PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 650 - 38 special cases not fitting in shell plate

-ad-
10-17-2016, 03:40 PM
I've got a problem where I have around 1 in 20 new Winchester unprimed brass where it won't load into the Shell plate correctly on the first stage.

I've pulled the shell plate out of the press, cleaned it, and then attempted to put the problem brass into each of the 5 case holders manually whilst the plate is in my hand, but they still won't go in. With some, I can get them to go in if I rotate the case to a spot where it's happy, but still very tight - with others I just can't get them to go in at all.

It seems as though the plate is just a little too tight for the brass.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this? Is there something I'm missing? Or should I just throw out the brass that doesn't fit, and continue?

Welder
10-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Does other .38 Spl brass work OK? I've had problems caused by brass and by a faulty shellplate.

I had some Remington 9mm brass at one time that wouldn't function in my shellplate, and a close look at the rims showed they were deformed with a thick spot in them.

I also had a .32 Auto shellplate that either would only work with American, or only work with European brass (can't remember which now). Called Dillon about it and ended up sending it back with samples of the different brass so they could see for themselves. They replaced it with another shellplate that works fine.

-ad-
10-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Hi TBone,

That's not a bad idea. I've had the 'odd' one occur with other brass (maybe one in a hundred), but not as much as with the Winchester brass I have now. I might measure the shell plate with calipers and get back to you here on the forum as to the size, or find someone else to compare with. If they're out or different I'll contact Dillon.

Thanks!