PDA

View Full Version : We All Have Our SCARs - Part 1

Sensei
10-05-2016, 09:51 PM
I’ve long been a fan of the SCAR platform and feel that the SCAR 17S is on of the better .308 battle rifle platforms out there. When it comes to the SCAR 16S, I’ve often found myself feeling that the juice was not worth the squeeze over a much less expensive, high quality AR - unless we are talking SBRs. So, without further ado, here is my concept SCAR 16S CQC that I’ve built out over the past year:

The rifle is equipped with a factory 10” barrel and sports an overall maximum length of 31.5” with the stock full extended. The minimum length is just 21” inches with the stock folded. This minimum length is THE reason why I like this rifle in this configuration; I’m simply not aware of another non-bullpup 5.56 mm platform that can get this small and stay ultra-reliable across a range of ammo shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed. Perhaps the CZ Bren and Sig MCX can give it a run for its money, but more time is needed to see if the MCX will meet the reliability criteria, IMHO.

Now for the details:

One of the major SCAR deficiencies is the lack of factory quick release sling mounts. This was solved with the Kinetic Development Group (KDG) rear QD point and a GEAR Sector QD mount placed on the side rail just forward of the SF pressure switch. KDG does make an ambi front SCAR QD mount, but this does not leave much room if you plan on using an ATPAIL-C laser aiming module.

Lighting: I’m using a Surefire Mini Scout M300 controlled by a Surefire dual pressure switch that is also linked to the ATPAIL-C. For those of you looking for a similar FDE Scout light, forget it. Surefire stopped making them last year and I found the last one ever made - and paid out my ass for it. The light is mounted on a side rail using a Gear Sector Mini Mount which is another nice piece of kit.

IR Illumination: This is my only ATPAIL-C. I like it for its very low profile on the top rail and it is robust construction. However, it gives up a lot to the DBAL-A3 in terms of IR illumination brightness and the lack of a green visible laser option (my dog’s favorite toy).

Optics are the Aimpoint Micro with Tango Down cover and Larue mount. I have other mounts from Bobro and ADM that I prefer just a bit, but Larue is what I had on hand for this build and it does just fine.

The muzzle device is a SF Warcomp. As mentioned in the Knights thread, I’ve had zero accuracy issues on my SBRs, and it seems to do a very good job keeping muzzle rise to a minimum.

A word about mags. I’m normally a PMAG guy, but I’ve been running FDE Lancers in this almost exclusively. By now, most people know that Gen2 PMAGs need the “SCAR Modification” in order to keep from damaging the weapon’s bolt carrier. I simply don’t have the time or inclination to go back a modify a hundred or so PMAGs, so I figured that I’d give the Lancers a try. They require no modification and run great.

In terms of performance, I’ve put about 1,000 rounds though this gun. I recall 1 failure to feed while playing with the gas settings between normal and adverse. Outside of that 1 failure, it has run fine with my usual M193, M855, RA556B, and TAP SBR. That includes about 100 rounds fired with a SF 300 SPS suppressor and 200 rounds with a SOCOM 556 RC-2.

As for the downside, this is another costly rifle. SCAR 16S prices seem to fluctuate between $2200 and 2500 and I think we are in an upswing as FN tends to send them out in big batches followed by long dry spells. In addition, the 10” factory barrel will set you back $1K (I sold a kidney). There is the option of sending your barrel off to a Smith for a cut, and I’ll discuss that option in another SCAR threat in a few days.

Anyway, this is my build. I like it and it seems to work.

HCM
10-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Hmmm... you said you sold "A" kidney, but not neccisatily YOUR kidney ;-)

Seriously - very nice. I love my 17S.

SeriousStudent
10-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Hmmm... you said you sold "A" kidney, but not neccisatily YOUR kidney ;-)

He has a special set of skills. :cool:

I understood that the SCAR 17 was pretty tough on optics, except for robust ones. Is the 16S more forgiving? I run Aimpoint Micro's for the most part, but was contemplating something like your build with a low-power variable.

Interesting thread.

ST911
10-05-2016, 10:53 PM
I put a good amount of ammo and effort into a SCAR 16, auto, 14", occasionally suppressed. It was as accurate as I can be, and reliable with any ammo or mags I used. I have no complaints, other than it never seemed to "fit" me quite right. Some of that is surely familiarity that would develop. Still, I think it's an odd, big-feeling gun. And a work in progress.

Jay Cunningham
10-06-2016, 04:31 AM
I'd love me a SCAR 17... I need to plant another money tree in the backyard.

Matt O
10-06-2016, 05:29 AM
I'd love me a SCAR 17... I need to plant another money tree in the backyard.

Actually you'd probably need two money trees. One to buy it and one to keep it fed.

Kidding aside, I would love to have one myself.

LittleLebowski
10-06-2016, 07:29 AM
I need to hang out with Sensei some time.

45dotACP
10-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Nice rifle Sensei!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

voodoo_man
10-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Used a scar 16s extensively for a few years..
Something like 40k rounds or so through it before I got rid of it and went back to an AR platform.

Just too many issues that need fixing .

Sensei
10-06-2016, 07:56 AM
He has a special set of skills. :cool:

I understood that the SCAR 17 was pretty tough on optics, except for robust ones. Is the 16S more forgiving? I run Aimpoint Micro's for the most part, but was contemplating something like your build with a low-power variable.

Interesting thread.

I too generally run T1/2 micros. However, my next review will include a VCOG on a SCAR 16S. It has 3,800ish rounds in that configuration with no issues. I've also seen 16s run with ACOGs, Elcans, and Nightforce 1-4NXS and no rumors of optics failures. My guess is that sticking to a 1-4X from Nightforce, Trijicon, or a comparable company will serve you well.

Sensei
10-06-2016, 07:59 AM
I need to hang out with Sensei some time.

Please do. I need more kidneys. ;)

voodoo_man
10-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Could you elaborate on what those issues are? Thanks!

All issues were outlined in initial testing and FN failed/refused to fix them.

Reciprocating charging handle? No thanks

The gun has slightly tighter tolerances than an AR and won't run everything you put in it, fore example I had a lot of issues with tula and some PMC bronze.

Piston design was proprietary in that it sucked ass to take apart and clean.

Buttstock is a joke and breaks easily doesn't stay folded/closed.

Slight difference in m4 to scar controls so there needed a relearning period.

OEM sights aren't great.

Short OEM front rail sucks.

Guide rods show excessive wear even under normal conditions.

Triggers were shit for both.

Heavies broke optics, mags had issues before aftermarket mags.

After my time with one I decided it had nothing to offer over an m4 for the price tag.

Default.mp3
10-06-2016, 09:19 AM
The rifle is equipped with a factory 10” barrel and sports an overall maximum length of 31.5” with the stock full extended. The minimum length is just 21” inches with the stock folded. This minimum length is THE reason why I like this rifle in this configuration; I’m simply not aware of another non-bullpup 5.56 mm platform that can get this small and stay ultra-reliable across a range of ammo shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed. Perhaps the CZ Bren and Sig MCX can give it a run for its money, but more time is needed to see if the MCX will meet the reliability criteria, IMHO.B&T APC556. SIG 553? H&K G36C! Robinson Arms XCR? AK74U? H&K HK53? Beretta ARX 100.

I heard awhile back that there would be a civilian release of the FNAC, who knows if it'll ever happen. For now, I'm just going to wait for the BREN 806/BREN 2, as the CZ is simply so much cheaper, and a foldable carbine is a tiny niche in my collection. I am surprised you haven't replaced those clunky 1913 rails for something slimmer, like the PMM M-LOK rail panels.

JohnO
10-06-2016, 10:14 AM
I really like my SCAR 17 but of course it is the more accurate version, the black one. Black SCARs matter.

Sensei
10-06-2016, 12:34 PM
double tap

Sensei
10-06-2016, 12:40 PM
I have a Swiss 553 but it does not play nice with suppressors. I don't believe that the B&T APC 556 is available, and it is certainly nowhere near as vetted as the SCAR. The XCR is a piece of crap (I have one) and good luck getting manufacturer support. The Beretta ARX100's 10" barrels just came on line this year and are not vetted. The HK G36 platform has its own set of issues with heat aside from availability in the US.

As for the others, I'll have take you word that they are viable alternatives suppressed.

When it comes to aftermarket rails, patience young Grasshopper. Parts II and III are around the corner...;)

Default.mp3
10-06-2016, 12:48 PM
I have a Swiss 553 but it does not play nice with suppressors. I don't believe that the B&T APC 556 is available, and it is certainly nowhere near as vetted as the SCAR. The XCR is a piece of crap (I have one) and good luck getting manufacturer support. The Beretta ARX100's 10" barrels just came on line this year and are not vetted. The HK G36 platform has its own set of issues with heat aside from availability in the US.

As for the others, I'll have take you word that they are viable alternatives suppressed.I was just throwing out random rifles with folding stocks with at least some semblance of reliability (notice how I didn't put the ACR in the list?). I had thought that B&T had a can designed for the 553, though, so I'm surprised to hear it doesn't do well with your cans.

Which version of the XCR do you have? The new ones look interesting, emphasis on the look. I do find it fascinating how Robinson Arms has clung on to putting out that single-ish product, yet I've almost never heard it being mentioned anywhere.

And, ultimately, the SCAR platform will probably remain one of the most tested firearms in history, given its raison d'être.

Sensei
10-06-2016, 01:41 PM
I was just throwing out random rifles with folding stocks with at least some semblance of reliability (notice how I didn't put the ACR in the list?). I had thought that B&T had a can designed for the 553, though, so I'm surprised to hear it doesn't do well with your cans.

Which version of the XCR do you have? The new ones look interesting, emphasis on the look. I do find it fascinating how Robinson Arms has clung on to putting out that single-ish product, yet I've almost never heard it being mentioned anywhere.

And, ultimately, the SCAR platform will probably remain one of the most tested firearms in history, given its raison d'être.

Part of the issue with the Sig 553 is barrel length. Many suppressor manufacturers warranty their cans down to 10 inches. I run Surefire, Knights, and SiCo Omega and they are all limited to 10" in 556 (actually Knights tests theirs down to 11.5" but stands behind their product if you are reasonable).

As for my XCR, I bought it in early 2008 as a gift to myself after a deployment to the sandbox. It did fine for 2,000 rounds or so, then I started having reliability issues with quality ammo. My firing pin went kaput at around 3,000 rounds. It took RA 6 months and a ton of calls to get a replacement. That lesson led to Sensei's Rule # 1: Don't buy firearms that have been out for less than 2 years. Better to let one's enemy be the beta tester...

YVK
10-06-2016, 08:08 PM
I've both 16 and 17 and haven't had any problems, other than crap getting caked on piston selector and it getting stuck for a bit. Did get an extended rail on 16, works OK. 16 proved reliable in conditions where AR failed under sub optimal maintenance. Nothing broke in the gun or on the gun so far. Really want 10 inch bbl for 16 to get a most compact non-bullpup setup but too lazy to deal with NFA.

Sensei
10-06-2016, 10:15 PM
I did have 1 breakage with a different SCAR 16S. My first SCAR that I purchased over 6 years ago arrived with broken stock latch. You might recall that this was an issue with how the early batches were shipped coupled with the plastic design of the latch. Apparently, the latch teeth would break during shipping if a sharp axial load was applied to the extended stock. At least, that is what FN told me when they replaced my first stock. I believe that Tango Down makes a metal latch that greatly reduces the likelihood of this problem.

Mike C
10-07-2016, 08:26 PM
If they ever come out with a factory one of these in 300 BLK, I'll sell everything plus a left nut for one of these and a 17. That would easily handle anything I'd ever want or need a rifle for. Good looking setup Sensei glad its working for you.

HCM
10-07-2016, 08:35 PM
If they ever come out with a factory one of these in 300 BLK, I'll sell everything plus a left nut for one of these and a 17. That would easily handle anything I'd ever want or need a rifle for. Good looking setup Sensei glad its working for you.

All you need is a .300 Blk barrel. I don't know what some one isn't making an aftermarket.

Sensei
10-07-2016, 08:37 PM

I've seen pictures of a functional prototype 6.8SPC. I would not be surprised if FN has a 300blk barrel assembly tucked away somewhere in Columbia, SC.

HCM
10-07-2016, 08:39 PM
I've seen pictures of a functional prototype 6.8SPC. I would not be surprised if FN has a 300blk barrel assembly tucked away somewhere in Columbia, SC.

I think SOCOM's decision to to drop the SCAR -L may have something to do with the lack of a .300 option.

Mike C
10-07-2016, 10:04 PM
I think SOCOM's decision to to drop the SCAR -L may have something to do with the lack of a .300 option.

I could completely believe that. As for the 300 blk barrel these guys have them from time to time, (https://hi-desertdog.com/fnh-scar-16s-17s/scar-barrels-conversion-kits/scar-16s-300-aac-blackout-barrel-11-5-sbr.html) but I would want a factory option. I guess I'll have to just run my bastardized Colts in 300 until a better mouse trap comes along. I'm not holding my breath though and I think I'll survive the streetz with what I got being it's the Indian and not the arrow and all.

Note to self. Make friends with someone at the factory, then talk/bribe or blackmail them into getting me 3. You know cause Doc says we need 3... and reasons.