PDA

View Full Version : Post your draw video... brag, critique, compare

John_bud
11-04-2016, 09:17 AM
http://youtu.be/mbyxi8QDDgQ

This was done "cold". Had the timer set immediate from the other day, then set to random. (hey, I'm a goof ball, what can I say?)

Par time 0.6. almost there....almost.

Peally
11-04-2016, 09:24 AM
What range are you simulating? If that's a good sight picture and grip at 10 yards you're certainly faster than me.

Luke
11-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Imagine a slow draw from gamer gear that somehow incorporates a half tactical press out. That's mine lol. Been trying to work on it but man, it's bad.

Cory
11-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Imagine a slow draw from gamer gear that somehow incorporates a half tactical press out. That's mine lol. Been trying to work on it but man, it's bad.

I'm honestly curious to see yours. It looked fluid enough and decent speed in your match video.

I'll do mine eventually. I guess I could do concealed and open. Probably can go fast or proper. Not sure about both, but I'm workin on it.

-Cory

Mr_White
11-04-2016, 10:50 AM
I like draw videos!

Peally
11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9xmY_-9joU

Luke
11-04-2016, 11:06 AM
I really really wanna see Les's draw.

John_bud
11-04-2016, 12:04 PM
What range are you simulating? If that's a good sight picture and grip at 10 yards you're certainly faster than me.

It's only 1/2 a draw. This is "speed mode" training day and my goal is to see how fast the physical motions can be accomplished.
I'm simulating 10yds with a 1/3 scale metric at 10 ft. the grip was good on both those, but sight picture lags. My old peepers are not able to transition from target to front post as fast. But.... the gun is pointing at the center of the A zone when I finally focus there. My first shot times are about 1.2s in a match. At 25 yds live fire this week, I was getting 1.5-1.65s for A zone and close C. Needs work.

10 months ago the same thing was 1.2-1.3s (raw draw) and 2.2-2.5s first shots. Progress has been made! It was a real struggle to get past the 1.00 barrior, but once past the gains came quick. I'm guessing my background in martial arts helps with moving quick

Next struggle will be simultaneous draw and eyes changing focus to the front post so when the gun gets there, I can SEE IT!

Mr_White
11-04-2016, 12:21 PM
It's only 1/2 a draw. This is "speed mode" training day and my goal is to see how fast the physical motions can be accomplished.
I'm simulating 10yds with a 1/3 scale metric at 10 ft. the grip was good on both those, but sight picture lags. My old peepers are not able to transition from target to front post as fast. But.... the gun is pointing at the center of the A zone when I finally focus there. My first shot times are about 1.2s in a match. At 25 yds live fire this week, I was getting 1.5-1.65s for A zone and close C. Needs work.

10 months ago the same thing was 1.2-1.3s (raw draw) and 2.2-2.5s first shots. Progress has been made! It was a real struggle to get past the 1.00 barrior, but once past the gains came quick. I'm guessing my background in martial arts helps with moving quick

Next struggle will be simultaneous draw and eyes changing focus to the front post so when the gun gets there, I can SEE IT!

John_bud, I think that is all awesome! You've made a lot of progress and have a lot of excellent stuff going on there.

People's eyes work differently, and I don't know whether this will actually help you or not. As empty as it is, See What You Need To See is the actual answer and the mechanics of that vary by person. You might see if this does anything for you in terms of having the front sight sharp and clear when it arrives at full extension: http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

John_bud
11-04-2016, 12:30 PM
John_bud, I think that is all awesome! You've made a lot of progress and have a lot of excellent stuff going on there.

People's eyes work differently, and I don't know whether this will actually help you or not. As empty as it is, See What You Need To See is the actual answer and the mechanics of that vary by person. You might see if this does anything for you in terms of having the front sight sharp and clear when it arrives at full extension: http://pistol-training.com/articles/vision

Thanks. I skimmed the link. It deserves more study, will have to spend some quality time reading.

Right now, the "amount I need to see" is somewhat randomized by an inconsistent weak hand grip. It's too loose, gun wiggles, shot misses, I spend more time "aiming". May or may not help because the weak hand may or may not be helping...run that cycle a few times.

Up close running a bill drill in a class, I broke 1.0 first shot for the first time and got under 2.0 w all A. Moving back.... ehhhh not as good.

Luke
11-04-2016, 08:25 PM
This is my normal draw. No push for speed just trying to get a good solid grip.

http://youtu.be/79RMFaO2e0o

Malamute
11-04-2016, 09:01 PM
This is my normal draw. No push for speed just trying to get a good solid grip.

Is that a baby in the background critiquing your draw?

This is something I need to do.

One exists, on vhs, from back in the 1900s when goofing off once. If I can find it I should get it digitized. I'm thinking my speeds now would be in the basic time frame it takes to brew a cup of coffee. May sound better as 1.5C (cups)

Luke
11-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Took me for ever to get a video without my kids wanting to be in it lol.

John_bud
11-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Luke, nice draw. I'm jealous of your reloads. Those are a glaring weakness of mine.

John_bud
11-05-2016, 07:54 AM
I like draw videos!

We're still waiting to see yours..... ;)

Mr_White
11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
We're still waiting to see yours..... ;)

Here are a couple. Probably among the best runs on these drills that I have had, so take it fwiw.

Two Bill Drills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOcYLFx8hq0

Two Triple Nickels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjfl4t4BAbQ

William B.
11-05-2016, 03:49 PM
1.3s, A-zone hit on a USPSA target at 7 yards. Not as fast as the others that I see in this thread, but this is about as fast as I can go with any chance of getting a solid hit right now. I'm usually in the 1.5s - 1.6s range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-DdqmowpJk&list=PLVgQZWz6IwubupsP2Fw5UyAm80N-lh7HT&index=1

Luke
11-05-2016, 03:56 PM
I bet you could have it way down by going ahead and standing up straight like you end up doing. I'm guessing your leaning forward to make sure you get a good garment clear?

William B.
11-05-2016, 03:59 PM
I bet you could have it way down by going ahead and standing up straight like you end up doing. I'm guessing your leaning forward to make sure you get a good garment clear?

Yeah, I like to make sure my shirt is kind of draped away from my body so it's easier to grab. If I screw up my drawstroke it's usually by missing the cover garment and grabbing a big ol' handful of air.

Luke
11-05-2016, 04:04 PM
My appendix draw has like a built in cover garment 2nd safety type thing?

With my weak hand when I go to clear I start thumb first trying to catch my shirt, then almost immediately clinching my shirt. 9 times out of 10 my thumb gets it, when it doesn't the crab catches it. Not to say I don't still fumble, but using both techniques every time have cut my fumbles down dramatically and allow a better clear.

William B.
11-05-2016, 04:06 PM
My appendix draw has like a built in cover garment 2nd safety type thing?

With my weak hand when I go to clear I start thumb first trying to catch my shirt, then almost immediately clinching my shirt. 9 times out of 10 my thumb gets it, when it doesn't the crab catches it. Not to say I don't still fumble, but using both techniques every time have cut my fumbles down dramatically and allow a better clear.

Thanks! I'll have to try standing straight up with the thumb thing. Good tip.

John_bud
11-05-2016, 06:15 PM
Nice looking draws, guys!

JCS
11-05-2016, 06:48 PM
1.3s, A-zone hit on a USPSA target at 7 yards. Not as fast as the others that I see in this thread, but this is about as fast as I can go with any chance of getting a solid hit right now. I'm usually in the 1.5s - 1.6s range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-DdqmowpJk&list=PLVgQZWz6IwubupsP2Fw5UyAm80N-lh7HT&index=1

Nice job! What class did you take with Vogel?

William B.
11-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Nice job! What class did you take with Vogel?

Thanks. It was a private class that my boss and I went to. From talking to others who have done his open enrollment classes, I think it was based on World Class Pistol Skills with a little more focus on some stuff we wanted help with.

MGW
11-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Here's a really slow but clean FAST drill. It was dark enough I shot it from a Safariland that doesn't allow for a full firing grip and not my JM AIWB. If I remember correctly this was 7.18 clean. Noticed a couple things from this video. My press out looks very slow and deliberate it doesn't feel that slow. I'm dropping my head (still). I'm not getting my weight behind the gun and its resulting in me getting pushed back. Finally, did I mention how freaking slow this was?

Stand by. Can't get the video to upload. Keeps coming in as an image.

https://youtu.be/Zyp7uuBB4oA

JAD
11-05-2016, 10:55 PM
B8 at 15. This was originally a video I made to explain to some friends why I like the press out with the P30. Awful cover garment. https://vimeo.com/190414421

MGW
11-06-2016, 08:02 AM
B8 at 15. This was originally a video I made to explain to some friends why I like the press out with the P30. Awful cover garment. https://vimeo.com/190414421

I like Ping. Shooting seems to take up much of my golf time now though.

JAD
11-06-2016, 08:03 AM
They make a decent wind shirt but it's a floppy bastard -- really demands rigor on the clear.

Guinnessman
11-06-2016, 08:54 AM
The "Ping" jacket is perfect for CCW! It also does a great job concealing the fact that you are a CHL holder.

You sir have fine taste in golf clubs and firearms!

BaiHu
11-06-2016, 10:47 AM
A little tough work with the garment today. A combination of heavy, stretchy and fitted made it drop easy and hard to grasp. This draw is from Mr_White's draw/shoot DOTW.
https://goo.gl/photos/Zxq2dwZnTb6Y5g3P8

ETA: sorry for bad angle, best I could do alone. I realized just how tough it is to pick up on the beep sometimes in the indoor range. Let me know if you need a better format on the video.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

John_bud
11-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Here's a really slow but clean FAST drill. It was dark enough I shot it from a Safariland that doesn't allow for a full firing grip and not my JM AIWB. If I remember correctly this was 7.18 clean. Noticed a couple things from this video. My press out looks very slow and deliberate it doesn't feel that slow. I'm dropping my head (still). I'm not getting my weight behind the gun and its resulting in me getting pushed back. Finally, did I mention how freaking slow this was?

Stand by. Can't get the video to upload. Keeps coming in as an image.

https://youtu.be/Zyp7uuBB4oA

Actually, looks pretty good!

I'm no expert, but did manage to increase draw speed a lot. even though I'm an old geezer. it was simple, but not easy. Daily dry fire with the par timer. Really pushing to beat that second beep, then dropping it a tenth and repeat. Initially there were gains, then....stagnation. But with daily drills it grooved the motion and after 10 months a bubble burst and speed was found. (Weird but true)

I'm still slow at SEEING, and have other issues like inconsistent grip pressure and trigger control (and even a flinch on occasions). Yeah....lots left to work on.

One point on your draw. When I started to REALLY try to go fast, it felt like tearing muscles. Seriously. so, when you grab the gun and rip it out if the holster...think PUNCH the gun out with knockout force as hard and fast as possible.

MGW
11-06-2016, 10:16 PM
I can definitely go faster. AIWB concealed to first shot can get around 1.0 if I'm pushing for pure speed. But this evening my focus was trigger control and seeing the sights. Holster doesn't fit this pistol very well so really didn't want to push anything.

I did a run that evening under 6, which isn't bad for me. I know I can go faster than that. I'm working through some trigger control demons though. Gotta work that stuff out first.

I really don't like watching myself on video. I have a coaching background and have spent thousands of hours watching athletes on video. I'm really good at finding errors in technique and fundamentals and helping athletes work through it.

Working MYSELF through it is another story. My OCD kicks in and I usually end up making myself worse. I've never tried it with shooting. There's a lot of mental scar tissue there that is making me avoid it though.

It is very difficult to distinguish between what I should look like performing a skill and what a skill looks like when it works as well as its going to work.

John_bud
11-06-2016, 11:28 PM
I agree completely on hating watching video and seeing "that guy" stumble and bumble along aimlessly when I distinctly remember flying through the course of fire! (yes, delusions of adequacy. Lol)

AGR416
11-07-2016, 09:50 AM
0.8 sec par time, with sight picture, Beretta 92A from Blade-Tech OWB open top holster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ326ZW1MhU

SsevenN
02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
This is more or less the current state of my draw - when it goes right.
Unfortunately they don't always, so I've switched my focus to getting an aggressive, stronger grip 99% of the time by slowing down in the instant when "sliding" into contact with the tang.
Since shooting this almost all the reading I've done on increasing my speed + accuracy on demand supports a systemic need for a stronger grip. I definitely am struggling to increase speed because my front post isn't returning to a consistent spot.

EDIT: WARNING - there is audio disparity in this clip - it gets really loud at the end, sorry.
Also sorry for trying to have a "personality" this was more for my no-guns facebooks folks, it's braggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhsaekI5LFk

Nimitz87
05-13-2017, 04:37 AM
appreciate any feed back, basically watched a few youtube videos (Mr.white yours are truly amazing) and tried to apply what I saw/watched. any comments/help appreciated

I'm simulating 10yds @ 9 ft. the last part of the video when I'm trying hands on my head was just me trying a different position my buddy told me some competitions require that, and I had never done it before hence the miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKZ-JGc-0I

for grins this is a video of my draw before watching any videos/practicing dry firing, It's embarrassing to even watch it now.:o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoiTMlDb9p8&feature=youtu.be

PhillySoldier
10-26-2017, 06:37 AM
appreciate any feed back, basically watched a few youtube videos (Mr.white yours are truly amazing) and tried to apply what I saw/watched. any comments/help appreciated

I'm simulating 10yds @ 9 ft. the last part of the video when I'm trying hands on my head was just me trying a different position my buddy told me some competitions require that, and I had never done it before hence the miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKZ-JGc-0I

for grins this is a video of my draw before watching any videos/practicing dry firing, It's embarrassing to even watch it now.:o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoiTMlDb9p8&feature=youtu.be

If possible it might help to watch your video in slow motion to look for areas of improvement. The couple of things I saw were in the beginning movements. First your pulling up your shirt. Your shirt is fully pulled up your chest before you start the movement of drawing your pistol. The second part is you are (at least a few times) releasing your shirt before the pistol is fully drawn. Try and get this more a single motion of doing both at the same time with the shirt clear just slightly ahead of the draw.

PhillySoldier
10-26-2017, 07:03 AM
I wanted to ask if others see a difference in there draw & shoot times between dry and live fire? Im averaging slightly over a half second added to my live fire and wanted to see if this was normal or whether just me being more cautious with live ammo. Im sure its the latter but figured Id ask. Also I know whats suggested for dry fire practice but wondering how much others dedicate to live fire draw and shoot drills. I usually just do one mag at the end of my session, if Im alone on the range.

Cory
11-03-2017, 06:47 PM
My gap is (last time I live fired) similar. I'd say my live fire is anywhere from .6x-.8x slower on the draw.

I'm in the midst of a dry spell at the moment, but I think that when I get back to live fire I'm going to focus more intently on specific drills when at the range. As in spend almost the entire visit on a single drill/skill. That way I can build one thing up, and then the next. Trying to build 100 skills at once seems to really build none for me. I think if working draws it's important to fire more than once, to make sure the grip is honest.

-You don't grab your cover garment in the same place every time. Sometimes it's the hem near the weapon, sometimes it's closer to support side.
-You don't move the garment the same way. Sometimes it goes higher than others. Sometimes it goes to the side. If you dial that in it'll help a lot
-You don't move both your hands at the same time.
-Try it without the trigger press. I've found myself getting the trigger press before the sights were settle to be faster. I didn't do it intentionally though. If you are trying to build speed working with a par time and no trigger works well. It makes sure that you have a real sight picture and aren't going fast with the trigger for times sake. I think Ernest Langdon is the one who said "The sights are the gas pedal, not the trigger". Ben Steoger advocates for draw practice with the trigger press to emphasize sights as well.
-Explode. A real burst of as fast as you can move your arms.
-Pay attention on the reholster. Look, lean, take a step back with that side if you can. It doesn't hurt anything and gives you some extra safety. It takes almost no effort, and is a good habit.

It's easy for me to sit here and poke holes in your draw, and I don't mean it to be like that. You have something down that I really struggle with. You don't turtle or hunch your shoulders/neck. I have a terrible habit of bringing my eyes down to the gun a little, and my shoulders shrug. It tenses me up to much, and makes it harder to say visually focused. You seem to not have that issue at all, and I wish I could do better about that. Stick with this and youll be doin awesome man.

-Cory

PhillySoldier
11-10-2017, 09:57 AM
My gap is (last time I live fired) similar. I'd say my live fire is anywhere from .6x-.8x slower on the draw.

I'm in the midst of a dry spell at the moment, but I think that when I get back to live fire I'm going to focus more intently on specific drills when at the range. As in spend almost the entire visit on a single drill/skill. That way I can build one thing up, and then the next. Trying to build 100 skills at once seems to really build none for me. I think if working draws it's important to fire more than once, to make sure the grip is honest.

I think Im the opposite with spending too much time on a single drill/skill but I'll get obsessed w doing one thing till I can master it.

You have something down that I really struggle with. You don't turtle or hunch your shoulders/neck. I have a terrible habit of bringing my eyes down to the gun a little, and my shoulders shrug.
-Cory

I just recently noticed that I think Im doing the same thing although my shot groups are great and im not having a problem focusing. I recently bought a set of the video cam glasses. Figured I would try them out w shooting. The damn things dont seem to work for me though. I even bought a second pair thinking the first werent working. I must be hanging my head or something but when Im wearing them I only get a low angle and see from like my wrists on back to my elbows in the video, no gun or targets. Seems to work fine when the gf uses them. Its really pissing me off...

Cory
11-10-2017, 10:06 AM
I think Im the opposite with spending too much time on a single drill/skill but I'll get obsessed w doing one thing till I can master it.

I just recently noticed that I think Im doing the same thing although my shot groups are great and im not having a problem focusing. I recently bought a set of the video cam glasses. Figured I would try them out w shooting. The damn things dont seem to work for me though. I even bought a second pair thinking the first werent working. I must be hanging my head or something but when Im wearing them I only get a low angle and see from like my wrists on back to my elbows in the video, no gun or targets. Seems to work fine when the gf uses them. Its really pissing me off...

It's because you aren't looking out of the center of your eye, but through the top a little more. I do the same thing but I'm trying to fix it. I feel like a ton of shooting is about how much you see, and how you see. But when I hunch and look out the top of my eyes I don't have as good a field of view. I'm trying to keep my head up but it seems to be something I struggle with.

-Cory

PhillySoldier
11-10-2017, 10:14 AM
It's because you aren't looking out of the center of your eye, but through the top a little more. I do the same thing but I'm trying to fix it. I feel like a ton of shooting is about how much you see, and how you see. But when I hunch and look out the top of my eyes I don't have as good a field of view. I'm trying to keep my head up but it seems to be something I struggle with.

-Cory

As said Im sort of stuck in surprise/denial at the moment. I never even friggin noticed it until messing w these stupid glasses. (BTW there only stupid for me - they worked well for the gf who has already seen a few mistakes she was making an has improved). Now trying to push my head as far back as I can, I feel out of alignment as well as like Im looking down my nose.

PhillySoldier
11-10-2017, 12:02 PM
I spent some time googling it (and will continue to do so) and seems fairly common for those like myself with a military background. With that said, Im seeing more articles just debating whether it is right or wrong but not much on the way of "how" to correct it. Was wondering if there is perhaps a recommended stance that would more naturally just keep you aligned better?

PhillySoldier
11-28-2017, 10:41 AM

-Cory

Oh man, ive been working on correcting this but it sucks. I'll keep starting out standing awkwardly straight and have to remind myself after ever few shots to straighten back up or I gravitate towards lowering my head again while shooting. Shooting is at least starting to video record properly thought compared to before where I was only seeing from like my wrists back to my elbows. I still feel more comfortable though turtling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9A-HQezJyA