PDA

View Full Version : Semi-automatic bullet sizer

jeep45238
09-20-2016, 09:18 PM
I love the sound of this thread's title :-)

The skinny is I have one of the cheap $30 Lee presses bolted up next to my Dillon. The Dillon has a bullet feeder with a collator, so all bullets get oriented nose up after initial adjustment. It's adjusted and working wonderfully. However, between 6 cavity molds, case/bullet feeders, and some nice bulk bullet coatings, there's one thing that takes up so much time and frustration for me - sizing the bullets, one at a time, and orienting them all by hand to do so.

I'm looking at the idea of building a feeding mechanism to go between the single stage and the output tube of the bullet collator to speed resizing. Essentially, I want the bullets to get arranged and dropped in a tube, then a plate with a hole in it to transfer the bullet over to the press post. This mechanism needs to be operated by the ram of the press, so as fast as you can pull the handle, you're sizing bullets.

Has anybody built something like this before? I'm a little hesitant to flip the press upside down, as I'll need to create a 'flipper' between the collator and the press - but flipping it would allow a funnel of sorts to guide and keep the bullet in place while the ram post is coming into position.

*WARNING*. This post written by an enlisted member under the influence of Miller. It might wind up great....or horrible.

Jim Watson
09-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Magma has kept the Star lubrisizer in production, $338 and have a collator for it, $1040.
Incentive enough to try your hand at it.

jeep45238
09-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Only catch in that is that I'm coating my own bullets (ala hi tek), so this would defeat that purpose. I also have a bullet collator already that I'd like to implement in the design