PDA

View Full Version : M9 and IBA help

MGW
09-01-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm shooting a match in three weeks. There was a change to the uniform this year that I wasn't aware of. I'll need to carry my M9 while wearing an IBA. I've not carried an M9 while wearing body armor before.

There's not a lot of movement involved but there is some. I really don't care for drop leg holsters. I'm not sure how well a chest holster would go over. I'll also be wearing mag pouches for an M4 and the M9. M4 pouches are typically mounted on the front of my IBA and M9 pouches will most likely be offset low and to the left of that (I'm right handed).

I have a short suspense on this and I don't want to spend a ton of money because I'll only use this set up a couple times a year.

What are my options? Links to said options would be helpful.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-01-2016, 08:55 AM
I would start searching eBay for a Safariland dropped offset holster for the M9. They work much better than the drop legs and still clear armor. I have found second hand holsters there VERY cheap.

As for magazine pouches, I like these offerings from Raven Concealment:

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-frames-subload-base/

They should clear your armor and give you a platform to mount whatever holders you are using. You could also combine your pistol and rifle mag holders.

MGW
09-01-2016, 12:32 PM
I would start searching eBay for a Safariland dropped offset holster for the M9. They work much better than the drop legs and still clear armor. I have found second hand holsters there VERY cheap.

As for magazine pouches, I like these offerings from Raven Concealment:

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/moduloader-frames-subload-base/

They should clear your armor and give you a platform to mount whatever holders you are using. You could also combine your pistol and rifle mag holders.

I'll start there. Thanks for the info.

ranger
09-01-2016, 08:22 PM
I bought two used Safariland 6004 holsters off eBay for great price and used one extensively with other as spare (never required).

MGW
09-01-2016, 09:18 PM
They seem to be plentiful on eBay. I may just go that route.

Poconnor
09-01-2016, 09:49 PM
Now you know why the drop leg holsters were so popular. Very armor friendly. Get a safariland off eBay and adjust the strap to ride high

nalesq
09-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Now you know why the drop leg holsters were so popular. Very armor friendly. Get a safariland off eBay and adjust the strap to ride high

Especially if you have stumpy legs like me, I would even cut off the top strap of the two that secure the holster/shroud to the thigh, just to get the whole contraption to ride a bit higher. It'll still be plenty low enough to clear an IBA, it will be easier to access, and it won't flop annoyingly around your knee when you're running around.

OnionsAndDragons
09-01-2016, 10:52 PM
GreggW,

I like a dropped/offset holster any time someone is running a good bit of gear. Doesn't matter if it's just a cramped belt, chest rig or full armor. A secondhand Safariland is probably the best route. If you already have a rig you are comfortable with, check to see what the mounting hole spacing is on it; you can probably just order a D/O mount for it from Bladetech or Safariland.

MGW
09-02-2016, 05:58 AM
GreggW,

I like a dropped/offset holster any time someone is running a good bit of gear. Doesn't matter if it's just a cramped belt, chest rig or full armor. A secondhand Safariland is probably the best route. If you already have a rig you are comfortable with, check to see what the mounting hole spacing is on it; you can probably just order a D/O mount for it from Bladetech or Safariland.

I have a GLS profit. I forget which exact model. Will look tonight.

Spurholder
09-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Especially if you have stumpy legs like me, I would even cut off the top strap of the two that secure the holster/shroud to the thigh, just to get the whole contraption to ride a bit higher. It'll still be plenty low enough to clear an IBA, it will be easier to access, and it won't flop annoyingly around your knee when you're running around.

Yes.

http://www.militarymorons.com/faq/faqs.html

Look about halfway down the page for the 6004 mod.

ADKilla
09-04-2016, 03:53 PM
I stopped wearing drop leg holsters with armor years ago. But if you go the 6004 route, consider purchasing the Drop Flex Adapter. Brings the top of the holster closer to the hip while still keeping if below the armor; less flapping around.

https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holster-systems/mounting-systems/leg-shrouds-and-accessories/model-6004-dfa-drop-flex-adapter-dfa-11109.html

37th Mass
09-04-2016, 08:01 PM
The 6004 is a stalwart design, but when I was deployed I wore the 6378USN ALS and highly recommend it.

http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/tactical-military-holsters/paddle/model-6378usn-als-low-signature-holster-34004.html#start=1

Inside the wire I wore it on the drop flex adaptor that ADKilla links to in the above post. It dropped the holster below my beltline, but not all the way down my thigh.

When I did wear my IBA I moved the holster to a chest mount on my MOLLE. I used the Safariland locking fork system to move the holster quickly from the drop flex adapter to the MOLLE adapter. I wasn't issued an M4 so my pistol didn't have to compete with 30rd mags for real estate on my IBA.