PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Tommy Gun recovered during traffic stop

HCM
09-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Story is few months old but recovering stolen NFA items is uncommon. Made someone's day.

Stolen Tommy Gun recovered during traffic stop

YTLE, Texas - A piece of stolen property, an automatic Thompson sub machine gun, is in the process of being returned to its owner after it went missing 24 years ago.

Police in Lytle made the startling discovery during a routine traffic stop.

After running the serial number on the sub machine gun, officers made another curious discovery.

"This gun has been missing from its owner since 1992," said Dear.

Officers have been in contact with the owner who lives in Bexar County.

The owner has the legal paperwork to have the Thompson.

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/stolen-tommy-gun-recovered-during-traffic-stop

olstyn
09-27-2016, 06:49 PM
Somewhat surprising (but awesome) that they mention an intent to (eventually) get it back to its rightful owner rather than destroying it.

HCM
09-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Somewhat surprising (but awesome) that they mention an intent to (eventually) get it back to its rightful owner rather than destroying it.

This IS Texas.

RevolverRob
09-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Stolen guns are routinely returned to their rightful owners. Usually by local LE, but sometimes by the ATF. For all the bad mouthing most gun owners (myself included) do of the BATF(U). Those guys do take gun theft seriously and work hard to get guns back to their rightful owners. In fact, when I was slinging guns across glass for a living, my interactions with local BATF agents were always very positive. The auditors were jerks, but the special agents in charge of investigations were always polite, professional, and helpful. I only had to deal with them a couple of times but they took the reported issues seriously and closed cases.

So yea...awesome. NFA Thompson gets found and will make its way back to its rightful owner. Hopefully, it hasn't been too damaged in the intervening years!

HCM
09-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Stolen guns are routinely returned to their rightful owners. Usually by local LE, but sometimes by the ATF. For all the bad mouthing most gun owners (myself included) do of the BATF(U). Those guys do take gun theft seriously and work hard to get guns back to their rightful owners. In fact, when I was slinging guns across glass for a living, my interactions with local BATF agents were always very positive. The auditors were jerks, but the special agents in charge of investigations were always polite, professional, and helpful. I only had to deal with them a couple of times but they took the reported issues seriously and closed cases.

So yea...awesome. NFA Thompson gets found and will make its way back to its rightful owner. Hopefully, it hasn't been too damaged in the intervening years!

My professional interactions with BATFE Special Agents have all be positive as well.

Re Local PD's - in some places, particularly, NY, NJ, CA and MA they will make it as difficult as possible for you to get your stolen gun back.