PDA

View Full Version : Knife for a kid

jc000
10-17-2016, 08:38 AM
My oldest son is 9 and I'd like to get him his first knife. I imagine he'll be using it as boys have used pocket knives since pocket knives have been around. He's reasonably conscientious and seems to be handling food-related knife chores (f.ex. veg prep for soup) quite safely. He will not be using it for hunting or skinning.

I'm considering an Izula / Candiru or Mini-Griptillian. I can get a good price on the BM so cost is pretty much a wash. Without having any kind of formal knife craft instruction, I don't know if it makes more sense to start a boy on a fixed or folding blade. I've owned knives for many years and I know how I would use them, but would appreciate some expert advice on what direction makes the most sense.

VolGrad
10-17-2016, 08:47 AM
I have read many times folks say fixed blades are better first knives from a safety standpoint because they eliminate accidents opening and most importantly closing them. I am not completely sold on that argument but it does make sense.

I bought my daughter a Opinel for her first knife. It has a sharp edge but the tip is rounded so it's not pointy. It had a horse themed pic engraved on it. She still loves it and she's 12 now. I think she was around 8 or 9 when I bought it for her. For a boy that's more likely to actually use it the Opinel with the round tip might not accomplish the mission.

I know Mora has a fixed blade with a really good guard that is designed for kids. You might want to look at those.

ESEE Izula or II or Candiru are great choices if you don't do with a "kid" knife. The mini-Grip is also a great choice if you go folder.

VolGrad
10-17-2016, 08:48 AM
I forgot - there are tons of great SAKs too. I would recommend a Cadet or Farmer to start off. I might actually recommend one of those before the mini-Grip. As a kid I'd have probably liked the SAK better because it has more gadgets. I have a bunch of Alox Cadets in different colors. Love them. I always have one in my pocket regardless of what else I'm carrying.

Lost River
10-17-2016, 09:53 AM
I started my oldest daughter out on a Mora.

Super sharp from the factory. We started with a combined lesson of fire starting in bad weather, and proper knife usage. I had her make "feather sticks", cutting away the wet wood, getting to the dry wood underneath. She made enough tinder to get the fire going properly. A good part of the lesson was cutting AWAY from the body, as well as doing proper prep in fire starting, before you ever try to light the fire.

The reward was hot cocoa, heated by the fire she made herself.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/kimmberfiresticks_zpsf6df8cd2.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/kimmberfiresticks_zpsf6df8cd2.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/kimberFeatherStick_zpsfe5ef251.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/kimberFeatherStick_zpsfe5ef251.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/KimberCocoa_zps554bdf97.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/KimberCocoa_zps554bdf97.jpg.html)

backtrail540
10-17-2016, 09:56 AM
I agree with Volgrad above, the opinel scout

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=N07%20Scout%20Series&k=N07%20Scout&brand=91&series=3327

Mora safe for a fixed blade

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/FT12244/morakniv-mora-of-sweden-safe-blunt-tip-carbon-steel-blade-green-polymer-handle

Or one of the sak options would be where i started. This with the caveat that i don't have kids so it's all in theory to me. Also i believe forum member blues is/was a mod at a big knife forum and probably could provide valuable insight from reading similar threads many times over. My first blade was a sak and it did most of what i needed as a boy.

Lost River
10-17-2016, 10:00 AM
A couple years later she was using Moras to help field dress her first deer:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/7434E63F-5161-41F8-A6D8-A203B255098E_zpsm5xj0qut.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/7434E63F-5161-41F8-A6D8-A203B255098E_zpsm5xj0qut.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/DB538D57-DBD9-4A82-B5D1-0C9ACF2D8D1E_zpsm94lju2c.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/DB538D57-DBD9-4A82-B5D1-0C9ACF2D8D1E_zpsm94lju2c.jpg.html)

Plus lessons in shelter building, and building wind breaks.

Hanging out on the ridgetops with her "Papa":

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/AEB5886D-3D4A-4DF6-AD1B-4AFD46BEB8EC_zpsw03ejwtw.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/AEB5886D-3D4A-4DF6-AD1B-4AFD46BEB8EC_zpsw03ejwtw.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/95075558-586D-4A73-9751-36758E5C0F45_zpsb3brudrb.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/95075558-586D-4A73-9751-36758E5C0F45_zpsb3brudrb.jpg.html)

The hunting trips provide lots of skill building lesson opportunities.

blues
10-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Those photos say everything that needs be said. You are truly blessed to have such a beautiful, happy child. Hats off to you, sir. You've obviously done something right.

blues
10-17-2016, 10:24 AM
JC, I started carrying knives given to me in the late 50's by my late grandfather. They were all slipjoints but these days I would recommend either a small fixed blade or a knife with a simple lock (like the axis) or a lockback to allow familiarization with much less chance of an accident.

Shoot me a PM with your info and I'll be happy to pick something out from my collection of knives that might be good for a young man to get started with.

If you like the Izula, I'll send you one given to me as a gift by Jeff Randall of ESEE. Jeff's an old friend of mine and I'm sure he wouldn't mind my providing it to a youngster just getting his knife skills started. (It's been carried and used a little but I've kept the edge quite keen.)

jc000
10-17-2016, 10:44 AM
I bought my daughter a Opinel for her first knife. It has a sharp edge but the tip is rounded so it's not pointy. It had a horse themed pic engraved on it. She still loves it and she's 12 now. I think she was around 8 or 9 when I bought it for her. For a boy that's more likely to actually use it the Opinel with the round tip might not accomplish the mission.

My wife has an Opinel – I'm so turned off by the locking mechanism that I really wasn't considering the rounded tip version. Maybe I can find a way to see one in person.

I started my oldest daughter out on a Mora.

Lost River – every post of yours is a pleasure to read either through the general tone or the gorgeous photos you share. I will take your (and the previous) recommendations for the Mora seriously.

Shoot me a PM with your info and I'll be happy to pick something out from my collection of knives that might be good for a young man to get started with.

Wow, how amazingly generous! PM en route.

Thanks all for the great feedback.

blues
10-17-2016, 12:44 PM
JC, picked out a couple of knives for your son.

The Izula we already discussed and I think it will make a useful all around knife for him. Good in the woods and for general cutting tasks. Tough and pretty much unbreakable. Might be a fun project for you both to work on wrapping the grip.

The second knife is a small, single blade Case lockback which is no longer made. I picked it up some years ago from an online vendor that still had a few pieces of old stock left in his inventory. The steel is chrome vanadium and the covers synthetic yellow like some of the knives my grandfather would give me when I was a pup. He'll have to learn to keep it clean and oiled to keep it from pitting. The lock is pretty strong and should help avoid accidental closure but of course good training to learn not to rely on locks is still paramount with any knife.

Here's a quick phone image of the two knives. I'll get 'em out to the post office mid week and hopefully you'll have 'em by the weekend.

I hope he'll be pleased with these two American made knives.

https://s11.postimg.org/rez0mce3n/Full_Size_Render_Edited.jpg

Malamute
10-17-2016, 12:54 PM
Izula officially on want list, thanks!

Looks like a perfect fixed blade for Carhartt R side leg pocket.

Malamute
10-17-2016, 12:57 PM
A couple years later she was using Moras to help field dress her first deer:...

...The hunting trips provide lots of skill building lesson opportunities.

Hope you realize that the available pool of prospective husbands for your girls is going to be very small. All the average boys are going to seem pretty plain vanilla. :D

okie john
10-17-2016, 01:11 PM

The Izula we already discussed and I think it will make a useful all around knife for him. Good in the woods and for general cutting tasks. Tough and pretty much unbreakable. Might be a fun project for you both to work on wrapping the grip.

The second knife is a small, single blade Case lockback which is no longer made. I picked it up some years ago from an online vendor that still had a few pieces of old stock left in his inventory. The steel is chrome vanadium and the covers synthetic yellow like some of the knives my grandfather would give me when I was a pup. He'll have to learn to keep it clean and oiled to keep it from pitting. The lock is pretty strong and should help avoid accidental closure but of course good training to learn not to rely on locks is still paramount with any knife.

Here's a quick phone image of the two knives. I'll get 'em out to the post office mid week and hopefully you'll have 'em by the weekend.

I love this place.

Okie John

Lost River
10-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Lost River – every post of yours is a pleasure to read either through the general tone or the gorgeous photos you share. I will take your (and the previous) recommendations for the Mora seriously.

Thank you very much for the Kudos in regard to my daughter. :)

With that said, I am really not a "knife guy". I simply stick with good quality/practical tools that work. Obviously guys like BLUES would be a better source for knife knowledge.

BTW, huge Kudos to Blues for providing a kid with tools he can pass on to his own kids/grandkids some day! Super Cool!

Lost River
10-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Hope you realize that the available pool of prospective husbands for your girls is going to be very small. All the average boys are going to seem pretty plain vanilla. :D

:)

I simply want them to be self reliant, independent thinkers, of good moral character. If they have been taught how to think, instead of what to think, I hope the rest will fall into place, as it should. ;)

jc000
10-17-2016, 01:18 PM
I don't think I could ever convey in a thread post the appropriate gratitude for blues' incredible generosity. I will try with a simple "thank you". I had hoped that what I was able to get for my son would have some sort of sentimental component, and I don't think you could start much better than such a thoughtful expression of kindness like blues has shown here.

Pistol-forum.com is ridiculous. It's hard to believe the outstanding human spirit (for lack of a better term) on display here on a regular basis. I should really focus on being the best pistol-forum member I can be to live up to the high bar set by our staff, SMEs, and membership at large.

blues, one of my missions will be to somehow return your karmic positivity. If you are ever in the metro DC area, please let me know. Looking forward to sharing pics of the blades being put to good use!

jc000
10-17-2016, 01:22 PM
I love this place.

Okie John

I'll say. What an amazing community.

Cookie Monster
10-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Jc000 - I think you got this covered.

I am a little late here but for children it is hard to pass up a Mora. That is the plan for my boys - they are only one so it might be a while. I made a comment to a relative the other day, my boys will have knives before they have a cell phone.

blues
10-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts...that's more reward than you know.

This was pretty much a no-brainer for me. I've loved knives since I was a kid of six or seven, especially since the first ones I ever received were from my maternal grandfather who meant the world to me. (He died when I was about 9 1/2 in the early 60's. I still think of him nearly every day.)

I've been using and collecting knives on and off during much of my life and nothing comes close to being able to gift one every now and again to someone just starting out...or who can't afford to buy one. You can't take 'em with you and selling them just doesn't provide nearly the satisfaction.

So, the truth is I'm happy to be able to give a youngster a couple of pieces that will hopefully have some personal meaning for him as they do for me and teach him that sharing our good fortune with others is its own reward.

Thank you guys for making my day and you JC for giving me the opportunity to do so.

DamonL
10-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Very nice gesture blues.

I started out my kids with a leatherman tool with a blade.

Paul Sharp
10-17-2016, 04:37 PM
JC, picked out a couple of knives for your son....
I'll get 'em out to the post office mid week and hopefully you'll have 'em by the weekend.

Not to sound like a baby but it's been a rough day. Reading this made it better. Blues, that's pretty darn cool.

SeriousStudent
10-17-2016, 05:39 PM

Very classy, sir.

Duelist
10-17-2016, 07:46 PM

Excellent choices. I have the Wharncliffe version of that Case Copperlock. Really nice folder.

blues
10-20-2016, 04:37 PM
USPS is showing the package in Hyattsville, MD with an expected delivery on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

jc000
10-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Well this thread sure went into an interesting direction!

I normally wouldn't post stuff like this, but I know blues will get a kick out of it so I am happy to oblige. I wish I had the kind of inspiring setting that Lost River graciously shares with us, but we make the most out of our suburban backyard for now.

Knives came a day early (Friday) which was a nice surprise. I knew we wouldn't really get a chance to use them until Sunday, but I did share them with the boys. I had decided to present the Case to my youngest, 5, so they both would have a blade. (And yes, only under my direct supervision!!!) I made sure they both knew where the knives came from, the story behind them, and the ROE on how they will be using them. To say they were excited would be quite the understatement.

Youngest with the Case:

Sunday is usually grilling day for us (year round). I use a chimney starter for my coals and recruited both boys to help prep some kindling to get things going.

Youngest with the Case, again:

Oldest with the Izula:

Got a nice little pile of kindling out of them, but forgot to take a pic. It was great to delegate some fire duties, though!

I grill on a fire pit. One of these days I'm going to put together a nice Argentine or Uruguayan Grill set-up. But what I got still works for a pretty decent BBQ.

Don't mind my wife's veggie sausages in the foreground. :eek:

End result came out pretty tasty.

I'd like to once more thank blues for being a beautiful human being that has not only positively impacted my family, but reinforced that kindness and goodwill is alive and kicking and not going anywhere. I'd also like to thank pistol-forum.com for being a spot where you can brush up against people of blues' caliber on a regular basis. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics, thanks for participating.

blues
10-24-2016, 08:53 AM
JC, thanks so much for the images and the story. Really happy to hear that the boys are pleased with their new tools and that they will be learning the respect that any sharp cutting instrument requires.

I certainly appreciate the kind words as to my character but I could only hope to even come close on my best days. Sort of like the song goes..."Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

In any case, the pleasure is mine and having the opportunity to make a new friend here and contribute a little something to the boys' rites of passage is all the thanks I need.

Lost River
10-24-2016, 08:55 AM
The only downside to the above posts (JC and BLUES) is that you can only hit the LIKE button once! :)

SLG
10-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Blues,

Very squared away of you! You will need to visit the knife edc thread and start adding pics of the old timers. I'm a huge case fan (and opinal and everything else), and would love to see some of your favorites.

My wife knows my take on this. If you have one good knife and one good gun, that's all you need. Doesn't stop you from wanting more of them. I tell her it's the same with women, but she's not as understanding on that point!

blues
10-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Blues,

Very squared away of you! You will need to visit the knife edc thread and start adding pics of the old timers. I'm a huge case fan (and opinal and everything else), and would love to see some of your favorites.

My wife knows my take on this. If you have one good knife and one good gun, that's all you need. Doesn't stop you from wanting more of them. I tell her it's the same with women, but she's not as understanding on that point!

Thanks, brother.

My tastes and collection are all over the place...from custom to production, old time traditionals to modern one hand openers. They're all good and each has something that makes 'em special. I'll see what I can do about posting up some images from time to time.

Sayoc01
10-25-2016, 06:55 AM
Guys,
Blues will have tbl.taking pics.of his collection!! I don't know if any computor can handle "all"the pics.Blues is the only man i know that is friends with "all"the custom makers....they all know him.I'm not a maker....just an "old"friend...that could tell some stories about his generosity...but I won't!Great guy & friend!
Jim

LittleLebowski
10-25-2016, 07:46 AM

Thank you for this. You're now a Site Supporter, might have to wait a bit and/or log out and log back in.

blues
10-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Guys,
Blues will have tbl.taking pics.of his collection!! I don't know if any computor can handle "all"the pics.Blues is the only man i know that is friends with "all"the custom makers....they all know him.I'm not a maker....just an "old"friend...that could tell some stories about his generosity...but I won't!Great guy & friend!
Jim

Don't believe anything Jim says...he just has a crush on my wife. :p Seriously, Jim, thanks for the good words. (I've known Jim on and offline since the 90's and he's loyal to a fault and it's rare for him to come up with a bad word for anyone whether deserved or not. I'm proof.)

Thank you for this. You're now a Site Supporter, might have to wait a bit and/or log out and log back in.

Thanks, LL but I became a site supporter just before (as I recall) PFestivus. I had to have Tom re-do the "thin blue line" on my user name and I changed the "Site Supporter" appellation to "Guilty As Charged".

I very much appreciate the gesture, however. Very kind of you my friend.

LittleLebowski
10-25-2016, 09:30 AM
No worries, you're extended another year now at least :D

blues
10-25-2016, 09:38 AM
No worries, you're extended another year now at least :D

Thank you, sir. I'm honored. Truly.

Doc_Glock
10-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Great thread.

Just adding: My son had in Izula that he dang near batoned through a 12" log on a boy scout trip where there was limited wood. He managed to break the very tip, and rather than send it back, we just ground the back down slightly and it is still good to go. They are incredibly tough little knives.

RJ
10-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Great thread. This is the reason I support PF with actual folding money. :cool:

blues, you are good peeps.

On topic: So one year, I put together and taught "Knife Safety" for our local Scouting University weekend. I had to practice teach a few Dens in my Pack before I taught the class to the adults.

I recall the gathering activity I gave them was to "Put on a bandaid - with only one hand". It was a hoot to see them all try this. I had a couple moms help out. A 1:1 ratio with 6-8 nine year olds, all getting their first "actual" pocket knife, was a big help in avoiding any bloodletting.

"Safety Circle", two handed closing, all stuff we practiced with a lot of patience. We used bars of ivory soap and tried to get them to carve a shape. Pretty easy, and washing hands afterwards was a snap lol.

In my four years as Cubmaster, I never had any of them need the bandaid. :)

Good Times.

blues
11-04-2016, 04:58 PM
So, it's Friday...a slow mail day for us ordinarily. I trudge on down the 4/10 of a mile to the mailbox on the county road only to find...what's this?...a letter! What the...who could this be from?

And then a smile that makes my day...

https://s18.postimg.org/fbhkctw4p/kids5_Edited_1.jpg

https://s15.postimg.org/xau0ayfwb/kids1.jpg

Proof positive that all is not lost in the world!!! (And that good parenting still counts for something.)

I've gotten back much more than I have given. :cool:

LittleLebowski
11-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Thread of the year.

Totem Polar
11-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Thread of the year.

It's right up there, for sure. So excellent, in many ways.