PDA

View Full Version : A US Sportsman's Rifle Returned from England after WW2

Doug Bowser
09-14-2016, 11:45 AM
A Rifle Returned from England after WW2

During WW2 the British Home Guard did not have enough firearms to arm them. Through the NRA, American Sportsmen donated a large number of various sporting rifles to the Brits. The British were all but disarmed in 1920 and there were very few firearms available to them in their time of need. Our Country should remember how desperate the British people were, for the lack of privately owned firearms. The man who gave me the rifle told me it was sent by his Father and returned after the War.

I was given a Pre-War Savage Model 7 .22 RF Semi-auto rifle. The Savage is a man sized rifle with a 24" barrel and a 5 shot box magazine. It is interesting to note, the magazines are identical to the Remington 500 series. This rifle has an oversized operating handle. Not only is it used to open the bolt but when the bolt is in battery the bolt knob can be pushed to the right and the rifle will not function as a semi-auto. It makes it a straight pull bolt action rifle. The stock is real walnut and it is hand checkered on the pistol grip. The metal finish on the rifle has turned to a light silver-brown color.

Proof marks on the barrel of the Savage

This rifle was one of the arms sent to the British Home Guard during WW2. I have only seen one other firearm that was sent to the British by American Sportsmen. It was a sporterized .30-40 Krag. Most of these rifles were destroyed by the British. The rifle has British proofs on it.

The rifle has open iron sights on it and it shoots groups of 5 at 50 yards under 1".

I feel fortunate that I own a piece of History.

We should NEVER give up our firearms. The British did in 1920 and they might not have been able to ward off the German invasion of their Homeland because the embraced a policy of temporary safety over freedom.

Doug