PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Pad

Shotgun
09-11-2016, 11:22 PM
What is the best recoil pad (grind fit, no slip ons) for a bolt action hunting rifle these days? My GoogleFu is revealing Limbsaver and Decelerator, but I am not finding any objective study, if one exists, regarding which pad performs best.

GJM
09-11-2016, 11:31 PM
What is the best recoil pad (grind fit, no slip ons) for a bolt action hunting rifle these days? My GoogleFu is revealing Limbsaver and Decelerator, but I am not finding any objective study, if one exists, regarding which pad performs best.

The Limbsaver does a fantastic job with heavier recoiling guns, and I use it exclusively for that purpose. It can be a bit sticky when mounting the rifle for a quick shot, and the decelerator, especially the sporting clays model, can allow easier mounting of the gun on rifles with less recoil.

Jaywalker
09-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Though this may be well past timely, I have Pachmayr Decelerator Sporting Clay http://www.pachmayr.com/home/SC100.php on a shotgun and a rifle. If you note in the picture the black at the heel, that's a harder rubber that prevents the softer rubber from dragging under the armpit, allowing a cleaner mount. Mine are black on black and are harder to see a difference in materials. I suspect GJM's Limbsaver suggestion would be better if pure recoil reduction is the key, but I've been happy with my compromise for over 20 years.