PDA

View Full Version : Fenix UC35- Consensus?

NETim
09-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Christmas is fast approaching. I know some folks who have CHL's and guns but are not dialed in beyond that. (I'm sure people like this are rare. ahem) Anyway, I'm thinking the UC35 would make a good gift for them as everyone knows how important a good light is except these rare folk. Ahem.

https://www.amazon.com/BUNDLE-Rechargeable-Tactical-Flashlight-LegionArms/dp/B00UTY917K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474212039&sr=8-1&keywords=fenix+uc35+rechargeable+led+flashlight

Duelist
09-18-2016, 12:34 PM
I have one. I like it. It is not on my belt or in pocket.

The tail cap switch does not seem to be problem-free: sometimes, it takes a couple of clicks to get it running. Usually, it is fine, but I expect more from a light at this price point. That kind of junky behavior, I'll take from a WalMart $20 light without whinging, because I knew what it was when I picked it up. But not this. It may need some warranty attention.

That aside, this is such a cool light! It has five brightness levels, from 15 to over 900 lumens. At 15, the charge lasts forever. Just sitting around, the charge lasts forever. Even at the brighter levels, it still has good endurance for the brightness. You can run it from high end rechargeable or primary lithium ion CR123 batteries, recharge it with a recharging station or from any standard USB connected to your laptop, desktop, phone charger on a wall, or car. It's got a clickie and momentary tail cap switch, and the level button is separate from the tailcap.

If the switch worked as reliably as it should, I would recommend it unreservedly as a good to great light for anybody to keep around.

psalms144.1
09-18-2016, 01:11 PM
I've had multiple FENIX lights, but not this model. Mine have all been problem-free, and the only reason I don't have one now is I've given all mine away to my friends and family - so I guess I need a new one. I used the P2D, which I guess is now the PD22...

LtDave
09-18-2016, 06:34 PM
I own a lot of flashlights and have used them for almost 30 years as a cop. Nothing at all wrong with Fenix or any one of dozens of other brands out of China. They work great as everyday, general purpose lights. I really like the USB recharging feature. That being said, any flashlight that I carry for use in conjunction with a firearm is going to have a simple on/off switch with no multi-function capability. Too easy to be in the wrong mode at the wrong time. I want on and off. I want the switch easily accessible and on a smaller 123 or 18650 powered light that means a tail switch, and no separate mode switches. I think it is really hard to go wrong with a SureFire of some sort. They don't have all the features or super max lumens you don't need and are pretty much bullet proof. I still have a couple "Laser Products" marked 6P's that have to be 30 years old and are still going strong with LED upgrades.

Blades
09-18-2016, 07:21 PM
People may find it too big and not carry it.

S Jenks
09-18-2016, 09:37 PM
I carry one daily in uniform, clipped in my off-side pocket. As mentioned it's bright as hell, to the point you could use it as a primary. Do I? Nope. Read on:

First, I enjoy having a rechargeable light that I can drop CR123s in if need be. It's great for prolonged calls - K9 tracks through the woods, traffic control at complex scenes, etc. Nice and bright and the output modes do come in handy.

A few things I don't like- the switch issue is something that has recently cropped up with mine. Also, I like to leave the light on full brightness and "dial it down" when needed. If you accidentally press the output button it will go to the lowest setting, which is under one lumen IIRC. To get back to full brightness you have to click the mode selection switch, which is rather small and sometimes takes a second or two to find in the dark, four times to get back to full brightness. Not a good thing if using it in conjunction with a pistol.

My last complaint is it sometimes gets activated while in my pocket after pressing against my baton, usually while sitting or bending to pick something up off the floor. On full brightness the light heats up pretty quickly. I'm at the point now that I get a "phantom" heat sensation every once in a while.

Is it a great light? Yes. Would I recommend it for a primary LE light? No. Great as a backup or utility light (I bring it on overnight hikes along with my headlamp) but Murphy's law with the different output modes aren't smart if you might need immediate illumination.