PDA

View Full Version : Review: Dark Star Gear AIWB & JMCK "George" Holsters

blues
09-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Tom recently posted an auction (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22108-Dark-Star-Gear-Auction) to support P-F and offered up some of his current, (soft release, not final), versions of his AIWB holster. He mentioned in that thread that he also had some available for right handed Glock 17 / 19 owners who might be interested at the current time.

Because in the short time I've been on this site I've noticed many favorable comments on Tom's work, his support of the site and membership, and a reluctance to toot his own horn, I decided to order one of the available holsters to send some goodwill his way.

Let me preface the following by saying that I also wanted to compare the Dark Star Gear holster to my JMCK "George". I am very happy with the "George" holster and Tony's work is unquestionably top shelf... but as nothing in this world is perfect and the last custom kydex holster I purchased before Tony's dates back to the middle to late 90's, I figured I might as well see for myself what the cutting edge in kydex holsters offers these days. Plus, since I have a fixed loop and neoprene wedge on the "George" I figured to get this one with a clip and claw to see how the other half lives.

The DSG holster just came in today so obviously this is very early in the game and I cannot give a review as if I'd been living with the holster for months on end. That said, I have come away with some observations and comparisons.

First off, here's a side by side image of the DSG holster alongside the "George", both front and back. Bear in mind that the "George" is sized for Glock 19 while the DSG is sized for Glock 17. (My usage is for Glock 19 and 26.)

http://s9.postimg.org/iejppvx73/holster_5.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/qw06mfko5/holster_7.jpg

You'll notice in the first shot that if the belt loop and clip on each holster are aligned that there is very little difference in the drop of the holster as far as how far it extends down into the pants. The second image was not aligned in the same fashion.

The obvious differences that you'll see right away of course is that the DSG has both somewhat more coverage in the front as well as a full length guard in the rear, whereas the "George" has a mid length guard (at my request).

The guard on the DSG completely covers the slides on both the 19 and 26.

The other obvious difference is that the "George" utilizes a neoprene wedge whereas the DSG uses a "claw" to tackle the job of pivoting the gun's grip into the torso. Both do an effective job at this. The difference that I found was that if I wear the George without the wedge, my two Glocks each print more than I am comfortable with. With the DSG, when I fashioned a wedge and attached it with a rubber band, it printed slightly less but not nearly to the same extent as the difference with the JMCK holster. This of course makes sense since the "claw" is still at work. That said, I think that a pad would be a useful addition to the DSG holster.

Interestingly, however, while the neoprene wedge on the "George" is comfortable and both firm and pliant at the same time, I am more aware of the "George" in a sitting position when compared to the DSG holster. Aware is not the same as uncomfortable. I simply mean that I am more aware of the holster's presence.

In terms of fit and finish, I have no complaints with either holster, they are both very well done with smooth finished edges. There are more adjustment and fitment holes noticeable on the DSG but that is due to the various methods available for belt attachment.

The DSG has a slightly more audible or distinctive clicking sound when either gun is holstered but the feedback on the "George" is as positive if a bit more muted.

The "George" holds both the 19 and 26 very securely yet offers a very slick draw.

The DSG holster holds both firmly but there is a very slight amount of vertical play when the 19 is holstered due to the slightly different tolerances between the two guns. It is still retained very securely and it is not noticeable when wearing.

Neither gun will fall out of either holster when shaken upside down.

The draw on the DSG feels slighly less slick in comparison to the "George" (due to the way it positively locks the trigger guard), but it is in no way inferior in my view. (This may in part be due to its being new and my not having drawn from the holster nearly as many times.)

Both holsters afford a full master grip when drawing from a standing or seated position.

Here are some images (taken in the mirror) of the newly received DSG holster with Glock 19. For reference, I am 5'10" and about 175 lbs.

http://s18.postimg.org/tgxffb0yh/holster_1.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/b5u5qxsll/holster_3.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/v2eb90akn/holster_8.jpg

To wrap things up, I'd have to say that the DSG AIWB holster is excellent and pairs well with my JMCK "George". Where the "George's" fixed kydex belt loop is a bit tighter and a somewhat more secure fit, the DSG clip allows me to throw the holster on a bit more quickly and has a slightly different feel when seated. They are both very comfortable from my point of view. I like the fact that the claw allows me to use the DSG without a pad although I still think that one is worth attaching for that little extra stealth. (Comfort is fine without it.)

(For those interested, I have several images of the "George" and some impressions here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3597-JM-Custom-Kydex-AIWB-holster-review&p=490529&viewfull=1#post490529) and here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3597-JM-Custom-Kydex-AIWB-holster-review&p=484975&viewfull=1#post484975).

breakingtime91
09-23-2016, 03:56 PM
awesome review, glad that you are liking Tom's work. I have two JM holsters for my p2000, one with a solid loop and the other with a clip and like you said they compliment each other perfectly. I need to say this, we need to start a crowd found to get you some defoor sights or something to replace those glock sights! ;)

Nephrology
09-23-2016, 04:20 PM
awesome review, glad that you are liking Tom's work. I have two JM holsters for my p2000, one with a solid loop and the other with a clip and like you said they compliment each other perfectly. I need to say this, we need to start a crowd found to get you some defoor sights or something to replace those glock sights! ;)

I have an old pair of Hackathorns that I would gladly donate.

blues
09-23-2016, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the love, brother.

Hey, don't feel sorry for me. It's not that I can't afford different sights it's that I've been using them for so long, (27 and 20 years respectively), and I've never had a problem with them. I don't shoot from a rest, all my training and practice is essentially combat shooting.

When I did my LEOSA night quals back in July I probably could have used tritium sights on one course of fire when no flashlight was utilized but I still scored 100% with both guns. Plus, I hate the idea of having to replace the darn things every 10 years or so. (Though at my age I may not have to worry about too many of those. LOL!)

I'll take it under advisement, though. But maybe we should discuss it further in another thread. (I can imagine the replies I'd get to a "What sights should I buy?" thread. :rolleyes:)

breakingtime91
09-23-2016, 04:29 PM

Hey, don't feel sorry for me. It's not that I can't afford different sights it's that I've been using them for so long, (27 and 20 years respectively), and I've never had a problem with them. I don't shoot from a rest, all my training and practice is essentially combat shooting.

When I did my LEOSA night quals back in July I probably could have used tritium sights on one course of fire when no flashlight was utilized but I still scored 100% with both guns. Plus, I hate the idea of having to replace the darn things every 10 years or so. (Though at my age I may not have to worry about too many of those. LOL!)

I'll take it under advisement, though. But maybe we should discuss it further in another thread. (I can imagine the replies I'd get to a "What sights should I buy?" thread. :rolleyes:)

plenty of resources here. I know its sometimes hard to change but even for close distances a set of sights like the hackathrons can make a huge difference. Defoors are just classic black on black with a thin front and wide rear, complete old school :D

also I did not mean to imply you couldn't afford it. Sorry if that is how you took it. As a community here we all help each other out and try to pass things no longer in use along to guys that can try something new.

blues
09-23-2016, 04:40 PM
plenty of resources here. I know its sometimes hard to change but even for close distances a set of sights like the hackathrons can make a huge difference. Defoors are just classic black on black with a thin front and wide rear, complete old school :D

also I did not mean to imply you couldn't afford it. Sorry if that is how you took it. As a community here we all help each other out and try to pass things no longer in use along to guys that can try something new.

No, not for a second... I didn't take any offense whatsoever. In fact I'm honored. I merely meant that there are so many others more deserving of such generosity that I'd not have anyone think that the reasons holding me back were financial in nature. I'll take the camaraderie and good intentions all day long. In fact, once I get the newly ordered JRC holster for my 686+ I'll be putting my DeSantis up in the karma section for some worthy soul to put to use.

Nephrology
09-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Well, if you decide you do want to try them, my offer will still be standing (unless I give them away to someone else first).

blues
09-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Well, if you decide you do want to try them, my offer will still be standing (unless I give them away to someone else first).

Super generous of you, honestly. But I'd feel better (at this point in time) if you could donate them to someone who either can't afford them or who has been a part of this community for a longer period of time and whose contributions merit such generosity. It means a great deal to me nonetheless and I don't have to take receipt of them to have received the gift. Thank you.

Jared
09-23-2016, 05:19 PM
I have multiple holsters from both makers (only 1 is AIWB as I prefer strong side carry), and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either company. Good guys to work with when it comes to making sure you get a good holster that fits your needs. I'm certainly not done ordering from them.

I'll plug JRC holsters for leather too. Jim did a hell of a job on my first leather rig.

blues
09-23-2016, 06:58 PM
Just decided to raise the spring clip to the top row of holes and drop the holster a little deeper below the belt to see if I still retained sufficient grip clearance and whether it would enhance concealment.

Concealment was definitely enhanced. I can see less printing with each gun. The grip on the 19 is still adequate for a strong master grip.

The grip of the 26 is nice and tight to the torso but I am pretty much as deep as I can go and still consider the available grip adequate.

Sitting still presents no issues insofar as comfort or perceived pressure.

WobblyPossum
09-24-2016, 03:14 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts blues. You posted a detailed comparison that has a lot of good info. I look forward to any more updates as you get more time in with both holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHC
09-24-2016, 07:39 AM
Just decided to raise the spring clip to the top row of holes and drop the holster a little deeper below the belt to see if I still retained sufficient grip clearance and whether it would enhance concealment.

Concealment was definitely enhanced. I can see less printing with each gun. The grip on the 19 is still adequate for a strong master grip.

The grip of the 26 is nice and tight to the torso but I am pretty much as deep as I can go and still consider the available grip adequate.

Sitting still presents no issues insofar as comfort or perceived pressure.

That's how I set the most recent one; the top set of holes. I love it. I've never really gotten away with AIWB a G17 unless I was wearing something pretty bulky but with that DSG and set for the deeper carry, I've easily done it with more shirts. 19 more so of course. 26 is just silly.

GJM
09-24-2016, 07:50 AM
Remember the thread from a month or two back, when I discussed how I have multiple AIWB holsters for the same gun. JHC's post is a perfect example of why. Ride height effects speed vs concealability, as does the size of a foam wedge. Leather vs Kydex, also can vary retention vs speed. Also kydex split loops, vs soft loops vs a clip.

With the adjustability of the JM and Dark Star, you could conceivably make the same holster work, but you would be constantly taking it apart to reconfigure.

blues
09-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts blues. You posted a detailed comparison that has a lot of good info. I look forward to any more updates as you get more time in with both holsters.

Thanks and will do, Dan.

That's how I set the most recent one; the top set of holes. I love it. I've never really gotten away with AIWB a G17 unless I was wearing something pretty bulky but with that DSG and set for the deeper carry, I've easily done it with more shirts. 19 more so of course. 26 is just silly.

The 19, with the clip set in the top holes was surprisingly concealable and comfortable. I spent most of the night wondering what I was going to do with my 26. :p

Remember the thread from a month or two back, when I discussed how I have multiple AIWB holsters for the same gun. JHC's post is a perfect example of why. Ride height effects speed vs concealability, as does the size of a foam wedge. Leather vs Kydex, also can vary retention vs speed. Also kydex split loops, vs soft loops vs a clip.

With the adjustability of the JM and Dark Star, you could conceivably make the same holster work, but you would be constantly taking it apart to reconfigure.

Totally agree. The characteristics of each of the two holsters provide options without the need for constant fiddling.

JHC
09-24-2016, 10:17 AM
I have a previous "beta" design of the current DSG clip sized for the G19 but with a wide open mouth. I drilled another set of holes higher and moved the clip up. My strategy was to leveral the open mouth to see how AIWB the KKM comp went with the comp extending out the mouth. Not that great. The squarish steel shape down there gets kind of noxious with much sitting.

blues
09-24-2016, 10:24 AM
I have a previous "beta" design of the current DSG clip sized for the G19 but with a wide open mouth. I drilled another set of holes higher and moved the clip up. My strategy was to leveral the open mouth to see how AIWB the KKM comp went with the comp extending out the mouth. Not that great. The squarish steel shape down there gets kind of noxious with much sitting.

It's pretty amazing how much a small fraction of an inch can make in both comfort and concealment.

Speaking of which, I was really tempted to try out the "pull the dot" straps as I've not used them on a holster before but both Tony and Tom advised that they were less stealthy than other options. So, I guess it'll have to keep for a while.

NCmtnman
09-24-2016, 10:49 AM
So, quick consensus on the DSG as the OP put in the pictures: Is this what most of you guys consider a good fit for concealability? It looks like you would have to wear baggy clothing (as pictured) to conceal the pistol. Or for the OP, do you just have your belt on a more loose notch?

blues
09-24-2016, 11:01 AM
So, quick consensus on the DSG as the OP put in the pictures: Is this what most of you guys consider a good fit for concealability? It looks like you would have to wear baggy clothing (as pictured) to conceal the pistol. Or for the OP, do you just have your belt on a more loose notch?

Well, at 63 my 'muscle shirt' wearing days are behind me and here in "the country" I generally wear relatively loose fitting clothing as a rule. (Even before I started carrying AIWB again on a more regular basis.)

I can set my belt a bit snugger when I want the holster to hug more tightly, or on the third hole when I'm not particularly concerned one way or the other.

Honestly, around here or in town or the shops I've not yet had a raised eyebrow one way or the other. I don't think I'd get away wearing a form fitting shirt with the holster but I wouldn't get away with it these days without it either. ;)

NCmtnman
09-24-2016, 07:10 PM
I always go back to a few things: 1. Can I get away with it in a plane/airport without having to dress out of my norm? 2. Will my son use it as a ledge to stand on or pull up on and if so will it pull forward enough to readjust?

It's okay if you wear 'muscle shirts'. Just post them up in a different thread :rolleyes:

OnionsAndDragons
09-25-2016, 03:31 PM

In my experience there are two major body types when considering AIWB concealment and dress:

1) Chest is larger than belly. This type can wear a regular old tshirt. Maybe even a slightly fitted shirt as long as it isn't tapered in the waist area. They don't need too much drape to conceal with these types of holsters with a claw feature. A foam wedge can be added if one prefers clothes on the more fitted side to aid concealment.

2) Gut is more prominent than chest. These guys are going to want to roll with a bit baggier shirts and likely also a foam wedge. Finding the sweet spot for how the clothing drapes is even more important here, but is doable.

As I have gotten back towards being in shape again, I have definitely noticed that I can get away with wearing better fitting tshirts as concealment garments, and that a larger foam wedge is not a must-have anymore. Though it is often still nice.

blues
09-25-2016, 04:08 PM
I always go back to a few things: 1. Can I get away with it in a plane/airport without having to dress out of my norm? 2. Will my son use it as a ledge to stand on or pull up on and if so will it pull forward enough to readjust?

It's okay if you wear 'muscle shirts'. Just post them up in a different thread :rolleyes:

I've worn the holsters with regular old (not baggy) t-shirts and polos without anyone being the wiser. I haven't tried it at the airport since I no longer fly armed. I really think it comes down to positioning (and as OnionsAndDragons said, body type). Some clothing may require a bit of creativity.

blues
09-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Just a quick update to say that I'm really bonding with the DSG holster. I've been wearing it the past few days and since I set the clip to the high set of holes I'm pretty darn pleased with the combination of comfort and concealment with my G19 (especially). Grip is excellent, on and off effortless and it feels nice and secure on the belt.

Since the belts I wear are either steel or polymer lined 1.5" leather, there is just a small amount of movement at the belt / clip intersection but nothing that seems to effect positioning or draw. The holster remains in the position on the belt it was placed in. Only the cant is very slightly effected by the "wiggle room" available.

Sean O
09-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Blues,

I highly recommend trying a pad on the DSG claw holster. I have been carrying Tony's most recent claw design for a while now and love it. Just like you I find that it isn't all that necessary for good concealment but it does make a small difference. The pads hold up really well and I have used the same one for a year now, so it is formed well to me and makes bending over more comfortable then sans pad. I may contact Tony at some point and try a reduced sized pad to see how that rides, but I am happy so I haven't bothered yet.

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8216/29920608636_cf34355b05_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MzYWwG)

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8278/29328511763_aea7cb4f86_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LFEhKV)

I would highly recommend you put some velcro on the DSG and try your pad on it for a while, worst comes to worst you can take it back off.

blues
09-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Sean, much appreciated.

As mentioned, I did try my own Rube Goldberg setup made from a couple of heel portions of neoprene insoles I had laying around from years ago.
It did make a bit of a difference with concealment and that was with me only attaching them with a rubber band.

Tom wrote me over the weekend and said he will be doing some tests with pads / wedges he has designed or otherwise come up with and will send me some to test when available. I'm sure they'll be far superior to my own bastardized attempt.

I may follow your lead and try the wedge from my JMCK holster as well. Thanks for the tip. :cool:

Kyle Reese
10-29-2016, 12:01 PM
I too am very pleased with JMCK and DSG appendix offerings. Right now I am carrying my Glock 17 Gen 4 in the DSG, and think that both offerings are top tier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blues
02-10-2017, 02:30 PM
I too am very pleased with JMCK and DSG appendix offerings. Right now I am carrying my Glock 17 Gen 4 in the DSG, and think that both offerings are top tier.

Couldn't agree more...

Just a couple of updates. On the JMCK front, Tony is going to build me an AIWB holster for my new Gen 4 G17 equipped with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL based upon the design he and SLG have come up with. Though I don't (at this time) intend to EDC the G17 / light combo, I do want the option and this should be as good as it gets imho based upon my prior experience with Tony's work and my confidence that SLG's input will only make it that much better.

On the DSG front, Tom and I have been talking for a few months about the steel clip most of us are familiar with on Tom's holsters versus the PTD soft loops I've become enamored with since installing them on my JMCK "George". We discussed concealment and printing vs. comfort and stability amongst other things. One of the very few things I didn't like about the clip is that it would shift / rotate more than I like on my 1.5" belts since it can accommodate 1.75" belts as well.
(I imagine that down the road I might not like wear and tear on my trousers but thus far I haven't experienced that.)

Anyway, Tom was kind enough to gift me a G17 AIWB holster equipped with PTD loops and the comfort cut, (which removes some material from the dust cover), so that I'd have one holster set up in each manner and I could supply him with feedback regarding how they carried, printed etc.

Here's the new holster:

And here are some images taken while wearing the holster. (The belt in the one image is the new Master Mind Tactics EDC 2 which I purchased recently.)

I find that the fit, with the loops attached in the top mounting holes is virtually identical to the fit with the spring clip in the top holes located lower on the holster. For me, the middle set of holes allowed just a bit of roll out with my G19 and I am much happier having changed the position and can still obtain an excellent grip on the firearm.

I don't notice a huge difference with the comfort cut while seated but I can definitely tell that there is less holster material between my leg and pelvic crease. And so far, I really like the fit to the belt of the PTD loops. They seem to ride a little flatter than some others I've tried recently and the rubberized texture holds the holster nicely to the belt. That said, they do swivel somewhat so that the holster can move with you whether standing or sitting...and they don't seem to print any more than the clip. (I'll know more as the weather warms up and attire changes.)

As time goes on I'll be able to assess other differences, pro or con as I carry my G26, G19 and G17 in these two holsters along with my JMCK George.

A big thanks to Tom for both his patience and his generosity. I have tried to repay them both in my own way.

LesPaul
04-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Great write up and feedback here, Blues!

Would you say the Comfort Cut is worth getting? I'm leaning towards 'yes'.
As you mentioned, I'm eager to see what Tony has in store for us with his pad design he's been working on. Sounds like it might be close.

Are you still liking the soft loops over the metal clip? I was partial to the soft loops until i learned his clip works well with non-belt options as well. This is a great option for lazy weekend around-the-house carry. How difficult/tedious is it getting the clip on or off?

imp1295
04-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Speaking of which, I was really tempted to try out the "pull the dot" straps as I've not used them on a holster before but both Tony and Tom advised that they were less stealthy than other options. So, I guess it'll have to keep for a while.

If you are interested, "ironing" the pull the dot straps really helps them lay flat. What I did, was using some parchment paper and a low iron setting, I closed the pull the dot strap at the size I desired. Then, I ironed them as flat as possible. This really helped with the bottom side bulge you usually get with pull the dot straps. It also allowed me to have the convenience I need to remove the holster when I have to travel in and out of places I can't carry.

It also gives me a bit of the "give" that really helps me with comfort.

May not be as much of a concern for some.

blues
04-10-2017, 12:02 PM
If you are interested, "ironing" the pull the dot straps really helps them lay flat. What I did, was using some parchment paper and a low iron setting, I closed the pull the dot strap at the size I desired. Then, I ironed them as flat as possible. This really helped with the bottom side bulge you usually get with pull the dot straps. It also allowed me to have the convenience I need to remove the holster when I have to travel in and out of places I can't carry.

It also gives me a bit of the "give" that really helps me with comfort.

May not be as much of a concern for some.

Thanks, a lot has transpired since that post of mine you quoted. I now have PTD loops on most of my gear. :cool:

Appreciate the tip, I think I've seen mention of it hereabouts previously. May have been an earlier post of yours.

Duces Tecum
04-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Blues, my AIWB rides up such that the grip slides over the bottom of my ribs when seated, and the butt just pokes right out there. Could you write a few words on (a) whether you experienced that and if it bothered you (b) is there a reasonable workaround?

Judging from the pictures, it looks like the DSG can be arranged to sit lower on the belt and that might make a difference.

blues
04-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Blues, my AIWB rides up such that the grip slides over the bottom of my ribs when seated, and the butt just pokes right out there. Could you write a few words on (a) whether you experienced that and if it bothered you (b) is there a reasonable workaround?

Judging from the pictures, it looks like the DSG can be arranged to sit lower on the belt and that might make a difference.

I wear the DSG and JMCK holsters in the highest set of holes, whether with the clip or the PTD loops. That allows the holster to ride lower in the pants for better concealment and prevents roll out for me while still providing a good grip.

There are times when depending on where or how I am seated I'll get some protrusion...but generally I don't notice it much and I try to maneuver the holster a bit before I sit. The PTD loops help a bit in allowing the holster to cant and self-adjust some.

I'm generally not in NPE's much so I don't have too many issues with cover garments.

The major advantage of the G19 sized holster is that the shorter length adds a bit to both comfort and not driving the holster northward (as much) when seated. (I primarily use the 19 holster with the G26, however.)

blues
06-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Rather than start a new thread or post elsewhere, wanted to update by saying that I decided to experiment with the claw on my two DSG holsters.

I was intrigued when I had read about some members grinding down the claw to have a little bit less leverage under the belt which would help ease the printing by the rear corner of the Glock slide. And then I remembered that Tom had mentioned that the claw could also be moved and re-positioned to the rear of the holster without removing any material. This is what I decided to try first.

Moving the claw to the rear was a win-win. Not only does the rear corner of the slide no longer print, (unless I bend backward), but the holster is more comfortable due to less pressure being exerted by the claw (and hence the grip). It worked so well on one holster that I went ahead and did it on the second and am more than satisfied to keep them in that location. The grip is still adequately tucked into the body and the addition of a wedge at the south end of the holster allows some additional comfort and padding.

The whole operation took a total of a couple minutes and is worth the experimentation for those who may benefit from a bit of adjustment.

Leroy Suggs
06-02-2017, 01:48 PM
That makes me feel like a nincompoop for grinding mine and not realizing I could just move it to the back. Duh.:eek:

Olim9
06-02-2017, 01:50 PM
That makes me feel like a nincompoop for grinding mine and not realizing I could just move it to the back. Duh.:eek:

Don't worry, I too feel dumb for not realizing you can do this.

blues
06-02-2017, 01:54 PM

Don't worry, I too feel dumb for not realizing you can do this.

It really depends. The move to the rear might be a larger differential than just shaving a bit off.

In my case it was okay but if it was too much of a good thing I'd have had to reinstall in front and then take a bit off at a time to find the happy place.

So, you probably ended up fine tuning it better by doing what you did.

(Do you feel better now? :p)

dieselvrr
06-08-2017, 09:40 AM
I just ordered the DSG for my G19 with Loops, Clips and Claw. Looking forward to trying it out! I received the AIWB for the 43 a few weeks ago and its been great. I do agree on the OP comment about some play while the gun is in the holster but once its on the belt or against the body, I dont notice any movement.

orionz06
06-08-2017, 10:01 AM
I just ordered the DSG for my G19 with Loops, Clips and Claw. Looking forward to trying it out! I received the AIWB for the 43 a few weeks ago and its been great. I do agree on the OP comment about some play while the gun is in the holster but once its on the belt or against the body, I dont notice any movement.

One of the things I need to write up is an additional reason for that movement.

If there was zero movement but the same tension/retention adjustment the draw would be a lot harder. A small amount of movement allows for a much greater range of retention but still allows the pistol to be drawn when set tighter. Effectively one can get a tighter setting but still draw.

The play can also be lessened by tightening one screw more than the other. The snap can also be tweaked this way. Adding a half turn in on the bottom will spread the top a little, relative, and lessen the interference fit.

dieselvrr
06-08-2017, 10:11 AM

If there was zero movement but the same tension/retention adjustment the draw would be a lot harder. A small amount of movement allows for a much greater range of retention but still allows the pistol to be drawn when set tighter. Effectively one can get a tighter setting but still draw.

The play can also be lessened by tightening one screw more than the other. The snap can also be tweaked this way. Adding a half turn in on the bottom will spread the top a little, relative, and lessen the interference fit.

Thanks for the explanation! Again, I just noticed it but dont see any interfering with function. Going to do some more in-depth practice at range this weekend.

blues
06-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Tom and I have discussed this topic numerous times on the phone and I've always taken pains to ensure that he understood that my POV was that it is a non-issue, and merely an observation. The amount of travel is minuscule, and once the holster is put on, it is unnoticeable.

The retention provided by my three current DSG holsters is excellent. (Another on the way soon for somewhat limited OWB usage.)
Fit and finish is good as one could ask for. Presentation similarly excellent.

Gumbo
06-16-2017, 01:15 PM
On the JMCK front, Tony is going to build me an AIWB holster for my new Gen 4 G17 equipped with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL based upon the design he and SLG have come up with. Though I don't (at this time) intend to EDC the G17 / light combo, I do want the option and this should be as good as it gets imho based upon my prior experience with Tony's work and my confidence that SLG's input will only make it that much better.

Please post pictures/info about the AIWB holster for the G17 with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL. I've been looking for a good holster exactly like you are describing for a while now. I also don't expect to edc it but I like my loaded handguns to be in a holster and I don't have anything for this combination yet.

blues
06-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Please post pictures/info about the AIWB holster for the G17 with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL. I've been looking for a good holster exactly like you are describing for a while now. I also don't expect to edc it but I like my loaded handguns to be in a holster and I don't have anything for this combination yet.

There's a separate thread here... (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24898-More-Excellence-From-Sparks-NV)

camsdaddy
09-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Does anyone have any pictures showing ride height with the gun seated in the lowest position?