PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a spotting scope

SteveB
10-07-2016, 08:58 AM
I have an ancient Leupold 20-60X bargain-line spotter, which is mostly for range use, so weight is not a huge issue. My old scope is lacking in brightness, clarity and ease of adjustment. I don't want to pay $3K for a new one. Any thoughts? Any experience with this one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018074330/vortex-optics-razor-hd-spotting-scope-27-60x-85mm-wide-angle-armored-green

Luke
10-07-2016, 09:08 AM
I'm sure the vortex is awesome. I'd also ask this question on snipershide.

DamonL
10-07-2016, 09:36 AM
I don't know anything about that particular scope. I did read a lot on these sites to learn more about binoculars and scopes.

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=286&order=desc

http://www.bestspottingscopereviews.com/

CS Tactical
10-07-2016, 11:13 AM
I have an ancient Leupold 20-60X bargain-line spotter, which is mostly for range use, so weight is not a huge issue. My old scope is lacking in brightness, clarity and ease of adjustment. I don't want to pay $3K for a new one. Any thoughts? Any experience with this one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018074330/vortex-optics-razor-hd-spotting-scope-27-60x-85mm-wide-angle-armored-green

That is a decent spotting scope, PM me the price they were selling it to you for and I'll try and beat it since we kinda sell optics as well :cool:

SecondsCount
10-07-2016, 11:25 AM
I have the Vortex Diamondback that is not nearly as nice as the Razor but I am happy with it. Longest I have tried to spot is 1030 yards and I could see 223 hits on white painted steel at that range.

Get yourself a good tripod if you don't have one already. Heavy winds tend to vibrate the lighter weight tripods.

Rack
10-08-2016, 12:08 AM
Is a straight or angled spotting scope better?

SteveB
10-08-2016, 07:14 AM
Is a straight or angled spotting scope better?

Angled is good if multiple people of different heights are looking through it or you're looking up into trees (birding). Straight scopes are easier to look down (glassing for game from high ground), glassing from a vehicle, or from prone.

SLG
10-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Steve,

As with most glass, I really prefer the NF spotter. Not sure what they go for today, but I thought they were about 1,000 less than the number you want to avoid. I have the straight eyepiece and it is pretty awesome. My Leupold is relegated to rough duty use now.

Matt C.
10-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Kowa. I've had an 82mm and have a 66mm and found no fault with either. Depending on your needs, the 25x extended eye piece is very user friendly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rack
10-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Angled is good if multiple people of different heights are looking through it or you're looking up into trees (birding). Straight scopes are easier to look down (glassing for game from high ground), glassing from a vehicle, or from prone.

Thanks. Those are a couple of scenarios I had not thought of.

Surf
10-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I have a GR Leupold for work and field use and a Brunton Epoch (out of production) for more static general purpose. The Leupold has done everything I asked of it, take abuse and while not the best, very workable glass. The Brunton has amazing glass, brightness and clarity and just like a standard scope, you can definitely "see" the difference. The Brunton also adapts to my Nikon D90.

Mine are both straight models. In the field I prefer a straight version. There are some instances where the angle is better. Just depends on what you do more.

SteveB
10-25-2016, 08:27 AM
Ended up with the Vortex Razor HD 27-60X85, straight scope. It's a huge upgrade over my old spotter. It was a little outside my price range, but Richard at CS Tactical stepped on the price for me, so I got a great deal along with excellent customer service and quick shipping.

CS Tactical
10-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Ended up with the Vortex Razor HD 27-60X85, straight scope. It's a huge upgrade over my old spotter. It was a little outside my price range, but Richard at CS Tactical stepped on the price for me, so I got a great deal along with excellent customer service and quick shipping.

I'm glad you like it Steve, let me know if we can be of service in the future!