PDA

View Full Version : Tanfo Stock 2 Review!

P.E. Kelley
09-22-2016, 01:24 PM
https://youtu.be/B_XY3xlsve0

Gary1911A1
09-22-2016, 06:13 PM
I have several of these pistols and like them which might be a "Guilty Pleasure" of mine as no one else shoots them at my club. I have an original Stock with the Supersight and a Elite Pro which is almost the same as the Stock II except it has another 1/4" slide with a straight barrel. I use Meg-gar Magazines, the ones with K2 on the side which are so much better than the factory magazines that came with mine.

YVK
09-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Been shooting one in will get killed on the street activities since May. Mine was done up by Jim Bodkin. Sweetest shooting gun I've had. Has run trouble free for 1300 rounds and then started to give me all kinds of problems. I did a bunch of things to rectify all of that and now I've just completed the first thousand rounds since last malfunction. Very hopeful I got it fixed 'cause it'd be hard to give this gun up.

breakingtime91
09-22-2016, 10:00 PM
Been shooting one in will get killed on the street activities since May. Mine was done up by Jim Bodkin. Sweetest shooting gun I've had. Has run trouble free for 1300 rounds and then started to give me all kinds of problems. I did a bunch of things to rectify all of that and now I've just completed the first thousand rounds since last malfunction. Very hopeful I got it fixed 'cause it'd be hard to give this gun up.

what issues did you run into? I am just curious because they look like well built guns.

YVK
09-23-2016, 12:12 AM
The first malfunction, which of course happened, when else, during an Area match, was a live round stovepipe. Yes, that. Never seen that before. Everything after that were failures to feed when the round was partially chambered but never went fully in. But you couldn't tap it in so I took it as a variant of a three-point jam. Could be a tight chamber but I was afread to perm-modify it. And I had one failure to eject. Talking to smarter people, the majority of problems appeared to be related to [relatively] weak mag springs. A slight problem is that extra power ones from Wolff aren't really designed for Tanfo mags and require a bit of effin with to get into the mag bodies. However, after I got those +10% power mag springs in, I've not had a feeding stoppage. Similarly, the extraction seemed to have been fixed by extra power extractor spring.

As an aside, one of the problems with these is a general lack of knowledge how to make them run or rectify issues. Most discussions on these are on Enos and some are on Doodie, but you get an impression that you just get a kitchen sink approach "polish this part, break that edge". Pretty early you get a sense that people don't really know what makes these run and what doesn't. You kind of have to become your own gunsmith or have an access to one with a general experience and brains.

GardoneVT
09-23-2016, 12:37 AM
what issues did you run into? I am just curious because they look like well built guns.

From a QC perspective they're competent options.

The biggest weakness is support.
EAA is a liability, period. It is the only importer I've dealt with which actually made it harder to keep their product running . I ordered five parts from them when I owned Tangfo pistols. Each of them required fitting , and one extended safety was so out of spec it looked like it came off of a different brand of gun entirely.

Other countries get to order parts straight from Tanfoglio as we do for Glock,Sig, etc-but not us Amerikanski.

Making matters worse is EAA imported two different frame sizes over the years of the same gun (9mm and .40) so if you have a brand new Tanfgo 9mm it's not the same frame size as one chambered in the same caliber made in 2004 or earlier. Which means you can't use small frame mags, or small frame parts, and some accessory orders ship with a degree of "caveat emptor". Careful study of the selling website is a must if you order a component. Most of the aftermarket goodies are made for the small frame Witness models, so if you have a late model Large Frame 9mm/.40 most of the parts don't fit.

Once I realized a Beretta 92 does everything a Tanfoglio 9mm can without the logistical BS , they went down the road.

Luke
09-23-2016, 06:20 AM
You own a race car you get the race car maintenance. If your not willing to tinker these guns aren't for you. I've never owned a match gun that had a malfunction, ever. I just got one of these and have already had a couple malf's at matches. That said, I have no plans on shooting anything else for a while. These guns are amazing. I have a 6lbs DA and 2lbs SA that eats CCI primers. My buddy has one with a 4.5lbs DA that ran a magazine of my CCI's!! If
You've never felt a truly tuned tanfo you can't even comprehend how sexy they are.

Gardone there is a lot more support for large frames now.