PDA

View Full Version : Need some long gun opinions

Robinson
10-25-2016, 08:50 AM
A recent range trip has convinced me that I can no longer shoot non-suppressed long guns without causing further hearing damage and making my tinnitus worse. I shot about 10 rounds through a 24" barrel .30-30 outdoors with earpro rated at 33db NRR. It caused no discomfort while shooting but afterward my tinnitus was noticeably increased and I feel my hearing may have suffered a bit. I also shot my suppressed 300 BLK AR and it never causes me a problem. Even when not suppressed it is quieter than the .30-30.

My left ear is so bad now that I can't afford any more damage or I will be pretty much completely deaf in that ear. Sometimes I am tempted to stop shooting altogether, but I think I can continue if I always shoot suppressed. I want to have another long gun besides the AR, so I would like some opinions on the following options:

1) Chop the barrel on my .30-30 and have it threaded for a suppressor (not leaning this way at the moment).

2) Sell the .30-30 and buy a threaded bolt gun chambered for 300 BLK for ammo commonality with the AR. Possibly a Ruger American Ranch Rifle.

3) Re-barrel my AR in 5.56 and get a .223 bolt gun for ammo commonality. My suppressor would still work with this setup.

4) Keep my AR as is and get a .223 bolt gun anyway, and live with two rifle cartridges. Suppressor would work for both (with proper attachment).

5) Some folks might be thinking "get a .308" at this point -- not sure I want to go there. I've gotten away from big game hunting and .308 is loud. Even suppressed it might cause further hearing damage. Or I might be paranoid due to experience. Not sure.

The new Henry Long Ranger discussed in another thread is interesting and might make a nice suppressor host with a shortened and threaded barrel. But it would mean another cartridge (probably .223) and would probably ruin the resale value. I do like how lever guns handle and shoot though -- more so than bolt guns since I have more experience with levers.

The 300 BLK bolt gun does have some appeal even though I am not a bolt gun guy -- suppressed Blackout is pretty easy on the ears compared to other cartridges.

It sucks that I am at this point, but that's the way it is. I'd like some opinions on the above, or suggestions for things I'm not thinking of.

LittleLebowski
10-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Are you not doubling up on ear pro? I do think the .300Blk makes the 30-30 redundant.

BillSWPA
10-25-2016, 09:41 AM
I agree with doubling up on the ear protection. The disposable foam plugs are the best plugs I have seen. Combine them with electronic muffs and you will have excellent protection while still being able to carry on a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinson
10-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Are you not doubling up on ear pro? I do think the .300Blk makes the 30-30 redundant.

I always double up indoors or under an overhang. Back when I was shooting .30-30 leverguns all the time I did not double up outdoors. Let me clarify: it's not just practice at the range that I'm thinking about. For a rifle to be practical you need to be able to shoot it with practical hearing protection -- which means electronic earpro and probably not doubled up. For me I think that limits my choices to long guns I can suppress, and that's where I was going with my OP.

Robinson
10-25-2016, 09:47 AM
I agree with doubling up on the ear protection. The disposable foam plugs are the best plugs I have seen. Combine them with electronic muffs and you will have excellent protection while still being able to carry on a conversation.

I agree 100% for range use.

LittleLebowski
10-25-2016, 09:59 AM
I always double up indoors or under an overhang. Back when I was shooting .30-30 leverguns all the time I did not double up outdoors. Let me clarify: it's not just practice at the range that I'm thinking about. For a rifle to be practical you need to be able to shoot it with practical hearing protection -- which means electronic earpro and probably not doubled up. For me I think that limits my choices to long guns I can suppress, and that's where I was going with my OP.

Ah, makes sense. You are probably in a good spot geographically for short range, quieter rounds. I'd lose the 30-30 and get the .300Blk bolt gun. If you hunt at all still, check out the subsonic but expanding LeHigh Defense (http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/products/308-maximum-expansion-194gr-subsonic-bullet) and Outlaw State (http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html) .300Blk bullets. You can always pick up a 5.56 barrel for the AR and toss it in the safe or a 5.56 upper (depends on budget). I think that if your tinnitus is bothering you that much, you should consider skipping .223/5.56 and just set yourself up to reload .300Blk as it's quite expensive to shoot commercial .300Blk rounds.

Robinson
10-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Ah, makes sense. You are probably in a good spot geographically for short range, quieter rounds. I'd lose the 30-30 and get the .300Blk bolt gun. If you hunt at all still, check out the subsonic but expanding LeHigh Defense (http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/products/308-maximum-expansion-194gr-subsonic-bullet) and Outlaw State (http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html) .300Blk bullets. You can always pick up a 5.56 barrel for the AR and toss it in the safe or a 5.56 upper (depends on budget). I think that if your tinnitus is bothering you that much, you should consider skipping .223/5.56 and just set yourself up to reload .300Blk as it's quite expensive to shoot commercial .300Blk rounds.

Thanks for that feedback. I assume from your last comment you consider .223/5.56 noisier than 300 BLK to a meaningful degree? That is my suspicion but I haven't done any real analysis on it.

LittleLebowski
10-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks for that feedback. I assume from your last comment you consider .223/5.56 noisier than 300 BLK to a meaningful degree? That is my suspicion but I haven't done any real analysis on it.

Oh yeah, noisier and suppresses worse in my opinion. Two very different rounds.

TR675
10-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Last Saturday I was at a range with an overhang. My friend was shooting a 16" .300 Blackout next to me. In the next lane over, the shooter had a 16" .223/5.56. He was next to a wall. I was doubled up with muffs and plugs.

There was no comparison between the two. The .223/5.56 was far worse in terms of noise and concussion IMO. It was unpleasant. The .300 was "softer", less concussion, less "sharp." That's the best way I can describe it. I had a hard time telling the difference between my friend's shots and rifle shots from shooters 10 yards away. I was flinching when the .223 went off.

LittleLebowski
10-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Last Saturday I was at a range with an overhang. My friend was shooting a 16" .300 Blackout next to me. In the next lane over, the shooter had a 16" .223/5.56. He was next to a wall. I was doubled up with muffs and plugs.

There was no comparison between the two. The .223/5.56 was far worse in terms of noise and concussion IMO. It was unpleasant. The .300 was "softer", less concussion, less "sharp." That's the best way I can describe it. I had a hard time telling the difference between my friend's shots and rifle shots from shooters 10 yards away. I was flinching when the .223 went off.

Yup.

Paul Sharp
10-25-2016, 10:19 AM
There was a study done that some might know about, our snipers were talking about it but it's been years since I heard the conversation... Essentially the hearing loss issue in long range work is also from vibrations through the cheek via the stock. I'm supposed to call Kbar later today, if anyone would know where to find that study that man will.

Just texted a friend. His answer is to put a pad of some sort on the stock where you make your cheek weld. The issue is vibrations transferred through the stock, through your jawbone. If you already have tinnitus this will help, if you don't have it and you do a lot of long range work you will want to start using some sort of shock absorber between your face and the stock asap. The study was done sometime in the early 2000's and not sure where to find copies without plowing through a literal ton of files at the VA.

Robinson
10-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Makes me wonder something else. So far I've only shot supersonic rounds in my AR. Functioning has been 100%. I'm aware that some pretty knowledgeable folks advise against the use of subsonic 300 BLK for defensive use. But looking at those LeHigh Defense bullets makes me wonder if they would be a decent option for defensive use. I mean, if they are touted as an ethical deer killer...

Robinson
10-25-2016, 10:34 AM
There was a study done that some might know about, our snipers were talking about it but it's been years since I heard the conversation... Essentially the hearing loss issue in long range work is also from vibrations through the cheek via the stock. I'm supposed to call Kbar later today, if anyone would know where to find that study that man will.

Just texted a friend. His answer is to put a pad of some sort on the stock where you make your cheek weld. The issue is vibrations transferred through the stock, through your jawbone. If you already have tinnitus this will help, if you don't have it and you do a lot of long range work you will want to start using some sort of shock absorber between your face and the stock asap. The study was done sometime in the early 2000's and not sure where to find copies without plowing through a literal ton of files at the VA.

Interesting -- thanks for adding that info.

All the things I've done throughout my life that I didn't think were going to cause permanent hearing damage have ended up causing me quite a problem. Now I am paying for my earlier ignorance.

psalms144.1
10-25-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm constantly looking to simplify my life, so I understand your caliber concern. As someone who's fired a lot of 5.56 indoors, inside vehicles/etc, sometimes without perfect seal on hearing protection, it's loud. Not Mk17 short barrel inside a house loud, but loud. If I were in your shoes, I'd dump the 30-30 for the 300B bolt gun, and get the latter threaded so you could use the suppressor on either.

Others may disagree, but I'll always take redundant weapons that use the same caliber and mags over variety. Call me crazy...

LittleLebowski
10-26-2016, 08:50 AM
I'm constantly looking to simplify my life, so I understand your caliber concern. As someone who's fired a lot of 5.56 indoors, inside vehicles/etc, sometimes without perfect seal on hearing protection, it's loud. Not Mk17 short barrel inside a house loud, but loud. If I were in your shoes, I'd dump the 30-30 for the 300B bolt gun, and get the latter threaded so you could use the suppressor on either.

Already threaded and ready to go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/594251131

Robinson
10-26-2016, 09:16 AM

Yes -- that gun is one of the options I've been considering actually. I've also been reading up on the Ruger American Ranch Rifle 300 BLK and I think each one has pros and cons (duh).

The Ruger is lighter and would be handier and easier to carry. Comes with a Weaver-style rail already mounted. Reports show good accuracy potential. However, the magazines seem cheap.

The Remington has an internal magazine that holds either 4 or 5 rounds -- I've seen it listed both ways. With its "tactical" barrel profile it's definitely heavier and I wonder how it would be to carry and shoot from typical field positions. I would not mount a bipod and use it in any type of tactical role obviously. But at 6.5 - 7 lbs (again I've seen it listed both ways) it's not that bad. My 16" AR is a bit muzzle-heavy with a suppressor mounted so I'm sort of used to it.

The Remington speaks to me more so than the Ruger, but what do you think about using that heavy barrel profile on a general-purpose suppressed rifle?

David S.
10-26-2016, 01:56 PM
His answer is to put a pad of some sort on the stock where you make your cheek weld. The issue is vibrations transferred through the stock, through your jawbone.

What's the thinking on the Tikka CTR's raised cheek pad. Is that hard polymer like the stock, or foam that might absorb vibration?

SLG
10-26-2016, 03:04 PM
I'd like to hear more about the vibration issue. Bone conduction (rather than vibration from contact) has always been an issue, said to be greater than direct sound. It's why it's good that muffs cover the little sensitive bone in front of the ear...though I'm told that conduction occurs through your entire skull, just to a greater or lesser extent. I always double up, just to be on the safer side.

Is there an MD in the house who specializes in any of this?

SteveB
10-26-2016, 03:43 PM
What's the thinking on the Tikka CTR's raised cheek pad. Is that hard polymer like the stock, or foam that might absorb vibration?

Mine is hard polymer and not real comfortable.

coldcase1984
10-26-2016, 04:31 PM
The new T3x models all have foam inside the stock to reduce noise from banging into things, but should help with the noise absorption, too.

MolonLabe416
10-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Of the choices you listed initially, I'd go 300 Blackout in both bolt and AR. That gives you a lot of flexibility that you won't have with 5.56. If I weren't so heavily invested in 5.56, I'd go 300BLK.

SeriousStudent
10-26-2016, 07:31 PM

May I be so bold as to suggest this one?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/aac-model-7-300-blackout-16-threaded-picatinny.html

Same price, and also offers a scope base and a cheek piece which would be easier to retro fit a pad. I'm definitely going to follow up on the suggestion by Mr Sharp, regarding cheek pad vibrations and deafness.

Robinson, I am basically in the same boat as you. Pretty much deaf in my left ear, and can't hear well out of the right one. I always wear Surefire plugs and Sordin muffs everywhere I shoot. I also keep a dedicated set of Sordins next to the bed.

Robinson
10-26-2016, 09:04 PM
May I be so bold as to suggest this one?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/aac-model-7-300-blackout-16-threaded-picatinny.html

Same price, and also offers a scope base and a cheek piece which would be easier to retro fit a pad. I'm definitely going to follow up on the suggestion by Mr Sharp, regarding cheek pad vibrations and deafness.

Robinson, I am basically in the same boat as you. Pretty much deaf in my left ear, and can't hear well out of the right one. I always wear Surefire plugs and Sordin muffs everywhere I shoot. I also keep a dedicated set of Sordins next to the bed.

I'm sorry to hear about your hearing problems -- I know it affects pretty much every aspect of life.

I have looked into the Micro 7 that you posted a link to. The thing that turned me away is I read several accounts of feeding problems with the guns and I don't know if Remington ever ironed out the issues. It would certainly be lighter to carry than the 700 SPS Tactical.

SeriousStudent
10-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Interesting - thanks for the feeding issues info on the Model 7. I do have a friend that carries one of the older Kevlar-stocked Model 7's in 7mm-08, with a Nightforce fixed power scope. it is his primary deer rifle, and works magic.

Of course, that was made during the pre-Cerebus era at Remington. :(

My bedside gun is either a 12.5" 870 SBS, or a 8.5" 300 BLK with a Rugged suppressor. Every now and then I have the truly deranged idea of buying a Silencerco Salvo for the SBS. :cool:

Robinson
10-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Okay so today the LGS had both a Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK and a Remington AAC Micro 7 300 BLK, so I did some comparisons side by side.

They are both fairly lightweight, handy rifles. The stock on the Remington seems much more solid than the Ruger, which seems somewhat cheap to me (hence the price point). The detachable box magazine in the Ruger also seems like a cheaply made part -- but it holds 5 rounds which is a plus. The internal magazine on the Remington has a hinged floorplate and holds 4 rounds. I believe aftermarket bottom metal is available for this gun.

Both guns have rail-type optics bases attached. I think the Ruger is a Weaver type, not sure about the Remington. I'm not sure how easy it will be to top-load rounds into the Remington with the one piece base -- if I go in to examine the rifles again I may take some dummy rounds to try out.

Although quite subjective, the Remington feels more substantial and like a better made gun -- but of course the way it feels is just a small part of the story. The Remington also costs more than the Ruger by a fair margin.

Malamute
10-29-2016, 02:06 PM
I would make a guess and say that a one piece base over the loading/ejection port could be clearanced some without causing problems. Would be worthwhile to have your optic chosen and fitted first of course to avoid embarrassment.

DocGKR
10-29-2016, 02:23 PM
In your case, go .300 BLK in bolt and AR15.

Learn to reload.

Keep in mind that ANY gun is better than no gun in a defensive situation. If you need to go .300 BLK subsonic for health reasons and are wiling to make trade-off in terminal performance for sound reduction, then go for it--just beware of what you are doing...

SLG
10-29-2016, 07:31 PM
You can very easily replace the one piece base with a two piece base, if that's what you prefer.

45dotACP
10-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Have you considered a large bore single shot 45 with a suppressor? I know it's a little off the wall, but a 405 grain bullet going subsonic might still pack a wallop. The trajectory would look like a major league fastball, but if your shots are fairly close it may be less important.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Robinson
10-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Have you considered a large bore single shot 45 with a suppressor? I know it's a little off the wall, but a 405 grain bullet going subsonic might still pack a wallop. The trajectory would look like a major league fastball, but if your shots are fairly close it may be less important.

If I were to go with .45-70 I guess I would pick a levergun. Having a repeater seems like a good idea -- unless I am missing your point? Hunting is not my primary concern -- I've gotten away from that in recent years.

Robinson
10-29-2016, 08:17 PM
You can very easily replace the one piece base with a two piece base, if that's what you prefer.

SLG, you just gave me a "duh" moment. I'm embarrassed to admit it didn't occur to me. :)

The one piece base may actually work fine, I just know I've read comments from others that were less than positive when it comes to top-loading internal magazine bolt actions that are equipped with a one-piece base.

Robinson
10-29-2016, 08:20 PM
In your case, go .300 BLK in bolt and AR15.

Learn to reload.

Keep in mind that ANY gun is better than no gun in a defensive situation. If you need to go .300 BLK subsonic for health reasons and are wiling to make trade-off in terminal performance for sound reduction, then go for it--just beware of what you are doing...

Ya know Doc, I really appreciate your input on this. I realize I am somewhat outside the sphere of folks you normally discuss such things with. I haven't meant to be dense about the subject, my circumstances lead me to explore all avenues and yes I do look for compromises like what you suggest. I wish it were not the case.

45dotACP
10-29-2016, 08:31 PM
If I were to go with .45-70 I guess I would pick a levergun. Having a repeater seems like a good idea -- unless I am missing your point? Hunting is not my primary concern -- I've gotten away from that in recent years.
Oh yeah I thought we were talking about hunting...for defensive purposes I shall defer to the experts, but a suppressed levergun in 45-70 sounds awesome.

Robinson
11-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Oh yeah I thought we were talking about hunting...for defensive purposes I shall defer to the experts, but a suppressed levergun in 45-70 sounds awesome.

It does. But if I were to seriously contemplate a suppressed levergun it would probably be the .30-30 I already own. And I think it would be possibly more awesome than the .45-70 in a home defense role.

Robinson
11-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Okay so from the reading I've done it appears to boil down to four choices for non-custom bolt guns chambered for 300 BLK. All of these are equipped with 16" threaded barrels from the factory.

1) Ruger American Ranch Rifle

Pros: Really good price, five round magazine capacity, reports of good accuracy, light and handy, the bolt works nicely with no binding
Cons: Cheap stock, rotary magazines are questionable -- some work great some don't and Ruger will replace them

2) Remington AAC Micro 7

Pros: Solid stock, receiver-mounted base for optics (seems like top loading won't be difficult), light and handy (a little heavier than the Ruger)
Cons: Reports of feeding issues early on, but Remington may have resolved the issue, pricier than the Ruger

3) Remington 700 SPS Tactical

Pros: Heavy barrel profile should provide good accuracy over several shots as it heats up, unsure what else since I haven't handled one of these
Cons: Hogue stock may contact the barrel when using a firm rest, HEAVY barrel profile makes it less handy for carry and field use

4) Kimber Adirondack

Pros: Quality construction (I presume), controlled feed action with 3-position safety, kevlar/carbon fiber stock makes it very light
Cons: Most expensive of the group by far, somewhat obnoxious color scheme

My priorities if I actually go with a bolt gun:

1) Easily suppressed (all the above meet this requirement)
2) Reliability and durability
3) Handiness and ergonomics

Does anyone want to voice an opinion about the above options based on experience, knowledge, preferences, or biases?

Crews
11-03-2016, 10:10 AM
FWIW, unless I'm mistaken CDI makes a dbm kit for Model 7 actions so you can use AI mags.

Robinson
11-03-2016, 10:23 AM
FWIW, unless I'm mistaken CDI makes a dbm kit for Model 7 actions so you can use AI mags.

Correct. They advise letting them install the modification as some inletting is involved -- they also install a more robust bottom metal attachment screw. Not sure I'd go that route since I find internal magazine guns handier to carry.

Duces Tecum
11-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Okay so from the reading I've done it appears to boil down to four choices for non-custom bolt guns chambered for 300 BLK. All of these are equipped with 16" threaded barrels from the factory.

Pros: Heavy barrel profile should provide good accuracy over several shots as it heats up, unsure what else since I haven't handled one of these.

For this rifle's purpose, why talk about "accuracy" at the range this will be used? Wouldn't 4 MOA be quite adequate? That would place all rounds inside a dinner plate at 250 yards.

And why do we care about POI changes as the barrel heats? See above.

Duces Tecum
11-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Sounds right, but most of the "deaf" rifle guys I know are (a) right handed and left ear deaf. Doesn't it seem that if bone conduction was an issue that they'd be deaf in the ear closest to the stock?

SLG
11-03-2016, 11:24 AM
SLG, you just gave me a "duh" moment. I'm embarrassed to admit it didn't occur to me. :)

The one piece base may actually work fine, I just know I've read comments from others that were less than positive when it comes to top-loading internal magazine bolt actions that are equipped with a one-piece base.

I find it harder to load a top loader when a one piece base is on it. Truthfully, top loaders, which I prefer for field use, can be pretty hard to reload much of the time, especially under stress, and especially compared to good dbm. Mostly not an issue in the real world.

As for your 4 choices, I would go with the M7 personally, and the M700 next. Both are going to be much easier to alter or have work done done the road.

The hogue stock on the 700 will touch the barrel with a properly loaded bipod. Not as likely off just a rest, but I would not personally leave that stockon there regardless.

SteveB
11-03-2016, 11:40 AM

1) Ruger American Ranch Rifle

Pros: Really good price, five round magazine capacity, reports of good accuracy, light and handy, the bolt works nicely with no binding
Cons: Cheap stock, rotary magazines are questionable -- some work great some don't and Ruger will replace them

2) Remington AAC Micro 7

Pros: Solid stock, receiver-mounted base for optics (seems like top loading won't be difficult), light and handy (a little heavier than the Ruger)
Cons: Reports of feeding issues early on, but Remington may have resolved the issue, pricier than the Ruger

Pros: Heavy barrel profile should provide good accuracy over several shots as it heats up, unsure what else since I haven't handled one of these
Cons: Hogue stock may contact the barrel when using a firm rest, HEAVY barrel profile makes it less handy for carry and field use

4) Kimber Adirondack

Pros: Quality construction (I presume), controlled feed action with 3-position safety, kevlar/carbon fiber stock makes it very light
Cons: Most expensive of the group by far, somewhat obnoxious color scheme

My priorities if I actually go with a bolt gun:

1) Easily suppressed (all the above meet this requirement)
2) Reliability and durability
3) Handiness and ergonomics

Does anyone want to voice an opinion about the above options based on experience, knowledge, preferences, or biases?

I've owned a Micro 7 and that would be my choice from your list. I've coonfingered the Ruger; it's inexpensive for a reason. The 700 tactical is hugely overweight for your purposes and this cartridge. As you say, the Kimber is pricey; I've owned a great Kimber and also had one that wasn't so great. The Kimber is a great mountain rifle, but 300 BKT is not a great mountain cartridge. The Micro 7 is light, short, handy, good action, good trigger; lots of aftermarket support. Mine was accurate and reliable.

Robinson
11-03-2016, 11:43 AM
For this rifle's purpose, why talk about "accuracy" at the range this will be used? Wouldn't 4 MOA be quite adequate? That would place all rounds inside a dinner plate at 250 yards.

And why do we care about POI changes as the barrel heats? See above.

The points you addressed are not the primary considerations that's true, and in my case I actually consider the heavy barrel more of a con than a pro. I was simply pointing out things that could be considered benefits of each rifle listed.

Robinson
11-03-2016, 11:45 AM
I've owned a Micro 7 and that would be my choice from your list. I've coonfingered the Ruger; it's inexpensive for a reason. The 700 tactical is hugely overweight for your purposes and this cartridge. As you say, the Kimber is pricey; I've owned a great Kimber and also had one that wasn't so great. The Kimber is a great mountain rifle, but 300 BKT is not a great mountain cartridge. The Micro 7 is light, short, handy, good action, good trigger; lots of aftermarket support. Mine was accurate and reliable.

Good feedback, thanks.

Robinson
11-03-2016, 11:46 AM
I find it harder to load a top loader when a one piece base is on it. Truthfully, top loaders, which I prefer for field use, can be pretty hard to reload much of the time, especially under stress, and especially compared to good dbm. Mostly not an issue in the real world.

As for your 4 choices, I would go with the M7 personally, and the M700 next. Both are going to be much easier to alter or have work done done the road.

The hogue stock on the 700 will touch the barrel with a properly loaded bipod. Not as likely off just a rest, but I would not personally leave that stockon there regardless.

Thanks, I value your input on this.

Robinson
11-05-2016, 02:40 PM
I bought the Remington AAC Micro 7 today, along with a Trijicon AccuPower 1-4X24 optic. Now I just need to add a quick-attach muzzle device for my Omega and a good sling and it should be good to go.

SeriousStudent
11-05-2016, 04:41 PM
I bought the Remington AAC Micro 7 today, along with a Trijicon AccuPower 1-4X24 optic. Now I just need to add a quick-attach muzzle device for my Omega and a good sling and it should be good to go.

Very cool, let us know how it works for you.

Robinson
11-19-2016, 11:07 PM
So I have the Micro 7 in hand with the AccuPower mounted and bore-sighted. The next step is to attach a SilencerCo ASR brake for the suppressor. I have not taken it to the rifle range yet.

After handling the gun some more and running some dummy rounds through the action, I am thinking a trip to CDI to have DBM bottom metal installed will be happening in the very near future. Top-loading the 300 BLK cartridges into the internal magazine is less than optimal, especially with their short length. That along with a bolt handle extender and a good sling should finish this thing up.

Lex Luthier
11-19-2016, 11:35 PM
A general question for the thread. I am a big fan of the 6.5 x 55 Swedish cartridge; is there any reason why a thoughtfully appointed rifle in this caliber wouldn't fit the scout concept?

Robinson
11-20-2016, 12:01 AM
A general question for the thread. I am a big fan of the 6.5 x 55 Swedish cartridge; is there any reason why a thoughtfully appointed rifle in this caliber wouldn't fit the scout concept?

I think the 6.5 X 55 would work for a practical rifle if not for a true "Scout" as defined by Cooper. I believe it requires a long action, and factory loadings are a bit mild so as to be usable in older rifles. 7mm-08 would be another good choice -- slightly larger diameter and modern loadings should be plentiful.

But I am not an expert -- others may have better advice to give on this.

SteveB
11-20-2016, 08:42 AM

Nothing wrong with the 6.5X55, but you can get the same ballistics out a short action with either .260 or 6.5 CM, maybe better choices for a short rifle.

Robinson
02-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Resurrecting this thread to post an update. I now have the Remington AAC Micro 7 set up for use with the following features:

Trijicon AccuPower 1-4X24 optic
SilencerCo Omega suppressor
Bottom metal from CDi Precision with MDT 10-rd magazine
KRG bolt knob
Latigo sling

SeriousStudent
02-17-2017, 01:00 AM
That looks splendid. I will look forward to the pictures of the pulled pork sandwiches. :)

SkiDevil
02-17-2017, 06:46 AM
That's a sweet looking rifle. :p

How much does it weigh as pictured?

Robinson
02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys.

The rifle weighs just over nine pounds as shown.

Robinson
05-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Of course now CZ does this after I buy my Remington and have the bottom metal installed. Looks like a nifty rifle and is offered in 300 BLK chambering.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american-synthetic-suppressor-ready/

45dotACP
05-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Fuckin A that's cool.