PDA

View Full Version : Have 'Liked' Post count as 'Participating'?

RJ
09-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Not sure if it would be possible with some type of software jiggery-pokery, but would ya'll consider adding a feature of having a 'liked' post count for having participated in a thread?

I use Tapatalk on the go a fair bit. One of the features I like of TT (vs., say, Safari on my iPad) is the 'participated' tab. I can get a good update on those threads I'm active in quickly by using that.

Now, in some threads, I don't actively comment, but I might 'like' a post, and would like it to be added to that 'participated' group, if possible. So, threads that I have either commented, or have a liked post in, would be in that feed, as it were...

Just thought I would throw it out for consideration as an idea...?

Rich

Malamute
09-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Why not just subscribe to the thread?

This.

Rich, theres a thread tools thing at the top of each page. It allows you to subscribe without posting.

RJ
09-28-2016, 09:51 PM
Why not just subscribe to the thread?

1) 'subscribe' is not a TT option (at least on the TT client I have), so I can't 'subscribe' to a thread when on the go.

2) 'Subscribed' is a separate header on TT from 'participated' and thus a separate 'feed'

3) To subscribe on Safari requires selecting a notification type and a 'add subscription' button (yes I'm lazy. :cool:)

4) and besides I don't WANT an instant, daily or weekly email update like a subscription ANYWAY. Last time I had email summaries of a BBS was with my Compuserve account. That is soo last century. :)

LOKNLOD
09-28-2016, 10:12 PM
What gen of Tapatalk are you using? On this latest version I have, it seems to subscribe me to any thread where i like a post. Turns out to be kind annoying with lots of notifications.

PearTree
09-28-2016, 11:03 PM
1) 'subscribe' is not a TT option (at least on the TT client I have), so I can't 'subscribe' to a thread when on the go.

2) 'Subscribed' is a separate header on TT from 'participated' and thus a separate 'feed'

3) To subscribe on Safari requires selecting a notification type and a 'add subscription' button (yes I'm lazy. :cool:)

4) and besides I don't WANT an instant, daily or weekly email update like a subscription ANYWAY. Last time I had email summaries of a BBS was with my Compuserve account. That is soo last century. :)
In reference to #1, At least on Android, it's the check mark at the top of the screen next to the magnifying glass to the right of the thread title.

JAD
09-28-2016, 11:40 PM
What gen of Tapatalk are you using? On this latest version I have, it seems to subscribe me to any thread where i like a post. Turns out to be kind annoying with lots of notifications.

I cant like this post because howdy might see it and think I like his shitty app, but I have noted the same with displeasure. I leave notifications on because I am a likewhore, and suffer from badge inflation.

voodoo_man
09-29-2016, 04:35 AM
Tapatalk is the devil.

That is all.

Look! I'm contributing!

JCS
09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
I almost exclusively use Tapatalk. I am on iPhone and this is what it looks like http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160929/6fadec47d5339102ba4912f8a3346824.png
The check mark at the top is where you can subscribe to a thread. But like others have said, anytime I like a post in a thread it gives me notifications that someone posted in that thread.

RJ
09-29-2016, 07:19 AM

6.1.3 (1496), iOS 10

In reference to #1, At least on Android, it's the check mark at the top of the screen next to the magnifying glass to the right of the thread title.

Ok. Got it. I see that but had not associated it with the 'subscribe'feature.

I'll try that option if I want to mark a post, and see if it will work to follow a bunch of threads separate from participated.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Mr_White
09-29-2016, 04:30 PM
The Check Mark and things like it - am I the only one who cannot fucking stand all the little symbols and icons that are used in software now, like my email, that are supposed to signify very important functions but are utterly meaningless to me if I even notice them in the first place? I want Words dammit!

RJ
09-29-2016, 04:59 PM
The Check Mark and things like it - am I the only one who cannot fucking stand all the little symbols and icons that are used in software now, like my email, that are supposed to signify very important functions but are utterly meaningless to me if I even notice them in the first place? I want Words dammit!

Subscribed. :cool:

Mr_White
09-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you need to talk to Howdy Dong.

I would talk to anyone named Howdy Dong, if I knew him.

Mr_White
09-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Actually, Howdy is a her.

That's even more awesome. But then I might not talk to her. My wife would get mad if I were talking to a woman named Howdy Dong. Don't ride with a mad woman.

RJ
10-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Depending upon how you've configured your account, it won't be "separate from participated" but rather a superset of participated. By default, you are subscribed to a thread when you post, by manually subscribing to threads you like you get them added to "subscribed" without having to add a post. If you dislike email notifications from subscribed threads, change your Default Thread Subscription Mode (https://pistol-forum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions) to Through my control panel only (this change doesn't effect existing subscriptions, but you can bulk change them here (https://pistol-forum.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all)). Now when you use the use the SUBSCRIBED view/tab in Tapatalk you see threads you've participated in and threads you've "liked" by subscribing (which is EXACTLY what you were asking for but uses a different set of widgets and settings than you'd prefer :))

Sorry, missed this somehow.

Thanks Tom. I will see if I can work something out using the existing solution.