PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the Star D+Super "P"

Doug Bowser
09-12-2016, 11:19 PM
SHOOTING THE STAR SUPER “P” IN .45 ACP

This Star Super P was made in 1961. It was fired very little by it's former owner. The Box and all the papers came with it. The quality of the pistol is amazing. It looks like a 1911 design but it is not. There is no grip safety, the trigger is hinged, the barrel locks up like a Browning High Power, the safety can be applied when the pistol is at half cock or full cock, there is a takedown lever on the right side of the pistol for easy field stripping and the firing pin protrudes from the breech face when the hammer is down. The trigger on this pistol is quite crisp but not light. As I received it, the rear sight notch was too narrow. I had to open it up. The grip at the tang is not very long and the pistol has a wide spur trigger. This combination causes the web of my hand between the thumb and forefinger to come to grief. I have to roll the pistol into my hand to keep my hand from getting blood blisters.

Star SUPER "P"

I have tested this pistol with USGI 230 GR Ball ammo and 225 GR Lee RN cast lead. The accuracy was about 5" at 25 yards with one hand. I decided to try my favorite Bullseye Pistol load: 200 GR H&G #130 with 3.9 GR Bullseye. I was concerned that the load might not function the pistol. My concerns were unfounded and it functioned with both magazines furnished with the pistol. The accuracy level was amazing for a service grade semi-auto pistol.

US ARMY "L" Target fired at 25 yards with 4.5” Black

The above target was fired one handed and the pistol shot 1.5" to the left as it came from the factory but the elevation was nearly perfect with the 200 GR load. I drew a witness mark on the rear sight and frame with a sharp lead pencil. The first 4 shots went to the left and a bit high. I drifted the rear sight with a brass punch a bit more than the width of the pencil mark and fired 3 more shots. They are the three shots on the right of the black. I drifted the sight half way back to the left and fired 5 shots. These are the shots in the center of the x and just to the left of center. I also dropped a shot to 6 o'clock just touching the 10 ring. I held a small amount of white below the black when firing the last 5 shots. This is very acceptable accuracy for a service grade pistol. I will try this handgun out in our Vintage Military Handgun Match on 11/9/13.

In 1970, I had two Star SUPER P semi-auto pistols when I lived in Florida. One was a .45 ACP and the other a .38 Super. The pistols cost me a whopping $65 each, new in the box. After my experiences with this particular pistol, I think it is a shame Star quit making them. Remember, in 1970, the price of a new 1911 commercial Colt .45 was $125.00. That made the Star a great value.

Jim Watson
09-13-2016, 08:21 AM
That's neat.
I have not seen a Super P outside reference books, and here you are with one that shoots.

the firing pin protrudes from the breech face when the hammer is down.

Ah, yes, I had a college classmate who managed to shoot himself in the foot because he thought it was like a Colt and safe with the hammer down. I don't know if his was a P or Super P or PD, though, just a "Star .45." in those days.

Doug Bowser
09-14-2016, 05:26 AM
That's neat.
I have not seen a Super P outside reference books, and here you are with one that shoots.

Ah, yes, I had a college classmate who managed to shoot himself in the foot because he thought it was like a Colt and safe with the hammer down. I don't know if his was a P or Super P or PD, though, just a "Star .45." in those days.

No Star pistols of any caliber are safe with the hammer down on a loaded chamber.