PDA

View Full Version : J-frame pocket holster

Irelander
09-08-2016, 09:27 AM
What are you guys using for a pocket holster for your revolvers? I have been carrying my 642 in my own crappy milk jug holster for a while but I am carrying the j-frame more now and would like a proper pocket holster. I'd like kydex but could be talked into leather.

I was just made aware of the Aholster Backbone pocket holster (http://shop.aholster.com/product.sc?productId=12&categoryId=1). Looks neat.

What's your recommendation?

Dagga Boy
09-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Safariland #25. Easily obtained, not very expensive, fast, and works with lots of different snubs.

APS-PF
09-08-2016, 09:57 AM
For the soft holsters, the desantis nemesis has the best cut around the trigger guard. Unlike the other sack holsters you can't really pinch the holster onto the gun with your middle finger during the draw stroke with the nemesis.
For leather I like the Kramer which has a easily repeatable release if you draw directly up and rake it against the front of your pocket.
On kydex... I have tried the grandfather oak model and gotta say that shape around the bottom edge of the cylinder quickly became uncomfortable rubbing against my thigh. I can see that might be an issue with the aholster you linked. Also that open design will just allow more fuzz to get in.

BillSWPA
09-08-2016, 11:07 AM
My favorite pocket holster is a DeSantis Superfly, which is similar to a Nemesis but has an anti-print panel, which significantly enhances concealment by making the bulge less gun-shaped.

Kydex is not a good choice for a pocket holster. A pocket holster is not anchored to a belt, and needs to release the gun easily.

UNK
09-08-2016, 11:17 AM
I have the second one. It's kydex. I like it.

http://shop.aholster.com/product.sc?productId=12&categoryId=1
http://shop.aholster.com/product.sc?productId=1&categoryId=1

UNK
09-08-2016, 11:25 AM
I just ordered one of these as recommended by LSP972. On the website it list two different weight leathers being used in the holster but again as I understood to be spec'd by LSP972 I asked for the whole holster to be made out of the lighter weight of leather.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18602-How-can-you-not-have-a-pocket-carry-option&p=402838&viewfull=1#post402838

APS-PF
09-08-2016, 12:42 PM
I just ordered one of these as recommended by LSP972.

I could be too picky... but the problem I found with that model is that section adjacent to the trigger guard would sometimes foul my initial grip.

fatdog
09-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Mika
https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

Duelist
09-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Mika's has a good reputation. I personally use a horsehide pocket holster for most of my pocket gun duties. Rough side out, and one or two shaped hooks to keep the holster in the pocket on the draw.

SAWBONES
09-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Mika

Yup.

Among the most comfortable and softest, plus makes less of a bulge than any of the leather examples.

I have examples for J-frames in leather and synthetics from Pocket Concealment, Alessi, Null, DeSantis and a few others, and the Mika is the one that has gotten the most use.

Irelander
09-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Yup.

Among the most comfortable and softest, plus makes less of a bulge than any of the leather examples.

I have examples for J-frames in leather and synthetics from Pocket Concealment, Alessi, Null, DeSantis and a few others, and the Mika is the one that has gotten the most use.

They appear padded to me and look like they would make more of a bulge than say a kydex holster or the RKBA holster. But I know looks can be deceiving.

ssb
09-08-2016, 02:43 PM
I use either an Uncle Mike's #3 or a Mika depending on my pants.

I find the Uncle Mike's makes the gun look something like a wallet or cell phone -- presents a rectangular profile when it prints. Bigger pockets get the Mika.

Willard
09-08-2016, 02:52 PM
I have been well pleased with either the Mika or Safariland #25. Safariland #25 is probably a little faster with the plastic liner, but both are fine.

Kram
09-08-2016, 03:03 PM
VERY happy with my Raven Concealment 642 pocket holster.

JodyH
09-08-2016, 03:36 PM
El Paso Saddlery, RKBA Holsters, or Kramer depending on the pocket.

Irelander
09-08-2016, 03:45 PM
VERY happy with my Raven Concealment 642 pocket holster.

Was this a custom or something they offer off the shelf?

JodyH
09-08-2016, 03:56 PM
I don't know how people use kydex pocket holsters. When I tried one it made my leg hot and sweaty and the kydex rubbed hot spots as well.
Hated it.
Even my ultra stiff horsehide Kramer is more comfortable.
Of course I drive 6000 miles a month in the desert southwest so that may have something to do with it...

Leroy Suggs
09-08-2016, 04:27 PM
I don't know how people use kydex pocket holsters. When I tried one it made my leg hot and sweaty and the kydex rubbed hot spots as well.
Hated it.
Even my ultra stiff horsehide Kramer is more comfortable.
Of course I drive 6000 miles a month in the desert southwest so that may have something to do with it...

Jody do you have fat legs?;):D The Aholster is the best pocket holster for a J I have used.
Thin, formed to your leg, draws fast, and stays put.

SAWBONES
09-08-2016, 05:16 PM
They appear padded to me and look like they would make more of a bulge than say a kydex holster or the RKBA holster. But I know looks can be deceiving.

Not padded, but made of a springy cloth-backed polymer, with a tacky band stitched to the central area of the holster to help retention in the pocket.
Over time, the holster conforms somewhat to both the carried gun and to your underlying leg shape.
It looks cheap (and is quite inexpensive) but works well for a 1 7/8" barrel J-frame IME.

I don't have any experience with Kydex pocket holsters, just cloth and leather types, but I would think Kydex would be among the hardest to effectively conceal due to its rigid structure. (I have lots of Kydex belt holsters.)

Kram
09-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Was this a custom or something they offer off the shelf?

It took about a month to get once ordered off the website. I have tried and sold many of the other brands mentioned. I prefer kydex as it worked and felt the best for me.

JodyH
09-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Jody do you have fat legs?;):D
Are toothpicks fat?

Irelander
09-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Wow. It seems that people's preference in pocket holsters is about as varied as AIWB holsters.

UNK
09-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Just went back to A Holster website. I noticed on the pocket holster it says to push to front or rear and pull straight up. I don't have to do that with my A holster. Straight up pull and its out.
I do like that the backbone is shortened to deal with shallower pockets. it also has a three week lead time.

JodyH
09-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Wow. It seems that people's preference in pocket holsters is about as varied as AIWB holsters.
Worse.
I can get by with one AIWB holster, I have 3 different pocket holsters depending on which pants I'm wearing.

Poconnor
09-09-2016, 07:35 PM
I have been using a Kramer pocket holster for j frames for at least 15 years

LSP552
09-09-2016, 07:48 PM
I have been using a Kramer pocket holster for j frames for at least 15 years

At least 25 years for me....same holster actually. And it gets used a lot.

ACP230
09-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Uncle Mike's No. 3 is what I keep coming back to.
I have a Mika I use as a coat pocket holster.

UNK
09-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Details :-) inquiring minds need to know. all for j frames or also for pistol?

Worse.
I can get by with one AIWB holster, I have 3 different pocket holsters depending on which pants I'm wearing.

LtDave
09-09-2016, 09:00 PM
I have the second one. It's kydex. I like it.

http://shop.aholster.com/product.sc?productId=12&categoryId=1
http://shop.aholster.com/product.sc?productId=1&categoryId=1

I have several of the second one for both autos and revolvers. My favorite.

JodyH
09-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Details :-) inquiring minds need to know. all for j frames or also for pistol?
J-Frame:
Kramer for tighter pockets with slash openings to catch the "hook" on the holster, smallest profile but gets "lost" in bigger pockets.
RKBA for larger pockets, fast smooth draw but smooth exterior leather as well so "slick" pocket lining materials like smooth cotton don't work so well.
El Paso Saddlery for larger pockets that have smooth pocket linings since the EPS is rough out and has double "ears" to catch on the pocket opening so it's less reliant on friction.

PM9:
Safariland for small pockets
El Paso Saddlery for everything else.

The little kydex BORAII Eagle snap on kydex work real well on my PPS and PM9 for a quick easy option.

Leroy Suggs
09-09-2016, 09:24 PM
I have several of the second one for both autos and revolvers. My favorite.

I have one for a Shield and it works very well.

Frank R
09-10-2016, 01:28 AM

Very good quality.

OnionsAndDragons
09-10-2016, 08:49 AM
I like the Safariland 25 I think it is for regular pocket. I like kydex on a moduloader for cargos or in my kilt pocket.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-10-2016, 10:42 AM
I use DeSantis nowadays. Interesting observation. I have a G42 and wanted to carry an extra mag in another cargo pocket. Digging in the graveyard of holsters I found an old Uncle Mike's and put the mag in that. Later when I took the mag out, it was stick and the first round had some black goo on it. Huh, feeling inside the holster, the something in there had become sticky - yuk. It was pretty old, perhaps 15 years.

CSW
09-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Desantis Nemisis for the 642.

LSP972
09-19-2016, 01:49 PM
What are you guys using for a pocket holster for your revolvers? I have been carrying my 642 in my own crappy milk jug holster for a while but I am carrying the j-frame more now and would like a proper pocket holster. I'd like kydex but could be talked into leather.

I was just made aware of the Aholster Backbone pocket holster (http://shop.aholster.com/product.sc?productId=12&categoryId=1). Looks neat.

What's your recommendation?

Agreed, it looks neat. I just tried to order one; and kept getting error indicators that my billing and shipping address- which are the same- were NOT the same, and wrong. I think not. Whatever, they can keep their shit. The one thing that pisses me off the most about on-line ordering is this sort of thing... And there is no contact number, " write us a little note and we'll get back to you as soon as we can."

Uh, no. You want to sell stuff? Have somebody ready during business hours to support your customers... Particularly when said customer has plastic in his grubby little hand, but YOUR web site is shutting him down when all he is doing is what the game plan says to do.

Too bad, so sad. I was wanting to try it. Normally, I think thin leather is better for pocket carry, but that holster has a few interesting concepts.

To answer your question, I have been using RKBA pocket holsters for over 10 years now. I requested that mine be made of single layer cowhide; he normally uses two layers, because it is much stouter. He didn't want to use just one layer, but he did. And you know what? All three of the ones he built for me are still serviceable; and that first one was used daily for over five years.

Thin leather is the way to go, because it will "adjust itself" a bit as you wear it in the same place each day. I have tried many of the different types out there, and the RKBA single-layer offering beats them all quite soundly... IMO, of course. The slot cut to expose the cylinder in that Aholster kydex thing is an apparent genius stroke. Too bad they don't make it easy to order.

Now, in all honesty, my 'puter-geek brother says I'm a dyed-in-the-wool troglodyte when it comes to computer/internet stuff... But how difficult can it be to fill in blanks with specified information???

Whatever. Anybody who has better luck and actually gets one, please let us know what you think.

Erick Gelhaus
09-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Started with a Kramer pocket holster - horsehide with kydex. When that started to soften up where it hooked the pocket, I bought a Mika pocket holster. Used it for a couple years with a J frame. When I had to switch to a Shield as a back-up, I picked up a Mika specific to the Shield. I'm quite happy with them.

LSP972
09-19-2016, 03:18 PM
I had been using those Uncle Mike's #3 sausage sacks when pocket carrying, but I usually carried my Js AIWB when off- duty. Then,
I moved down here to the FTU, met LSP552, and learned a TON more about carrying concealed. Having been a road trooper for my entire ten years thus far, and not really caring who saw- or thought about- whatever iron I was toting around when out of uniform, working with Ken... who had been plain clothes most of HIS ten-plus years... was a real learning experience.

The first thing I bought was a Kramer, just like his. I still have that puppy, and it is still perfectly serviceable. But it is THICK. It has that thick pad stitched to the outer surface, which does indeed make it look like a wallet... a big motorcycle wallet. Still, it does the job; I wore it every week-end for a very long time.

The skinny examples, like the Mika (retired LAPD dude who has a bit of trigger time), my favored RKBA, and a few others, simply don't show at all... unless you're wearing a cod piece or tight jeans. I won't go there any farther, but really???

Any way... As has been mentioned, this too is an extremely subjective matter that depends on many variables.

LtDave
09-19-2016, 03:38 PM
I don't have any of the RKBA pocket holsters, but I REALLY like his pocket mag and speedstrip carriers. Pretty much standardized on the Aholster kydex stuff for the guns. Website worked for me, but I have a Mac. :cool:

Leroy Suggs
09-19-2016, 05:14 PM
@LSP972
I have ordered several pocket holsters from Aholster with no problems whatsoever.
He has good comms by email too.

I think you will really like his pocket holster. I know I do.

Give him another try.

SeriousStudent
09-19-2016, 06:41 PM
I will second LSP972's recommendation of the RKBA holsters. I have two that are carried almost daily, and they still look great.

LSP972
09-19-2016, 06:59 PM
@LSP972
I have ordered several pocket holsters from Aholster with no problems whatsoever.
He has good comms by email too.

I think you will really like his pocket holster. I know I do.

Give him another try.

Okay, I will. But strike two kills it.

Thanks for the insight.

LSP972
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
It went through that time, hubcap. Of course, they give you a phone number on the invoice... AFTER you have placed your order.

One wonders why you don't see the number when you need it... Oh well.

Thanks again.

Irelander
09-23-2016, 03:31 PM
I found this while perusing an older PF thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?245-Pocket-holster-for-a-J-frame/page2) on pocket holsters.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47624012/PCS_Blackbird.PNG

I like it. Good price too.

UNK
09-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Same here. What size glove do you wear?

I could be too picky... but the problem I found with that model is that section adjacent to the trigger guard would sometimes foul my initial grip.

Guinnessman
12-02-2018, 10:13 AM
I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead. While carrying a J-Frame last week, I realized how much it printed in my newest jeans using a Desantis Nemesis Holster. It’s time to find a better holster option, and I came across this from Blue Force Gear:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/gear/pocket-holster

Let me know what you all think!

Leroy Suggs
12-02-2018, 10:53 AM
I apologize for bringing this thread back from the dead. While carrying a J-Frame last week, I realized how much it printed in my newest jeans using a Desantis Nemesis Holster. It’s time to find a better holster option, and I came across this from Blue Force Gear:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/gear/pocket-holster

Let me know what you all think!

I think the Aholster would be much better for a thin holster.

sharps54
12-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Question for those with an Aholster, does yours have any retention? I bought one of their j frame pocket holsters and the fit is very loose. I tried three different revolvers (older prelock 38 & 649 and new no lock 442) and all are looser in it then in my Nemesis which is remaining my default for now.

blues
12-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Question for those with an Aholster, does yours have any retention? I bought one of their j frame pocket holsters and the fit is very loose. I tried three different revolvers (older prelock 38 & 649 and new no lock 442) and all are looser in it then in my Nemesis which is remaining my default for now.

Mine fits the gun like a second skin, but is lightning quick to retrieve the 642 from the pocket. It will not retain the gun in a tussle and I don't think they are intended to. (A distinct drawback if one considers that they may have to travel a bumpy road up the "use of force continuum" prior to drawing a weapon.)

I've gotten away from pocket carry for that reason (for the most part) and rely instead on my tried and true DSG J frame holster carried AIWB. (That said, there are occasions when one of my pocket holsters fits the bill.)

sharps54
12-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Mine fits the gun like a second skin, but is lightning quick to retrieve the 642 from the pocket. It will not retain the gun in a tussle and I don't think they are intended to. (A distinct drawback if one considers that they may have to travel a bumpy road up the "use of force continuum" prior to drawing a weapon.)

I've gotten away from pocket carry for that reason (for the most part) and rely instead on my tried and true DSG J frame holster carried AIWB. (That said, there are occasions when one of my pocket holsters fits the bill.)

By second skin do you mean it is very thin and unobtrusive? Mine is all those things and holds the revolver upright in my pocket so I can get a repeatable grip, those are all good things. My concern is that the gun slips in and out as if the holster isn’t there, it isn’t that I can hold the holster upside and the gun falls out it is that I can hold the holster at a 95 degree angle and the gun slides out.

blues
12-02-2018, 11:58 AM
By second skin do you mean it is very thin and unobtrusive? Mine is all those things and holds the revolver upright in my pocket so I can get a repeatable grip, those are all good things. My concern is that the gun slips in and out as if the holster isn’t there, it isn’t that I can hold the holster upside and the gun falls out it is that I can hold the holster at a 95 degree angle and the gun slides out.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

You can see by comparing to the first image...that the 642 has begun a bit of travel but is still not falling free of the holster (yet).

sharps54
12-02-2018, 12:09 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

You can see by comparing to the first image...that the 642 has begun a bit of travel but is still not falling free of the holster (yet).

Thanks! I’ll dig mine out this afternoon to compare but that definitely answers my question!

Willard
12-02-2018, 02:49 PM
From the pictures, I think mine is a much loser fit on my 442 than Blues. There is little to no retention, but it is fast. I like it, but have mostly transitioned to a Kramer for pocket carry. Bulkier, but breaks up the outline and is a little more secure. Not faulting the A-Holster. It is very thin and unobtrusive as was noted. For belt carry, I agree on the DSG.

blues
12-02-2018, 02:54 PM
From the pictures, I think mine is a much loser fit on my 442 than Blues. There is little to no retention, but it is fast. I like it, but have mostly transitioned to a Kramer for pocket carry. Bulkier, but breaks up the outline and is a little more secure. Not faulting the A-Holster. It is very thin and unobtrusive as was noted. For belt carry, I agree on the DSG.

I carry it on sweats and sweat shorts and the like without issue. No belt needed as long as the waistband is reasonably taut. (Of course this is only around home and environs.)

Willard
12-02-2018, 03:17 PM
I carry it on sweats and sweat shorts and the like without issue. No belt needed as long as the waistband is reasonably taut. (Of course this is only around home and environs.)

Was using belt carry loosely. You're point is better made & I've done the same. Excellent piece of kit even sans belt.