PDA

View Full Version : Picatinny Questions

okie john
09-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Over time, I have accumulated several bolt action hunting rifles that use a variety of ring and base systems. I prefer smaller, lighter scopes, which limits ring spacing, which in turn complicates getting the eye relief right. I'd like to find one system to rule them all. I don't need a super lightweight solution for any of them. Right now I'm thinking of putting one-piece Picatinny rails on everything. That way I can use the ring spacing that makes sense for the scope, and use placement on the rail to adjust for eye relief.

Does that make sense? What am I overlooking? Any recommendations on brands?

Thanks,

Okie John

ASH556
09-14-2016, 10:32 AM
John,
Weight aside, the biggest downside is access to the loading port. Those continuous pic rails can be a PITA. Then again, if all your bolts are mag fed, who cares?

okie john
09-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Good point.

Actually, I have no DBMs--they're all top-feeders. The biggest issue is getting correct eye relief on a Model 70 in 30/06 and a Model 700 in 7mm Magnum with short-tube scopes.

Okie John

ASH556
09-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Good point.

Actually, I have no DBMs--they're all top-feeders. The biggest issue is getting correct eye relief on a Model 70 in 30/06 and a Model 700 in 7mm Magnum with short-tube scopes.

I get it. I tend to prefer smaller scopes (and usually Leupold) myseld. L helps by having longer eye relief usually. Aside from that, offset bases is all I can think (which at that point, if you're blocking some of the port anyway you might as well go full on Picatinny.) As far as MFR, I've had good luck with Nightforce, lighter weight than some others, but also more money. Maybe Warne for a budget option?