PDA

View Full Version : Different powders for Pistols vs Resolvers?

-ad-
09-23-2016, 02:12 AM
I was just wondering if there's much of a difference between powders for pistols and revolvers. (Especially when comparing the same / close caliber such as 38 and 9mm)

It seems that most of the manufacturers recipes I've come across have dedicated powders for pistols, and another for revolvers.

However many re-loaders I've come across use one powder for both. Is this just a marketing gimmick by the powder manufacturers, or is there a reason to choose one particular powder for revolvers and another for pistols/autos (besides just following the manufacturers recommendations)?

Hambo
09-23-2016, 06:16 AM
is there a reason to choose one particular powder for revolvers and another for pistols/autos

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Powder choice is based on load data for specific cartridges or shotshells. I've used Bullseye in .38 and 9mm, but H110/W296 is only suitable for magnum cartridges. Some shotshell powders can be used in handgun cartridges, and even in rifles when loading cast bullets.

mmc45414
09-23-2016, 06:22 AM
As said, maybe think more of case capacity as a guideline, though that is far from absolute. Also, you can load faster burning powders in a broader range, though getting maximum out of a magnum requires a slower burn.

Funny thing is though, I have also loaded a lot of pistol cartridges with Longshot, and it is fairly slow.

Hauptmann
09-23-2016, 07:57 AM
I find that it is easier to put handgun calibers into categories. Mouse calibers include .25acp, .380acp......etc. These calibers are optimized with fast burning pistol powders, but can sometimes use medium burn rate pistol powders. Service calibers include 9mm, .38spl, .40S&W, .44spl, .45acp, .455 Webley.......and others that operated at moderate velocities and are intended for antipersonnel use. These calibers can generally share the same handgun reloading powders which are are optimal in the medium burn rate, but can also use fast and slower burning powders. Magnum calibers would include calibers like .32mag, .357mag, 10mm Auto, .44mag, .500S&W.....etc These calibers are optimized at either slow burning pistol powders, or fast burning rifle powders.

BehindBlueI's
09-23-2016, 08:10 AM
I was just wondering if there's much of a difference between powders for pistols and revolvers. (Especially when comparing the same / close caliber such as 38 and 9mm)

Caliber is only one consideration. Case volume and acceptable pressure can vary quite a bit. There is often some crossover, at least in "acceptable" if not "ideal", such as Accurate #5 for both .38 and 9mm. CFE-pistol, on the other hand, is a lousy choice for .38 but would be a good 9mm powder. It won't fill the case enough to be consistent and still stay in max pressure levels for .38 on anything other than wadcutters, so the difference in case volume is the issue.

olstyn
09-23-2016, 09:26 AM
I think BBI hit the nail right on the head; cases with large volume and small charge weight, like .38, are going to be somewhat limiting in powder choice due to issues with powder position upon ignition. They need "fluffier" powders like Unique in order to achieve consistent ignition. The odds of finding a powder that's good for .38 but unworkable for 9mm are pretty low. Going in the other direction, though, as BBI said, things like CFE-P that are finer-grained, denser powders, may work beautifully in 9mm but cause issues in .38. On the other other hand, large flake powders like Unique have a higher tendency to flick out of 9mm cases when a progressive press rotates because the case is so full, so that's something to be aware of, too. No one powder is perfect for everything, but with a little bit of effort, you can find the best compromise for yourself.

Jim Watson
09-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Agree, it is the case volume and working pressure that drive powder selection, not the action type.

Consider that if a revolver round doesn't say "Magnum" it probably started out with black powder and that is still reflected in its loading.

Jared
09-23-2016, 09:21 PM
For the guy that just wants to use one, and wants it to meter well in a Dillon press, WW231 aka HP38, does almost everything except full Magnum loads and little mousegun loads. I use it in 9, 38, 45, medium power 44 and 357 mag.

-ad-
09-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Thanks for your replies.

That helps me to understand the situation a little more - in regards to the case size, and the amount of powder required, and gap, etc.

I've seen some people push a 38 projectile down into the case to reduce the amount of air space. I would assume in these instances it would bring a 38 special and a 9mm much closer to each other in regards to powder. (Maybe that's why they do it, I'm not entirely sure). Although this is for target shooting, and these guys seem to be pretty serious about testing loads and finding out what groups best so maybe it helps with the softer target loads they're using and groups too.

Either way - what you guys have said here makes sense. Some powders may work in multiple loads one way, but it depends on the volume required, the amount of space remaining, etc. Thanks for helping me understand!