PDA

View Full Version : Dark Star Gear Auction

Dark Star Gear
09-05-2016, 06:57 PM
We're gonna try something new for our new AIWB/IWB holster. We're gonna do an open auction. It might flop, it might work well. Gonna run this until Wednesday night at midnight. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to Pistol-Forum, in fact you won't even pay DSG. There will be 4 holsters up for grabs, pics to follow this post. Each holster will come with a claw, soft loops, and a metal spring clip. The winner can let me know how it will ship by email and the remaining hardware will be bagged.

Holster details:
We've had numerous iterations of AIWB design using many variations of the appendix specific features (belt wedge, claw/wing, muzzle wedge, and muzzle extension) as well as a few variations of IWB design. The overwhelming favorite is a Summer Special II variant. Basic, clean, and just works. The less than recent release of the RCS Vanguard claw makes it awful hard to ignore as a holster maker though. Claw/wing based holsters work well for lots of people. This doesn't mean we're ditching the belt wedge, they have their own perks, but of our new models the IWB was first and the claw happens to fit. This allows us to make a better finished product that has more potential for the end user. It is Gen 5/G17M compatible. The rub.... Right handed only. This excludes only a few but we'll get you guys and gals at some point to. Financially speaking right handers run the show for us. These will retail somewhere around $80 for the basic IWB to around $100 for a single attachment with claw.

http://i.imgur.com/cgHtlPxh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2X1Oks3h.jpg

Auction colors: Orange, Blue, Grey twill, Black.

Rules: Post the holster color and your price, nothing more. You can make multiple bids per post. P-F will get all the money, DSG will pay shipping.

Orange: $50
Blue: $50
Grey twill: $50
Black: $50

Disclaimer: The proceeds will be part of my 2016 site sponsorship payment. If the sum exceeds the balance due then P-F wins. If the sum does not meet the balance due DSG covers the rest. The sole purpose is to have a little fun along the way.

Dark Star Gear
09-05-2016, 06:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4HsxwL3h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/07MWKiqh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1wKrG7Yh.jpg

voodoo_man
09-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Orange $80

backtrail540
09-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Black $65

WobblyPossum
09-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Blue: $65

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamara
09-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Grey twill: $70

Chuck Haggard
09-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Orange $100

Blue $100

Ob1sbo
09-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Orange: $110

Hot Sauce
09-06-2016, 01:07 AM
black: 70

backtrail540
09-06-2016, 01:33 AM
Black $80

voodoo_man
09-06-2016, 04:33 AM
Orange $120

Black $90

JHC
09-06-2016, 07:03 AM
I have two of these. They are most comfortable rigs I've used.

ssb
09-06-2016, 10:01 AM
$120 on blue.

backtrail540
09-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Grey twill $75

WobblyPossum
09-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Grey twill $85

Aray
09-07-2016, 06:35 AM
I have one in red, solid holster. Outrigger tucks it very well.

BobLoblaw
09-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Black $100

Dark Star Gear
09-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Black $100

Grey twill $85

$120 on blue.

Orange $120

Thanks much! This went over well. The winners can email me with their P-F screen name and preferred attachment for outta the box. If it's soft loops I can trim and round them to you preferred size as well, please indicate such in email. The rest of the parts will be mocked up for easy install as well. Complete the donation here: https://www.paypal.me/pistolforum

Once Tom confirms they'll get packed up via USPS flat rate.

Everyone else... Cool idea or hokey? Worth doing again? It got the forum $400 which goes towards all the gift cards Mr. White wins so he'll at least dig it. Seriously though, anything good or bad feel free to post it. My biggest fear was that it would be a lame way to pay my bills but I do feel it's quite transparent and given that it's voluntary and we had some good people bidding it can't be that bad.

voodoo_man
09-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Paid.

Awesome idea and with this type of thing everyone wins.

WobblyPossum
09-08-2016, 06:27 AM
Just paid. I thought it was a great idea too.

BobLoblaw
09-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Paid. I like this idea as well. Thanks Tom.

OnionsAndDragons
09-08-2016, 08:42 AM
I can see the inclination to think it's hokey. But, I think it works and people like to bid on stuff.

This is a place that encourages good natured and positive competition. I think this sort of auction sale fits that philosophy.

ssb
09-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Paid.

Personally I think this was a win-win for everybody. Good idea -- hopefully it'll happen more in the future.

Aray
09-09-2016, 08:02 AM
I think it's a pretty good idea.

Dark Star Gear
09-11-2016, 10:35 PM
All holsters are out, tracking info sent out.

Thanks again!

WobblyPossum
09-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Got mine today. I'm wearing it now doing some dry fire. I love the level of retention, the options for ride height, and the small footprint on the belt. With my build, I need some kind of wedge at the muzzle end to really tuck the grip/slide end towards my body. I still have a Dr. Scholl's heel pad left from when I was messing around with those. I just have to pick up some velcro tape. Once I get some kind of muzzle wedge on there, this holster will likely replace my Raven Concealment Eidolon, which I like but absolutely hated the weak retention of. I'm really digging this DSG holster so far.

Dark Star Gear
09-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Got mine today. I'm wearing it now doing some dry fire. I love the level of retention, the options for ride height, and the small footprint on the belt. With my build, I need some kind of wedge at the muzzle end to really tuck the grip/slide end towards my body. I still have a Dr. Scholl's heel pad left from when I was messing around with those. I just have to pick up some velcro tape. Once I get some kind of muzzle wedge on there, this holster will likely replace my Raven Concealment Eidolon, which I like but absolutely hated the weak retention of. I'm really digging this DSG holster so far.

Oh, don't you worry... Fuck that shoe insert. Got something that you'll love in the works.

WobblyPossum
09-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Oh, don't you worry... Fuck that shoe insert. Got something that you'll love in the works.

Oh you tease. ;)

ssb
09-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Received the holster today and after a few dry draws I wore it to dinner to get a feel for how it rides.

Initial impressions:
- As with my other DSG products, it's very well made.
- Concealment is equal to or better than my Eidolon with a similar ride height (excellent).
- Retention is a solid pop and takes a fair bit of force to overcome, after which it's basically a gun bucket. It's not quite as smooth out as the Eidolon, however -- the top of the holster seems to provide some drag. Wearing good leather for the past two months has spoiled me on the drawstroke, and thus I had to re-acquaint myself with a kydex draw.
- Comfort is very good. The thin-ness of the holster really shines here.
- The clip is very stable.
- Changing the ride height on the clip isn't fun, but that's a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing.

BobLoblaw
09-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Tom, I was going to send you an email but this will do. You've outdone yourself. I've owned almost all the true AIWBs at one point or another. This is my favorite. I second everything ssb said except I'm more of a kydex guy now and I vastly prefer your method of retention. Makes for a smooth draw and more importantly, a predictable reholster (if it isn't easy, stop cuz something's fucky). All around it is very well thought out.

Also, I'm developing a sympathy bump of freshman proportions (growing faster than she is) so I'm very interested to hear what you come up with regarding wedge tech.

Thanks again!

Dark Star Gear
09-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Received the holster today and after a few dry draws I wore it to dinner to get a feel for how it rides.

Initial impressions:
- As with my other DSG products, it's very well made.
- Concealment is equal to or better than my Eidolon with a similar ride height (excellent).
- Retention is a solid pop and takes a fair bit of force to overcome, after which it's basically a gun bucket. It's not quite as smooth out as the Eidolon, however -- the top of the holster seems to provide some drag. Wearing good leather for the past two months has spoiled me on the drawstroke, and thus I had to re-acquaint myself with a kydex draw.
- Comfort is very good. The thin-ness of the holster really shines here.
- The clip is very stable.
- Changing the ride height on the clip isn't fun, but that's a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing.

Removing the retention/claw screws helps. I assembled 50 of them this weekend in like 20 minutes. Probably should mention that somewhere.

The retention is quite adjustable. Top and bottom influence how the click feels. The bottom down a half turn will open the top and make it feel faster.

Curious on the drag as the clearances built in are as generous as ever with my stuff.

Tom, I was going to send you an email but this will do. You've outdone yourself. I've owned almost all the true AIWBs at one point or another. This is my favorite. I second everything ssb said except I'm more of a kydex guy now and I vastly prefer your method of retention. Makes for a smooth draw and more importantly, a predictable reholster (if it isn't easy, stop cuz something's fucky). All around it is very well thought out.

Also, I'm developing a sympathy bump of freshman proportions (growing faster than she is) so I'm very interested to hear what you come up with regarding wedge tech.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear! I've had around 5 different design ideas dating back to 2010 or so and have evolved them all. I REALLY wanted to avoid the RCS claw just because I didn't wanna clone another holster but it's hard to avoid given how well it works. This has become close to the elusive plastic 5Shot SME I've been working on since the first teaser pic was posted.

Any complaints or suggestions please pass along.

As for the pad... It's just a time issue. Too many irons in the fire. I'll have a tester out to all the folks here soon though.

Dark Star Gear
09-19-2016, 10:28 AM
We haven't officially released this yet as its not final. Won't see changes meaningful to the user but production isn't finalized. In the mean time we're making them anyway and treating it as a soft release. If interested shoot us an email. They're right handed Glock only so if you're shooting a 19/17 you're in luck.

Ob1sbo
09-19-2016, 07:13 PM
This has become close to the elusive plastic 5Shot SME I've been working on since the first teaser pic was posted.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160920/98a902939b851385d002bb1f3b45c0b2.jpg

I have been dreaming of a kydex sme as well [emoji28]

orionz06
09-19-2016, 08:24 PM
They break. We've got limited ability to allow plastic to flex and a kydex SME exceeds that ability. Kydex T, Kydex 100, and Boltaron 4332 are all quite close and just don't cut it.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

orionz06
09-19-2016, 08:30 PM
They break. We've got limited ability to allow plastic to flex and a kydex SME exceeds that ability. Kydex T, Kydex 100, and Boltaron 4332 are all quite close and just don't cut it.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

SpyderMan2k4
09-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Vaporware

blues
09-22-2016, 04:37 PM
We haven't officially released this yet as its not final. Won't see changes meaningful to the user but production isn't finalized. In the mean time we're making them anyway and treating it as a soft release. If interested shoot us an email. They're right handed Glock only so if you're shooting a 19/17 you're in luck.

I decided to get in on the fun and as luck would have it, Tom already had one pressed in the color I wanted...so I'll be camping out by the mailbox over the next couple of days.

I asked Tom to provide an image showing what the grip / belt clearance looked like and he was kind enough to supply the following image.

http://s12.postimg.org/sl8ugidnx/dark_star_holster_Edited.jpg

Dark Star Gear
09-22-2016, 10:21 PM
I decided to get in on the fun and as luck would have it, Tom already had one pressed in the color I wanted...so I'll be camping out by the mailbox over the next couple of days.

I asked Tom to provide an image showing what the grip / belt clearance looked like and he was kind enough to supply the following image.

http://s12.postimg.org/sl8ugidnx/dark_star_holster_Edited.jpg

That's the middle setting with a smidge over 1/4" either way with room to go much lower.

blues
09-23-2016, 07:49 AM
I think that setting "should" work for me. I can't see going any lower but I might consider going higher.

Should know late this afternoon since the USPS site shows the holster arrived at the local P.O. this morning.

Regardless, thanks Tom for hooking me up so quickly. :cool:

WobblyPossum
09-23-2016, 07:57 AM
I've been wearing mine all week without a muzzle wedge, including on two runs around 2.5 miles. I'm a big fan but I'm at the edge of my seat waiting for the wedge to come out. Concealment without it is adequate but not quite perfect. It works in a untucked button up shirt but not a t-shirt, for example.

blues
09-23-2016, 08:56 AM
I've been wearing mine all week without a muzzle wedge, including on two runs around 2.5 miles. I'm a big fan but I'm at the edge of my seat waiting for the wedge to come out. Concealment without it is adequate but not quite perfect. It works in a untucked button up shirt but not a t-shirt, for example.

Thanks, Dan. Useful info. I'll be interested to see how it works with the claw (and no wedge) in my own case.

I'm also very curious how the added length will feel since I'll be using the holster for both a 19 and 26 if all the stars align.

WobblyPossum
09-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Dan. Useful info. I'll be interested to see how it works with the claw (and no wedge) in my own case.

I'm also very curious how the added length will feel since I'll be using the holster for both a 19 and 26 if all the stars align.

If it helps, I'm using the holster for a G19. I don't have a 26 or 17. I'm a tall, thin guy (5'11", 150 lbs, 31" waist and approximately 38-39" chest). I prefer G17 holsters because they feel more stable due to the added length.

blues
09-23-2016, 11:12 AM
If it helps, I'm using the holster for a G19. I don't have a 26 or 17. I'm a tall, thin guy (5'11", 150 lbs, 31" waist and approximately 38-39" chest). I prefer G17 holsters because they feel more stable due to the added length.

Yeah, different body types. 5'10", 175. We shall see. Appreciate the added data points.

blues
09-23-2016, 09:52 PM

Dan, if you're interested I posted some thoughts on the holster (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22391-Review-Dark-Star-Gear-AIWB-amp-JMCK-quot-George-quot-Holsters) earlier today...

Dark Star Gear
12-02-2016, 12:26 AM
We've not got the final model sorted yet so we won't do a "formal" release just yet so we'll bump this thread. If you don't need an optic cut you're in luck, since The Gadget is out we're running our first sale of sorts. Use the coupon code SOONISNOW for $20 off this model. It'll be indefinite, at least until the optic cut is ready. Nothing other than the cut will change so no fear, you're not missing out on anything. All future cool widgets will work with what's out there already.

blues
12-02-2016, 09:03 AM
If anyone is on the fence about this holster I'd tell them it's time to jump. My experience with it over the past few months has been excellent...but the real reason I wanted to post is to say that Tom's a pleasure to deal with and anything you can think of in regard to modifications or new wrinkles...I can assure you are details he's already considered.

I happened to call him yesterday in the early evening out of the blue to discuss an idea or two I had regarding the metal spring clip and fitting the holster to both leather and nylon gun belts. Naturally, Tom not only had given those subjects thought already...but had already been tinkering with solutions, both elegant and those of a more Rube Goldberg nature.

Add to that that Tom always makes your phone call seem welcome and is generous with his time and it's an overall experience that's hard to beat.

I picture him as a mad scientist in his kydex holster lab always just a few little touches away from the next cool thing. :cool:

alexdrake
12-15-2016, 05:23 AM
Nice Pictures of the gun !!!
Surely gonna buy this !!!

Leroy Suggs
12-15-2016, 01:40 PM
I ordered one about 2.5 weeks ago set up for iwb. Can't do the G17 AIWB>

blues
12-15-2016, 01:45 PM
I ordered one about 2.5 weeks ago set up for iwb. Can't do the G17 AIWB>

I use the G17 sized holster for 19 & 26. Don't own a 17. I guess lengthwise I could conceal one since I don't have a problem with the length of Tom's holster. Whether the grip would conceal (on my frame) is another. The 19 tucks right in.

Dark Star Gear
12-23-2016, 07:23 PM
We're now offering RMR cuts on the 17 and 34 sized pistols. This will work with MOS, ATEi, L&M, and others with the RMR in front of the rear sight. The Unity Atom will need a mention so we can assure fitment.

LesPaul
04-08-2017, 10:14 PM
I happened to call him yesterday in the early evening out of the blue to discuss an idea or two I had regarding the metal spring clip and fitting the holster to both leather and nylon gun belts. Naturally, Tom not only had given those subjects thought already...but had already been tinkering with solutions, both elegant and those of a more Rube Goldberg nature.

Add to that that Tom always makes your phone call seem welcome and is generous with his time and it's an overall experience that's hard to beat.

I picture him as a mad scientist in his kydex holster lab always just a few little touches away from the next cool thing. :cool:

I know this is an old ass post, but i just wanted to chime in and say i just had a similar experience with him. Called him on a saturday and he spent a good hour on the phone with me talking about all sorts of things holster related. He really opened my eyes to how much thought he's actually put into these things, and never once gave the impression i was annoying him by calling him on a saturday while he was busy working on his house lol.

blues
04-08-2017, 10:17 PM
I know this is an old ass post, but i just wanted to chime in and say i just had a similar experience with him. Called him on a saturday and he spent a good hour on the phone with me talking about all sorts of things holster related. He really opened my eyes to how much thought he's actually put into these things, and never once gave the impression i was annoying him by calling him on a saturday while he was busy working on his house lol.

Good deal, Les. Not surprised in the least.

I've spent a few more hours with Tom on the phone since that conversation you reference...sometimes it's even about holsters. :cool: