PDA

View Full Version : “Crazy” guns you’ve seen in a class…

Joe in PNG
03-03-2011, 05:39 AM
The “Crazy stuff you’ve seen on the range” thread got me thinking. Way back when I took my CCW class, one of the other students had a rather, um, interesting choice of firearms- a Cobray M-11 semi.
Yeah, needless to say, he wound up having to use one of the in house S&W Model 10’s.

gtmtnbiker98
03-03-2011, 07:24 AM
FN 5.7.

ToddG
03-03-2011, 08:50 AM
1911's.

:cool:

Timbonez
03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I was watching a CCW class (waiting to use the range) and there was an individual using a desert eagle. I don't know which caliber, but it was a desert eagle nonetheless.

SecondsCount
03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
1911's.

Don't be such a hater! :cool:

SouthNarc
03-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Coonan 357 magnum auto-pistol. In one of my classes by a pseudo minuteman freak who I ended up asking to leave and giving him his money back.

fm2
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
One guy used an Astra 900? ; (the one with the cylindrical slide) at my shooting league.

beltjones
03-03-2011, 11:47 AM
At a CHL class the guy on the line next to me had a HiPoint. *vomit*. I had a nice grouping on my paper, with some extreme flyers on the right side of my target. The guy with the HiPoint was standing to my right, and his shots at 15 yards were so far left they were hitting my target.

At a pistol class a guy brought a Glock 21. I actually like Glock 21's, but this guy had tiny hands and he could barely reach the trigger. The instructor asked him why he bought the gun, and he said something about Glocks being the best, and about how anything other than .45 ACP is for women and babies and such. The instructor offered to let him take the class with a borrowed Glock 17, but the guy wouldn't hear of it. I honestly don't think he learned anything, because the whole time he was on the line he was messing with his grip so he could manipulate the trigger, and the whole time he was reloading between drills he was griping about how tough his gun was to shoot.

In other classes I've seen guns that just wouldn't run, and the net result was that it slowed the class down a lot, and the student with the bad gun didn't learn much except for maybe malfunction clearing. I mean, if you're working on shooting on the move, and you take two steps and then have to stop and clear your gun, are you really practicing anything? What's the point?

Ga Shooter
03-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I have seen at IDPA matches a Davis 32? and one of those mini .22s that is the size of your finger I can't remeber the name.

Savage Hands
03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
At a CHL class the guy on the line next to me had a HiPoint. *vomit*. I had a nice grouping on my paper, with some extreme flyers on the right side of my target. The guy with the HiPoint was standing to my right, and his shots at 15 yards were so far left they were hitting my target.

At a pistol class a guy brought a Glock 21. I actually like Glock 21's, but this guy had tiny hands and he could barely reach the trigger. The instructor asked him why he bought the gun, and he said something about Glocks being the best, and about how anything other than .45 ACP is for women and babies and such. The instructor offered to let him take the class with a borrowed Glock 17, but the guy wouldn't hear of it. I honestly don't think he learned anything, because the whole time he was on the line he was messing with his grip so he could manipulate the trigger, and the whole time he was reloading between drills he was griping about how tough his gun was to shoot.

In other classes I've seen guns that just wouldn't run, and the net result was that it slowed the class down a lot, and the student with the bad gun didn't learn much except for maybe malfunction clearing. I mean, if you're working on shooting on the move, and you take two steps and then have to stop and clear your gun, are you really practicing anything? What's the point?

I had a guy with a High-Point shoot the cable holding my target holder and they range counter was suspicious when I told them what happened trying to imply it was me. I asked them to review the video as I was reloading my magazine at the time. :mad:

Kyle Reese
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
SIG P250 in .40.

Unadulterated piece of crapploa. The gun would not run, no matter what lube/ammunition/rain dance combo was used. On Day 2 the student used a Glock 19 and a snubby revolver without incident.

David Armstrong
03-03-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't know that they qualify as "crazy" guns, but I sure find some of the things that show up at my CCW classes that make me cringe that they are being used. Pristine engraved original Colt SA Army, Lugers, and so on show up often with older women whose husband has died and that is the gun they left them. And last year I had two girls, sisters, who showed up with new in the box unfired mint Colt 1908's. The grandfather had bought a matched set and jsut put them in the safe years ago. When he found out the girls were going to get their CCWs he gave one to each of them.

JDM
03-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I was watching a CCW class (waiting to use the range) and there was an individual using a desert eagle. I don't know which caliber, but it was a desert eagle nonetheless.

In NM you can only carry the caliber listed on your permit and smaller. IE if I qualify with a .45 I can carry that, and a .40 or a 9mm or whatever. Thus it would make sense to qualify with the .50AE if held to a standard like NM's.

F-Trooper05
03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
In NM you can only carry the caliber listed on your permit and smaller. IE if I qualify with a .45 I can carry that, and a .40 or a 9mm or whatever. Thus it would make sense to qualify with the .50AE if held to a standard like NM's.

What a retarded rule.

Savage Hands
03-03-2011, 02:23 PM
What a retarded rule.

You think that's bad, in California you can carry 3 handguns listed by serial number :rolleyes:

jslaker
03-03-2011, 02:23 PM

How do they determine smaller/larger? A .357 magnum is "smaller" than a .40 S&W, but is generally going to be more difficult to shoot.

JodyH
03-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Revolvers and semiautomatics are different categories under the law and listed separately on your license. Larger/smaller is solely determined by bore diameter.
btw: you have me to thank for getting the "qualify with all calibers" rule knocked back to "largest caliber".
I spend a week in Santa Fe and numerous phone calls and emails with the head of the DPS concealed carry licensing division getting that stupid crap rule changed.

fuse
03-03-2011, 10:48 PM
1911's.

Too soon.

Joe in PNG
03-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Too soon.
I forget... is that the part where we shout "Burn the Heretic!", or simply point & screech?

JDM
03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
btw: you have me to thank for getting the "qualify with all calibers" rule knocked back to "largest caliber".
I spend a week in Santa Fe and numerous phone calls and emails with the head of the DPS concealed carry licensing division getting that stupid crap rule changed.

1,000 thanks.

Furthermore, who to I need to antagonize to get the law changed so I can have my gun in all restaurants that sell alcohol instead of just beer and wine establishments?