PDA

View Full Version : Silk Kashmir Rugs......and buying other stuff in foreign markets

TGS
09-05-2016, 09:16 PM
So I recently got back from India and returned with 3 rugs, supposedly Kashmir silk. I say supposed, as Agra is apparently a huge powerhouse for rug production these days (particularly for Iran in the name of "Persian Rugs"). So, it's entirely possibly my rugs were made in Agra, not Kashmir.

Anyway, I paid $2500 for all 3, down from $3267. It appears that the larger of the 3 rugs would likely cost up to $3300 on its own if bought in the US. All 3 are of slightly different quality, so I'm guessing that if I was more knowledgeable about the finer details then I would have easily been able to haggle down to $2k or so.

So, any experts in Kashmir rugs here? Any one want to share other fun experiences on treasures from abroad? Here's a couple of the rugs I bought:

Luke
09-05-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm still pretty young, so I'm hoping one day I'll be buying $3,000 rugs. Until then, the zebra striped rug we got for free will have to do.

Kyle Reese
09-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Sweet rugs, bro. I dropped about a grand on a few rugs a decade ago in Baghdad. Not nearly as nice as your examples.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Jim Watson
09-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Nice.
I bought real oriental rugs for the Replacement House from a real oriental rug merchant. But he was doing business in the front aisle of Tampa Costco. So maybe not the very finest, but they still look better and cost much less than what I was looking at near home.