If I had to pick just one rifle to hunt everything in North America, it would be my .300WM.

flux
11-11-2016, 07:10 AM
If I had to pick just one rifle to hunt everything in North America, it would be my .300WM.

If I had to choose one rifle for African open plains, it would also be a 300. But seeing I hunt more in dense areas, it's the 308 that's my go to rifle.

Impressive shooting, Tikkas are sweet

Lost River
11-11-2016, 09:37 AM
LR,
So, not to be forward, but if I drive my 300 WM to Idaho from Phoenix next spring/summer for a weekend, can we go shooting? I intend to spend a couple of weeks in Wyoming (Wind River Range) and Idaho (no idea where to go) next year, and would love to see your country.

Sean M - That's shooting 1/2 MOA at 2100 yds, with a 300 WM. My compliments.

Absolutely.

I am always game for range days and meeting fellow PF folks!

Lost River
11-11-2016, 09:47 AM
LR,

That is the only real issue with the Tikkas as they sit. The short magazine box and less than ideal twist rate. The twist rate may be mostly theoretical until you get further out, but my 300 is a 1:10, and accepts very long bullets. In my case, the berger 230's.

I really don't need another precision rifle, but now I want to get a 300 Tikka and drop it into a Cadex chassis. Should be pretty awesome.

I like the old school Leica rf a well!

I have been fiddling with some 215 Bergers in my heavy .300, but have not settled on a good load yet. It shoots the 248-1 stuff well, but I would really like to find a Berger load. I hear you about precision rigs. You really need to be in a part of the country that you can take advantage of them, and even then, just a couple, like a light 6.5 and a heavy 30 cal are probably more than sufficient. Trying to stick good glass on more than a few can get spendy in a hurry.

As far as rangefinders go, I keep saying I will upgrade when this one dies, but it keeps on going. That new Sig Kilo looks interesting, and at a price point that is unusual in the world of better quality optics.

Peally
11-11-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm always jealous looking at precision stuff. WI is so damn full of forest that even 1000 yard ranges are extremely rare.

SLG
11-11-2016, 10:33 AM
I have been fiddling with some 215 Bergers in my heavy .300, but have not settled on a good load yet. It shoots the 248-1 stuff well, but I would really like to find a Berger load. I hear you about precision rigs. You really need to be in a part of the country that you can take advantage of them, and even then, just a couple, like a light 6.5 and a heavy 30 cal are probably more than sufficient. Trying to stick good glass on more than a few can get spendy in a hurry.

As far as rangefinders go, I keep saying I will upgrade when this one dies, but it keeps on going. That new Sig Kilo looks interesting, and at a price point that is unusual in the world of better quality optics.

I still use my old Leica, but mostly for hunting. For many years now I've been using a Bushnell 1600 for LR stuff. Very effective, very cheap.

Lost River
11-11-2016, 10:34 AM
I'm always jealous looking at precision stuff. WI is so damn full of forest that even 1000 yard ranges are extremely rare.

I have the same problem at the cabin... No wait!

I would trade ya 50% of your trees for 50% of my sagebrush. :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Mackayjun10048.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Mackayjun10048.jpg.html)

SLG
11-11-2016, 10:36 AM
You can have my trees, I want my sagebrush back!

Lost River
11-11-2016, 10:54 AM

The .300 WM is without question a long time favorite magnum, but to be honest it would never replace the little .308 (for me) for a "one cartridge/rifle". As you very well know the sometimes vast, wide open terrain certainly favor a faster flat shooting cartridge, but the .308 has been getting the job done for me for so long, that it is unlikely that I will abandon it any time soon. It simply works, and is without a doubt, the easiest medium/big game cartridge I have ever loaded for.

Sometimes it does have its limitations though:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/LostRiverRangeOct08006.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/LostRiverRangeOct08006.jpg.html)

PNWTO
11-11-2016, 11:01 AM

Someone said they want trees? Feel free to take a cougar or two, we have a lot of both.

SteveB
11-11-2016, 11:23 AM

I love that SIG prints the owners manual in Afrikaans.

Lost River
11-11-2016, 11:58 AM
I did not know that. That is quite interesting. At the price point, if they work as well as many on the net say they do, I will definitely end up giving one a try.

texasaggie2005
11-11-2016, 11:59 AM

Someone said they want trees? Feel free to take a cougar or two, we have a lot of both.

I have trees, but I'll trade you some mosquitoes for a few cougars.

Lost River
11-11-2016, 12:06 PM

:D Believe it or not, the high desert to alpine transitional range (like in the pics shown) has a BUNCH of big cats, as well as bobcats, wolves and other toothy critters.

I was talking with a PF friend the other day on the phone and mentioned a cougar issue I had a few years back. The short version is that one decided to take the elk quarter I had hanging in a tree, while I was packing out the other quarters. Being alone, in the pitch black, and walking under a lot of trees, with only a headlamp for illumination, I decided he could have it. I strapped the antlers to my pack, and with .44 in hand I made good time back to the truck.

That is another reason why I see great merit in a polymer semi auto .45, with white light attached, as a practical sidearm for a western outdoorsman.

PNWTO
11-11-2016, 12:31 PM
:D Believe it or not, the high desert to alpine transitional range (like in the pics shown) has a BUNCH of big cats, as well as bobcats, wolves and other toothy critters.

I was talking with a PF friend the other day on the phone and mentioned a cougar issue I had a few years back. The short version is that one decided to take the elk quarter I had hanging in a tree, while I was packing out the other quarters. Being alone, in the pitch black, and walking under a lot of trees, with only a headlamp for illumination, I decided he could have it. I strapped the antlers to my pack, and with .44 in hand I made good time back to the truck.

That is another reason why I see great merit in a polymer semi auto .45, with white light attached, as a practical sidearm for a western outdoorsman.

We have a huge kitty problem in the Central Cascades, and not enough people want to hunt them since we can't use dogs anymore.

Totally agree about about WMLs for sportsmen.

Guinnessman
11-11-2016, 04:12 PM
What type of brake is on the gun? That's a fine looking rifle!

Lost River
11-11-2016, 07:44 PM
The brake is a Harrell's Precision

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/muzzle-brakes

They are effective, come in a number of different styles and sizes, and are rather inexpensive to boot.

Guinnessman
11-11-2016, 07:55 PM
The brake is a Harrell's Precision

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/muzzle-brakes

They are effective, come in a number of different styles and sizes, and are rather inexpensive to boot.

Thanks for the info! Your Tikka threads have me itching for a new rifle.

Paul D
11-11-2016, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=texasaggie2005;523750]I have trees, but I'll trade you some mosquitoes for a few cougars. /QUOTE]

I have shit. I will buy any geographical features from you. Hunting with a .375 H&H via "stalking" without cover was challenging. A .300 WM would've been nice.

Totem Polar
11-12-2016, 11:24 AM
^^^I like AZ, and it's always treated me well when I've visited. But yeah: that patch of land definitely looks like ass compared to the ID and WA vistas posted above.

Paul D
11-12-2016, 12:58 PM
^^^I like AZ, and it's always treated me well when I've visited. But yeah: that patch of land definitely looks like ass compared to the ID and WA vistas posted above.
Kidding aside this is an area in Zambia called the Kafue flats which is basically a lake that turns into a gigantic billard table in the dry season. There is nowhere to hide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Lost River
11-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info! Your Tikka threads have me itching for a new rifle.

Glad I can be a motivator!

I honestly am not an "only one brand" kind of person, and own/have owned about every major band of rifle out there, but the Tikkas have been so easy to work with, and have all the attributes that everybody mentions (no need to go through them again), that whenever I begin a rifle project, or contemplate one, I first look to see how close to my idea I can get with a Tikka.

When guys ask about what guns they should get, my standard answers have been the same for a while:

T3 in .308
Glock in 9mm
Colt 6720/6920.

Those three basic platforms cover a lot of ground, and more often than not are G2G right out of the chute.