PDA

View Full Version : Surplus ammo, different kind

YVK
11-19-2011, 01:16 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/445248/surplus-ammunition-45-acp-230-grain-m1911-ball-full-metal-jacket-sealed-can-of-600-12-boxes-of-50-evansville-ordnance-chrysler-production

I am tempted to check how 65+ year old ammo works...

Joe in PNG
11-19-2011, 05:00 PM
I once foolishly ran a box of WWII milsurp 7.62x25 through a CZ-52. A whole lot of (CLICK*loooooongpaaaause*BANG) or, more often, (CLICK....).

fuse
11-19-2011, 05:28 PM
I wonder what mildly corrosive means

YVK
11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I wonder what mildly corrosive means

I bet it means "as corrosive as anything else, hopefully you get a message to clean your gun after".

UpDok
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
The WWII ammo is probably a lot better for collectors to own and admire than it is to actually shoot, unless it's all you have.

If you shoot corrosive ammo though your pistol remember to take the barrel off the pistol and wash it out with hot water to remove the salts. Then dry it and clean it normally and oil it.

If you are really iching to shoot steel cased ammo, Wolf or Tula brand mported steel cased ammo would make a better choice. At least the new Ruskie stuff is non-corrosive.

Tamara
11-20-2011, 09:40 AM
I've shot probably somewhere between 100 and 200 rounds of 1937-vintage 8x56R through my Steyr-Mannlicher (and I've got hundreds more set back.) For a long time, it was your only choice for ammo in that caliber. I don't recollect any noticeable problems with duds or hangfires, but then smokeless ammo will keep a long time if it hasn't been exposed to extremes of temperature or moisture.

Now, I also remember that Turkish surplus 8x57JS that was a glut on the market about ten years ago. It was the cheapest centerfire ammo, rifle or pistol, you could get; cheaper than premium rimfire. So cheap that I knew people who ran out and bought Mausers just to have something to run it through. The Turks must have stored that stuff underwater... :(