PDA

View Full Version : Care packages for service members

gkieser92
11-10-2016, 09:40 AM
With Veteran's Day being tomorrow, I had the thought of having my sons put together care packages for deployed troops. This would also be project for a Cub Scout den that I lead. I have several questions: I do not have a specific name of a service member, so is there a place that can connect me a recipient? What would be items that would be appreciated? Is shipping expensive for a shoebox-sized package? I'd like the boys to actually put thought into it it and do it themselves. I know this is last minute, so any help you can provide would be great.

Poconnor
11-10-2016, 11:10 AM
I would find a local family support group or active duty family support group. The wives have a better idea of what soldiers want or need because it varies by location. When I was in Kosovo every joe in my company got a brownie baked in a mason jar made by one other the mothers. Best brownie ever! I admit the circumstances may have influenced my memory. We got sent so many boxes of Girl Scout cookies in Iraq that I haven't eaten one since. I didn't even eat that many then but I got tasked with divided up all the "any soldier" mail. I had a table stacked 4 feet high with Girl Scout cookies. We did get a box of hand knitted hats from a church group that were awesome. I used one for a sleep hat. It gets cold at night in Iraq. It might be 90 degrees but when it was 130 8 hours earlier you feel cold. I still use the hat.

NEPAKevin
11-10-2016, 12:13 PM
There is a good bit of information, such as what types of items are most needed, on this local support group's home page: Operation Touch of Home (http://www.operationtouchofhome.org/) The nice thing about the grass roots programs such as this one is that they generally are run by volunteers so contributions are almost entirely used to benefit the troops. Shooting USA used to have a care package program (operation thank you?) but I do not see anything on their web page.

BehindBlueI's
11-10-2016, 04:47 PM
The USO will help you with ideas and logistics. They are, in this vet's opinion, a great resource.

https://www.uso.org/stories/1549-how-to-make-the-perfect-care-package-for-troops

And thanks for what you are doing.