PDA

View Full Version : Renegade Ankle Holsters

SmokeJumper
11-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Anyone here have any experience with Renegade Ankle holsters? Specifically the model #500 cozy partner for hammerless S&W J-frames. I've read a few things about them being super comfortable for BUG carry in ankle mode, but have yet to see one in person or see a holster in person. From the looks of a few photos I found while scouring the net, they don't look like they would hold the j-frame very securely in the gun pouch/holster area. They do not look to be of the higher end style ankle rigs, maybe just the photos I've seen. Any way, curious and looking for end user feedback, good/bad/indifferent.

Tom Givens
11-15-2011, 06:48 PM
I wear the DeSantis Apache, which is a copy of the Renegade. It's on my leg all day every day with a Colt Cobra in it. I do add the calf strap support garter, or by the end of a 12-14 hour day the rig has slipped lower than I like.

The elastic gun pouch doesn't look too secure, but I have never dislodged a gun from mine. I make it a point to only kick doors with the foot that doesn't have a gun above it.

HeadHunter
11-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I have been using the Cozy Partner #500 for years. It's a great holster.

Dr. No
11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I've been carrying a 340PD in that exact setup for six years on the street. It sits on top of my combat boots which helps quite a bit so it can't slide down. I've been involved in multiple foot pursuits and other obstacle type course stuff and it has never come loose until I gave it a sharp tug. Then it zips right out.

I've actually worn mine almost completely through where the trigger guard is on the elastic. I'm thinking I may need to buy another one.

I wish they were on the web to make life easier in ordering, but it is, hands down, the best ankle rig on the market.

JHC
11-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes I've had a Cozy Partner for many years. Could be 20 years (?). It only shows minor wear. It's been fantastic. However, I didn't use it heavily for much of that time. Very comfortable with a 638 and 637 over those years.

Dagga Boy
11-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Its my second favorite ankle rig, and the only conventional ankle rig that I can wear. I have huge calves that interfere with traditional ankle rigs, so I have always used the upside down Eagle rigs. I have worn the Renegade rigs in the past with 5 shot revolvers. When I owned my own Police Equipment store, the Renegade and Eagle were the only two ankle rigs I would sell. Most of the others had retention and comfort issues.

LtDave
11-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Ditto on the Eagle upside down ankle rig. Mine is 25 yrs old and still going strong. Most concealable one I've used.

DocGKR
11-16-2011, 01:40 AM
The Renegade works well and is what I used when I carried a J-frame as an ankle BUG.

SmokeJumper
11-16-2011, 02:25 AM
I've been carrying a 340PD in that exact setup for six years on the street. It sits on top of my combat boots which helps quite a bit so it can't slide down. I've been involved in multiple foot pursuits and other obstacle type course stuff and it has never come loose until I gave it a sharp tug. Then it zips right out.

I've actually worn mine almost completely through where the trigger guard is on the elastic. I'm thinking I may need to buy another one.

I wish they were on the web to make life easier in ordering, but it is, hands down, the best ankle rig on the market.

Dr. No- I found this on the web with a bit of searching, but they still only do phone/fax orders. http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/

This is the specific model I was looking at:
http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/wpimages/wp30190876_05.jpg
The retention strap goes over the trigger guard (hammerless- no thumb break) and a pull on the draw stroke breaks the strap loose. A different kind of design.

Dagga Boy
11-16-2011, 08:10 AM
I like the Model 50 the best as they are both very comfortable and offer great retention.

SmokeJumper
11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I like the Model 50 the best as they are both very comfortable and offer great retention.

Is the model 50 the one with the elastic gun pouch? And does it have any retention strap?

DocGKR- which model did you use to pack your BUG?