PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a fun-gun....non-semi rifle for club 3-gun

Welder
09-19-2016, 04:40 PM
So our club has an informal, annual 3-gun Weaponsmaster match. I can't hit a darn thing with a shotgun so I always just shoot rifle and pistol. The rules break rifles down only into irons and optics, not into action types. If you shoot .30 or bigger you shoot 2 shots to the 3 that anything under .30 requires.

In previous years I've taken an AR but have been getting bored with that. So this year I took a Pawn Shop .30-30 and had great fun with it, even beating some of the worst AR shooters. But to be fair I could've nearly beat the same guys with my Ruger No. 1. The courses of fire involve 20-30 rounds at around 75 yds max, shooting on the move, with downloaded first magazines so reloads are required. I've started thinking about a rifle for next year, something loaded by stripper clips rather than single-loading through a gate. I don't really want to shoot one of the modern 'tactical' Scout bolt rifles with DBM's; I would rather do this in style. Good sights and quick loading (relatively speaking) are the main requirements. I don't care about the caliber, other than it be at least .30 and not a pistol cartridge. I'll reload for whatever it is so obscure calibers are fine. Is the Enfield the only rifle in the running?

PS - This is totally a fun-gun question. I have rifles for other uses so please don't sidetrack the thread by trying to inject it with reality. :p

Wondering Beard
09-19-2016, 04:46 PM
.303 Lee Enfield?

Jay Cunningham
09-19-2016, 04:48 PM
PS - This is totally a fun-gun question. I have rifles for other uses so please don't sidetrack the thread by trying to inject it with reality. :p

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Joe in PNG
09-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Swiss K31 or similar?

JSGlock34
09-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Obviously you said non-semi in your title, but that sounds self-inflicted since other guys are running ARs and action type isn't specified? I'd be tempted to run something like a CMP M1 Garand.

Joe in PNG
09-19-2016, 05:00 PM
An FN 49 would also work, if you're looking for a semi-auto hipster gun.

okie john
09-19-2016, 05:08 PM
This rifle: https://www.gunsamerica.com/963160744/Remington-760-30-0.htm

It handles like an 870, it will take any scope or iron sights that a bolt gun will take, it's a 30/06, and you can get 10-round mags.

Plus this hat: http://www.filson.com/men/hats-and-caps/double-mackinaw-cap.html#277

Okie John

Malamute
09-19-2016, 05:09 PM
A 1903 or 03A3 Springfield would fit most of that including stripper loading. a 1917 (US) Enfield would also. The 1917s have excellent sights, the 03A3 next best. Zeroing to point of aim is often a matter of swapping front sights, the rears aren't zero-able for elevation in either, and not for windage in the case of the 1917.

Wondering Beard
09-19-2016, 05:11 PM
An FN 49 would also work, if you're looking for a semi-auto hipster gun.

In that case, an MAS 49 might be easier to acquire and can be loaded with stripper clips.

Which reminds me, that rifle is supposed to be a true 'direct inpingement' gun (I came to that part of PFestivus too late)

Welder
09-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Yeah, let me be clear as our C-I-C would say. The field is awash with AR's, M1A's, and M1's. I want to be the special snowflake having fun while everybody else shoots their same-same boring rifles. I don't want to win. I whoop most of them in pistol so I don't have anything to prove. I just want to stir the pot, but without single-loading like last time. No DBM's, I want old school stripper clips. And yes, this is completely self-inflicted. But in a fun way.

Although I will add I've always wanted an FN-49. Just not for this particular case.

I do already have a couple of '09 Argentine Mausers. One of them's a carbine but more than 5 rds at a time would be nice and their sights aren't fast. Thus my thoughts on the Enfield. Maybe a No 5 Mk 1.

Drang
09-19-2016, 05:18 PM
.30-40 Krag!

Welder
09-19-2016, 05:20 PM
This rifle: https://www.gunsamerica.com/963160744/Remington-760-30-0.htm

It handles like an 870, it will take any scope or iron sights that a bolt gun will take, it's a 30/06, and you can get 10-round mags.

Plus this hat: http://www.filson.com/men/hats-and-caps/double-mackinaw-cap.html#277

Okie John

Now that is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Even though it uses DBM's, it isn't tactical at all. I hate tactical and I intend to prove it. Love the hat. I'm going for borderline ridiculous here, and plan to never let any of the slow AR shooters forget they got whooped by whatever I come up with. I have a whole year to load some powderpuff loads and game it to the max.

okie john
09-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Now that is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Even though it uses DBM's, it isn't tactical at all. I hate tactical and I intend to prove it. Love the hat. I'm going for borderline ridiculous here, and plan to never let any of the slow AR shooters forget they got whooped by whatever I come up with. I have a whole year to load some powderpuff loads and game it to the max.

A youth load of H4895 and a cheap 147 FMJ will save wear and tear on your shoulder and ears, and cases won't stick in the chamber on the run-and-gun stages, and depending on course design, you might start beating some of the better AR shooters. Also, the 760 and 7600 are often sub MOA shooters out of the box, so you can sting some of the long-range guys, too.

Okie John

Inkwell 41
09-19-2016, 05:32 PM
.30-40 Krag!

Mega dittos!!!! A sporterized Krag Carbine would bring a measure of style and panache to an otherwise ho hum competition.

Welder
09-19-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm liking the ideas here....

littlejerry
09-19-2016, 07:36 PM
CZ 527 in 7.62x39 would be my pick. NECG makes a rear aperture that clamps to the dovetail. 5 round mags are a little expensive though.

If you're using an optic then a Howa mini action might be a good choice. Their proprietary mags are a bit cheaper than CZ.

If you want to shoot a Milsurp I'd say find a decent Mauser... 8mm isn't too terribly expensive.

Or shoot a Garand cuz 'Merica. Last match I shot with the M1 I ended up knocking over all of the target stands less than ~7 yards away. It was awesome.

Joe in PNG
09-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Here's another though- a Steyr-Mannlicher 95 carbine. If a 5 shot, clip loaded, straight pull bolt action firing an obsolescent cartridge isn't hipster, I don't know what is.
Collector's has a few in stock, and Numrich sells the clips.

Lester Polfus
09-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Dunno how much they cost, but Remington Model 8, with Bonnie and Clyde period correct clothing would be cool. We have a guy here who could advise on the details, if we can lure him away from his Smaug hoarde of N frames.

Drang
09-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Dunno how much they cost, but Remington Model 8, with Bonnie and Clyde period correct clothing would be cool. We have a guy here who could advise on the details, if we can lure him away from his Smaug hoarde of N frames.

Zoot Shooters (http://www.zootshooters.com/)

Bigghoss
09-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Swiss straight pulls are cool.
Yugo mausers are cheap
No. 4 Lee-Enfields are cheap and have pretty good sights. Sporterized ones are maybe $300
Carcanos are really cheap and light and have en bloc clips for faster loading
Mas 36 are supposed to be pretty good

Check out TFB-tv on youtube, they do some interesting gun hipster vids.

coldcase1984
09-20-2016, 08:34 AM
I'm with Okie John on this one!

Dropped a Timney Trigger Fix medium spring in the very early (silver bolt shroud) 760 '06 pawnshop find and it truly runs like an Amish machine gun.

Load some 100 grain plinkers or 110 fmj carbine boolits with 13 grains of Red Dot and rule the roost. M1 performance and light muzzle report.

I'm tore up now. Gonna get the ol' trombone out of the safe and put an optic on it.

Truck Gun Heavy Is Back!:cool:

Lost River
09-20-2016, 09:47 AM
I agree with some of the other posters who said M1 Garand.

The enjoyment of hearing the big BOOMS followed by PING! is all part of it.

spinmove_
09-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Does it have to shoot a .30 caliber bullet? Because if not...Swedish Mauser?

Lex Luthier
09-20-2016, 10:19 AM
For bolt guns, I might steer clear of the MAS 36 because it has no manual safety. I find the bolt handle location awkward; others like it fine. Sights are great- almost identical to the MAS 49 series.

I have more than 1k rounds through a P-14; they are a little fiddly loading with some stripper clips, otherwise good to go. Heavy. Either a P-14 in .303 or a M17 in 30.06 is as accurate as you are.

This carbine of Malamute's floats my boat Sporterized .303 No. 4 Enfield with P-14 front sight (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19699-NY-Long-gun-choice&p=423341&viewfull=1#post423341) (I priced out a P-14 front sight assembly & 'smithing costs after seeing it.)

One of the Remington Model 8s or 81s would be a class choice. They just exude a bright aura of John-Moses-Browning-ness.

And the term "Amish Machine Gun" made me have to dab at my screen. Sounds like you could do worse than an Ilion Trombone.

(Spinmove_ has a point with the Swedish Mauser. you have to work to miss with those things.)

spinmove_
09-20-2016, 11:30 AM
(Spinmove_ has a point with the Swedish Mauser. you have to work to miss with those things.)

To be fair and honest, I've never shot one before. But given the cost of the ammo, how flat it shoots, the fact that it's a 96 series Mauser action, the cool history behind it, the high quality in which those rifles were made, and how well most people say they generally shoot, definitely puts that rifle on my radar. If I had to pick a mil-surp bolt-action rifle that I wanted to get my hands on, the Swedish Mauser is at the top of my list. Following that are the 1903 Springfield, Lee-Enfield No.4, and of course an actual K98 Mauser. And from what I've seen, if you can find a good sample Swedish Mauser, they can be had for a reasonable price.

Robinson
09-20-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm with Okie John on this one!

Dropped a Timney Trigger Fix medium spring in the very early (silver bolt shroud) 760 '06 pawnshop find and it truly runs like an Amish machine gun.

Load some 100 grain plinkers or 110 fmj carbine boolits with 13 grains of Red Dot and rule the roost. M1 performance and light muzzle report.

I'm tore up now. Gonna get the ol' trombone out of the safe and put an optic on it.

Truck Gun Heavy Is Back!:cool:

How does the action compare to say, a Rem 870? Similar? I've wondered if the 760/7600 require more energetic engagement of the slide action than the shotguns. I do know my brother's Remington Fieldmaster .22LR has a nice action that is easy to use.

Lex Luthier
09-20-2016, 12:49 PM
To be fair and honest, I've never shot one before. But given the cost of the ammo, how flat it shoots, the fact that it's a 96 series Mauser action, the cool history behind it, the high quality in which those rifles were made, and how well most people say they generally shoot, definitely puts that rifle on my radar. If I had to pick a mil-surp bolt-action rifle that I wanted to get my hands on, the Swedish Mauser is at the top of my list. Following that are the 1903 Springfield, Lee-Enfield No.4, and of course an actual K98 Mauser. And from what I've seen, if you can find a good sample Swedish Mauser, they can be had for a reasonable price.

I've had two m96s, a 1900 and 1912 Carl Gustav, and still own the 1912 model. Everything said about 'em has a basis in truth. Only downsides are the straight bolt and their weight.

okie john
09-20-2016, 01:49 PM
The FR-8 would also work. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR8

Okie John

Malamute
09-20-2016, 02:24 PM
This carbine of Malamute's floats my boat Sporterized .303 No. 4 Enfield with P-14 front sight (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19699-NY-Long-gun-choice&p=423341&viewfull=1#post423341) (I priced out a P-14 front sight assembly & 'smithing costs after seeing it.)

That reminded me to send a note to the guy I traded it to to keep me in mind if he ever parts with it.

Back on topic, sporterized 1903/03A3s can often be had fairly reasonable. Some are pretty homely looking, but the basics should be sound unless they went full retard on the metal. I have a receiver I got as a de-mill drill rifle. It had little actual welding on the receiver. I had a $25 takeoff factory barrel that had been shortened to 22" screwed into it, and had the drilled/tapped for a Lyman receiver sight. It will probably go in a basic unfinished sporter stock as a general knock-around gun.

The plain old early type No1 Mk III Lee-Enfields of WWI fame are also not bad guns if you can live with the open barrel sights. Tons were sporterized also, meaning they may be fairly reasonably priced if the metal hasn't been buggered up too much.

Jesting Devil
09-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Ever since I saw a video of a hunter in Europe speed shooting hogs on the run with one, I've had the weirdest urge to shoot a Merkel Helix in a rifle or 3G match. Straight pull guns are just so cool... I think they're DBMs though so not quite what your looking for.

Get some video of your match once you get set up, sounds very entertaining!

coldcase1984
09-20-2016, 07:06 PM
How does the action compare to say, a Rem 870? Similar? I've wondered if the 760/7600 require more energetic engagement of the slide action than the shotguns. I do know my brother's Remington Fieldmaster .22LR has a nice action that is easy to use.

Its always cycled all right, finally took it apart a couple years ago to install the Timney spring and learnt it had probably never been field stripped since it left Ilion several years before I came along in '59.

It was pitiful how much crud, hair and other suspect biomass was in that action! Got pics somewhere.

Proud to say it is slicker than a minner now; hold barrel straight up, push action tab and pump slips straight down all the way. Just like my old work 870.

Gonna put scope on it and see how it's shooting. May take it as backup for elk next month.

Chuck Whitlock
09-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Yeah, let me be clear as our C-I-C would say. The field is awash with AR's, M1A's, and M1's. I want to be the special snowflake having fun while everybody else shoots their same-same boring rifles. I don't want to win. I whoop most of them in pistol so I don't have anything to prove. I just want to stir the pot, but without single-loading like last time. No DBM's, I want old school stripper clips. And yes, this is completely self-inflicted. But in a fun way.

Although I will add I've always wanted an FN-49. Just not for this particular case.

I do already have a couple of '09 Argentine Mausers. One of them's a carbine but more than 5 rds at a time would be nice and their sights aren't fast. Thus my thoughts on the Enfield. Maybe a No 5 Mk 1.

Since you want to run stripper clips, have you considered an SKS?

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16336-yugoslavian-model-59-66-sks-rifle-762x39-grade-1.aspx

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16340-yugoslavian-model-59-66-sks-rifle-762x39-grade-2.aspx

I seem to recall that someone makes a peep / ghost ring set up that mounts to the rear of the receiver.

MickAK
09-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Mosin Nagant with original bayonet. For extra points, throw it like a javelin at the last target. Works with a little practice within 15 yards or so. More if you did track and field in high school. You did say fun...

ralph
09-24-2016, 05:36 PM
I've had two m96s, a 1900 and 1912 Carl Gustav, and still own the 1912 model. Everything said about 'em has a basis in truth. Only downsides are the straight bolt and their weight.

That's an easy fix...Model 38 Swede, bent bolt,shorter barrel, (about like a 98k), and seriously accurate..I have a m96, and a Huskavarna (sp?) made m38, Bought 'em both back in the early 90's..paid about $120 apeice for them. 6.5x55 is easy to load, Serria makes some nice bullets for that caliber.