PDA

View Full Version : Mid 1980s Mossberg 500

Mitch
10-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Local fun shop has a mossberg 500 with an 18 inch barrel, police cruiser style wood furniture, and I haven't measured it yet but it seems like the stock is either shortened or a youth model. Serial number puts it from 1985 or 1986.

It looks like it's barely been shot. I've been looking for an older 870 for a little while, but I'm close to saying this is good enough. Any reason not to buy a 500 from that time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jor-el
10-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Bought one myself around 1987, when I lived in NYC and could still buy ARs, AKs and HKs for 300-600 bucks. Very little changed on that gun. Biggest question would be price and location.
If you get it, I would look at Havlin Sales And Service for synthetic replacement furniture and call it good. Maybe get the metal safety button, as the plastic one can break, loosening the safety assembly and disabling the gun.

Mitch
10-29-2016, 08:25 PM
I think it already has a metal safety button. The trigger is all metal, and I think that changed in the 90s?

The most I'll do to this is a new mag spring and maybe a follower. I like the wood furniture, and it also makes it look like Grandpa's old hunting gun which is a plus in a not-gun friendly area like the one I live in.

It's $225, seems fair to me considering it's in excellent condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al T.
10-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Good price for around here. In some ways, the Mossbergs are easier to repair than the 870s, though it takes a huge bunch of shooting to wear either one out.

I'd buy it if I wanted it. :)

SecondsCount
10-30-2016, 10:22 AM
I bought one of the Mossberg combo kits in 1990 and it was a great shotgun. Later I bought a 590 and gave the combo kit to a friend for some work that he helped me with. He has shot it in a few informal 3-gun matches and it is still running great.

ETA: I would offer $200 out the door.

M2CattleCo
10-30-2016, 03:25 PM
I'd take a Mossberg 500 over an 870 any day. I started out on an 18.5" 500, went to an 18.5" 870P and never warmed up to it. I recently went back to an 18.5" 500 and it works much better for me.

The 500s are lighter, the action is also lighter/slicker and I don't have any tendency to short stroke a 500 like I do with an 870. The open loading port and being able to unload straight from the mag tube is a huge plus to me.

I'd put in a Wolff mag spring spring and call it a day on that old 500. Great guns.

Nephrology
11-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Just bumping this.... I ended up snagging an 18.5" bead sighted Mossberg 500A w/wood furniture for $156 after shipping and transfer fees. Seems like LE surplus (stock smells like cigarette smoke...); serial dates it to 1984. Gun is a little use and it has plenty of wear, but the action is clean & very smooth. I was actually surprised at how smooth it was (this is my 1st Mossy).

I bought an L&M light mount for it which seems well made and was only $30, but the only 1" section of my light (Streamlight Polytac 2L-X) is too far forward. The body of the light impacts the fore-end and prevents the bolt from locking up.

Right now I am leaning towards either A) buying a used Surefire 6P or other 1" weaponllight or B) returning the mount. As much as I like the aesthetic, the gun is pretty beat up and not much of a safe queen. The wood stock is kind of clunky so I am thinking of getting the magpul stock, but this gun was a $150 lark.... so I'm not highly motivated either.

willie
11-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Changing the Mossberg 500's mag spring is not a straight forward task. Doing so will require removing the magazine tube, which is loctited in. It can be done but search for instructions. I suggest not modifying the shotgun if spending money is required to do so. I like Mossbergs but must point out that the 500's have low resale value. One reason is that box stores retail them below the so called dealer price paid by mom and pop gun shops. If you buy guns online, call Summit Gunbroker and ask the fine gentleman there if he has M500 or older R870 l.e. trade ins.
I'm old as dirt and have owned at least a dozen of each. An older 870 will trump any other offering. I promise. That said, there's nothing wrong with a Mossberg--but don't overpay.

Nephrology
11-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Changing the Mossberg 500's mag spring is not a straight forward task. Doing so will require removing the magazine tube, which is loctited in. It can be done but search for instructions. I suggest not modifying the shotgun if spending money is required to do so. I like Mossbergs but must point out that the 500's have low resale value. One reason is that box stores retail them below the so called dealer price paid by mom and pop gun shops. If you buy guns online, call Summit Gunbroker and ask the fine gentleman there if he has M500 or older R870 l.e. trade ins.
I'm old as dirt and have owned at least a dozen of each. An older 870 will trump any other offering. I promise. That said, there's nothing wrong with a Mossberg--but don't overpay.

Not planning on extensive or expensive modification - just want to do a couple things to get it more functional. I already got the gun for $156 delivered and transferred so I'm in it for very little thusfar.

1. Find a way to put a light on it, ideally on the cheap. I already have a mount so I am thinking about buying a used 6P on ebay for ~$35 or something.
2. Make sights biggerer - might buy one of the XS tritium front sights that you epoxy over the bead. It's cheap ($60 shipped via amazon prime) and easy to do. If the lamp burns out I still have a way faster bead. This is not a high priority.

$156 gun + $33 mount + $35 light + $60 bead = $284. I will also probably pick at Ebay now and again for used Surefire foreends. I've seen the older 2 button models go for under $100. That and a magpul stock would make this thing very functional for still not a lot of money.

willie
11-14-2017, 10:48 AM
You're getting the M500 at a great price. With planned mods the result will be an excellent home defense weapon. I don't remember from reading your many posts if you have owned other Mossbergs. As a guy who likes them, let me say this. They rattle. They seem to have too much play in action bars/fore end mechanism. It does not affect reliability. They work and continue to do so. Some will describe the Mossberg as a sow's ear. It's more like a country cousin who appears to be less refined as his city relatives. If your new purchase arrives with a few dings and scratches, consider them to be honest wear.

Lester Polfus
11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Hey man,

I run a similarly cheap M500 as my "walking around the property" gun. My other long guns cost at least 3x as much, but it's the one I pick up the most. Go figure.

I would highly recommend replacing your magazine spring. I'm not sure if they were using loc-tite on the magazine tubes during that era, but to be safe, heat her up real good with a hair dryer and twist the mag tube out. While you're in there, you might want to spend the extra $10 or so on a polymer mag follower.

Screw it all back together, mount your XS bead and your flashlight. Done. You're ready for damn near anything.

If you want to be super high speed low drag, you could velcro a shotshell card on the side of the receiver.

That Guy
11-14-2017, 12:28 PM
2. Make sights biggerer - might buy one of the XS tritium front sights that you epoxy over the bead. It's cheap ($60 shipped via amazon prime) and easy to do. If the lamp burns out I still have a way faster bead. This is not a high priority.

Hi-Viz clamp-on fiber optic bead. Best bang for the buck shotgun sight modification that I know of, and should cost considerably less than $60 in the U.S.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

Nephrology
11-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Hi-Viz clamp-on fiber optic bead. Best bang for the buck shotgun sight modification that I know of, and should cost considerably less than $60 in the U.S.

Are those durable at all?

That Guy
11-14-2017, 01:48 PM
Are those durable at all?I've been quite positively surprised by them. I set up my girlfriend's shotguns with them and while she hasn't been a very active shotgunner lately, those guns have seen easily hundreds of full power buckshot and slugs, plus a whole lot more 28 gram and heavier birdshot loads over the years and through several matches, training events, and a bunch of range trips. Never any trouble.

Nephrology
11-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Hey man,

I run a similarly cheap M500 as my "walking around the property" gun. My other long guns cost at least 3x as much, but it's the one I pick up the most. Go figure.

I would highly recommend replacing your magazine spring. I'm not sure if they were using loc-tite on the magazine tubes during that era, but to be safe, heat her up real good with a hair dryer and twist the mag tube out. While you're in there, you might want to spend the extra $10 or so on a polymer mag follower.

Screw it all back together, mount your XS bead and your flashlight. Done. You're ready for damn near anything.

If you want to be super high speed low drag, you could velcro a shotshell card on the side of the receiver.

I ordered a replacement mag spring but the job definitely looks like a PITA. Any tips to make it easier? I have a heat gun and might have a strap wrench around here somewhere...

Lester Polfus
11-14-2017, 02:37 PM
I ordered a replacement mag spring but the job definitely looks like a PITA. Any tips to make it easier? I have a heat gun and might have a strap wrench around here somewhere...

I've done two of them with a hair dryer. I heated the receiver/mag tube junction up to the point is was uncomfortable to touch, and they both just screwed out at that point, no strap wrench needed. I think with a heat gun, you should be good to go. I've seen reports of people having considerable difficulties with them, but that hasn't been experience twice over.

willie
11-14-2017, 03:34 PM
One suggestion--if a wrench is used, contact point must be at extreme front end at the solid threaded area. Otherwise, collapsing tube is highly likely.

greyghost
11-15-2017, 06:59 PM

The older ones usually are easier to do. 90s and up 500's seem to have a heavier amount of thread locker used. I usually use a pair of Wells Lamont Latex coated gloves to give myself some extra grip when removing the tube.

You shouldn't need to use a strap wrench. Some heat and a good twist should do it.

Nephrology
11-15-2017, 09:14 PM
thanks for the tips, all!

I may use his gun as bait to get my brother into the hobby... he still lives in CT and requires a purchase permit for long guns, so I may offer to ship him this shotgun if he jumps through whatever silly hoops he needs to own this back there. It's definitely a handy gun. For $156 this was a great buy.