PDA

View Full Version : My LCP with cracked rail was replaced by Ruger

gringop
09-19-2016, 12:32 AM
My good old Ruger LCP 380 showed some problems on it's last PM, the left rail was cracked from the front almost back to the to the take-down pin.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/gringop/20160814_174625.ajpg.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/gringop/20160814_174517A.jpg

I have no idea how long it had been like that, I never noticed it malfunctioning in the past months.

But just a phone call, a few emails, $30 bucks for shipping, $20 bucks for a FFL transfer (more on that later) and I have a brand new LCP with one new mag and a new Ruger branded cheap pocket holster.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/gringop/20160915_231441a.jpg

The front sight already has one base coat of white paint and a final coat of red paint and it's all ready for a test this weekend.
I am a little pissed at Ruger for insisting on sending the replacement through a FFL, as my gunsmith pointed out, there is no legal reason for them to do that.

www.atf.gov/file/55561/download

I'm sure it just a case of "Thar' Be Lawyers!" but at least I didn't have to buy a new gun.

The pistol was purchased new in Oct/Nov 2013 and had a little over 1000 of my 95gr 919 fps reloads and around 200 factory rounds through it. I broke one take-down pin and was on my 3rd set of recoil springs when I noticed the crack.

The take-down pin was just the head breaking off, the gun still functioned and the retaining spring kept the pin in the gun.

I'll probably drop my reloads down to 875 fps to match my Hornady carry ammo. Even though my current load is the low starting load in my 1994 Speer manual, I don't think they envisioned plastic-bodied aluminum-framed pocket 380s back then, PPKs and Sig 230s were de rigueur.

I had both. :(

Gringop

ReverendMeat
09-19-2016, 12:57 AM
That's really weird that you had to pay for shipping. When I've needed Ruger CS in the past they had emailed me a shipping label so all I had to do was find a box and let my gun store put it in their UPS outgoing so I didn't have to drop it off at the UPS hub.

gringop
09-19-2016, 01:11 AM
The gun was a little too old to qualify for free shipping. They asked for the SN, looked it up and told me I would have to pay. $30 was less than I paid to to ship a G19 back to Glock.

Gringop

warpedcamshaft
09-19-2016, 08:23 AM
I like your ghett0-style/Claude Werner pocket mag holder. Looks good.

41magfan
09-19-2016, 08:41 AM
That's not the first time I've heard of frame rail failure on the LCP. I think the performance window on these little guns is fairly narrow and if I was going to routinely shoot the gun with ammo that normally clocks over 900 fps I might just bump the recoil spring up from the factory 9lb spring to an 11 lb since changing the spring often - which you did - didn't mitigate the breakage.

The guns seem to work just fine with heavier springs but for carrying purposes, I'd be inclined to stay with the standard 9 lb spring to mitigate an underpowered round, a less than perfect grip, a fouled gun, etc.

Rightly or wrongly, I've been hedging my bets on any durability concerns by having a dedicated training and practice gun.

StraitR
09-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Ruger seems to be pretty good about that stuff, in my experience.

There may be no legal requirement (at least Federal) for Ruger to send a replacement to an FFL if you personally mailed it to them for repair, but I'm sure their legal department has thought up plenty of legal "reasons" to do so.

Either way, glad to hear they took care of you and provided a replacement.

MSparks909
09-19-2016, 11:59 AM
3 sets of recoil springs in 1200 rounds seems a bit excessive. Wonder if that had anything to do with the cracked rail.

41magfan
09-19-2016, 12:12 PM
3 sets of recoil springs in 1200 rounds seems a bit excessive. Wonder if that had anything to do with the cracked rail.

I personally don't believe it's excessive .... I change mine every 4-500 rds, as well. It's only a 9 lb spring and it takes beating in a gun this size. Changing recoil springs often can only minimize potential problems - it doesn't cause any.

LockedBreech
09-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Mine is at about 1,000 rounds and has significant wear on the rails and locking block/front part of frame. Serial number 372-xxxxx. I changed recoil springs at about 800. No cracks yet but you can bet I'll be inspecting it. Never had a failure.

gringop
09-19-2016, 07:06 PM

I still have the frame and cracked slide from my Kimber Compact. Kimber recommended changing the recoil spring at 700 rounds, I didn't believe them. I sure do now. I damn sure replaced the springs often on it's replacement, my ProCarry HD. Short cycle guns with light slides beat the heck out of springs.

Gringop

Bigghoss
09-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Ruger is usually pretty good about CS but I had an odd experience with them once. I had a malfunctioning P345 and the rep on the phone told me I had to send it in overnight at my cost, which cost me $90. Sent an email to them to bitch about that and the response was that they would have paid to ship it. Then why did your rep tell me I had to pay to ship it?

Another time they paid shipping both ways on a GP100 from 1989, fixed it for free, and tossed in a set of Wiley Clapp edition grips for it. So usually they're awesome but sometimes you might get a rep that doesn't know what they're doing or just run into a weird situation.

CCT125US
09-19-2016, 07:24 PM
Here are my LCP dual Springs after 1000 rounds. Inner set (old) and outer set (new). Gun checked out OK, but probably should have replaced them sooner.

GJM
09-19-2016, 07:30 PM
After seeing this and another thread, I handled one today at LGS. Boy, they are small.

How do they shoot?

41magfan
09-19-2016, 07:55 PM
After seeing this and another thread, I handled one today at LGS. Boy, they are small.

How do they shoot?

I shot a clean Dot Torture with mine at 5 yards on the first try. That might be doing much with a service pistol, but for a .380 that weighs 9.5 oz and is not much bigger than the average .25 Auto, I think it's pretty significant. But, that's just me.

Velo Dog
09-19-2016, 08:08 PM
I remember when many people were concerned that Smith & Wesson estimated the service life of their Sigma SW380 at about 2500 rounds.

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/363985/Sep%2095.pdf

LockedBreech
09-19-2016, 09:42 PM

How do they shoot?

Not factoring in the size, not great.

Factoring in the size, amazing.

More than well enough for engagement inside a few yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillSWPA
09-19-2016, 09:57 PM
The easiest rule I have seen for changing recoil springs is when they are 3 coils shorter than a new spring.

Regarding spring strength, a Kel-Tec .380, of which the Ruger is a clone, comes from the factory with 11 lb. springs. Mine works better with 13 lb. springs. 9 lb. is what Kel-Tec uses on their .32, and I find that mine works better with 11 lb.

I replace the recoil springs in ultra tiny .380's every few hundred rather than every few thousand rounds. With such a small slide mass, the demands on these springs is high. One maker of an ultra compact 9mm recommends changing springs every 100 rounds.

Considering all of the above, the frequency of spring changes does not surprise me at all, and I suspect that a stronger spring would better protect the frame.

GJM
09-19-2016, 10:07 PM
I shot a clean Dot Torture with mine at 5 yards on the first try. That might be doing much with a service pistol, but for a .380 that weighs 9.5 oz and is not much bigger than the average .25 Auto, I think it's pretty significant. But, that's just me.

Dot Torture at 5 is impressive, especially for something that will go in about any pocket.

Bigghoss
09-20-2016, 04:53 AM

How do they shoot?

They can be hard to hang onto but even those tiny sight can put bullets where you want them. I think they're down close to $250-ish now too. Trying to tell myself I don't need a six-pack of them.

41magfan
09-20-2016, 08:14 AM
They can be hard to hang onto but even those tiny sight can put bullets where you want them. I think they're down close to $250-ish now too. Trying to tell myself I don't need a six-pack of them.

Since Ruger lowered the msrp by $100 last year, the going sale price is now routinely @ $200 ..... I'll be surprised if they don't go just a bit lower. I only paid $220 for a Custom model back in November.

As a gun to satisfy Rule #1, I personally don't think you can do any better than $200 for brand new gun that comes with very good customer support.

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Dot Torture at 5 is impressive, especially for something that will go in about any pocket.

I've had one for a couple of years that I bought for a song. Darryl won't associate with me when I pocket carry it (tucked in Aimpoint polo shirt at SHOT) due to "appearance" demands, and requires at least a J frame. It shoots very reliably, but it's sad in the power and sights departments. To give them a little credibility, I've learned that the LCP is CAG's (Delta) NPE pistol.

It's my black tie attire pistol (wife is Executive Director of a non-profit so I attend several events a year), but I think I shall acquire a Ken Null shoulder rig for a real gun for this duty.

Bigghoss
09-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Since Ruger lowered the msrp by $100 last year, the going sale price is now routinely @ $200 ..... I'll be surprised if they don't go just a bit lower. I only paid $220 for a Custom model back in November.

As a gun to satisfy Rule #1, I personally don't think you can do any better than $200 for brand new gun that comes with very good customer support.

Maybe I don't need a six-pack, but one or two more wouldn't be a bad idea.

GJM
09-20-2016, 11:06 AM
I've had one for a couple of years that I bought for a song. Darryl won't associate with me when I pocket carry it (tucked in Aimpoint polo shirt at SHOT) due to "appearance" demands, and requires at least a J frame. It shoots very reliably, but it's sad in the power and sights departments. To give them a little credibility, I've learned that the LCP is CAG's (Delta) NPE pistol.

It's my black tie attire pistol (wife is Executive Director of a non-profit so I attend several events a year), but I think I shall acquire a Ken Null shoulder rig for a real gun for this duty.

Darryl is a natty dresser, and probably helps you tie your bow tie. Ever seen his fishing outfit?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvnfcayok.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvnfcayok.jpeg.html)

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Darryl is a natty dresser, and probably helps you tie your bow tie. Ever seen his fishing outfit?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvnfcayok.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvnfcayok.jpeg.html)

Not only is his sartorial splendor totally absent, he is fishing with what my lovely, classy, fly fishing wife calls a "zing-plop" fishing rig. Totally lacking in style and class. A nice five weight fly rod is so much better....

GJM
09-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Speaking of that splendor, Gabe had a suggestion last night. Knowing Darryl has DB monogrammed or engraved on his bathrobe, slippers, cuff links and shirts, not to mention revolvers, he should switch from Nyeti to Dugga Boy, so the initials work for his real life and Internet life. Maybe I should contact Tom and see if we can switch his screen name, but keeping his FTW tag line.

GJM
09-20-2016, 11:21 AM
PS, it is tough to toss a frog with a five weight.

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2016, 11:26 AM

What a totally vulgar suggestion, sir.

Dagga Boy
09-20-2016, 11:32 AM

I forgot to order those Null rigs. Being the best thing I have done for the world in the last few years has been to get you to replace that stupid LCP with the M&P340. I will order our holsters today. I can't believe we are even revisiting this subject. I mean a cool .380 like a SiG P-230, or HK-4, or Beretta or CZ, but an LCP.......forget our arguments about In N Out vs. Whataburger, the LCP is the 7-11 Hot Dog that has been on the roller all night that sounds good as 7:00am, but you know it is all wrong.

Not only is his sartorial splendor totally absent, he is fishing with what my lovely, classy, fly fishing wife calls a "zing-plop" fishing rig. Totally lacking in style and class. A nice five weight fly rod is so much better....

Fly Fishing at the Country Club golf course may actually be sort of respectable. The idea is to keep the uptight socialites a little worried.

Speaking of that splendor, Gabe had a suggestion last night. Knowing Darryl has DB monogrammed or engraved on his bathrobe, slippers, cuff links and shirts, not to mention revolvers, he should switch from Nyeti to Dugga Boy, so the initials work for his real life and Internet life. Maybe I should contact Tom and see if we can switch his screen name, but keeping his FTW tag line.

I would actually be great with that. Now that I am old, retired, grumpy as ever and hate the world, Dugga Boy is a much better fit as I have been removed from the front of the herd.

Exactly. Watching large mouth bass explode on a top water frog is a thrill not matched by a trout grabbing a fly.

GJM
09-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Perhaps middle aged and grumpy, but the best part is no longer butt hurt. If you were, think of all the fun we could have had with "DB," and butt hurt.

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Exactly. Watching large mouth bass explode on a top water frog is a thrill not matched by a trout grabbing a fly.

Then have me come there with a top water popping bug and watch how that looks. It's beyond awesome.

And, Ken Null sounded pretty good when I called him. He suggested (strongly) his SMZ for Centennial carry in very polite and well dressed company.

Jeep
09-20-2016, 12:11 PM
A nice five weight fly rod is so much better....

So, who catches more fish?

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2016, 01:17 PM
So, who catches more fish?

Who cares? But, I've absolutely torn up bass, crappie, bream and trout on a fly rod and had tons of fun doing it. It's more from my soul when I'm fly fishing.

Dagga Boy
09-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Who cares? But, I've absolutely torn up bass, crappie, bream and trout on a fly rod and had tons of fun doing it. It's more from my soul when I'm fly fishing.

How do you read a book? Best part of fishing....reading in nature.

orionz06
09-20-2016, 09:56 PM

Footwear gonna get him kilt if he gets near a street.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Dagga Boy
09-21-2016, 07:21 AM
Footwear gonna get him kilt if he gets near a street.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

I'll wear my kilt next time.

TR675
09-21-2016, 09:20 AM

How do they shoot?

Surprisingly great IF (1) you can see the tiny sights (Ruger supposedly improved them a while back) and (2) you can hold onto the gun. I got a Hogue handall for mine that helps a bunch.

I used mine in a walk back drill and consistently made hits on a 6x6 plate at 15-20 yards. I thought that was pretty good for it and for me. I definitely shot it better than my j-frame...

41magfan
09-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Surprisingly great IF (1) you can see the tiny sights (Ruger supposedly improved them a while back) and (2) you can hold onto the gun. I got a Hogue handall for mine that helps a bunch.

I used mine in a walk back drill and consistently made hits on a 6x6 plate at 15-20 yards. I thought that was pretty good for it and for me. I definitely shot it better than my j-frame...

Last Fall, a friend let me shoot his brand new LCP Custom and I did a quick walk-back drill fired at the 3,5,7,10 & 15 yard line. I can't recall if it was 5 or 6 rds fired at each stage but the target represents at least 25 shots fired.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/921/fmJhlh.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plfmJhlhj)

Your comments regarding your J-Frame performance mirrors mine and it's also been my experience that a disproportionate number of folks that cling to their J-Frames tightly can't hit a bull in the ass with them at anything resembling speed or at any distance.

I've got a lot of trigger time with J-Frames and I just cannot duplicate the results I get with the LCP without A LOT more time spent on the range. For comparison, I can run a 6-shot plate rack clean @ 7 yards SHO in 4.8 seconds with my LCP - it takes both hands for me to duplicate that with a J-Frame. Additionally, I can effectively shoot my LCP WHO as well as I can a J-Frame with my dominant hand.

In my world, that's a significant performance difference and the reason my LCP's have largely supplanted the use of my J-Frames. As always, YMMV.

BillSWPA
09-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Last Fall, a friend let me shoot his brand new LCP Custom and I did a quick walk-back drill fired at the 3,5,7,10 & 15 yard line. I can't recall if it was 5 or 6 rds fired at each stage but the target represents at least 25 shots fired.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/921/fmJhlh.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plfmJhlhj)

Your comments regarding your J-Frame performance mirrors mine and it's also been my experience that a disproportionate number of folks that cling to their J-Frames tightly can't hit a bull in the ass with them at anything resembling speed or at any distance.

I've got a lot of trigger time with J-Frames and I just cannot duplicate the results I get with the LCP without A LOT more time spent on the range. For comparison, I can run a 6-shot plate rack clean @ 7 yards SHO in 4.8 seconds with my LCP - it takes both hands for me to duplicate that with a J-Frame. Additionally, I can effectively shoot my LCP WHO as well as I can a J-Frame with my dominant hand.

In my world, that's a significant performance difference and the reason my LCP's have largely supplanted the use of my J-Frames. As always, YMMV.

Extending this point further, while I cannot claim to have anything more than book knowledge of stopping power, everything I have read leads me to the conclusion that accuracy is the single most important factor.