PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose Inforce WML?

VolGrad
09-20-2016, 11:56 AM
I looked at these a while back - like years ago - but never made the purchase. I like the angled button and easy mounting as well as the size and weight. I am not completely married to the idea of the Inforce but they seemed to be favorable reviewed by folks here and elsewhere in the past. I see they have upgraded the lumens now to 400 and 800.

My needs - don't really need but I don't currently have a light mounted on my SBR but would like to leave one on. I have a TLR-1 on my pistol and could move it to the SBR but wanted to keep it available for my pistols which I already have holsters that work with the light.

The use would be for home defense so basically inside my house. Is it really necessary to go with the upgraded lumens of would I be just fine with the regular 200 lumen one I might find discounted somewhere or in the secondary market?

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Beat Trash
09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
For home defense inside, the 200 lumen model would work. The new Gen2 400 lumen model would work better. I would hold off and get one of the newer gen2 models. They also improved the switch, and made the body a bit stronger. By the time the next online holiday shopping discounts come around, the new models will be out and about.

For my work gun as an LEO, I still like the Surefire scout lights. But for a home defense gun, these enforce lights are really nice. The gen2 models tweeted a few complaints that were out there.

VolGrad
09-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Kind of what I figured on the lumen. Thanks for your input.

Is there any way to tell the difference between the older and newer Gen2 models if I were to shop online?

breakingtime91
09-20-2016, 04:49 PM
I have the original low lumen on my carbine. It's been mounted at 12 o clock and had thousands of rounds fired with it on. I like it a lot and it's been nothing but reliable and does what I need. Gonna get the 400 lumen or 800 lumen for my second carbine this year

JCS
09-20-2016, 04:54 PM
I have the original low lumen on my carbine. It's been mounted at 12 o clock and had thousands of rounds fired with it on. I like it a lot and it's been nothing but reliable and does what I need. Gonna get the 400 lumen or 800 lumen for my second carbine this year

Would you mind sharing why you mount it there and if you have a front sight and how that affects it?

breakingtime91
09-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Would you mind sharing why you mount it there and if you have a front sight and how that affects it?

Sure, 12 o clock because whatever I am looking at can be white lighted. if I'm looking through or over my optic, my white light can hit it. I mount it in front of my front sight. Front sight is taller then the wml so no issues.

VolGrad
09-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Sure, 12 o clock because whatever I am looking at can be white lighted. if I'm looking through or over my optic, my white light can hit it. I mount it in front of my front sight. Front sight is taller then the wml so no issues.

I had a TLR-1 mounted this way briefly. This is probably how I'll mount the Inforce.

Edster
09-20-2016, 06:54 PM
I had one on a shotgun. The bezel came off after just a few rounds. It didn't unscrew, it simply came off.

I re-attached the bezel and it seemed to work ok. I put it on an M&P 15-22, figuring it would be fine on a .22. When I got the rifle to the range, it wasn't working anymore. I put a fresh battery in it and it still didn't work.

breakingtime91
09-20-2016, 07:18 PM
I had one on a shotgun. The bezel came off after just a few rounds. It didn't unscrew, it simply came off.

I re-attached the bezel and it seemed to work ok. I put it on an M&P 15-22, figuring it would be fine on a .22. When I got the rifle to the range, it wasn't working anymore. I put a fresh battery in it and it still didn't work.

I would contact inforce. Buddy and me have put ours on 12 gauge and 556 guns. Never had a problem

HopetonBrown
09-20-2016, 07:37 PM
My Gen 1 WML was dead on arrival; wouldn't turn on. They were great about replacing it. My Gen 1 APL died after a few hundred rounds. Again, they were great to work with. I'm using only Surefire now.

Edster
09-20-2016, 10:00 PM
I would contact inforce. Buddy and me have put ours on 12 gauge and 556 guns. Never had a problem

I'll get around to it and report back. I found a different setup I like better for the shotgun anyway. I'd still like to be able to put the WML to some use, though.

HCM
09-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Count me among the "I want all the Lumens" crowd. How old are you and how is your night vision? Your peak night vision is about age 14-15, by the time you are in your 40's you need 4x the light to see the same thing you saw in low light when you were 14.

Lumens are not the whole story, there are differences in beam pattern with Throw vs spill but overall, brighter is better. IME, during low light FOF, brighter lights not only let me see better detail, but they let me see faster.

If you are set on the Inforce, wait for a 400 or 800 Lumen model. If not I would look at Arisaka or the new Streamlight ProTac models.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88059-ProTac-Railmount-Light/dp/B01AXR8IKS

abu fitna
09-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Have one of the older ones set up on a carbine. Works well, lockout bar is useful to avoid light nd.

Will likely upgrade to the new gen model also. All the lumens indeed.

VolGrad
09-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Had a convo with a buddy today and we discussed the Inforce vs just getting another TLR-1 to have the versatility to switch it to a pistol when needed.

Thoughts? Specifically, any reason to steer away from TLR-1 on a carbine?

That Guy
09-21-2016, 03:39 PM
The only reason I can think of is that the switch of the TLR makes accidental activation of the light too likely if the gun is carried slung, or in a soft case. (And I never tried a 12 o'clock mount, only at the side of the gun.) If those scenarios don't apply, I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't go with a TLR.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

Eli
09-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Thoughts? Specifically, any reason to steer away from TLR-1 on a carbine?

One reason that I can think of...

The TLR-1 rides quite a bit higher on the rail. While my preference for 12 o'clock light is a Fury in a Rosch Works mount or an X300U, if choosing between a Gen2 WML or a TLR1, I'd go with the Inforce.

Eli
09-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Surefire P3X Fury in a Rosch Works front sight mount.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/my%20blaster.jpg

Gen1 WMLx (the two Gen1s that I had, proved to be too fragile for any serious use, but the Gen2s seems to be an acceptable fix.)

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/my%20ar%20pistol%201.jpg

texasaggie2005
09-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to decide between a M600 Scout light, X300U-A or the new WMLx for mounting at 12 o'clock. Has anybody ever put a Scout light directly on the top and used the push button?

In regards to the Inforce, I ran across this today.

http://youtu.be/0Bo1AT6nkcU

Eli
09-22-2016, 10:05 PM
I wasn't at the class this past weekend (the one in the video), but have taken several classes with Abner, talked with him about the pros and cons of the Inforce lights, talked to him about what he did there and ultimately why he left. If he's saying that the new ones are good to go, I personally believe that they are.

cmbarny2
09-22-2016, 11:44 PM
I have a Gen 1, Haley Strategic Version of the Momentary Only WML. I've never had any of the problems I've seen others report and personally love mine. Over on M4C it was discussed the possibility that the tan version of the Inforce lights were a lot more problematic than the black versions going off of who reported problems with them. On a HD rifle I like them and would probably put the Gen 2 800 lumen model on it. For a work gun I'd be more apt to put something like the P3X Fury on the rifle instead. Since day 1 I've liked the switchology and wished Surefire or Streamlight would but the idea from them and perfect the lights design. Maybe the Gen 2 will do that anyways.

VolGrad
09-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the continued input. I'm still contemplating the issue.

Sasage
09-23-2016, 08:47 PM
If this is for a long gun, I would go Surefire Scout or P2x/p3x. I have had an apl and wmlx , no longer own either

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
09-23-2016, 08:50 PM
If this is for a long gun, I would go Surefire Scout or P2x/p3x. I have had an apl and wmlx , no longer own either

but why?

Sasage
09-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Because having 600 lumens on a pistol and rifle is better than 200.

I also had to RMA the wmlx because the switch wouldn't work.

If the choice was between apl or Surefire xc1, I would go apl all day

JCS
09-24-2016, 06:42 AM

The new ones are 400 & 800 lumens. Would you still choose the surefire?

Wheeler
09-24-2016, 07:43 AM

The TLR1-HL is 634ish lumens. Since that was one of the original lights the OP asked after, would that not be better?

whomever
09-24-2016, 07:40 PM
To borrow from another poster: certified SMA (Subject Matter Amateur) here. I've had exactly 3 days of low light training, plus running around my own house/the woods with various lights (I have a bit of a flashlight fetish. And I have hiked a bit at night).

Inside a house, I want about 100 lumens, pure flood. When I stick a 100 lumen flood in a room and blink it, I see everything in the room. When I stick in a 500 lumen spot beam, I see what's in the middle of the spot, or if it happens to illuminate a nearby white wall (or, God forbid, a mirror), I'm not seeing anything but spots for a while. Inside a house, more isn't better.

Outside is different; you can't have too many lumens. Spot and flood are different; which is better depends on the circumstances.

I tend to think of lights on guns as defensive things. Legally speaking, I think that legally defensible defensive shooting is likely to be at short (for long guns) range. Hunting is a different thing. Searching for a boat at night is certainly different, etc.

YMMV

HCM
09-27-2016, 11:16 PM
The 400 Lumen gen 2 is now availible:

https://www.amazon.com/INFORCE-Multifunction-Weaponlight-Picatinny-Finish/dp/B01LW8H6BF/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1475036026&sr=1-5&keywords=inforce+400

https://www.amazon.com/INFORCE-Multifunction-Weaponlight-Picatinny-Finish/dp/B01LW4MEUG/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LW4MEUG&pd_rd_r=0QQ3W1C171HYNEMHXSGJ&pd_rd_w=sGpgo&pd_rd_wg=87f2W&psc=1&refRID=0QQ3W1C171HYNEMHXSGJ

That Guy
10-01-2016, 07:41 AM
What is the beam like on a new, gen 2, WMLX? I haven't been able to find any specifications or anything like that on it. How far does the beam reach, how much spill..?