PDA

View Full Version : GEN4 G17-Initial Impression

Kevin B.
11-20-2011, 07:49 PM
I am not new to Glocks. I shot Glocks exclusively for a few years and carried one in a couple of bad places. While I appreciated the reliability and the capacity, and despite the fact that I own several, I never really warmed up to the design.

When I was at my local gun shop, I took the opportunity, to handle the GEN4 G17. The GEN4 Glock 17 has alway struck me as having enormous potential and was, in fact the gun I planned to take delivery of after winning the Pistol-Forum.com Glock giveaway. Handling the G17 with the small grip circumference confirmed my suspicion that it would improve the ergonomics for me as compared to the GEN3 guns. Some horse-trading took place, one thing led to another and in addition to ordering one, I brought another one home.

Given the number of reports of reliability issues and Glock's effort to correct them, I was anxious to see how my new GEN4 G17 would run. The little envelope holding the casings in the box was stamped 11/10/11, so presumably the gun is the latest configuration from Glock to deal with the reliability issues.

I threw a set of Heinie Ledge sights I had lying around on the gun, pulled the X200 w/DG switch that was on my GEN3 G19 off and put it on the G17 and headed to the range. I fired 150 rounds (100 WWB; 50 Ranger 127-grain +P+) through the Glock. It is worth noting that I ran the gun as it came from the factory. I did not clean or lubricate it all.

Observations:

No reliability issues at all. The Ranger ammo all ejected positively about 10 feet to my 5:00. The WWB 115-grain FMJ all ejected between 3:00 and 5:00 with about five rounds hitting me in the right forearm. Performance with the WWB was certainly not the positive ejection I would hope for but it was acceptable.

This gun is accurate! When I checked my sights with a 5-round group at 7 yards, I stopped after firing after my third round because I only saw one impact. I was concerned I was missing the paper. Nope. There were three rounds all clustered tightly on top of one another. After firing five rounds, the group could be covered with a dime. Back at the 25-yard line, I had no trouble holding the 10-ring of a B-8 target and I went 15/17 into the A-zone of an IPSC target from the 50-yard line.

I ran some singles and pairs from the ready into the A-zone of an IPSC target at 7 yards. Performance was typical Glock performance for me. Singles from the ready ran in the .65-.70 range and splits hovered around .25, with a high of .30 and a low of .21 with the Ranger ammo. Not world class, but certainly acceptable.

I had a couple of shots where I perceived an inconsistent trigger pull. It would seem heavier for one shot and remarkably light for another. I had it happen at speed and while shooting for accuracy. At this point, I am attributing it to the fact I have been shooting 1911's almost exclusively for the last 6 months or so. Still, it is something I will be conscious of in upcoming range sessions.

The DG switch is incredibly difficult to operate on this gun. It was never an issue with the G19 and it fits perfectly but I am unable to get the necessary leverage to operate the switch without shifting the middle finger of my firing hand. No-go. I suspect it is related to the fact I had it configured for the smallest grip. Hopefully, the addition of a GFA corrects the issue.

I have a GFA and a Ghost 3.5 connector on order. The stock slide release is working well enough for now, though I will probably try a Vickers at some point. The magazine release is adequate but I would prefer one that is slightly more extended. Hopefully a GEN4 Vickers mag release is in the work.

It is too early to say that Glock has corrected the issue with the GEN4 9mm's but based on today's range session it appears they may have. Obviously, it still has a ways to go but it is off to a good start.

Serpico1985
11-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Kevin B,

Can you look at your ejector and advise the number on it? 336 or 30274? I have one test fired late September 2011 with the 336 and while exrtaction has been %100 for the first 500 rounds ejecton is inconsistent. I have had an increased number of brass to the forehead experiences with the 3.5 connector as well.

Thanks

Kevin B.
11-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Serpico- Can do. It will have to wait until after the Holiday though.

Cosmo M3
11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Good to hear

Never had an issue with my early 2010 production GEN4 G19 either

GJM
11-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I looked at a Gen 4 G19 in a store in AZ today. They said it arrived yesterday. Extremely heavy trigger, not the dot I am assuming, and had the old 336 ejector.

Serpico1985
11-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Kevin B

Ever get a chance to check out that ejector?

Kevin B.
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I have not but I did not forget about it. I am hoping to get to it this weekend.

Kevin B.
12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Kevin B,

Can you look at your ejector and advise the number on it? 336 or 30274?

Serpico1985
12-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info Kevin B. Keep us updated on your impressions.

Kevin B.
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I ran another 50 rounds of Federal 115-grain FMJ through it today. No issues. I did have one piece of brass bounce off the bill of my cap.

I put a Ghost 3.5 connector in the gun. The trigger feels better. I managed a 276 on the FBI Bullseye course. I shot it on an NRA B-8 v. the FBI's official target. From the 25 yard line, I had 4 in the X-ring. I continue to be surprised by how accurate this gun is.

mizer67
12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I had ~3K through my Gen 4 G17 prior to the new ejector install (Glock also installed a new extractor). During the time prior to the new ejector, I had 15 stovepipes and a large amount of erratic ejection at all points of the compass, and 3 of those were with a LWD extractor and WSD HRED installed.

In the three weeks I've had it back from the factory with the new parts, I haven't had any malfunctions or erratic ejection in 1K rounds fired. The cases take a much higher angle leaving the gun and no longer hit the ejection port (no brass marks) nor the left side of the slide. At least for me, the new ejector and extractor Glock installed seem to have cured my problems with this gun.

I'm going to wait at least another year before picking up another Gen 4, but this one is running well. It shoots flat and accurate, and now that it's running like any other Glock, I'm a happy camper.

Kevin B.
12-10-2011, 06:20 PM
The Ghost connector is gone. The gun ran fine last weekend but during some dry fire this week the trigger suddenly stopped resetting. After playing around with the Ghost connector, the original one went back in. The resetting issue disappeared. While I preferred the trigger pull with the Ghost connector, the pull with the stock connector is more than satisfactory.

I added a GFA. My initial impression is that it lives up to the hype. I hope to run some rounds through it this week and see what, if any, impact it has.