PDA

View Full Version : Horsehide leather holster rough side in vs rough side out

wrt81
11-21-2011, 10:42 AM
On a horsehide holster would having the rough side of the leather out to help with stability, does that negatively impact the moisture/sweat resistance of horsehide? I've read that the rough side out may absorb moisture more, but to me there would still be that smoothh side barrier against the gun.

Any thoughts and experiences on this?

JRCHolsters
11-21-2011, 10:56 AM
On a horsehide holster would having the rough side of the leather out to help with stability, does that negatively impact the moisture/sweat resistance of horsehide? I've read that the rough side out may absorb moisture more, but to me there would still be that smoothh side barrier against the gun.

Any thoughts and experiences on this?

Horsehide is actually very smooth on the "rough" side. Once the holster is finished and coated, it will have an excellent seal against the elements. As smooth as it is, I don't really think there will be any advantage in stability, though. Aside from a novel look, there wouldn't be any real advantage or disadvantage.

wrt81
11-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Horsehide is actually very smooth on the "rough" side. Once the holster is finished and coated, it will have an excellent seal against the elements. As smooth as it is, I don't really think there will be any advantage in stability, though. Aside from a novel look, there wouldn't be any real advantage or disadvantage.

Thanks JRC, appreciate it!

JodyH
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
My Highnoon IWB is rough-out horsehide.
After a few weeks of daily carry it self polished to a smooth finish.
I haven't noticed any sweat through and I carry in 100+ degree heat for hours at a time.

SmokeJumper
11-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Just from personal experience with several horsehide holsters that I've carried over the last few years or so, I don't think that the rough or smooth side is going to make a difference with regard to sweat passing through or not or quicker/slower. Most, if not all of the top leather holster guys/companies treat them well with a finish to ensure minimal sweat penetration into the holster to the weapon. As for stability, the belt(s)/anchor points to your belt and the shape/size of the holster body is where its at regarding stability, in my opinion.

JRCHolsters
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Your right SmokeJumper, when the horsehide is properly sealed, it it pretty impervious to sweat. The grain is very tight to begin with, making it a good choice in hot and humid environments. Body placement, belt and design all make for the stability.