PDA

View Full Version : Leatherman Skeletool Replacement

rob_s
10-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Not so much a "weapon" I suppose but it's "edged"...

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool daily. The one I have is kind of beat up and I was thinking of replacing it with the CX version (https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-830850-Skeletool-CX-Multitool/dp/B000XU43IC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476279849&sr=8-2&keywords=leatherman+cx). My question is, has anything else come on the market, from Leatherman or anyone else, that might be an alternative worth looking at? Any replacement would need to do everything the Skeletool does and/or do it better or offer more in a similar sized package. I use every single tool on the Skeletool at least weekly, so I need to retain at least that basic functionality.

ScotchMan
11-03-2016, 03:27 PM
You didn't get any replies, so I'll jump in and say that no, I haven't seen any and I am a big fan of the Skeletool on paper. Other Leatherman products like the Wingman/Sidekick/Rev are obviously similar but I haven't seen anything from other manufacturers. However, I have to say that what the Skeletool does can also be done with most multitools, including your standard SAKs, just maybe not as well. The pliers on a Leatherman are better than those on a SAK for example, and the blade is much easier to get at.

BillSWPA
11-03-2016, 10:34 PM
I recently ordered a basic Skeletool. I am impressed. If it included a screwdriver bit for glasses, it would be perfect.

This, along with the Micra and Wave, are my favorite multitools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScotchMan
12-15-2016, 04:02 PM
I recently ordered a basic Skeletool. I am impressed. If it included a screwdriver bit for glasses, it would be perfect.

This, along with the Micra and Wave, are my favorite multitools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a bit set which contains a couple dozen bits to replace the screwdriver.

Rich@CCC
12-15-2016, 04:47 PM
I have the Skeletool and a couple different Gerber multi tools. The Skeletool is carried the majority of the time due to it's slimmer profile and relative light weight.

That said, I think I'd pick up one of Leatherman's MUT tools if I needed to replace my Skeletool.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tool-Black-Molle-Sheath/dp/B019EN7UYC

It's similar in style but more versatile. It is 4 times the price of the Skeletool and probably a good bit heavier but it looks to be a great package none the less.

rob_s
12-15-2016, 05:17 PM
I have the Skeletool and a couple different Gerber multi tools. The Skeletool is carried the majority of the time due to it's slimmer profile and relative light weight.

That said, I think I'd pick up one of Leatherman's MUT tools if I needed to replace my Skeletool.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tool-Black-Molle-Sheath/dp/B019EN7UYC

It's similar in style but more versatile. It is 4 times the price of the Skeletool and probably a good bit heavier but it looks to be a great package none the less.

I actually have a MUT somewhere. Back in my LARPing days I kept it on my chest rig/armor.

It's a great tool, but it would be too big for office carry.

i've been considering going old-school with a Buck knife in a leather sheath on my belt for weekends, maybe I'll rethink that plan and go with a leatherman in there instead.