PDA

View Full Version : Bellyband advice

Dagga Boy
10-26-2016, 07:01 AM
Due to some new constraints in my life, highly discrete carry under tucked in shirts may be necessary. I like smart carry for some applications, but think accessibility could be better with a bellyband. There are a bunch of options. Any standouts that others here use a lot with good results?

Crusader8207
10-26-2016, 10:20 AM
DB, I have tried every conceivable belly band option and could never find one that I could feel comfortable with. I have ultimately resorted to carrying the 340 M&P in the strong side pocket in the Safariland 27 pocket holster (your recommendation). I also run a second 340 on the ankle. With the belly band and even the smaller shoulder holsters like the one Ken Null makes I could never get a good draw with the pistol. On some occasions I will use the smart carry, but I have found the pocket carry to be the most covert and convenient for me. My dress code for work is either a suit or khakis and a tucked in shirt and my clientele would freak if they knew I was carrying a gun.

VT1032
10-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Due to some new constraints in my life, highly discrete carry under tucked in shirts may be necessary. I like smart carry for some applications, but think accessibility could be better with a bellyband. There are a bunch of options. Any standouts that others here use a lot with good results?

Former belly band user. I switched to the smart carry and never looked back. It just worked and concealed far better for my dress requirements which are similar (dress shirt tucked in to khakis). I also found that while the draw is a little wonky, it's not really any slower then the belly band. I used the galco belly band but what I found is my gun would slowly be pushed out of it, which would cause it to print. I'd constantly be pushing it back down into my waistline (I carried the band around my waist in the appendix position. Guns were a glock 43 and late a shield.

Irelander
10-26-2016, 10:53 AM
I remember reading about Tiffany using a belly band (maybe Galco) with a kydex insert for the pistol. She reported that it worked very well. I'll try to find the article.

ETA: Here it is http://frontsightpress.com/2016/02/band-of-druthers/

nalesq
10-26-2016, 11:31 AM
I have used both a Galco belly band and Smartcarry variously for years at a time. In my experience, access is kind of a wash. The bellyband rides higher so that more of the grip is above the belt line, but it is also covered by the tucked in shirt. The Smartcarry has the grip below the belt line, but I don't have to pull the shirt out of the way, because the shirt got tucked in underneath the Smartcarry. I was therefore able to get a more consistent drawing process down with the Smartcarry, not having to account for minor but potentially problematic variations in shirt tucking over the bellyband.

Also, as has been pointed out by others, I felt like the bellyband did not stay in place as well as the Smartcarry. Moreover, minor adjustment of any shifting of the Smartcarry is more discreet, as it just looks like you're adjusting your junk (which, if noticed, is not a strange thing for a fellow to do), whereas adjusting the bellyband if necessary probably would stand out as looking more peculiar.

Therefore, I have come to prefer the Smartcarry, overall.

Dagga Boy
10-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Based on the Tiffany endorsement of sorts, I went ahead and ordered a G&G bellyband. The added benefit of Predator being able to do kydex for that rig made it easy. The low cost made this fairly easy to try.

Big picture I am seeing a possible change to Smart Carry with a pocket J for immediate access to the J to counter the tougher draw of the Smart Carry.

Paul Sharp
10-26-2016, 11:47 AM
I remember reading about Tiffany using a belly band (maybe Galco) with a kydex insert for the pistol. She reported that it worked very well. I'll try to find the article.

ETA: Here it is http://frontsightpress.com/2016/02/band-of-druthers/

I've used a setup similar to Tiffany's and after reading her article I dumped my caveman version to adopt her better version. I have a friend that has used JJ Racaza's 5.0 holster for a few years. He is in an NPE, (teacher in a public school system that is rabid anti-gun in a rabid anti-gun city), and has never had an issue while working around females that see him regularly. Those that know, will know that is the ultimate test of your concealment gear. Women notice EVERYTHING. Particularly if they see you day in and day out. He's been at the same school with the same staff since 2013. Never been burned. I have tried his 5.0 and it's nice but I prefer the modularity of Tiffany's setup.

Cecil Burch
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
I've used a setup similar to Tiffany's and after reading her article I dumped my caveman version to adopt her better version. I have a friend that has used JJ Racaza's 5.0 holster for a few years. He is in an NPE, (teacher in a public school system that is rabid anti-gun in a rabid anti-gun city), and has never had an issue while working around females that see him regularly. Those that know, will know that is the ultimate test of your concealment gear. Women notice EVERYTHING. Particularly if they see you day in and day out. He's been at the same school with the same staff since 2013. Never been burned. I have tried his 5.0 and it's nice but I prefer the modularity of Tiffany's setup.

Ditto to Paul's remark about women noticing stuff. This is the single hardest thing to get across to people (like most full time firearms instructors) who don't have to operate full time in an NPE where you around women and dressing nicely is a must.

My solution has been for years is the bellyband. I use this one:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/category/belly-band

I am not a fan of anything else Crossbreed puts out, but this thing is solid. In the original version, the gun had a tendency to flop forward if you were not wearing it under pants with a stable waistband (like sweatpants/board shorts), but they fixed that on the second version by having a velcro-ed flap go over the gun. Now it is a really good and stable platform that I use for when I am in workout type clothes, as well as in dress clothes. With the ability to adjust the holster, I can almost completely replicate my normal AIWB holster carry with the bellyband under a tucked dress shirt. Is it as fast? No, but pretty close and the draw motion is identical to the normal concealed draw.

fatdog
10-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Galco Underwraps, almost every weekday for the last 18 years in an NPE. I have sewn in various Kydex and Leather holsters to the pocket they come with, and that was the solution to being able to reholster.

Irelander
10-26-2016, 01:09 PM
I remember reading about Tiffany's experiences and thinking I should try it. I have a cheap Undertech Undercover belly band and a kydex G34 holster that I hacked up as a project and never finished. Maybe I'll adapt the holster to the belly band and give it a try.

Dugga,
You going AIWB with the belly band?

Dagga Boy
10-26-2016, 04:23 PM
The belly band will likely be used to mimic the 2:30 carry I use with my VP9. Just changed all my gear around today. Smart carry with the P2000Sk and a spare 13 round mag. M&P 340 I. The pocket with a Safariland 25. I was originally going to relocate the folder I carry in the strong side pocket to a cargo pocket, but found it actually helps keep the 340 positioned properly.

I ended up having to work with a uniform of sorts. Black head to toe. Ordered a duplicate pair of Ariat cowboy boots to my current ones that fit my terrible feet well, and a 3/4 length (with my short legs, it is more like full length) frock coat. This should give good coverage. We'll see how it goes.

SeriousStudent
10-26-2016, 07:22 PM

I ended up having to work with a uniform of sorts. Black head to toe. Ordered a duplicate pair of Ariat cowboy boots to my current ones that fit my terrible feet well, and a 3/4 length (with my short legs, it is more like full length) frock coat. This should give good coverage. We'll see how it goes.

BobM
10-26-2016, 07:50 PM
The best ones I've used were the Bianchi and the Uncle Mikes but I'm not sure that either one is currently made

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SLG
10-26-2016, 08:07 PM
This thread just goes to show how everyone's concealment needs are different based on body type. I cannot use a belly band for anything useful, and figured most men couldn't either. Tiffany seems to be built, ahem, differently than I am, and I figured that was why she could use the rig she uses. Then some dudes jump in with how great it works for them, and I'm pretty surprised.

None of that prepared me for DB telling me what his new job was, and now finding out that he's going to be wearing a frock coat, in Texas, is just too much.

I don't live in texas, and likely never will, but if I am ever caught dead in Texas in a frock coat, it will be with a pair of SAA's in beautiful leather hanging from my hips. That's what frock coats are for. :-)

98z28
10-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Spencer's Flex holster in a good belly band like the Galco (https://www.galcogunleather.com/underwraps-belly-band_8_393_1326.html) is a fantastic tucked-shirt solution. You still have the typical IWB problems: a small bulge where the gun sits and the grip will protrude when you bend over, but those are manageable. Overall, it is discreet, secure, and (relatively) fast. I've been using this setup for a couple months now and it is awesome.

The JJ FIVE-0 is even more discreet and faster, but it is not as secure and it is no longer available.

1slow
10-26-2016, 10:18 PM
Db in a frock coat. Why not a brace of HK USP Expert 45s ?

Dagga Boy
10-26-2016, 11:49 PM

Easy Hondo, I just found out about my new dress code and ordered the Frock coat last night out of spite. I had just bought a crap load of new clothes when the good idea fairy showed up. So......you want the man in black, well Johnny Cash set that standard and 3/4 frock is what is required. I ordered it a hair big to allow for some tailoring. Hopefully, it works out. I work in a total no weapons environment amongst total hoplophobes of the highest order, so I am working as best I can to accommodate their issues.

Moved a bunch of stuff around today. The Smart Carry combined with a front pocket J frame is so far a win. Forgot that urinals are sort of a no go though with the Smart carry. I need to remember that....:confused:

Irelander
10-27-2016, 07:08 AM
...urinals are sort of a no go though with the Smart carry. I need to remember that....:confused:

I hear ya. Several times I have gone to the urinal and almost unzipped and then remember I am wearing a Smart Carry and this isn't going to happen.

Paul Sharp
10-27-2016, 10:27 AM
I hear ya. Several times I have gone to the urinal and almost unzipped and then remember I am wearing a Smart Carry and this isn't going to happen.

I got into the habit of always using stalls while working as an undercover. Not for that reason you pervs...

Because during bar ops if bad guys decide to rob you or think there are other reasons to regulate you, they will follow you into the john and wreck you while you're standing there with your business in hand. Kind of a task fixation type thing.

SLG
10-27-2016, 10:35 AM
I got into the habit of always using stalls while working as an undercover. Not for that reason you pervs...

Because during bar ops if bad guys decide to rob you or think there are other reasons to regulate you, they will follow you into the john and wreck you while you're standing there with your business in hand. Kind of a task fixation type thing.

I was taught this as a boy in NY. Much better way to use a public restroom, under all circumstances.

Dropkick
10-27-2016, 11:02 AM
So......you want the man in black, well Johnny Cash set that standard and 3/4 frock is what is required.

Is it sad that at first I was thinking all black duds like Neo / Morpheus / The Matrix?

Irelander
10-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Is it sad that at first I was thinking all black duds like Neo / Morpheus / The Matrix?

You mean Trinity?

Dropkick
10-27-2016, 01:32 PM
You mean Trinity?

Well, if thinking of Dagga Boy as Trinity is your thing... :cool:

Dagga Boy
10-27-2016, 01:39 PM
I was thinking more like this......

Cincinnatus
10-27-2016, 04:31 PM
What's the difference between a sport's jacket and a frock coat?

SeriousStudent
10-27-2016, 07:15 PM
I was thinking more like this......

And I was thinking of this. You know, for entrance music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA

JAD
10-27-2016, 07:20 PM
What's the difference between a sport's jacket and a frock coat?

Length and cut.

Dagga Boy
10-27-2016, 08:06 PM
And I was thinking of this. You know, for entrance music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA

One of my favorites.

11B10
10-27-2016, 08:23 PM
This thread just goes to show how everyone's concealment needs are different based on body type. I cannot use a belly band for anything useful, and figured most men couldn't either. Tiffany seems to be built, ahem, differently than I am, and I figured that was why she could use the rig she uses. Then some dudes jump in with how great it works for them, and I'm pretty surprised.

None of that prepared me for DB telling me what his new job was, and now finding out that he's going to be wearing a frock coat, in Texas, is just too much.

I don't live in texas, and likely never will, but if I am ever caught dead in Texas in a frock coat, it will be with a pair of SAA's in beautiful leather hanging from my hips. That's what frock coats are for. :-)

What in THE hell is "frock coat?"

Dagga Boy
10-27-2016, 08:37 PM
What in THE hell is "frock coat?"

Old school bad ass gunfighter shit.

karmapolice
10-27-2016, 08:49 PM

I was taught this as a boy in NY. Much better way to use a public restroom, under all circumstances.

Same lol. I always use the stall for any public restroom business, especially while in uniform but I've done that pre typist days. I even make a point to tell my trainees to use the stall, odd conversation but I mean they are like adult children.

Sorry for the derail (:

SLG
10-27-2016, 08:53 PM
...odd conversation but I mean they are like adult children.

Sorry for the derail (:

So true.

taadski
10-27-2016, 11:23 PM
You mean Trinity?

The Whoa-man in black... :cool:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2534_zpsuxfpnbyy.png (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2534_zpsuxfpnbyy.png.html)

Duelist
10-28-2016, 01:18 AM
The Whoa-man in black... :cool:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2534_zpsuxfpnbyy.png (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2534_zpsuxfpnbyy.png.html)

Dodge this.

Hambo
10-28-2016, 06:22 AM

If you're going full Johnny Cash/Wyatt Earp, the HK/J frame combo is just so wrong. I'm thinking .357 for the 1950s homage and an engraved storekeeper 1878 Colt Frontier for the Earp tribute.

Dagga Boy
10-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Oh, just wait till you see when the latest project is complete. My leather guy is going to need a vacation after the amount of floral cutting he is doing, and Steve Morrison will be working on my engraved 1911. Should be amazing.

David S.
10-28-2016, 02:46 PM
I've started running a Smart Carry in work slacks. Still trying to get my draw time under 30 minutes. ;) Slow.

Dagga Boy
10-28-2016, 11:59 PM
I've started running a Smart Carry in work slacks. Still trying to get my draw time under 30 minutes. ;) Slow.

Losing 30 pounds and essentially now having pants a size too big has been a huge help in accessibility. Not quick draw fast, but certainly workable. The "slowness" of the Smart Carry has been off set by the ability to actually have the M&P 340 gripped in my pocket for an immediate response to a close range threat.

SLG
10-29-2016, 09:05 AM
In the fwiw category, I'm a huge fan of smart carry for civilian CCW. It can be drawn in under 2 secs with a little practice, and quite a bit faster with a lot of practice. Concealment is basically perfect, and weapons retention issues pretty much go away. Lots of good there.

Dagga Boy
10-29-2016, 03:28 PM
In the fwiw category, I'm a huge fan of smart carry for civilian CCW. It can be drawn in under 2 secs with a little practice, and quite a bit faster with a lot of practice. Concealment is basically perfect, and weapons retention issues pretty much go away. Lots of good there.

And currently...that is how I am operating. When in "retired cop mode", fanny pack full of stuff and a different mindset. Currently the P2000Sk in Smart Carry really sort of feels like an IWB fanny pack, so it is where I am used to a gun being. Also, went to the Tuff Products pocket holster today to try as well. As long as I can get to the 340 in my primary front pocket for an immediate close range assault, the smart carry is working out.

LSP552
10-30-2016, 08:20 PM

You guys have covinced me to try a smart carry. I'm usually at work in dress slacks and shirt, limited to ankle and pocket in the office.

SLG
10-30-2016, 08:28 PM
You guys have covinced me to try a smart carry. I'm usually at work in dress slacks and shirt, limited to ankle and pocket in the office.

I'll be interested to hear how you like it. Though I think there is lots of good there, the bad can outweigh it as well.

Poconnor
10-30-2016, 08:59 PM
I looked at smart carry's website. Same as thunder wear? Anybody try both?

Dagga Boy
10-30-2016, 11:56 PM
I looked at smart carry's website. Same as thunder wear? Anybody try both?

I checked a ton of reviews before I bought and almost every one from direct comparisons to both the Smart Carry won out.

The biggest issue I have is I wish it was sized better for a more precise fit on the gun. I got the medium size one for my P2000SK and like the fit, but the gun sits to deep as well as the magazine. The small is what I am using and the draw and grip on the pistol is much improved, but the rig seems a bit small. One would think that someone would do one cut to really fit the sub compac pistols well. The has to be enough G26/27, P2000/30 SK's, M&P and 320 subcompacts to justify a solid fit holster for them. I really prefer the small rig I am using for my 2.25" barrel 642 Power port revolver, but am making it work for the P2000SK.

SLG
10-31-2016, 08:10 AM
I have the smart carry and the thunderwear. My thunderwear is 21 years old, and smart carry didn't exist then. They are basically the same, bit the smart carry seems a bit better made. I have much less experience with the smart carry though.

As for fit, it really depends how you intend to carry it. If worn as intended, completely below the belt line, I find that the pouches are correctly sized as is, and a deeper ride is better. If worn with the but in line with or above the belt line, then a smaller pouch can be better. I'm also a short 150#, so this may change for others, I just don't know.

An important tip I find is to put the smart carry on over your shirt tails, as the instructions say, but then untuck your rear tail and tuck it into your pants over the strap of the smart carry. Otherwise, the rear strap will climb up and out or your pants, printing rather strangely.

CR78
11-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Here's an interesting design:
https://m.facebook.com/RuncibleWorks/
For those people who had thought of putting a kydex liner inside a smartcard, I wonder if this might work as an alternative.

OnionsAndDragons
11-04-2016, 10:15 AM
For those people who had thought of putting a kydex liner inside a smartcard, I wonder if this might work as an alternative.

I was actually going to post about this rig. It looks good and I've heard a couple instructors including Ellefritz mention it in a positive light so far.

orionz06
11-04-2016, 04:24 PM

Dude that makes them is a solid guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADK
11-07-2016, 08:56 AM
SmartCarry mod: buy blackhawk arc holster, like 16 bucks on amazon. Remove clip and retention screw. Position holster where you want it in the SmartCarry pocket, then poke a hole in the pocket aligned with the nut in the retention screw hole on the holster. Stick a rubber spacer in between the holster and the fabric and screw the retention screw through the fabric and into the holster to secure it. IMO, much safer, rides slightly higher for good grip, much smoother more consistent snag free draw, much better reholster. Glock 19 with shield rms optic. This is a new setup and has not yet been thoroughly tested. Hopefully the fabric around the screw won't shred over time. Have used smartcarry for a while with g19. Pleased with concealment and comfort, not so much with draw and reholster. Hopefully this will fix it.

gkieser92
11-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I was actually going to post about this rig. It looks good and I've heard a couple instructors including Ellefritz mention it in a positive light so far.

That holster may solve lot of problems for me. I carry a Glock so any soft, pouch-type holster worries me. That Runcible holster has a nice index body. What stops the holster from lifting up when the gun is drawn?

11B10
11-08-2016, 09:32 PM

Hell, I even HAVE one of these and never knew that's what it was called.

11B10
11-08-2016, 09:40 PM

In the "FWIW" category - ever since I began CC, I have used a stall, preferably the handicapped one as it gives me the time and 'cover' I need to do everything safely and correctly. I can't imagine carrying AIWB and using a urinal.

BillSWPA
11-09-2016, 12:26 AM
In the "FWIW" category - ever since I began CC, I have used a stall, preferably the handicapped one as it gives me the time and 'cover' I need to do everything safely and correctly. I can't imagine carrying AIWB and using a urinal.

In my big firm days, watching who used the handicapped stall was one way I figured out who else was carrying . . .

Kennydale
11-09-2016, 03:55 PM
http://3speedholster.com/#oid=1003_1

I use this I carried my Ruger SR40C in one for 2 1/2 years and a Glock G19 for 9 months in another.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161109/f4d0712f54148329853c0065a6971404.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161109/902a55f190d481c05d0826ed8539665b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DI1
11-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Received my new SmartCarry rig in tan, so far very impressed with stitching, design.