PDA

View Full Version : Summary of gun debates - your finger and shooting yourself or they shoot you

Glenn E. Meyer
09-04-2016, 12:13 PM
The cliches:

1. Glock - you will shoot yourself as it has no manual safety and you put your finger on the trigger. True for all non manual safety semis.

2. 1911 - you will shoot yourself unless you have the safety on. However, you will forget to take the safety off and they will shoot you.

3. DA/SA semis - you will not shoot yourself because the first pull is so stiff that even if you rest your finger on the trigger, you won't be able to pull it. However, you will miss your first shot and they will shoot you.

4. Manual safeties on striker guns - you will forget it under stress and they will shoot you

5. Unchambered carry of semis - you will shoot yourself because you are a doofus. However, training and eating lots of kosher food will enable you to rack the gun in speed, without error and even with one hand.

6. Unchambered carry of semis - you are behind the curve, you screw up and they shoot you.

7. Carry a revolver because there has never been a ND with a revolver and 5 to 6 rounds is good enough as you can reload like Jerry in a blurring flash of speed.

8. Be sure to carry your own handloads in 45 ACP as they give the only true stopping power and Mas and the courts be damned. 12 vs. six (decide if you want open or concealed corpse casket carry).

9. A tactical pen, hard pinches and piercing shrieks (heard this from a woman criminologist as to why you shouldn't carry, girls) work better than a 380. 380 is worthless.

10. The correct round for a grizzly bear has yet to be decided

Bored on a crappy day - now, if folks want to come up with evidence pro and con - that is totally irrelevant to the Internet world of gun knowledge.

Other suggestions?

Kyle Reese
09-04-2016, 12:27 PM
11. Junk carry will gitcha kilt.

QuickStrike
09-04-2016, 01:42 PM
^
You will shoot yourself in the junk while drawing, then they will shoot you?

Velo Dog
09-04-2016, 02:42 PM
11. Junk carry will gitcha kilt.

Off body carry will get you killed.
Ankle carry will lose your gun and get you killed.
Cross draw will get you killed with your own gun.
Shoulder holsters will get you and everyone you sweep while drawing killed.
Small of the back carry will break your back.
Pocket carry will get you killed with your pants around your ankles.

Ed L
09-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Wow, Glen. are things so quiet for you on the firing line Forums? :p

MistWolf
09-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Don't use a 5.56 because if you miss the badguy breaking into your home, the bullet will travel through the walls of several houses to kill your mistress and her little dog too.

Don't use a 5.56 because it won't go through the wall of the house the badguy hiding behind and you'll get kilt, leaving your mistress (and her little dog too) to be consoled by your partner

BehindBlueI's
09-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Pocket carry will get you killed with your pants around your ankles.

With the fashion trend of over sized britches worn so the backside hangs out, you might be surprised how many folks actually are killed in the streets with their pants around their ankles. The first time I saw it, I figured the fellow got caught with someone else's girl and got smoked during a hasty retreat. Nope, just tough to return fire, run, and keep your pants up.

I can think of one off hand where a fellow got tripped up by his britches and ended up catching a lethal amount of .223 as he was immobilized. Not a real dignified way to go, IMO.

LSP552
09-04-2016, 03:20 PM
. I can think of one off hand where a fellow got tripped up by his britches and ended up catching a lethal amount of .223 as he was immobilized. Not a real dignified way to go, IMO.

Maybe not dignified, but funny as hell......in a Detective kinda way:D

busykngt
09-04-2016, 04:07 PM
If they have to steal "their 9", they probably can't afford a proper gun belt either. [Just kidding... I know it's a thug "fashion statement" to have your pants draggin' down around yer knees]
--
One more to add to the list: What about revolver carry with hammer down on an empty cylinder? (I sure somebody's got a, "that'll get ya killed because....")

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duelist
09-04-2016, 04:33 PM
If they have to steal "their 9", they probably can't afford a proper gun belt either. [Just kidding... I know it's a thug "fashion statement" to have your pants draggin' down around yer knees]
--
One more to add to the list: What about revolver carry with hammer down on an empty cylinder? (I sure somebody's got a, "that'll get ya killed because....")

If the cylinder's empty, it doesn't make any difference whether the hammer is cocked or not.

Assuming you meant hammer down on an empty chamber, that will keep you from getting killed on the streets if you are still packing an original Colt Peacemaker or pre-73 Ruger single action. Otherwise, you're walking around with one fewer round than the gun is designed to carry, so obviously that will get you killed. Who ever heard about carrying a 5 round gun, anyway?

MistWolf
09-04-2016, 04:41 PM
--

In Utah, you can carry a handgun without a CCW as long as it's not loaded. The definition in the state of Utah of "unloaded" mean that it must take two actions to fire it other than releasing the safety. (Releasing the safety does not count as an action.) Actions include trigger press, racking the slide, cocking the hammer of a single action and so on. So, if you are carrying a double action revolver, if you load it so it take two trigger presses to fire it (and I believe the hammer must initially be down on an empty chamber), it can be carried without a permit

Paul D
09-04-2016, 04:46 PM
In Utah, you can carry a handgun without a CCW as long as it's not loaded. The definition in the state of Utah of "unloaded" mean that it must take two actions to fire it other than releasing the safety. (Releasing the safety does not count as an action.) Actions include trigger press, racking the slide, cocking the hammer of a single action and so on. So, if you are carrying a double action revolver, if you load it so it take two trigger presses to fire it (and I believe the hammer must initially be down on an empty chamber), it can be carried without a permit

That will definitely get you killed in the streets.

Velo Dog
09-04-2016, 04:51 PM
9. A tactical pen, hard pinches and piercing shrieks (heard this from a woman criminologist as to why you shouldn't carry, girls) work better than a 380. 380 is worthless.

Velo Dog
09-04-2016, 05:09 PM
10. The correct round for a grizzly bear has yet to be decided
Any cartridge greater than .380 ACP can prevent bear rape. GJM is apparently confident in .45 Super and his choice of cologne.

eb07
09-04-2016, 05:26 PM
If it doesn't start with a .4 it's not worth carrying

All appendix carry will shoot your balls off

FNFAN
09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Who ever heard about carrying a 5 round gun, anyway?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IZpdJAb73UQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Totem Polar
09-04-2016, 07:00 PM
With the fashion trend of over sized britches worn so the backside hangs out, you might be surprised how many folks actually are killed in the streets with their pants around their ankles. The first time I saw it, I figured the fellow got caught with someone else's girl and got smoked during a hasty retreat. Nope, just tough to return fire, run, and keep your pants up.

I can think of one off hand where a fellow got tripped up by his britches and ended up catching a lethal amount of .223 as he was immobilized. Not a real dignified way to go, IMO.

Small potatoes from the viewpoint of relativity, but: 2 decades ago, when I was briefly working retail in an outdoor gear shop in a downtown mall, the main evening security guy was a mid-20s marine who went about 6 feet and some change, but maybe 200 in his vest. Dirtbag pants were every bit as baggy as now, if not more, and our guy was fairly flexible for a bigger dude. He quickly figured out that if he got any part of the knobby tread from either of his size 11.5 boots *anywhere* on either baggy hem on a dirtbag's pants when they tried running with shoplifted goods, their saggys would go down faster than a Syrian border guard. I saw more than one young thief lose or chip a tooth on the escalator outside our front door in this fashion.
Hitting a fool with the earth (to borrow from Paul Sharp) is apparently really easy when baggy asscrack/boxer jeans do most of the heavy lifting for you.

MistWolf
09-04-2016, 07:33 PM
That will definitely get you killed in the streets.

Sadly, this is true. When I first moved to Utah, I started carrying my 6 inch 686 this way to be in compliance of the law. Two weeks later, I was attacked by a 4 year old girl armed with a large lollipop with which she lambasted my left lobe and spilled my brains out on the mean streets of Blanding. Going through my clothing for loose change, as my dead body lay on the hot asphalt, that purlioning pre-school punk said "If you didn't have to pull the trigger twice, you'd still be alive, sucker!"

I got better, wised up and took the class for my permit. Now, I only have to press the trigger once

Velo Dog
09-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Any cartridge greater than .380 ACP can prevent bear rape. GJM is apparently confident in .45 Super and his choice of cologne.

Do not pocket carry in the Alaskan wilderness lest you accidentally present yourself to an amorous bear.

45dotACP
09-04-2016, 10:22 PM
If it doesn't start with a .4 it's not worth carrying

All appendix carry will shoot your balls off
I thought it was "If it's a 9mm, you won't shoot your balls off...just a through and through with no expansion and a wound that seals itself up with minimal dynamic hydrokinetistatic energy transfer"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk