PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on stage brief issue

theblacknight
11-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm gonna hold my opinion for a while.Hopefully this isn't an opinion issue,IDK, I'm not a certifed R.O.

1st, in IDPA, or USPSA, is it proper to give stage brief by:

1: Ready the stage description, then ask for any questions: like if something, maybe a confliction with the rulebook vs stage procedure,comes up.

or

2: The "RO" doing a small demo, while of course not airgunning(hiss,boo!)basically going "start here with briefcase, then do this, then shoot from here, but not here" etc etc. Which is then usually followed with people "can I do this?,can I do that? herp derp".

Joseph B.
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm gonna hold my opinion for a while.Hopefully this isn't an opinion issue,IDK, I'm not a certifed R.O.

1st, in IDPA, or USPSA, is it proper to give stage brief by:

1: Ready the stage description, then ask for any questions: like if something, maybe a confliction with the rulebook vs stage procedure,comes up.

or

2: The "RO" doing a small demo, while of course not airgunning(hiss,boo!)basically going "start here with briefcase, then do this, then shoot from here, but not here" etc etc. Which is then usually followed with people "can I do this?,can I do that? herp derp".

I think it really depends on the audience and the stage itself. Some stages are going to be too easy to figure out and or perform and you should not need to get into too much detail, give the brief and answer questions as needed.

However, if you’re running a squad of new or inexperienced shooters, and the stage is somewhat difficult (SO/RO traps, possible 180 violations, etc) than I believe it to be the SO/RO responsibility to give a good example of how to shoot the stage in a safe manner that is within the rules and ensures all shooter have an understanding if what you expect.

Also there is a big difference between local matches and major matches, although you should always try to keep the rules in line with what will be seen at major matches. Sometime you have to make exceptions in order to keep things safe and allow new shooters to have a good experience as well get a good feel on how to learn the sport itself.

Hope this helps.

theblacknight
11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
If it was only safety concerns, I would have no problem. BUT. . .

When you tell and show someone how to do the whole stage,they are shooting YOUR match now. They won't actually do any stage planning in their head. They just follow suit. Then when the crafty GM/Dis. Master runs the stage and does something unlike the rest of the clan, that is effecient,creative and unlike how the RO showed,faster, the group says" hey,that's not how we where showed, he cheated".

Joseph B.
11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
If it was only safety concerns, I would have no problem. BUT. . .

When you tell and show someone how to do the whole stage,they are shooting YOUR match now. They won't actually do any stage planning in their head. They just follow suit. Then when the crafty GM/Dis. Master runs the stage and does something unlike the rest of the clan, that is effecient,creative and unlike how the RO showed,faster, the group says" hey,that's not how we where showed, he cheated".

That is very true, I guess it would come down to wording (i.e. this is “a” way to do it, but not the only way). Every regional I have shot, the SO has given a stage description to all shooters as to the rules of the CoF and then left the stage up to the individual to plan and execute. However, when dealing with brand new shooters at the local level, sometimes you need to throw in those tid-bits (watch your muzzle here, watch out for this prop, don’t hug the barricade, etc).

ToddG
11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
When you tell and show someone how to do the whole stage,they are shooting YOUR match now.

We call that IDPA.

In fairness, I haven't been to a Nationals since '07 but I went to almost all of them from 2000 to 2007. Without doubt, the top guys had a simple rule they followed on stages: ask the SO exactly how he wanted it shot, then shoot it that way. It's so easy for a Sharpshooter-class SO with no formal training to ding people for "not being tactical" or otherwise doing something that isn't adequately spelled out in the rulebook. One SO will interpret even black letter rules like use of cover differently from the guy running the next bay over.

Lon
11-21-2011, 11:32 AM
We call that IDPA.
It's so easy for a Sharpshooter-class SO with no formal training to ding people for "not being tactical" or otherwise doing something that isn't adequately spelled out in the rulebook. One SO will interpret even black letter rules like use of cover differently from the guy running the next bay over.

And that's why I quit shooting IDPA. Frustrating beyond belief.

Lon
11-21-2011, 11:37 AM
For uspsa I will give advice to new shooters, but only if they want it.