PDA

View Full Version : .45 carry ammo

part-time shooter
11-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Can anyone link me to a recent .45 ammo comparison. I read DocGKR's comparison on the HST and the Talon which is very informative but I wanted to look at more than 2 choices. It's time to restock as I'm almost out of my carry ammo, which was the 230 g Talon/SXT from Winchester. It works well but the comparison to the HST made me think it might be time to reevaluate a new round.

Thanks in advance.

jetfire
11-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Since the Winchester Ranger and the Federal HST are basically the best bullets on the market in .45 ACP, why would you want something else?

KeeFus
11-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Since the Winchester Ranger and the Federal HST are basically the best bullets on the market in .45 ACP, why would you want something else?

Blasphemy!!! :p

Give the Speer Gold Dot a look. Very reliable and performs very well. We just switched to them from the old school federal Hydra-Shok's (Thank goodness!).

Odin Bravo One
11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
What differences are you wanting to see? What data or information is going to make one better than the other? I am genuinely curious, as I have never really bothered to research ammunition. I just shoot whatever brand name HP was on sale when it was time to cycle out the old stuff.

DocGKR
11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Any of the listed loads will work adequately: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887.

part-time shooter
11-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Thank you.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Since this forum was launched I rarely read anything on m4carbine.net and never read anything firearm related anywhere else. It's sort of the pubmed for defensive firearm use for me.

Thanks again Doc.

Don Gwinn
01-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Ancient Spirits of Evil, give life to this ancient and hoary internet thread! ARISE!

Just posting here to mark this for myself; had to register at m4 to be allowed to see the comparison.

I tried some Federal Hydra-Shoks in my XD.45 yesterday and was surprised at the malfunctions. Guess I'll try the Rangers or the HST next, unless something else intrigues me. I basically just do whatever Caleb does 'cause we're so similar.

jetfire
01-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Ancient Spirits of Evil, give life to this ancient and hoary internet thread! ARISE!

Just posting here to mark this for myself; had to register at m4 to be allowed to see the comparison.

I tried some Federal Hydra-Shoks in my XD.45 yesterday and was surprised at the malfunctions. Guess I'll try the Rangers or the HST next, unless something else intrigues me. I basically just do whatever Caleb does 'cause we're so similar.

You're like my long lost Viking twin from another mother.

Tamara
01-26-2014, 05:06 PM
I was running low on Golden Sabers and about to switch to HST myself when I stopped carrying the 1911, because I'm a joiner.

I still have a bunch of .45 HST on hand because, you know, just in case whatever.

Frank R
01-26-2014, 05:35 PM
I was running low on Golden Sabers and about to switch to HST myself when I stopped carrying the 1911, because I'm a joiner.

I still have a bunch of .45 HST on hand because, you know, just in case whatever.

Are you interested in selling those HST?

Tamara
01-26-2014, 05:58 PM

Probably not. I could start carrying a .45 again, after all. (Or maybe get serious about writing reviews again.)

It's only about half a case or so, anyway.

SJC3081
01-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I just clicked Doc link and those cock suckers took it down.

GJM
01-26-2014, 11:14 PM

Available here, reasonably priced:

http://www.mahsupplies.net/

Sent from my iPad

klewis
01-26-2014, 11:43 PM
I just clicked Doc link and those kittens took it down.

Updated link here at p-f:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo