PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun - Magazine Loading Port?

lawnguy
10-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Can someone provide me with a list of 12g shotguns with an 18" barrel that have a magazine loading port that doesn't have that flap,making it somewhat difficult to load the shells really fast. Please forgive me if I'm not being clear on this. I just saw a shotgun the other day that had a magazine load port that was wide open,making it really easy to load the shells fast.

MPG
10-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Mossbergs. The shell lifter doesn't come down until the action is cycled. 500's for sure, believe the 590's are the same.

Xrslug
10-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Current production: (in addition to Mossberg noted above) Benelli Nova and Supernova. Browning BPS. Ithaca Model 37. For what I understand your intended purpose to be, the shell lifter on an 870, etc. is something that you get used to pretty quickly with practice. Not a big deal, I don't think, or at least not a deal breaker for me.
ETA: I see you spec'd an 18" barrel. The BPS is available with an 20" barrel, but not 18".

S Jenks
10-13-2016, 05:59 PM
590 is the same. The last two I purchased benefitted from a slight touch-up of fine sandpaper to the edges of the loading port to soften up the sharp edges.

LSP972
10-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Ithaca 37s, as well; which have recently been re-introduced of current new production. But you really do NOT want of those... Trust me on that.

I assume you're asking about current production guns. There are quite a few vintage/older pumps with that feature (most of which are JMB designs that shit where they eat, like the Ithaca 37), but you'll pay a king's ransom for a good condition example.

The 870 lifter can indeed pinch the hell out of your thumb... Until you figure out how to hold your mouth right. The Mossberg 500 and 590s are good shotguns... But the Remington 870 has dominated the police shotgun market for over 50 years.

Do the math...;)