PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: "West of the Mississippi" 2017 Foundational Pistol Class

RJ
10-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Objective

My wife and I travel in the summers across the country in an RV. For 2017, we plan to spend four to six months slowly sightseeing across the Rockies to the Pacific Northwest, returning East through Idaho / Montana / North and South Dakota.

One of my objectives for the trip is to take a good foundational defensive pistol class, somewhere along the road.

Unfortunately, to date, I have not had any luck in finding instructors who schedule classes quite that far in advance.

Desired Class Objectives

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

Good, solid introductory pistol training, applicable to defensive use (i.e. draw from concealment; rapid accurate multiple shots on target). Skills and drills I can use subsequent to the class. An assessment of my stance, grip, draw and press, correcting any fundamental issues.

Enhancing my accuracy at close, medium and far distances. Handling of malfunctions. A scored metric assessing my ability before, and after the class. Mindset, as well as the legal implications of a self-defense shooting, would be a plus, but is not necessary.

Constraints

My constraints are that it not take place prior to 1 May, and not after the end of August. Earlier (May/June) would be ideal, and preferable to later (July/August) It can be basically anywhere in the broadly "West/Northwest", i.e. west of the Mississippi and/or north of Texas, extending all the way to Washington State.

I have a budget of $450 and can allocate up to two days. I am ok with either a private lesson, or typical multiple participant class; although I think my budget will only cover a pre-planned class.

My Background

I have a FL CWHL and have completed two intro to Action Pistol Class weekends, as well as shot 1 Steel and 1 USPSA local match. I attended Rangemaster Conference 2016 in Memphis, taking Paul Sharp's recoil clinic, Nyeti's fighting pistol class and John Murphy's segment. I also have worked with Mr. White in Clackamas at a private session for 2 hours working on draws as well as skills. I have completed an 8 hour civilian TCCC-based first aid class at my local range. I have a VP9 for games and a P30SK LEM for a carry pistol. I have shot about 6,000 rounds since taking up shooting as a hobby in 2013.

Summary

If you are aware of any upcoming classes along these lines, or recommended instructors, being scheduled in that time frame in 2017, I'd be obliged if you would PM me, or post in the thread.

In the meantime, I will continue to search for classes online, and will post up if I find something suitable.

Thank you!

Duces Tecum
10-18-2016, 05:40 PM
Rich,

As requested.

Listed in alphabetical order. These are some of the folks on my short list for future classes. Caveat emptor.

Darryl Bolke http://hardwiredtacticalshooting.com/our-instructors/ Teaches how to survive a gunfight both on the street and in the court. Teaches in the Dallas, TX area.

Steve Hendricks www.customtactical.net Emphasis is on use of fundamentals. Montrose, CO.

Larry Mudgett http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/ Appleseed. Former Gunsite instructor. Teaches in Saratoga Springs, Utah

Karl Rehn http://www.krtraining.com/newinst/karlbio.html Force-on-force. Austin, TX.

RJ
10-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks a bunch. ^^^

orionz06
10-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Coordinate with Legendary Lawman Marshal Chuck Haggard of Agile Training and this forum.

taadski
10-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Rich,

Keep an eye on the Operation Specific Training site. That's Bruce Gray's training company. His Practical Fundamentals class is a full immersion journey into the finer points of trigger control. It's not to be missed, if the timing/location works out for you. I did a review of one of his classes this past May here on PF if you'd like some more details. It doesn't look like he has next summer fleshed out in his class calendar yet, but I'd suspect he'll be adding some western classes during that time frame. I'd give them a call. He's based in Oregon.

https://opspectraining.com

As a prior co-worker and friend, I can give Steve Hendricks (mentioned above) a +1. Super solid BTDT dude. He was a member of the Gunsite cadre back in the day and also has a lengthy competitive shooting background (USPSA GM, etc...).

Ron Avery also still lives and teaches in the western slope area. He's doing a bunch of classwork out of Saint George, UT (Tactical Performance Center) these days, but has some Montrose stuff on his schedule over the summer. His company is called The Practical Shooting Academy.

http://www.practicalshootingacademy.com

You wouldn't be going wrong with any of the above.

t

John Hearne
10-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Karl Rehn hosts Tom Givens for multiple classes every year. He's near Austin, TX.

RJ
10-19-2016, 02:23 PM
All - Thanks for the suggestions and PMs. Much appreciated.

It's probably worthwhile for me to summarize who I'm in contact with so far, to save anyone from mentioning a class/instructor I'm already engaged with:

- Tom Givens/Rangemaster Combative Pistol - I hugely enjoyed the Rangemaster Conference in Memphis this year. Although it was like drinking from a fire hose, I learned a ton and went from like zip to a basic exposure to firearm training. Tom has told me he is always adding classes to the Rangemaster web site, but summer 2017 is not yet populated.

His Combative Pistol class has been recommended to me several times. Two days and $450 is perfect, and I know it would be a big boost in my skill set to participate. This class is probably my leading preference, if I can manage to be in an area where Tom is teaching, somewhere in summer of 2017.

- Karl Rehn - I've received a couple very informative emails from Karl about training options. He is hosting Mas Ayoob's MAG-40 class in time frame I'm considering. All four days might be over my budget, but the two days of MAG-20 might be doable. Although we could reroute to do Texas this year, we did a lot of time in Texas last year and this year. But I might consider this. It certainly appears to be a solid option. Plus, Karl is an EE like me. :cool:

- Chuck Haggard - I am in PM contact with Chuck on options in his home area, possibly in May. I'll get back with him once my plans firm up on our route. (thanks Orionz06!)

- Hardwired Tactical Shooting (Nyeti/Wayne) - I'm looking at options for their First Responder Pistol class for 2017, but the details are not yet posted. Same as before; we may or may not be headed through Texas this year, given the routes we are considering. But is is an option.

- Rogers Shooting School - Although it looks like a great program, the location (GA) and price point don't match up with what I am looking for.

I've also clicked through to the other instructors / web sites above, but as yet haven't identified a class option I currently plan to register, for various reasons.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Totem Polar
10-19-2016, 02:42 PM
Matt Graham typically does one weekend open enrollment class in WA state around May. I found his HG class to be extraordinarily helpful. Disclaimer: he's a friend, so I do have that bias. Still, I left the weekend a demonstrably better shooter than when I arrived, so it panned out well for me.

http://www.grahamtradecraft.com/open-enrollment-training-schedule/

(This year's OE combined class was in April, but I seem to remember taking a 2-day HG from him in May a couple years back)

Might also be worth shooting Greg Hamilton at insights an email as well. Greg is a great instructor, IME.

http://www.insightstraining.com

That said, I'm not seeing anything on your short list so far that I wouldn't jump to take myself, if I was there or passing through.

MDS
10-19-2016, 02:44 PM
A bit off topic, but it seems you're normally near Lakeland, FL and I can't recommend Randy Cain's Handgun 101 enough for a strong fundamentals class. See his schedule here (http://www.guntactics.com/schedule.htm).

jetfire
10-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Let me know when you're coming through South Dakota. I don't teach a lot of open enrollment classes but you can come shoot, pick my brain, and I'll buy you a beer later.

Assuming beer is your thing.

LOKNLOD
10-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Here in Oklahoma, Spencer Keepers is starting to offer some more classes himself, as well being a great host to many of the big names.

A little known option is Will Andrews at Oklahoma Shooting Skills. I know Spencer has spoken well of him and the foundational type classes seem to be his core business.

I haven't trained with them myself, but TDSA in Tulsa seems to have a decent reputation for a good solid class.

USSA is also has a big facilty in Tulsa.

Mike Seeklander is based out to Tulsa too. Most of his classes seem to be elsewhere though. But if you pay I think he does offer to sync up for a private session.

And as always if you come through OKC area call ahead and if nothing else we'll set you up for a range trip.

RJ
10-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Assuming beer is your thing.

Is Wienerschnitzel German? Ach du Lieber. :cool:

Thanks, definitely we are headed to SD. Probably June (ish). Will look ya up nearer time.

BTW, ditto on the libations, on my end.

We travel in an Airstream Travel Trailer, and the welcome mat is always open for an adult beverage, conversation under the awning, or a tour (or all three lol).

RJ
10-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Ok, this popped up on my radar; Mr. Givens' Combative Pistol I, July 1-2 2017, near Kalispell MT:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161023/70623667bb5ab22ad73136f71838dcdb.png

Anyone with info on the local area?

I could see us being up this way by July. I've always thought Mr. Givens would be a good way to start to get some foundational pistol training, oriented to defensive use.

Greg
10-23-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm planning on taking that Kalispell class myself.

RJ
10-24-2016, 08:03 AM
I'm planning on taking that Kalispell class myself.

Cool.

I'm still looking at options, but that one interests me.

I'd like to know where the venue is, specifically. We'd need to be camped in the airstream nearby, and I don't know much about the area. I'll see if I can find out from Tom.

SMD
10-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Thanks for posting about the Kalispell/Givens class.

JAD
10-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Is Wienerschnitzel German? ).

I'm pretty damn sure it's Austrian.

RJ
10-25-2016, 07:17 PM
I'm pretty damn sure it's Austrian.

Es tut mir leid und entschuldigung. Sie hat rechts, naturlich. :cool:

MGW
10-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Rich, let me know if you find something from Chuck in that time frame. I'm basically in his back yard and have yet to find an opportunity to take a class from him. Would be a great excuse to go.

RJ
10-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Rich, let me know if you find something from Chuck in that time frame. I'm basically in his back yard and have yet to find an opportunity to take a class from him. Would be a great excuse to go.

Will do.

RJ
11-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Found another option: Mr Langdon is doing one of his two-day courses May 6-7 2017 in the Oklahoma City Oklahoma area.
http://www.langdontactical.com/Class-Schedule.html

Ok City seems just north of DFW, and may be on our route in May as well.

RJ
11-15-2016, 09:03 AM
Just another update: I heard back from Jerry Jones of Op Spec training: opspectraining.com.

His home range is in Paducah KY and he indicated he had several classes in 2017.

OnionsAndDragons
11-17-2016, 03:16 AM
Found another option: Mr Langdon is doing one of his two-day courses May 6-7 2017 in the Oklahoma City Oklahoma area.
http://www.langdontactical.com/Class-Schedule.html

Ok City seems just north of DFW, and may be on our route in May as well.

Rich,

If it comes down to this class or Givens, I have to recommend taking the Langdon class. Mostly because Givens is based out of FL now and would generally be easier for you to catch any given year, and he does many classes a year. Ernest only does so many classes, and he has a lot to offer.

RJ
11-17-2016, 07:28 AM
Rich,

If it comes down to this class or Givens, I have to recommend taking the Langdon class. Mostly because Givens is based out of FL now and would generally be easier for you to catch any given year, and he does many classes a year. Ernest only does so many classes, and he has a lot to offer.

Thanks. I agree both classes would be a great way for me to get some basic training. I appreciate the perspective because as a novice, it is hard to differentiate.

I was a little unsure I could keep up in Ernest's class, so I emailed him to ask his view.

To my surprise, he responded almost immediately. I described my background and training routine. Ernest indicated I would probably be fine in the class, and that it would come at about the right time in my training.

I was impressed a fairly major industry player would respond to a random guy on the internet. Class move.

Anyway, still on the hunt for options down the road in 2017, whether they be formal training sessions, meet ups at the range, or even tours of our Airstream Travel Trailer. :cool:

OnionsAndDragons
11-17-2016, 07:41 AM
Ernest is a super-nice dude.

Interestingly, what he told you was almost exactly what I thought upon seeing you mention the class. You have basic gun handling down; you've had some holster work and a bit of refinement coaching; you have a willingness to practice and a solid mindset. IMO, you would get more than you would expect from a class like his.

You'd still get a lot out of Compative Pistol, but I don't think it would be as eye opening for you. To think about it longer-term, I think you get the most out of taking Langdons TPS course and then taking one of Givens CP2 or Dynamic Marksmanship for your next foray.

David S.
12-03-2016, 09:53 AM
I'll drop the first little public hint here.

I'm in the process of creating a website to address this exact issue. It will list, including a map with pins, that consolidates the training schedules of solid, vetted, traveling instructors, such as Tom Givens, Southnarc, Langdon, etc, and regional instructors like HiTS, FPF Training (John Murphy) and Independence Training.

I am looking to release the first draft of the site in early January. (Soon TM) So far, I have the 2017 schedules of about 20 instructors (250 classes) listed around the country. I expect that to easily double or triple as time goes on.

Cheers,
David

Totem Polar
12-03-2016, 11:04 AM
^^^David, that's fantastic.

(So is the scenery around Kalispel, btw)

Duces Tecum
12-03-2016, 11:34 AM
It will list, including a map with pins, that consolidates the training schedules of solid, vetted, traveling instructors, such as Tom Givens, Southnarc, Langdon, etc, and regional instructors like HiTS, FPF Training (John Murphy) and Independence Training.

David, that is brilliant. It encourages training ("I know I should pay the mortgage, but I really need that class!") It will certainly expose the listed class and location to a wider audience, and very probably cause enrollments that would otherwise have been missed. It'll probably include links to sign up too, huh? I don't know how this can pay for itself -- charging the local sponsor a flat fee for the posting of that specific training class comes to mind. Maybe charging the trainer for an annual listing. Accepting appropriate advertising? In any event, I hope you do very well with this idea of yours. It's time has come.

David S.
12-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Listings are broken down by category (handgun, carbine, medical, FoF, etc) and each instructor has their own sub-page with brief bios, class descriptions, website links and enrollment links, when available. I hope add ratings and review functionality in the future.

If the site gains traction, I'll figure out how to monetize it. I have a few ideas, including advertising and optional memberships. I may offer an event management service, similar to Eventbrite, to the instructors, if there is interest. The basic site listings will be completely free to students and instructors.

Cheers,
David S.

jlw
12-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Rich,

I've taken numerous courses from Tom, and I have taken Ernest's Tactical Pistol Skills class. Both are great classes.

Rich,

You used the word "foundational". Perhaps you should define that word as what it means to you. In my opinion (and connotation), Givens' Combative Pistol 1 class is THE foundational pistol class. It is the core of my skill set and philosophy with other classes being tweaks, fine tuning, and additional layers of knowledge. CP1 incorporates both philosophy of being armed and skills. Langdon's Tactical Pistol Skills was more geared towards pure skills. I do hope to take more courses from him though.

Also, while Givens typically offers more courses per year, he's also in his sixties.

----------

I'm watching this thread as I am also looking for something out west for this summer as well. I did a Farnam class last summer in Colorado, and jacket weather in July appeals to me.

RJ
12-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Rich,

You used the word "foundational". Perhaps you should define that word as what it means to you.

Jlw - Thanks. Well, erm, I tried to outline what I was looking for in post #1 under 'Desired Course Objectives". I guess I could think how to expand that.

"Foundational" in my (limited) thinking is a course that takes a shooter who is safe, comfortable with the square range, and familiar with their equipment, and enhances that student by performing an assessment to correct weak points, coaching them with constructive criticism, exposing them to proven skills, objective metrics and appropriate suggestions for follow up drills to give them a solid foundation for further training.

Better?

Thanks for the thoughts, there are some good trainers out there, and I'm sure I'd get a lot out of about any course that has been mentioned so far. It's really a case of me (and my RV :) ) being in the right place at the right time.

PS Still like the hat. :cool:

jlw
12-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Jlw - Thanks. Well, erm, I tried to outline what I was looking for in post #1 under 'Desired Course Objectives". I guess I could think how to expand that.

"Foundational" in my (limited) thinking is a course that takes a shooter who is safe, comfortable with the square range, and familiar with their equipment, and enhances that student by performing an assessment to correct weak points, coaching them with constructive criticism, exposing them to proven skills, objective metrics and appropriate suggestions for follow up drills to give them a solid foundation for further training.

Better?

Thanks for the thoughts, there are some good trainers out there, and I'm sure I'd get a lot out of about any course that has been mentioned so far. It's really a case of me (and my RV :) ) being in the right place at the right time.

PS Still like the hat. :cool:

Below are links to my reviews of each course.

Givens CP1 Review (https://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/class-review-rangemaster-combative-pistol-i/)

Langdon TPS Review (https://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/class-review-tactical-pistol-skills-with-ernest-langdon/)

Based on your description in the quoted post, Givens CP1 fits that bill, but you won't be throwing away your money, time, or ammo with either.

RJ
01-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Rich,

Keep an eye on the Operation Specific Training site. That's Bruce Gray's training company. His Practical Fundamentals class is a full immersion journey into the finer points of trigger control. It's not to be missed, if the timing/location works out for you. I did a review of one of his classes this past May here on PF if you'd like some more details. It doesn't look like he has next summer fleshed out in his class calendar yet, but I'd suspect he'll be adding some western classes during that time frame. I'd give them a call. He's based in Oregon.

https://opspectraining.com

Looks like the 2017 Practical Fundamentals schedule is posted.

https://grayguns.com/training/

I am not sure the 4 locations for the Fundamentals class will work for me, but from the description as well as the AARs here and elsewhere, Jerry Jones and Bruce Gray's class would be what I am looking for also.

I'll definitely keep this one in mind though.

David S.
01-05-2017, 01:37 PM
The Practical Fundamentals is a wonderful class. I've taken it twice, I want to take it again, and highly recommend it. That said, based on your experience, I'd recommend a more generally focused class, like Tom Givens or Farnam run. Jerry and Bruce are terrific instructors that will happily work with a newbie like yourself, but I don't think the class is best suited for someone with your level of experience.

I don't know how they've changed the curriculum in the several years since I've taken the class. With Practical Fundamentals, they really, really, really wanted to teach isolated, nuanced trigger control skills and some mental game topics (not to be confused with Mindset). Unfortunately, they are kinda forced to broaden the scope of the class because students, like myself when I took it, weren't ready for it. This was the first formal, multi-day training class for many of us, so they had to spend the whole first day teaching us basic grip, stance, sight alignment, trigger control so everyone was on the same page before going on to the real meat.

Will you learn something from Practical Fundamentals? Absolutely. But I think it's a class better suited for a upper level novice through advanced student who already have a few good classes under their belt and a solid grasp of fundamentals.

If I had it to do over again, I'd make it my 3rd or 4th "real" (multi-day) class, not the first. I think they would tell you the same thing.

Cheers,
David

David S.
01-05-2017, 01:46 PM
What about Jeff Gonzales at Trident Concepts? Looks like he's based in Austin and has a class schedule (http://www.tridentconcepts.com/the-range-at-austin/) listed through June. I've heard his name, but I don't know much about him or how his curriculum applies to CCWers.

RJ
01-05-2017, 02:16 PM
The Practical Fundamentals is a wonderful class. ...

Check.

If I can manage to get to Kalispell MT in July, Mr. Given's two day class is at the top of my list.

RJ
01-06-2017, 08:11 AM
What about Jeff Gonzales at Trident Concepts? Looks like he's based in Austin and has a class schedule (http://www.tridentconcepts.com/the-range-at-austin/) listed through June. I've heard his name, but I don't know much about him or how his curriculum applies to CCWers.

I found a 2014 AAR here:

AAR: Trident Concepts Combative Pistol 2. Nov 7-9, Los Angeles, CA

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpistol-forum%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D13976&share_tid=13976&share_fid=18787&share_type=t

Based on that, it might be a bit over my head at this point. Interesting he compares it to Mr. Gray's course.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David S.
01-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Combative Pistol 2 is almost certainly over your head.

Another consideration, if it works for you, Larry Mudgett (http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com) (between SLC and Provo) is running "Defensive Pistol" series of classes in June. I've heard Darryl Bolke mention his name a time or five.

MVS
01-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Combative Pistol 2 is almost certainly over your head.

Another consideration, if it works for you, Larry Mudgett (http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com) (between SLC and Provo) is running "Defensive Pistol" series of classes in June. I've heard Darryl Bolke mention his name a time or five.

I would really like to do a Larry Mudgett class, I am just not ready to go that far to do it when guys like Tom Givens come so close to me often. If I was out in that general area though, I would make it a point to do classes at Marksmanship Matters. I met a guy from that area in my Suarez Pistol Instructor class and he later went on to do all of the Larry Mudgett classes and just raves about him.

RJ
01-29-2017, 06:21 AM
Found a one day Frank Proctor class SW of Ft Worth in April I'm looking at:

http://www.wayofthegun.us/1-day-perfomance-pistol-course-cresson-tx-april-22-2017/

RJ
02-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Found a one day Frank Proctor class SW of Ft Worth in April I'm looking at:

http://www.wayofthegun.us/1-day-perfomance-pistol-course-cresson-tx-april-22-2017/

Looks like this one will be a "go" for my first class. Price is right, good instructor reputation, positive AARs here and elsewhere, lesson plan aligned with what I believe I need, previous classes list novices attending first class, and instructor who spends time correcting fundamental issues. Any info on the "Cresson TX" area, nearby sightseeting, BBQ joints etc. appreciated. :cool:. Map says 17 miles SW of Ft Worth. We've spent a weekend at FTW including the stockyards when i was working out of Dyess AFB Abilene, we enjoyed it a lot. Also, if anyone knows any details on the range this is likely to be taught at, I'd appreciate it.

Thoughts appreciated...

RJ
02-27-2017, 03:10 PM
Looks like this one will be a "go" for my first class. Price is right, good instructor reputation, positive AARs here and elsewhere, lesson plan aligned with what I believe I need, previous classes list novices attending first class, and instructor who spends time correcting fundamental issues. Any info on the "Cresson TX" area, nearby sightseeting, BBQ joints etc. appreciated. :cool:. Map says 17 miles SW of Ft Worth. We've spent a weekend at FTW including the stockyards when i was working out of Dyess AFB Abilene, we enjoyed it a lot. Also, if anyone knows any details on the range this is likely to be taught at, I'd appreciate it.

Thoughts appreciated...

I went ahead and registered for this class with Frank Proctor. If there is anyone in the greater Ft W or Cresson area taking it as well, be glad to know.

Much appreciate all the help in this thread. Thanks all.

OnionsAndDragons
02-28-2017, 11:53 AM
That awesome, Rich!

I haven't taken a class with him, but it's hard to go wrong with a skills tune-up from a guy like Proctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJ
02-28-2017, 03:48 PM
That awesome, Rich!

I haven't taken a class with him, but it's hard to go wrong with a skills tune-up from a guy like Proctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. And, since it's a one day, She Who Must Be Obeyed has tentatively approved another second training session later in the year. Woot. :)

I am still going to pursue regular local USPSA matches as we travel, or meet ups to shoot , or host Airstream tours if folks just want to come by for an Adult Beverage.

I'm still a U shooter, so it would be a goal to actually get, you know, classified by the end of the year lol.

But yeah, I see a fair bit of positive AAR about Mr. Proctor's classes, and the timing works for us.

OPSPEC
07-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. And, since it's a one day, She Who Must Be Obeyed has tentatively approved another second training session later in the year. Woot. :)

I am still going to pursue regular local USPSA matches as we travel, or meet ups to shoot , or host Airstream tours if folks just want to come by for an Adult Beverage.

I'm still a U shooter, so it would be a goal to actually get, you know, classified by the end of the year lol.

But yeah, I see a fair bit of positive AAR about Mr. Proctor's classes, and the timing works for us.

Hey Rich,

Thanks for considering us! I hope we get to train together at some point.

In the mean time, you will not be sorry training with Frank. I've taken a couple of classes from him. He is a stellar instructor, and beyond even that, he is great at diagnostics. Which I think is important. It is really important to know how to transfer information, but it is also real important to be able to troubleshoot when the information isn't getting acted upon.

Good luck, and have fun. It'll be groovy.

Jones

RJ
07-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Hey Rich,

Thanks for considering us! I hope we get to train together at some point.

In the mean time, you will not be sorry training with Frank. I've taken a couple of classes from him. He is a stellar instructor, and beyond even that, he is great at diagnostics. Which I think is important. It is really important to know how to transfer information, but it is also real important to be able to troubleshoot when the information isn't getting acted upon.

Good luck, and have fun. It'll be groovy.

Jones

You bet.

As it happens I did take the course with Frank.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24933-AAR-Frank-Proctor-1-Day-Performance-Pistol-Cresson-TX-21-Apr-2017

In June, I took Tom Givens Two-Day Combative Pistol Class in Everett WA:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?26066-AAR-Tom-Givens-2-Day-Combative-Pistol-Everett-WA-June-2017

Of the two, Tom's class was a much better match for my situation.